Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't international embassies just put in a warning not to hire jet skis? If enough did that the negative publicity could force the powers that be to actually do something about it.

Yes, and also all the hotels and guesthouses, organize and coordinate an action plan such as notifying their guests of the scam and not to use the jet-skis. Bulletins in the lobby, hand-outs at check-in, etc., all in the name of protecting their guests. That might even get the attention of city hall too.

Why can't international embassies just put in a warning not to hire jet skis? If enough did that the negative publicity could force the powers that be to actually do something about it.

Many already do so - example from Australian government, the site is regularly advertised in the local media - up to citizens to review before traveling.

http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

It still does not seem to have any noticeable effect. I would like to see all airlines flying into Thailand to issue warnings to their passengers.

It still does not seem to have any noticeable effect. I would like to see all airlines flying into Thailand to issue warnings to their passengers.

as I mentioned before - there is not a lot they can do except issue a general caution otherwise they could have lawsuits against them, don't forget the jetski operators have evidence that says the damage is legit, we can all form our own opinions about what we think (and know) they are doing but a court may not see it that way, the only way this will stop is if the operation is strictly regulated or the authorities pursue them with some sort of sting operation that catches them red handed in the act, this might all seem straight forward but it definately isn't.

Post something like this in every hotel, guesthouse lobby, and room. Obviously takes a co-ordinated effort but it might get the real attention of the powers that be.:

JETSKI ADVISORY

Dear Guests,

News media continues to report of extortion demands for large some of monies for hidden damage by some Jet Ski operations along Pattaya Beach Road. For your own protection, we recommend you do not rent Jet Skis.

Thank you,

The Management

They cannot say that or anything like it because there is an accusation in the text which is what I'm getting at - to make an accusation you need definative proof "and if you don't have it" leave yourself open to a lawsuit

At most all you can do is give people a guide as to what to do if they wish to rent a jetski such as take your own photo's etc before using it and what to do if you have a dispute, that is just about as far as you can go.

why can't the police cut a deal with the scammers where max extortion amount is like 5,000 baht, at the hourly rate thry ask most renters should be able to chip-in this small contribution to the operations and keep everyone happy :P

There are so many things happening in the world, that embassies and especially, the air lines cannot post notices for everything. Hotels putting up notices? There would be notices 10 m long, with all the scams, and maybe at the top of the list, would be the hotels themselves!

Its the officials that are keeping this scam alive, police or others. Even taking pics of your jet ski before you go out is not enough, since some of the pieces are just glued on with glue that melts after a while, what do you do then?

Us that live here, of course dont rent jet skis, and everyone coming to Thailand, doesent read TV or know it even exist. You cant blame the victim for getting scamed, since im sure, everyone of us here, have been scammed at least once. Ive rented the ski's, and they are fun, but that was before I knew about scams,

They cannot say that or anything like it because there is an accusation in the text which is what I'm getting at - to make an accusation you need definative proof "and if you don't have it" leave yourself open to a lawsuit

At most all you can do is give people a guide as to what to do if they wish to rent a jetski such as take your own photo's etc before using it and what to do if you have a dispute, that is just about as far as you can go.

You raise a valid point and that is why the message must be kept unspecific; no names, just a warning that you are using a service at your own risk. No names mentioned so who could sue? The scam was been well documented by the news media but the problem is getting the word out to the general public that doesn't use ThaiVisa or watch the local news on T.V. or read local newspapers.

I wonder if the goons who keep making these ridiculous press releases, ever sit back and think about how full of complete BS they are? Logic would say they would lose face by making so many promises they can not keep, but logic has nothing to do with Thailand, and law has nothing to do with Pattaya, so I guess let the goons keep gooning and pretend they are doing something.

I wonder if the goons who keep making these ridiculous press releases, ever sit back and think about how full of complete BS they are? Logic would say they would lose face by making so many promises they can not keep, but logic has nothing to do with Thailand, and law has nothing to do with Pattaya, so I guess let the goons keep gooning and pretend they are doing something.

