When Is A Gun Not A Gun ?

LivinLOS

I cant get a straight answer on what defines the need over firearms registration (Something farangs cannot do).

The law I have found claims that any device, that shoots any projectile, via even spring or compressed gas needs a firearms license / registration.

That law is so broad reaching it would include paint ball guns, airsoft guns, even many childrens toys sold in the toy isle of Big C. It would (device with spring) include catapults and slingshots.

So is this just a case of there is no clear law and its impossible to know what is legal and or not legal ?? Its on the whim of the officer ?? Is there no clear definition on when an air gun becomes a registered firearm ?? Nothing concerning muzzle velocity, ft/lb force, pellet type, or propellant charging types ?? Your usual roundabout undefined legal mess ??

I see Thais often using low power pneumatic (pump up) ball bearing versions without any issue. But just because Thais do it doesnt make it the law. Can a farang import and or purchase something like a .22 Pre charged pneumatic air rifle ??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a farang import and or purchase something like a .22 Pre charged pneumatic air rifle ??

In short No it will be confiscated !!!

I have always owned guns and when I came to Thailand to retire, I looked into ownership.

As you say I could not have a gun license but my wife can.

When asked about airguns the guy in the shop smiled and said they do not allow them in Thailand but your wife after she has gone to the police station for papers she can purchase a Revolver, a Rifle or a Shotgun.:blink:

Edited by Kwasaki

Its likely the wife will go for her gun papers next year, in a home where I will have a proper gun cabinet, but thats for her security not me.

My point tho is, when is an airgun defined as becoming an air gun ??

Airsoft guns are sold all over the country, in malls and over the counter. BB guns also seems sold.. Paintball guns exist without problem. All of these are air powered pellet firing devices. They all seem legal to buy own and sell.

So where is the legal line ?? the type of pellet ?? The type of pneumatic ?? the muzzle velocity ?? of Ft/lb power ?? Otherwise what distinction is there from one accepted pellet firing device, to another not accepted pellet firing device.

There has to be a legal line, otherwise then the Big C toy isle is selling unlicensed firearms !!

firearms, traditional bullets and shotgun cartridges, need purchase lisence, registration of gun to owner, followed by owners lisence issued by local Amphur. Its for lifetime, and is for use in private property only. When transported between properties, bullets and gun must be separated, like gun in glovebox and bullets in trunk, except when going by airplane as it is checked in as special baggage. Lisence is for a gun holding max 10 bullets

I have had a Glock19 in TH since 2004, able to hold 15 +1, but lisenced for 10 bullets only

other "guns", spring, co2 etc, importer/seller needs to be lisenced but not buyer

Lisence for firearms have been issued to a few foreigners

I had read you couldnt get a gun license unless you were at PR stage. However this is only really about pellet guns..

Where the line between airsoft / BB / Paintball and more advanced and powerful 'plinkers' lies. Your saying that air guns of any sort do not need licensing ?? Thats contrary to what I had heard and a Phuket gazette statement (but not a clear one, as always).

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=228

Foreigners may have a gun license and own a gun only if they have a Thai house registration (tabien baan) paper [see also http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=227 ]. This also applies in the case of air guns. If you want to bring a gun into the country you must already have a gun license and you must ask permission beforehand from the Customs Department.”

And the linked statement in that says that you cant get a tabien baan unless you have PR.

I had read you couldnt get a gun license unless you were at PR stage. However this is only really about pellet guns..

Where the line between airsoft / BB / Paintball and more advanced and powerful 'plinkers' lies. Your saying that air guns of any sort do not need licensing ?? Thats contrary to what I had heard and a Phuket gazette statement (but not a clear one, as always).

Sorry, given up trusting the head honchos in Phuket. DLT, Labourdepartment, Immigration, they all come up with od "rules"

Gun lisences have been issued to non PR sivilians farang

but as a foreigner, we are not allowed to import any of them if we do not have a lisence

buying any pellet gun from a lisenced importer/retailer is legal for everyone in TH above 18 years old. Cant state anything about carrying it in public tho

"And the linked statement in that says that you cant get a tabien baan unless you have PR."

Not true. You can get a 'yellow book'. I think there is info about that in the pinned topics.

Yes but a yellow house book is not a full tabien baan is it ??

I thought the yellow book was merely farang registered address..

But anyway.. Off Topic..

buying any pellet gun from a lisenced importer/retailer is legal for everyone in TH above 18 years old. Cant state anything about carrying it in public tho

This is what I had seen..

