What Does Trolling Mean ?

paulian

I notice the term, people are "trolling", in quite a few threads. Now that I've been promoted to a "Senior member", I probably should know what that means so I do not become one and in case a "newbie" asks me. . Although quite a few bars on walking street have also mentioned it when they see me. So maybe it's too late for me !

From the forum rules:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

A bar troll? Not heard that one before. :D

From the forum rules:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

A bar troll? Not heard that one before. :D

for example:

.....lol..someone once told me "trolling" was trailing a bottle of Molson Blue on a string walking past an Indian reservation...(for squaws)....oops not PC I guess...a good "bait" on walking street is probably black socks and thongs ?

Controversial views are considered trolling? I cannot agree with that. It is people's reactions to controversy such as attacking the view holder in a personal manner that makes the problem.

purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

The simplest definition of trolling is 'trying to get a reaction' - it's quite obvious when this happens. It's also a commonly misused accusation for things that are simply disagreeable, controversial or incomprehensible and has lost it's original meaning for the most part.

The simplest definition of trolling is 'trying to get a reaction' - it's quite obvious when this happens. It's also a commonly misused accusation for things that are simply disagreeable, controversial or incomprehensible and has lost it's original meaning for the most part.

Thank You for the input. I was close in what I thought it was. It is a good rule, as the reason I did not join this forum 5 years ago was because the antagonistic reply's I had read from normal posts of people who just wanted information. There seems to be a correlation between trolling and the amount of posts or rank a member has on this forum. Although there are many long timers that have been very helpful there seems to be many more that are just looking for a reaction or to prove how much smarter they are than the newer people. In brain power, not Thailand experience. Coincidently, my first post a couple of months ago was met by two trolls that were absolutely no help at all, other then sarscastic remarks. What may seem like a weird question to someone who has been here for 15 years may not be to a person that has just relocated 2 weeks ago and left there prior life and familiar environment behind them for good. However, since then, I have realized this truly is a great source of information for ex-pats. Perhaps, after 2000 posts a member should be "reset". Thanks for all the help, Paul