Thailand/Pattaya Attracts The Worst

PattayaPhom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do they sell £5.00 trainers? They would do me proud for brekkie at the Apex.

I think it does attract a lot of "odd" characters. If I was writing a movie script about the Asian Twin Peaks, this is where I would go for inspiration :) IMHO, the so-called "quality" of people living here and moving here (not necessarily visiting here) has gone down over the past ten years. This is the exact opposite of what the social engineering was supposed to do. The entire place, IMHO, has gone down, even though there are "up" areas--more malls (but we did need them) and more upscale condo units (existing in under construction). There are simply too many people and cars and motorcycles and bad streets and smells and filth. It will never be an upscale resort city, IMHO. And it has become increasingly geriatric. I have nothing against "old people." I am just stating a fact. And, yes, many Russians do seem to be rude. Sorry Boris!

Where do they sell £5.00 trainers? They would do me proud for brekkie at the Apex.

I think it does attract a lot of "odd" characters. If I was writing a movie script about the Asian Twin Peaks, this is where I would go for inspiration :) IMHO, the so-called "quality" of people living here and moving here (not necessarily visiting here) has gone down over the past ten years. This is the exact opposite of what the social engineering was supposed to do. The entire place, IMHO, has gone down, even though there are "up" areas--more malls (but we did need them) and more upscale condo units (existing in under construction). There are simply too many people and cars and motorcycles and bad streets and smells and filth. It will never be an upscale resort city, IMHO. And it has become increasingly geriatric. I have nothing against "old people." I am just stating a fact. And, yes, many Russians do seem to be rude. Sorry Boris!

I agree more and less with your post, especially the traffic is getting worse and worse, we only use the car when going shopping, its simply impossible to park it anywhere unless you are lucky and somebody leaves and you can "command" that parking space. More and more BKK Thais are coming here in the weekends, just see that huge condominium they start building close to Sukhumvit bit bit further out from BKK/Patt. hospital.

However according to this article they are planing of making this a "green" resort which is hard to believe, but one can only hope its true. I don't know if I am allowed to post the link but I try anyway:

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/green-pattaya-to-replace-sex-tourism/

It is probably that Thais in general tend to too nice and regardless of their thoughts they do not intervene for fear of job loss or whatever and the less desirable tourists or residents get away with things that would end up with a black eye in Europe.

Having said that, I witnessed a Thai couple bring a tourist to the Police station after he grabbed the man's wife behind near Central thinking that was acceptable.

What he was thinking is beyond me as the lady was dressed as a bank clerk and holding her baby and with a large Thai male.

The guy was lucky that the husband did not stomp on him !

Maybe in his country (Iran) woman are not respected.

When was the last time you went home because I think you'll find the foreigners that are stupid and rude here are excactly the same back in their home country.

Exactly. I've found more rude people back 'home' than I do here. Most people are very polite here which I why I love it.

Low class people? Again, I meet them far more frequently back 'home'.

I agree with u

been here for nearly and can count on 1 hand the amount of real idiots i have met,thats including thais,who are very pleasant and polite with me.Act normal yourself and one attracts mainly normal people,and i have many many friends who live in Pattaya,and belkieve it or not,most have got great relationships with the thai gf/wife,including me.

Okay then. We need -- a Pattaya dress code; a prohibition of public alcohol consumption;a means test;an English proficiency test;an anti-obesity statute; a ban on fat waddling western wives;prison sentences for feminists;gays, Arabs, Iranians, Pakistanis, East Indians, and Eastern Europeans, should all be held, in order to preserve the common good, in a fenced off Jomtien; and the great looking Russian babes should be held in Naklua. Then, and only then, will Pattaya become a paradise for the Victorian elite. B)

This is a strange city at the moment. Look one way and you see a beggar; another way and you see a rich man; another way and you see some person in between. I do not think there is another place in the world with such diversity of people. I was just in Central Festival having a look and eating at Sizzler. It is upscale. But walk a few meters outside it along the beach and you hit the opposite. I really wonder where this place is going to end up. I suppose if all of the bars were shut down and a clamp down was enforced on prostitution and alcohol, the place would really change and not longer be that attractive to "the worst." How boring that scenario seems is relative. I wish we could roll back the clock, but that is not possible. And who is to say, really, who is the worst and best? I know some really sicko rich people who I would classify as "worst." I know some poor people who I would classify as "best." I think I need a beer :)

the last 20 posts on this thread were completely off topic

Well, if you remove all the off-topic posts and personal insults in most threads in here, there wouldn't be much left of interest.