Firearms Registration

Definition

"Firearms" refers to all types of weapons employ explosions, gas pressure, and other kinds of mechanisms desired, from every or any part of the weapons to drive bullets, as deemed relevant by the Minister and specified in Ministerial regulations.

Person (s) authorized to issue Firearms Licenses

Permission to possess firearms and ammunition.

Firearms Licenses with the Bangkok Metropolitan area will be issued by the Chief of the Registration Division (Central Investigation Bureau) or by an Acting Officer.

Firearms Licenses for areas other than Bangkok will be issued by the Chief District Officer (a local Registrar).

Which as you can see would include BB guns, airsoft, paintball and even childrens toys.

Thailand is patronage system. Anyone can get a license to own a gun but not everyone can get a license to carry one. Frankly, why would a foreigner want a gun when knowing everything in the law book is gonna be thrown at him/her when he/she uses it even for self defense and in your own home. Frankly, guns are over rated here. If really want to own guns, try Phils, Cam and Viet. A foreigner would really need to own one especially in the boondocks.

Thailand is patronage system. Anyone can get a license to own a gun but not everyone can get a license to carry one. Frankly, why would a foreigner want a gun when knowing everything in the law book is gonna be thrown at him/her when he/she uses it even for self defense and in your own home. Frankly, guns are over rated here. If really want to own guns, try Phils, Cam and Viet. A foreigner would really need to own one especially in the boondocks.

I am talking about a pest control pellet airgun.. For plinking around on my own land.

Not a pistol or or other bullet or cartridge firing weapon.

Edited by LivinLOS

Can a farang import and or purchase something like a .22 Pre charged pneumatic air rifle ??

I have always owned guns and when I came to Thailand to retire, I looked into ownership.

When asked about airguns the guy in the shop smiled and said they do not allow them in Thailand but your wife after she has gone to the police station for papers she can purchase a Revolver, a Rifle or a Shotgun.:blink:

Think ladies are limited too .22. IF you have a Thai cop friend he can buy anything in his name and your lady can keep it for 5 years and then get it transferred into her name.

Well, thats what my Thai cop friend tells me. ;):)

Fairly sure thats not the case.. I know Thai women registered for 12 gauge riot pump shotgun, another for a 45 semi, stuff like that. All had taken all the legal steps and most had done some gun club training.

However the merits of real guns sint what I want to legally define.

Its why is a BB gun or a paintball gun legally different from a pellet gun ?? Where is the distinction.

Fairly sure thats not the case.. I know Thai women registered for 12 gauge riot pump shotgun, another for a 45 semi, stuff like that. All had taken all the legal steps and most had done some gun club training.

However the merits of real guns sint what I want to legally define.

Its why is a BB gun or a paintball gun legally different from a pellet gun ?? Where is the distinction.

Firearms Thailand is a bit of a grey area really IMO.

Distinction !!! A pellet gun as you call em work on air as you know, over a certain psi they can become firearms and can be lethal.

If you got pests a catapult is quite affective with some practice can also be lethal.

BB guns are pretty tame anyway and paint ball guns because of the size of the projectile but they bloody hurt without the right clothing.

It's still illegal but as mentioned, if no one is hurt, you will be safe. The shootings we read about by technical students are basically these pistols but modified to fire at a greater velocity but still bearings or pellets.

I am talking about a pest control pellet airgun.. For plinking around on my own land.

Not a pistol or or other bullet or cartridge firing weapon.

firearms, traditional bullets and shotgun cartridges, need purchase lisence, registration of gun to owner, followed by owners lisence issued by local Amphur. Its for lifetime, and is for use in private property only. When transported between properties, bullets and gun must be separated, like gun in glovebox and bullets in trunk, except when going by airplane as it is checked in as special baggage. Lisence is for a gun holding max 10 bullets

I have had a Glock19 in TH since 2004, able to hold 15 +1, but lisenced for 10 bullets only

There's no Glock 19 magazine sold in Thailand that will hold only 10 rounds. There's also no reference to number of rounds allowed in the license, nor is there any limit to how much ammo you can stockpile (I have about 1,000 rounds myself). Have never seen it on any of ours. Perhaps this is something new as of this year or maybe last.

