Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do they park the jetskis at night? I don't think they leave them in the water.

Th

There is a thread on another board about this. The biggest scammers park at the dock mixed in with the boats. Other scammers pull them out and take them to various locations around the city.

THIS IS ORGANISED CRIME, but because i know and try to respect the forum rules, i cant point any fingers...

All you have to do is follow some of the older local news reports of who is noted as running all the organized crime in chonburi. Then follow the family tree of crime via other reports. You will have your answer.

Apples don't fall far from the tree.

Where do they park the jetskis at night? I don't think they leave them in the water.

Th

There is a thread on another board about this. The biggest scammers park at the dock mixed in with the boats. Other scammers pull them out and take them to various locations around the city.

According to the Mayor, the jet skis operators are unregistered, unlicensed, uninsured and pay nobody to operate on the beach.

I suppose they city just lets them park at night on public property for free too...............

meanwhile yesterday came across 2 indians being done opposite pattaya city walk 15 30 , but today about 16 45 came upon 3 going on at the same time.

1 st one with the footie shirt brigade (mixed bag of clubs today but more ac milan than anything else)opposite the blue lagoon sign.

by the time i came back there were 2 cops, madam jet ski and the extra from the water margin all involved.

2 nd one opposite mcdonalds royal garden plaza 5 lebanese/arabs with another policeman.as i passed the 2nd time no agreement and the cop was directing them to soi 9 police station. best of luck there then!

3 rd one opposite starbucks beach rd 3 or 4 indians again with yet another cop on the scene.

another day on pattaya beach. i could have written this march 2010 when i first came across one for the first time

Edited by striderman

meanwhile yesterday came across 2 indians being done opposite pattaya city walk 15 30 , but today about 16 45 came upon 3 going on at the same time.

1 st one with the footie shirt brigade (mixed bag of clubs today but more ac milan than anything else)opposite the blue lagoon sign.

by the time i came back there were 2 cops, madam jet ski and the extra from the water margin all involved.

2 nd one opposite mcdonalds royal garden plaza 5 lebanese/arabs with another policeman.as i passed the 2nd time no agreement and the cop was directing them to soi 9 police station. best of luck there then!

3 rd one opposite starbucks beach rd 3 or 4 indians again with yet another cop on the scene.

another day on pattaya beach. i could have written this march 2010 when i first came across one for the first time

Shame on Yingluck and her buddies for allowing extortion to run rampant every day.

Shame on Yingluck and her buddies for allowing extortion to run rampant every day.

You don't think Yingluck and her cronnies have bigger fish to fry than a few jetski rip offs in Pattaya? Get real!

JH

You don't think Yingluck and her cronnies have bigger fish to fry than a few jetski rip offs in Pattaya? Get real!

JH

I don't want to go off topic but since you brought it up, I actually think her administration will change some things like the jet ski scam. If she can get some support from the bangkok police like her brother did. Pattaya was different when the bangkok police were closing bars here at 1am every night and 7-11 was not selling alcohol at that time either. I don't remember the jet ski scam starting until about 3 years ago after the coup and I am on my 3rd decade being in Pattaya going to beach almost daily. Now it is very rare when I don't see at least one happening when I am at the beach.

Edited by marinediscoking

According to the Mayor, the jet skis operators are unregistered, unlicensed, uninsured and pay nobody to operate on the beach.

I suppose they city just lets them park at night on public property for free too...............

Would you find it unusual that the biggest most violent scammers are the ones using city property for jet ski parking, while the others have to take their skis home? Some of the scam boys actually live there too, sleeping in boats and in shacks between the boats.

• Like 1

Guess Im kinda bored with this topic. My answer to the original question

JET SKI SCAM PATTAY WHEN WILL IT STOP.... answer NEVER....

It will morph, it will involve different people and different payoffs and there will be noises of crackdowns and cleanups but while tourists are there the scammers will be too...

• Like 1

JH

I am real. I'm more real than Yingluck and her buddies. The reason: I see the jetskii scam as seriously affecting potential tourists' plans for visiting Thailand. Another reason: I would take dynamic action to fix the problem. For anyone with a concern for the health of Thailand's tourism industry, it's a big problem. It's being discussed all over internet travel sites. There are gangs of extortionists ripping off tourists daily. Local authorities are helpless to eradicate it. If that's too small an issue for Yingluck to be concerned with, then that's a sad commentary on her administration.

