Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not looked at these jet ski scam threads in a while, but glad its still making the front page in this forum, thankfully more to the forum members than the site operators pinning it like suggested long ago.

Unbelievable that this is still allowed to continue after all this time,

I noticed in the video that marinediscoking just posted that a tour bus passes right next to where the fight starts. Seems the bus was empty on this occasion, but could have easily been full of tourists.

Edited by Rimmer
Public figure! you want this topic closed down or what?

Here is another video of the same group while they are still on the beach about 15 minutes before the fight started. Notice the strong arming of the thai guy in brown shorts who was the same person threatening the elderly by stander next to me moments after this. The guy who has his back facing the camera with the long sleeve grey shirt was the one who started the fighting in the other video by kicking the tourist in the stomic.

Edited by marinediscoking

Several of you seem to have a more than casual interest in this scam.

Why don't you start a blog with the stories, pic and videos and link it to various travel sites/forums

Should be easy to get translations for the major languages as well I would think.

looking at the clip i think this could well be the development of the same event i saw the start of.

marindiscoking describes them as middle easteners i called them italians in post 456 but the timing is about right. i saw them get talked into renting about 16 30 right beside the stepped area you can see in vid number 2.

so say 30 mins renting then another half hour for inspection/debate before it kicked off.

i saw 4 rent and 1 or maybe 2 stayed behind on the shore, i knew when they letting them go for 400 it was scam time.

strangely in all the time i have been watching these beach events i have never once seen a punch thrown, plenty of intimidation but never the real deal

2 more disgraceful acts today.

1 by the footie shirt clad brigade (ac milan today ) opposite the blue lagoon sign, must have been ivans because when i passed back 45 mins after it started the big russian "helper" was on the scene.

also there was the extra from the water margin but strangely taking no part in the negotiations unless he was holding back like a bullfighter only coming in after the prey has been softened up

2 nd one opposite burger king which is of course next to mcdonalds royal garden plaza, both occuring just after 16 00

Edited by striderman

looking at the clip i think this could well be the development of the same event i saw the start of.

marindiscoking describes them as middle easteners i called them italians in post 456 but the timing is about right. i saw them get talked into renting about 16 30 right beside the stepped area you can see in vid number 2.

so say 30 mins renting then another half hour for inspection/debate before it kicked off.

i saw 4 rent and 1 or maybe 2 stayed behind on the shore, i knew when they letting them go for 400 it was scam time.

strangely in all the time i have been watching these beach events i have never once seen a punch thrown, plenty of intimidation but never the real deal

They were not itailan, my guess is they were leboneese as I heard them speaking to each other. Before they left the beach a "arab" mediator stepped in (not the inidan) and they were having none of it from him as they could tell he was in on the scam. I did see the other scam moments before on the south side of Mikes, I am not sure where they were from.

I have personally witnessed 3 fights now involving jet ski's and all of them seemed to end up on beach road stopping traffic. This was the first time i had my carmera ready though.

They were not itailan, my guess is they were leboneese as I heard them speaking to each other. Before they left the beach a "arab" mediator stepped in (not the inidan) and they were having none of it from him as they could tell he was in on the scam. I did see the other scam moments before on the south side of Mikes, I am not sure where they were from.

I have personally witnessed 3 fights now involving jet ski's and all of them seemed to end up on beach road stopping traffic. This was the first time i had my carmera ready though.

well they might have had an idea something was coming cos i spoke to 1 of the guys left on the shore as the others were setting off.

i asked him if he spoke english and he said no but i told him anyway his mates were going to be cheated. at that point i left the area immediately

Absolutely xxxxing disgraceful how this scum is ALLOWED to continue operating

As long there are zero IQ people like this the scam will go on.

TRIP ADVISOR REPORT:

Hey Guys,

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approached by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30 min. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didn't give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

When we arrived back after 30 min. there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77,000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completely in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completely out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77,000 to 2,0000 THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shoock up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

TRIP ADVISOR REPORT:

Hey Guys,

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approached by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30 min. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didn't give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

When we arrived back after 30 min. there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77,000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completely in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completely out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77,000 to 2,0000 THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shoock up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

Why do you think they have a low IQ?

He could be saying that AFTER the incident they then heard lots of similar stories.

TRIP ADVISOR REPORT:

Hey Guys,

Why do you think they have a low IQ?

He could be saying that AFTER the incident they then heard lots of similar stories.

Yea, maybe you are right, but i am still amazed so many people have not heard about this, it's all over the net, youtube and so on, and even on tv. People should at least do some basic research before visiting a country.

I would love to find a way to blow all those jet skis up. From a distance by remote of course! Just have to rent it, pop a bomb under the seat and hope they don't detain you on the beach.

BOOM!!

"There. Now there is some damage to it!"

Edited by Bung

furthering anglo / thai relations delayed me getting to my coconut bar walk till 17 00 hrs but plenty of time to come across 2 scams in progress.