:)

So ...... Just buy the house, move in your family and hope the bad guys don't come in and hack you all up some night because you have no way to defend yourself ? Sorry, where I come from people are allowed to protect themselves and their families. "Guns are over rated", what was the last novel you read ? I've spent my life protecting the general public, so when I hear people say they have no right to protect themselves and they should move to another country, it upsets me a little. You are wrong and misinformed. Thailand has become a dangerous place in many areas due to the poor economic conditions, the drug problems and the easy accessibility of weapons. People have a right to protect themselves anywhere in the world, especially in a democracy. In my country, it's in a law called the Bill of Rights, the second amendment to be precise.

So ...... Just buy the house, move in your family and hope the bad guys don't come in and hack you all up some night because you have no way to defend yourself ? Sorry, where I come from people are allowed to protect themselves and their families. "Guns are over rated", what was the last novel you read ? I've spent my life protecting the general public, so when I hear people say they have no right to protect themselves and they should move to another country, it upsets me a little. You are wrong and misinformed. Thailand has become a dangerous place in many areas due to the poor economic conditions, the drug problems and the easy accessibility of weapons. People have a right to protect themselves anywhere in the world, especially in a democracy. In my country, it's in a law called the Bill of Rights, the second amendment to be precise.

It is called a well regulated militia and I donot believe Thailand has a bill of rights 2nd amendment

There's no Glock 19 magazine sold in Thailand that will hold only 10 rounds.

If it is a problem....

This problem is solved in many States

You just remove the spring & follower of the higher capacity magazine.

You place a block ( wood or other material) into the magazine to take up the excess space

(in this case equal to 4 or 5 bullets.) Cut the spring to the new length & reinstall with the follower.

You now have a 10 round mag that functions as well as the original.

Edited by flying

Distinction !!! A pellet gun as you call em work on air as you know, over a certain psi they can become firearms and can be lethal.

So what is the PSI and where can they be legally bought under the PSI range.. In the UK its 12 ft/lb for a rifle and 6ft/lb for a pistol, a perfectly clear set of rules.

I am being told in Thailand 'all' airguns are illegal.. And the only law I can find effectively makes childrens toys illegal. So whats the PSI where a legal airsoft gun becomes an illegal air gun.

This is the definition I seek.

Not correct. there are several requirements for a TH national to get a gun lisence, and only Police and Army can carry in public, in addition to a very few like Governors office and bank security

Think ladies are limited too .22. IF you have a Thai cop friend he can buy anything in his name and your lady can keep it for 5 years and then get it transferred into her name.

Well, thats what my Thai cop friend tells me. ;):)

any gun lisence is limited to 10 bullets, not the size of them.

There's no Glock 19 magazine sold in Thailand that will hold only 10 rounds. There's also no reference to number of rounds allowed in the license, nor is there any limit to how much ammo you can stockpile (I have about 1,000 rounds myself). Have never seen it on any of ours. Perhaps this is something new as of this year or maybe last.

:)

Our lisences are issued 2004 and 2006, and they both limit to max 10 bullets in gun, so are all other lisences I have seen. Glock19 stock magazines can hold 15 each, but lisence limits to 10 bullets in gun. Caught with more, in deep shit, so after shooting 2, get rid of 5 asap

Ther is no limit or lisence requirement to purchase or stock amo, but 1.000 could be declared a war zone ;)

even as farang, we are in TH allowed to protect our property and family, within private property with a legally registered gun. Trespasser must be armed and threatening. Done, it, and all Police want is to see the lisence

So what is the PSI and where can they be legally bought under the PSI range.. In the UK its 12 ft/lb for a rifle and 6ft/lb for a pistol, a perfectly clear set of rules.

I am being told in Thailand 'all' airguns are illegal.. And the only law I can find effectively makes childrens toys illegal. So whats the PSI where a legal airsoft gun becomes an illegal air gun.

This is the definition I seek.

i do not think you will find it available for public

all sellers of guns in TH must have a retail lisence. It is their repsonsibility to sell guns requiring lisence to lisenced buyers only. They actually bring you and gun to Police to check lisence and gun, to register, and then you recieve the gun you have paid for. If you buy from a registered retailer, get copy of retail lisence, you should be on the safe side.

here on TV classifieds we have denied ads for legal non reg guns, as we can not assure seller has required lisences and do not sell to underage (18)

You mean the definition of the law is secret ?? Not being available to the public ?? That makes no sense.

What makes an airsoft gun or paintball gun legal ?? And what then makes a different air pellet gun illegal..

Simple question.. Yet one without an answer.. Much like 'work is any work mental or physical' just make a huge catch all law, and ignore it if you dont want to think about it.