So....what's your point again?

still going strong oposite Mikes, a group of Arabs, their wifes all happy photogrphing them etc as they come in, a large turn out of tourists watching the sunset, the scammers in jubalent mood knowing they are about to cash in, I had to leave because I cant watch these <deleted>

I did walk past in about 20 mins or so and sure enough they have moved up onto the steps, the Thai bitch lady is running around screaming in front of all the tourists "f*** you, you think I big money, you break my jetski, you give me money now, f*** you"

these thugs havent slowed down at all, not only are they violently extorting money, they dont give a shit if they do it in public in front of a large audience

Edited by wans

Travel news September 24, 2012

Jet ski

A Thai scam forcing tourists to pay hefty compensation for damage to jet skis they didn’t actually cause has been getting increasingly violent in recent years, with knives being pulled on some victims. A group, often carrying weapons, forces travellers to pay thousands of dollars after using the jet skis. Some tourists have tried photographing the jet skis before renting them but many come painted in water soluble paint, so they look good on dry land but it washes off in the water to reveal nasty gashes. There have also been allegations police won’t help as they’re also involved in the scams.

Read more: http://www.news.com....6#ixzz27NFH2v00

Officials look to Phuket insurance program as model to resolve Pattaya jet ski scams

Pattaya officials plan to require jet ski operators to carry insurance that, they hope, will end the extortion scams that have ravaged the city’s image.

At a Sept. 17 meeting of the emergency committee formed to resolve the long-running issue, Chonburi Gov. Khomsan Ekachai said Thaisri Insurance plc has been signed to provide insurance cover for the 452 jet skis operating in Pattaya, Jomtien Beach and Koh Larn.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/officials-look-to-phuket-insurance-program-as-model-to-resolve-pattaya-jet-ski-scams-17062?ref=pmci

Officials Get Serious About New Jet Ski Rules

Several Pattaya jet ski operators were found in violation of the new jet ski rules during a random check by officials on Pattaya Beach. They were ordered to fix the violations. Officials will be making weekly random checks of Pattaya and Jomtien beaches to monitor jet ski operators to curb tourist rip-offs.

PATTAYA – September 27, 2012 [PDN]: A random check of jet ski operators at Pattaya beach was conducted by Mr. Ronnakij Ekasing, vice president of Muang Pattaya and the chairman of the committee for solving the problems about Pattaya jet ski renters; Pol. Col. Thammanoon Mankong, director of Muang Pattaya police station; Mr. Pongthasit Pichanan, the general secretary of Prevention and Suppression division of Banglamung district; Mr. Ekaraj Kantharo, the professional authority of the marine department; Mr. Adisorn Phollook-inta, consultant of the minister of the Labor and Social Welfare ministry; and other related enforcement officers.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/09/28/officials-get-serious-about-new-jet-ski-rules/

The latest attempt by local authorities to solve the jet ski scams, which have so besmirched the reputation of Thai beach resorts for years, is moving very slowly in spite of numerous promises of swift action. Chonburi provincial governor Komsan Aekchai last month set up yet another new committee of Pattaya officials, police and jet ski operators to try and hammer out a permanent solution to the flood of tourist and foreign embassy complaints.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/little-progress-on-jet-ski-saga/

so all jetski's over 3 years old will not be allowed to operate as the insurance company won't insure them, also the insurance company needs to register each ski and log existing damage so they themselves don't get ripped off and then refuse to cover, also the limit of 2000baht is hardly going to work as according to the operators every damaged jetski runs into 10's of thousands to repair

I honestly can't see how this will work if left as it is

Hmmmmmm !! Let's see , I Know , let's form a committee to discuss this Jet Ski blight on Pattaya.

But that has been done !

Doesn't matter we'll get into the media & it will show we are trying.

But we can't stop it.

Our new word for all scams "PERCEPTION" it works !!!!

clap2.gif

Combined with other regulatory changes, Khomsan said, tourists no longer would be victimized and forced to pay tens of thousands of baht in compensation for alleged damage to the watercraft.

