Dlink Versus Tplink

dave111223

I bought a new DLink modem/router from TOT to replace my old modem which wasn't working well.

I feel stupid for getting the DLink as i had a DLink a while ago and it was real piece of crap, but i swallowed everything the TOT guy said and got a new DLink. Anyways i'm having problems with it randomly stalling for a few seconds every once in a while, it's really annoying.

Also the router menu is unbelievably slow and often cannot connect to it.

I'm thinking about taking it back and getting a TPLink one, which TOT also offers, instead. Has anyone used the TPLink one? Are they any good?

I wish i could get a "Billion" brand one. I have one of those at my shop and it runs awesome, never has any problems, but TOT say they don't carry that one any more.

I have used both (3 D-Links) and current TP-Link W8960N. All of the D-Links had overheating troubles; menu was often impossible to understand/adjust but for the most part usable if not ideal. The TP-Link has been outstanding for me - easy to set up and adjust and very cool running (no heat issues at all). It is the more expensive wireless "N" model and for me excellent. But at least one reader bought on my recommendation and had it fail almost immediately so suspect you take your chances whatever you get that it could be defective.

I have used both (3 D-Links) and current TP-Link W8960N. All of the D-Links had overheating troubles; menu was often impossible to understand/adjust but for the most part usable if not ideal. The TP-Link has been outstanding for me - easy to set up and adjust and very cool running (no heat issues at all). It is the more expensive wireless "N" model and for me excellent. But at least one reader bought on my recommendation and had it fail almost immediately so suspect you take your chances whatever you get that it could be defective.

Thanks i think i will try my luck with a TPlink, I hope TOT don't give me a hard time over exchanging it (they said it had a "life time guarantee"... :huh: )

I have the same problem with my Netgear router but I thought that was the ToT connection rather than the router?

The thing that makes me think it's the router is that at the same time the internet stalls the router is frozen (can't connect to the router menu). There is no reason a busted DSL connection should make the router menu freeze up?

why wouldn't you just go straight to a shop an by a Net Gear or some other type of reputable modem rather than throwing more money at the doctored firmware modem/routers provided by your isp?

Because then if you ever have a problem with your internet connection the ISP (TOT in my case) always point to your hardware as the problem.

I agree about the doctored firmware, my first reaction to the problem with the router/modem was to try and update the firmware...went to the DLink website to download it for my model...big red messaging saying "DON'T UPDATE IF TOT ISP"...yay

I've used my Dlink router for years and it's always been fine. I had a Tplink switch and it was crap. YMMV.

Getting a Netgear or a Linksys is a good idea, though. Some Linksys models (Linksys WRT54GL for example) can use Tomato firmware, which would be nice.

I replaced a Linksys WAG320N with my current TP-Link and having much better results. The Linksys did overheat and never re-established connection in a timely manner. In my usage was worse than the D-Links. But perhaps that the model, unit, or just bad luck.

I replaced a Linksys WAG320N with my current TP-Link and having much better results. The Linksys did overheat and never re-established connection in a timely manner. In my usage was worse than the D-Links. But perhaps that the model, unit, or just bad luck.

i have a Linksys WAG320N (bought in Dubai) and it has worked flawlessly for +12 months now and great coverage also with the N.

Seems have good and bad experiences from all brands, some get lucky, some not so.

Edit: - Using it on 3BB.

Edited by TS79