1st one about opposite the blue lagoon sign with the footie mob attired in a mix of mainly real madrid with some chelsea and ac milan tops.

could have been russians hard to tell, but 40 mins later when i passed by again they were still at it.

2 nd one opposite pattaya city walk i missed on the first pass but as i returned another russian was offering a fan of at least ten 1,000 bht notes but the thai lady was not interested.

renting ski's can be expensive

You're being negative rinteln.

By keeping this thread alive is about the best that can be done, which is to bring it to peoples attention.

Just Google " jetski Thailand ", you will get this page which mainly about scams.

http://www.google.co...157l4.11.1l16l0

As I expected I knew someone would say I'm being negative.

Look, most people coming here on holiday are not going to preempt to search for scams or in fact anything related to that. Newcomers search for dos & donts in a country, what jabs to have, the climate for that time of year, how to say hello in Thai etc etc. They don't sit around the table with their flight tickets to visit Thailand for the first time and think......ooohh I wonder if we should check if there is a mafia system in that small City in Thailand which endorses ripping tourists off regarding jet skis.......err no !! Travel agents dont advise when booking and nor do travel insurance companies. There is no central system of being warned. The only people who are going to think to search for that kind of stuff are the people that are here already, either expats or people who have been scammed before. The mafia, police and scammers don't care about losing out on them, that's small fish. A large percentage of newcomers to this City wont know in advance. There will always be newcomers hence the scam will always work. Bottom line.

I think there is a danger of being positive just for positive sake, thus wasting time and energy and at times with risk also. Even the guy who is paid to sort it out (The Mayor) is not interested. He knows only a few a photos of him pretending to talk with the chief of police for a meeting about jet skis every 6 months is enough to keep us naive farangs at bay while the scams run and run. I've seen all the pics and the same people are in them all the time and continue to be. How many pics of the same people do these dumb police need to make an arrest or prevent it. The answer is unlimited as they don't want to stop it because its a multi million baht business.This has been going on for years and will go on for years. This wont stop by anything that any of us can/will/have done. This will only stop when 1. the general mentality/endorsement changes and huge peer pressure is made (as I said before thats at least 50-100 years) or 2. Jet skis are totally banned (in my opinion the only way)

Yes the work on forums, word of mouth etc etc may have a small impact for some individuals and is good but I'm afraid your not going to change the general problem and the proof of that is how long the scams have been going on for. To my knowledge at least 7 years. So this means at least 7 years without prevention of the same crime being committed in the same place, by the same people, in the same manner, with masses of evidence and witnesses on standby but despite this has been allowed to happen for all this time and your telling me don't be negative....lol ! Realistic is the keyword.

Edited by rinteln

well i would think any tour reps might mention the problem.

but back in pattaya's version of groundhog day it was business as usual

1 going on with 3 indians opposite mcdonalds about 17 15 being attended to by some barcalona followers

then as i go to pull off beach rd at 17 40 i spy no less than 6 indians on ski's departing todays ac milan wearing fans opposite the blue lagoon sign. Oh dear.!!

needing a beer i popped down to a well known soi 14 bar (off walking st ) for a quick one before returning at 18 15.

i should do the lottery this week as my prediction of what would happen was of course painfully correct.

latest score as i left the gathering gloom ac milan 6 - india 0

Edited by striderman

My 20 year old niece went to Thailand at xmas for 2 weeks. 2 days before she went (on a tour with 3 friends) I asked her where she was going and what she wanted to see. She told me she was going to the full moon party, Bangkok, Phuket. She didn't know the names of any hotels, what areas, what they were going to see etc.

Honestly the only thing she was interested in was the full moon party. I told her of some things to watch out for and it turns out even though she sits at a computer all day she never thought to do any research whatsoever on any of the do's and don'ts. I really had to impress on her the dangers of renting a jet ski.

Then again, this is a girl that blamed the London riots on the Queen because 'she owns England'. Stupidity at its high point.

I'm so ashamed. hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 2

My 20 year old niece went to Thailand at xmas for 2 weeks. 2 days before she went (on a tour with 3 friends) I asked her where she was going and what she wanted to see. She told me she was going to the full moon party, Bangkok, Phuket. She didn't know the names of any hotels, what areas, what they were going to see etc.

Honestly the only thing she was interested in was the full moon party. I told her of some things to watch out for and it turns out even though she sits at a computer all day she never thought to do any research whatsoever on any of the do's and don'ts. I really had to impress on her the dangers of renting a jet ski.

Then again, this is a girl that blamed the London riots on the Queen because 'she owns England'. Stupidity at its high point.

Did she review the Thailand Tourist Authority website?

Certainly, after all these assaults,robberies they have s prominent warning in their site, no?

Certainly, after all these assaults,robberies they have s prominent warning in their site, no?

Why yes pauljones, yes they do. From the TTA site. In a locked filing cabinet in a sub basement where both the lights an stairs are out and a large sign on the door warning to beware of the panthers.