Wish You Were Here : Episode 3 (Pattaya)

Interesting to see TAT promoting Pattaya with a suggestion jet ski's are fun.

They have forgot to mention scam , extortion ,uninsured.

Edited by MrMonk

Everyone should leave true comments under that video. Looks like some aready have.

My ex used to own and operate a beach-chair business across from RGP and she still goes there as she knows all of the people around there...and even SHE won't use a jet ski unless she knows the jet ski owner very well. She says that even Thai get hit with this crap, although of course they pay a lot less. Personally I won't go near anything rented -- too much chance for a scam. I'd rather own...like when I buy a beer, for instance

TAT is insane :) By the way, in yesterday's newspaper, the 4th of Feb, (I can't say which one but there are two popular English newspapers in Thailand and you can figure it out), there was an article written by a Thai who was cheated on Jomtien beach by jet ski scammers........good reading.

had a friend attacked two days ago for taking a photo of the sunset opposite Mikes. he managed to get a police man to come back with him but the guy left on a jetski while the policeman was pleading that he couldnt see anybody

had my own encounted with the large ladies equaly large son a few nights ago. I accidently said hello to his gf or sister, as it turned out. he went beserk and raced around me on his motorbike swearing at me in Thai while the girl tried to calm him down. everytime he left his anger got the better of him and he would race up to us a swear at me again. after about the 5th time he left for good, but they are very sensitive. all yaabaa adicts Im sure

had a friend attacked two days ago for taking a photo of the sunset opposite Mikes. he managed to get a police man to come back with him but the guy left on a jetski while the policeman was pleading that he couldnt see anybody

had my own encounted with the large ladies equaly large son a few nights ago. I accidently said hello to his gf or sister, as it turned out. he went beserk and raced around me on his motorbike swearing at me in Thai while the girl tried to calm him down. everytime he left his anger got the better of him and he would race up to us a swear at me again. after about the 5th time he left for good, but they are very sensitive. all yaabaa adicts Im sure

You should have your friend take a tourist police next time. That guy will have to go back to work so he will be back on the beach soon enough. Striderman says he has photos of most of them maybe you can have a look at those to identify him.

About 4 months ago one of my friends had his Nikon D-90 lens broken by one of the guys. He claims to have been taking photos of the sunset (he has no care of the scam so I believe him) and one of the guys ran up and knocked it out of his hand. It (the lens) broke on the sidewalk and he lost a $1000 lens. The camera lived thankfully. They got into a little fight over it and he was able to get away before he was mobbed.

Long story short, none of the police or tourist police did anything about it. They said there was nothing that could really be done about it because there was no way to find the guy. They didn't even care about the fight he said and they refused to review any of the local CCTV cameras that may have captured the event and ID the attacker. These scammers are so protected it is not even funny. It's painfully obvious where the protecting is coming from. It's a shame Thailand's libel laws or so strict, but I'm sure they set it up on purpose just so the criminals, usually those in power, can get away with everything. For as ignorant as many of them seem, that law was nothing short of pure genius.

Will TAT act on jetski rip-offs?

February 7, 2012 1:00 am

Imagine there are groups of young Thai men who extort money from tourists on a daily basis?

The ripped-off amounts are Bt10,000 to Bt60,000 each incident. Would that be important enough for the TAT or the Yingluck administration to take notice?

In an average month during the "high season", roughly 600 tourists have their Thai vacations ruined on the beaches of Pattaya and Phuket, and the extortionists steal between Bt3 million and Bt5 milion from their victims during that time.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Will-TAT-act-on-jetski-rip-offs-30175269.html

Everyone should leave true comments under that video. Looks like some aready have.

There are quite a few comments under that video now lets hope TAT atleast read them maybe they should send some one down to Pattaya and get them to start taking a few photos close to the scammer and see if they get their camera gear destroyed like many others have in the last 12 months or more.

