When Is A Gun Not A Gun ?

LivinLOS

Pellet guns for pest control is illegal because it is illegal to kill or hunt animals in Thailand.

Its illegal to kill my own animals on my own property ??

Yes, as I understand animals are protected by royal decree!

So farmers cant kill their livestock ??

I find this very hard to believe..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably best to invest in a deterrent. Like a fierce dog, cctv, burglar alarm, walls and fence etc?

As for vermin, you can poison them, trap them, shoot them with slingshot or crossbow. Actually slingshots are more accurate than handguns. Dont believe me, ill take my slingshot to the shooting range and prove it.

Not so, 18 inch shotguns are available in the UK but you will need a FAC and a reason to own

True, I used to own several shotguns with barrels less than 24 inches, and so these were detailed on my FAC, not my shotgun certificate.

Simon

Probably best to invest in a deterrent. Like a fierce dog, cctv, burglar alarm, walls and fence etc?

As for vermin, you can poison them, trap them, shoot them with slingshot or crossbow. Actually slingshots are more accurate than handguns. Dont believe me, ill take my slingshot to the shooting range and prove it.

:)

While I agree a slingshot can be very accurate & also arrows which I can put into the back of another arrow at 25 yards/meters

I would take you up on the offer of a sling shot against a pistol at 25 yards/meters as long as I am allowed to

be the one shooting the pistol & you the sling shot of course ;)

:)

While I agree a slingshot can be very accurate & also arrows which I can put into the back of another arrow at 25 yards/meters

I would take you up on the offer of a sling shot against a pistol at 25 yards/meters as long as I am allowed to

be the one shooting the pistol & you the sling shot of course ;)

I think you could both agree this argument could run and run. Providing the weapons, (slingshot/handgun) used are of a good quality, It thenonly really comes down to the operator skill level.

Handguns are inherently very difficult to use accurately, (in the real world, forget Hollywood)) due to so many variables. Slingshot, the same, with more variables due to more human input in the operation.

Having said this some people with self-training and dedication can become extremely accurate with either of the weapons mentioned here.

'flying' are you talking about comp spec .22 or larger Cal?

'BuffaloRescue' I've no reason to dispute you proficiency with a slingshot, but if I was a betting man I would have to back the handgun, especially if this 'shoot-off' was based on consistence as well as accuracy, purely because there are so many more variables, (human in put) that can throw your shoots.

But should you ever meet up to send to some down range, I would love to know how it goes, and possible find myself proved wrong!

Tonto

flying' are you talking about comp spec .22 or larger Cal?

For speed & multi target I like .38 super compensated 1911 frame type

For straight target/bowling pin type competition where speed is not a factor

I like a light load (3.8-4 grain bullseye powder with a 185-200 grain semi wadcutter bullet ).45acp still 1911 frame type

flying' are you talking about comp spec .22 or larger Cal?

For speed & multi target I like .38 super compensated 1911 frame type

For straight target/bowling pin type competition where speed is not a factor

I like a light load (3.8-4 grain bullseye powder with a 185-200 grain semi wadcutter bullet ).45acp still 1911 frame type

You seem to know your onions…regarding propellant, I know very little, apart from the basic effect changes have in respect to propellant load. I just shoot what was given to me. There was no finesse required in my job. My whole thing, when shooting was to just knock over, smash, wreck or distract, I didn't need a' 10 Rd, 1" group at 200. All my best shooting came from full bore military issue, rifle, bolt, semi and full auto, I loved shooting, and if I was to blow my own trumpet, I have to say I was pretty good with any countries standard issue main weapon, standing, iron-sights 300m, I could hit a standing target, (fig 11) say 8 out of 10. But, I was crap with hand guns and machine pistols, I could use them for sure and you wouldn't stand in front of me and take the piss, let's put it that way, but I saw way to many get shot by hand guns and machine pistols than were meant too. I actually used to feel safer when hand grenades got used, (that's out going……Not incoming!) than hand guns. But each to his own.

You seem to know your onions…regarding propellant, I know very little, apart from the basic effect changes have in respect to propellant load. I just shoot what was given to me. There was no finesse required in my job. My whole thing, when shooting was to just knock over, smash, wreck or distract, I didn't need a' 10 Rd, 1" group at 200. All my best shooting came from full bore military issue, rifle, bolt, semi and full auto, I loved shooting, and if I was to blow my own trumpet, I have to say I was pretty good with any countries standard issue main weapon, standing, iron-sights 300m, I could hit a standing target, (fig 11) say 8 out of 10. But, I was crap with hand guns and machine pistols, I could use them for sure and you wouldn't stand in front of me and take the piss, let's put it that way, but I saw way to many get shot by hand guns and machine pistols than were meant too. I actually used to feel safer when hand grenades got used, (that's out going……Not incoming!) than hand guns. But each to his own.

Yes accuracy is fun. not just with firearms but archery etc. It is a meditative sort of discipline.

The rifles of course are always the pinnacle & the ones you list are still the mainstays.

Nothing is as accurate as a bolt for distance due to the manner the round is locked down for each shot..

As for handguns it is it's own discipline & to be fair you were probably using stock handguns.

Handguns much more so than long guns need tuning to be accurate consistently. Especially semi auto's

as they need to return to battery the same each time or you will never have accuracy.

Then of course the ammo must be a good match for the firearm.

If everyone that owned a gun just shot themselves in the head we wouldn't have a gun problem. ( George Harrison).

'DaamNaam' do you agree with George's view on how to solve this problem?………Well, if so I think it's probably good you don't like hand guns with an outlook like that to solving the issue of weapon ownership.

If I may give you a quote from another icon of our time; "Rock stars………Is there anything they don't know"...(Homer Simpson)

Personally I think Homer says more truth in his quotes than all the rock stars put together and that's not saying much.