While it should be advised that there are few rules regulating the rental and operation of jet skis, operators that rent them are concerned about their water craft and will provide some brief instruction to ensure that the vehicles are operated properly. However, once aboard the speed and power of a jet ski is an amazing experience, likely to make you forget you even spoke to someone just before pulling back on the throttle. That said, it is particularly important to beware of shallow rocks and reefs, which are frequent around Thailand’s islands and of course swimmers who could be seriously injured by a collision with a large, powerful watercraft.

Thats not very good.

How about:

DO NOT RENT JET SKIS!

Jet Ski operators are unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and are operated by gangs of extortionists that cooperate with corrupt police and city officials.

It is estimated that 300,000 THB a day is extorted from tourists on Pattaya Beach.

Death threats, assaults, hostage taking are common on Thailand's resort beaches.

It is highly recommended you not call the police if you encounter trouble in Thailand.

Have a nice stay.

If there was a particular market (in Phuket or Pattaya) where gangs of extortionists were openly ripping off tourists willy nilly, would the local authorities do anything about it? How about if the gangs of extortionists were ripping off locals on a daily basis? How different is the jetski problem to that scenario?

Thats not very good.

How about:

DO NOT RENT JET SKIS!

Jet Ski operators are unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and are operated by gangs of extortionists that cooperate with corrupt police and city officials.

It is estimated that 300,000 THB a day is extorted from tourists on Pattaya Beach.

Death threats, assaults, hostage taking are common on Thailand's resort beaches.

It is highly recommended you not call the police if you encounter trouble in Thailand.

Have a nice stay.

Well if you are going to be all sensible about it....

I sent a note to the US embassy ([email protected]) with a link to this topic. I doubt it will be posted on their website, unless it can be considered terrorism.

I have been following these scams for quite a while and personally witnessed many including assaults on tourists and fights like the one in the youtube video are common and the person taking it was gutsy taking as the scammers quite often have lookouts for people with cameras quite often people taking photo's have also been assaulted.

It is disgraceful that people have to put themselves in dangerous positions like this.

Thai authorities are well aware that the scams are going on and they could stop it instantly if they were determined to and put in place a video surveillance team to report as soon as a scam occurs.

I have notice that many people complain and report the scams and assaults on the Pattaya future facebook page but no one has been answered .

It may take something like all the embassies getting together and putting pressure on other Government departments.

After being on site watching many of these scam disputes and watching how these guys operate I have no doubts that honest jet ski vendors don't exist on pattaya beach and that the scammers are being controlled by other persons .

Another thing that happens as others have said is quite often the scammers use foreign helpers like some russian and sikh personel.

Thai authorities that allow tourists to rent jet ski's off these jet ski gangs when they know what the outcome will be should be investigated.

Edited by MrMonk

another day and a familiar tale of woe from pattaya beach.

1 opposite royal garden plaza entrance (next to mcdonalds of course) with a couple of lebanese looking in bother. one had his hands up in amazement as to what was happening but the beach guys with the signed rental form were unmoved.

2 nd one i came across opposite the nautical inn where the scuffle took place a few days ago. this one i found after a south korean guy in swim shorts accompanied by a policeman passed me on the coconut bar. by the time i walked past again there were 2 policemen there with 2 south koreans, the debate ongoing. both events about 15 00 /15 30

Edited by striderman

Today opposite Mike’s Shopping mall a big fight broke out at around 5:30pm. A group of Middle Easterners (Nationality unknown) had rented jet skis and before the police could arrive the one of the owners (wearing the long sleeve grey shirt) kicked one of them in the stomach, then several of the jet ski staff jumped in fighting the other renters. After the brief scuffle one of the renters had a big gash on his head with heavy bleeding. I believe he was hit in the head with a motorcycle battery as I saw one of them leaving the scene with it in his hand.

The jet ski owner originally claimed one of renters put a scratch on the front right of the jet ski, but from my vantage point I could see no scratch The outcome and the condition the renters is unknown as I left quickly after that.

The renter in the photo with brown shorts, no shirt and tattoo on his arm was very aggressive, he broke a beer bottle on the ground and then started threatening one of the renters and then to a bystander who told him he should no scam tourist every day like this.

The video is a big shaky.

What a shame.

Pattaya has always been rough around the edges but my last two visits there were my last. It has gone downhill so much and full of more undesirables than ever. Having gone there many, many times in the past, I've never experienced such rude behavior from the locals as I did the last two trips. It was just an overall bad experience pretty much everywhere we went. Pattaya never was a fair representation of "Thailand" and I'm sorry to say that the Mayor has lost all control of this town, or perhaps controls it, whichever, and is driving it into the ground with a quickness. The roads were also in horrible condition, pot holes everywhere and the beach was eroding in several areas. Not something to expect from such a high traffic tourist destination.

Back in the day I used to think Phnem Phen was lawless, and it was. But I've seen more violence in Pattaya in the past few years than I ever did in a lawless Cambodia 10 years ago.

I wish everyone luck who stays there. It's only going to get worse.