You should have your friend take a tourist police next time. That guy will have to go back to work so he will be back on the beach soon enough. Striderman says he has photos of most of them maybe you can have a look at those to identify him.

not all of them esp the footsoldiers only some of the players who confront the tourists, and even then last trip which was several weeks i could not find 4 of the regular scammers. as it seems impossible for them to suffer retribution as a result of jet ski rentals i can only presume they have fallen foul of the law in another field. I find it hard to believe they have simply got tired of counting piles of jet ski cash on a daily basis

We only see a small part of what really goes on and l hope these people are ok because there are many reports where hotel staff are to scared to call the police .

I watched a scamming taking place around soi 13/1 a while back. I was standing across the street having come out of Starbucks, so I stood there watching for a while. I crossed the street and started walking up beach road and before I got to the incident there were Thai men telling me not to go that way. They have lookouts staking the area out. After this much time and as many scams as they have run, the operation is very well refined and organized.

We only see a small part of what really goes on and l hope these people are ok because there are many reports where hotel staff are to scared to call the police .

I watched a scamming taking place around soi 13/1 a while back. I was standing across the street having come out of Starbucks, so I stood there watching for a while. I crossed the street and started walking up beach road and before I got to the incident there were Thai men telling me not to go that way. They have lookouts staking the area out. After this much time and as many scams as they have run, the operation is very well refined and organized.

I just read on the mayors facebook page that justice is coming any minute now. Any minute....

Some guy named Mike is on there speaking on his behalf saying they are about to do something. Yea right. Probably more photos on the beach and another meeting. More smoke blown up everyone's bottom.

Edited by Rimmer
racist slur

[

I just read on the mayors facebook page that justice is coming any minute now. Any minute....

Some guy named Mike is on there speaking on his behalf saying they are about to do something. Yea right. Probably more photos on the beach and another meeting. More smoke blown up everyone's bottom.

they like meetings and setting up commitees but they rarely get round to actually deciding anything worthwhile.

in the case of jet ski's those guys will either ignore any new rules or find a way round them. it will be all smoke and mirrors and everything will stay the same

• 2 weeks later...

It was in the paper where the city will be spending 140 million baht to "beautify" the Beach Road promenade. It mentions making it more attractive by adding more landscaping, re-doing the walkway, and getting better quality beach umbrellas so they all match. Nothing is mentioned about "beautifying" the beach by terminating the jet ski scammers. Let's face it. The mayor and the city district representatives have no power over this particular mafia group. The city officals can only throw music festivals, firework shows, and make physical changes such as installing Dolphin street lights and such.

Edited by toenail

Any further reports???

It is still happening daily. I have not been on the beach as much as usual but I saw a scam a few days ago across from Mike's involving a group of indian renters. See photo below.

Strangely at the same time another indian was sitting on the wall a few meters from the scammers and was warning other indians not to rent because of the extortion. The one lady (part of the gang) was in his face screaming telling him to leave. He was really holding his ground and I thought it was going to get ugly as this went on for some time.. He kept telling them he was an ex tourist police volunteer and he knows plenty of big police. He eventually left but it was an intense situation.

post-72597-0-61370300-1329744710_thumb.j

post-72597-0-90580300-1329744796_thumb.j

sounds like 1 brave indian. Difficult place to take photos of the scam at that bit of beach as there is very little tree cover and lots of scam helpers looking out for folks taking pics.

I have taken a lot of pics there in the past but since the scam video appeared on you tube (which was shot in that area) they are much more jumpy and aware of falangs with cameras.

now it's a very quick long range shoot and scoot, and get out of dodge for me. i am much more careful now to avoid being seen.

Any further reports???

It is still happening daily. I have not been on the beach as much as usual but I saw a scam a few days ago across from Mike's involving a group of indian renters. See photo below.

Strangely at the same time another indian was sitting on the wall a few meters from the scammers and was warning other indians not to rent because of the extortion. The one lady (part of the gang) was in his face screaming telling him to leave. He was really holding his ground and I thought it was going to get ugly as this went on for some time.. He kept telling them he was an ex tourist police volunteer and he knows plenty of big police. He eventually left but it was an intense situation.

The beach has turned into a war zone.

Thai scammers vs tourists.

The police siding with the criminals.

Libelous post removed,

Please note the following: The website owner is responsible for all content on his site in Thailand and posting information willfully intended to injure the reputation, causing economic damage or defaming a person in Thailand is a criminal offense punishable by two to five years in prison and a steep fine. In Addition, the defamed party can initiate a civil action to recoup any loss of income caused by the false and defaming statements.