Yet Another Illegal Taxi And Tout Crackdown....

bubba

Just received a link for this in my email.

AoT says it will beat the cheats

BANGKOK, 27 September 2011- Airports of Thailand says it can cut illegal taxi drivers and tour agencies operating at Suvarnabhumi Airport by 50% this year and improve the airport’s image.

AoT executive vice president, Suk Puangthum, said he is committed to “stamping out rogue taxi drivers and tour guides” and will invest in new technology to examine and trace vehicle ownership in the near future.

“We have been dealing with illegal taxi drivers and tour guides since August 2009 and that has resulted in 14,313 cases involving illegal taxis and tour guides and another 33,932 cases of touts annoying passengers.”

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2011/09/aot-says-it-will-beat-the-cheats/

They may be cheaper but totally unregulated.

1) People have been murdered by these touts.

2) People have been mugged by these touts.

3) Women have been raped by these touts.

4) Many are taken to another vehicle yard unfamiliar to them to re-negotiate their fare at a much higher price.

OK, you have to be unlucky for points 1 - 3 to happen but point 4 is very common.

They are uninsured private cars, and the driver could have been awake 24 hours just trying to get that return trip back to Pattaya.

And how can someone say that 1600 THB is a rip off to Pattaya, I'm not sure where you are from but how much would a 90 minute Taxi cost you where you are from?

I last came though the airport in August and can't say that I noticed any illegal taxis or touts.

The only 'touts' that approached me were the airport limo girls.

Come to think of it I don't think I've seen any in the last year.

Same here, we flew in on Friday and just saw the airport limo girls certainly no taxi touts. In fact I have been at the airport two other times this month meeting people and there was no hassle at all.

In the last month, I have arrived on flights in Bangkok, Seoul, and Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur: three or four touts in the very short distance between the exit from customs to the airport taxi desk

Seoul: two touts between the exit from customs to the doors leading outside

Bangkok: no illegal or unofficial touts at all, but loud, annoying airport limo hawkers both inside the baggage area and at the exit from customs shouting "TAXI, SIR...TAXI, SIR"

All in all, Bangkok is not bad at all any more for touts, which is an improvement over the way things were a year ago.

Satcommittee, sorry to disagree with you however I arrange to be collected from the airport for a trip to Pattaya. Excellent car, safe English speaking driver and I pay 1,000 baht which includes the tollway fee. We are not in our home countries so no comparison is valid