The governor told the more than 100 jet ski operators in attendance that their premiums would cost less than operators pay in Phuket, which local officials looked to as a model solution. However, Phuket’s local police commander recently called the island’s compulsory insurance program a failure and foreign embassies are complaining tourists are still being ripped off.

Phuripat Theerakulpisut, chief of Phuket’s Marine Office 5, insisted to foreign embassy counsels Sept. 17 that tourists need not pay any money to jet ski operators even if they are involved in accidents. The diplomats disagreed, however, saying rogue jet ski vendors still are charging victims up to 16,000 baht for alleged damage, with some even making customers sign rental contracts promising to pay 3,000 baht a day for each day a boat is out of the water.

In July, Phuket Police Deputy Commander Colonel Pirayut Karajedi told the media the compulsory insurance program was an outright “failure.”

Pattaya’s program would not only be less expensive for vendors, but cover far less for tourists. Unlike Phuket’s program, which covers full damage and personal injury, the deal Chonburi officials inked with Thaisri offers maximum payouts of just 2,000 baht. By comparison, scamming jet ski vendors have been trying to extort as much as 150,000 baht out of victims.

Khomsan said the Thaisri deal was the best the province could get because none of the other insurance companies approached would cover jet skis.

Under Thaisri’s policies, jet skis would only be insurable if they are less than three years old. Victims of accidents would not be covered at all for injury or death and jet ski owners would only be compensated up to 2,000 baht. Premiums - which were not specified - would be paid annually.

Other regulatory changes are also planned, the governor said. The city will freeze the number of jet skis allowed to operate on area beaches at the current level of 452. By comparison, only 278 jet skis are allowed to operate on the entire island of Phuket.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/officials-look-to-phuket-insurance-program-as-model-to-resolve-pattaya-jet-ski-scams-17062?ref=pmci

The Phuket mandatory insurance program has been an 'outright failure' so Pattaya City Hall has decided to use that model?

Too bad the Journalists are afraid to follow up and ask hard questions.

Edited by pauljones
  • Like 1

so all jetski's over 3 years old will not be allowed to operate as the insurance company won't insure them, also the insurance company needs to register each ski and log existing damage so they themselves don't get ripped off and then refuse to cover, also the limit of 2000baht is hardly going to work as according to the operators every damaged jetski runs into 10's of thousands to repair

I honestly can't see how this will work if left as it is

I reread the article and it seems that the 2000baht is the anual premium and not a compensation cap, so basically if this works the tourist has no obligation at all

The insurance company will regulate the damage so no repeat payments will be made and I assume would not cover normal wear and tear.

I was under the impression that Phuket is near enough scam free according to a poster here some months ago or at least not nearly as bad as it was - I guess there will always be the odd incident if they feel they can get away with it.

If they post city hall officials on the beach then this could actually work, lets see what happens

I reread the article and it seems that the 2000baht is the anual premium and not a compensation cap, so basically if this works the tourist has no obligation at all

If that is the premium, I can't imagine an insurance company that would insure a $10,000 piece of imported equipment (used daily as a rental- and by inexperienced operators) against damage- and only charge $60 per year. That in itself seems a recipe for failure.

And for anyone wanting to post back that "jet skis don't cost $10K", fill in your own number... I have no clue what they cost here in Thailand after paying all fees, duties, transport, taxes, registration, etc. Don't like 'em so I don't care, either.

TBH the reality is that little can happen to a jetski in the water (apart from wear and tear) that would expose the insurance company to high risk - yes I know that the operators are claiming hundreds of thousands of damage every day from tourists but that is not real damage - they will not be able to scam the insurance company

The only way I see this failing is if the tourist is unaware of the regulations and the police continue to turn a blind eye, if there is a dispute and officials are called the simple response should be - tourist not responsible for damage you have insurance and anyone caught not conforming to the regulations should have their equipment and them removed from the beach licence revoked fined bye bye.........pipe dream lol