At least the personal insults serve to demonstrate the fact that Pattaya real does attract the worst type of people, which does keep us on-topic. :)

I suppose if all of the bars were shut down and a clamp down was enforced on prostitution and alcohol, the place would really change and not longer be that attractive to "the worst."

It would not be that attractive to anybody and all the other kinds of businesses would soon go broke. That is why it is not going to happen.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've lived here for years and I don't know what you're referring to. Most tourists and expats are well behaved, including the Russians which I am surprised at(I thought they were serious boozers but guess not! even I outbinge them. :blink:).

Where are these "worst" people located???

Bahahaha! You must not spend much time around the touristy areas. I think the OP hit it on the head. The vast majority are ok but there is a larger than normal minority of idiots. Yes, more than back home western world as well.

As far as the Russians that is a different subject. They are in their own world in Pattaya. Mostly younger couples here for some sun and sand and shopping and not interested in the girly bars as far as I can tell. I don't have much of an opinion about them either way. I don't find them all that friendly or polite but that has always been my experience with eastern european people in general.

How can you have a "larger than normal minority"?

Okay then. We need -- a Pattaya dress code; a prohibition of public alcohol consumption;a means test;an English proficiency test;an anti-obesity statute; a ban on fat waddling western wives;prison sentences for feminists;gays, Arabs, Iranians, Pakistanis, East Indians, and Eastern Europeans, should all be held, in order to preserve the common good, in a fenced off Jomtien; and the great looking Russian babes should be held in Naklua. Then, and only then, will Pattaya become a paradise for the Victorian elite. B)

Nah, but it would be a good start.

I've lived here for years and I don't know what you're referring to. Most tourists and expats are well behaved, including the Russians which I am surprised at(I thought they were serious boozers but guess not! even I outbinge them. :blink:).

Where are these "worst" people located???

Bahahaha! You must not spend much time around the touristy areas. I think the OP hit it on the head. The vast majority are ok but there is a larger than normal minority of idiots. Yes, more than back home western world as well.

As far as the Russians that is a different subject. They are in their own world in Pattaya. Mostly younger couples here for some sun and sand and shopping and not interested in the girly bars as far as I can tell. I don't have much of an opinion about them either way. I don't find them all that friendly or polite but that has always been my experience with eastern european people in general.

How can you have a "larger than normal minority"?

Why would someone ask the question unless they had nothing to add?

Edited by ES1

The bad ones are a minority, Im sure there are a minority of bad ones in every city in the world. I don't think Pattaya's any worse than anywhere else.

Beer belly, bald head, tattoos, pigeon english, £5.00 trainers - thats me does that make me some how a "worst" or "bad" one?

Did anyone actually move to Pattaya for any other reason than cheap beer, women and all the other taboos that bring in the lowest of the low? Perhaps the op was unaware of what Pattaya was all about when he moved here!

The bad ones are a minority, Im sure there are a minority of bad ones in every city in the world. I don't think Pattaya's any worse than anywhere else.

Beer belly, bald head, tattoos, pigeon english, £5.00 trainers - thats me does that make me some how a "worst" or "bad" one?

Did anyone actually move to Pattaya for any other reason than cheap beer, women and all the other taboos that bring in the lowest of the low? Perhaps the op was unaware of what Pattaya was all about when he moved here!

I did not move here for the cheap beer (I don't drink), women (I have a partner) and all the other taboos that you mention. But I was aware of Pattaya's reputation and I am comfortable with it provided that one canstill escape the "seedy" side, which we still can for now. The authorities have stated they want to "re-balance" Pattaya, and I am all for that. Whether it suceeds is another matter.

Believe it or not, there is quite a significant number who moved here for work (usually at nearby industrial estates or Laem Chabang) or liked the location since it is close to a major city (BKK), beaches and a well connnected airport. A place that affords a lifestyle somewhere between big city and laid-back resort. I like it here and I totally reject the notion that Pattaya is all about sin and nothing else, so forget any efforts to make it more livable, forget cleaning up beaches and just leave the city alone for bars, beer, working gals and their patrons. Sorry guys, you gotta share with us boring people.

that almost sounds like the criteria for becoming a muslim........

I did not move here for the cheap beer (I don't drink), women (I have a partner) and all the other taboos that you mention. But I was aware of Pattaya's reputation and I am comfortable with it provided that one canstill escape the "seedy" side, which we still can for now. The authorities have stated they want to "re-balance" Pattaya, and I am all for that. Whether it suceeds is another matter.

Believe it or not, there is quite a significant number who moved here for work (usually at nearby industrial estates or Laem Chabang) or liked the location since it is close to a major city (BKK), beaches and a well connnected airport. A place that affords a lifestyle somewhere between big city and laid-back resort. I like it here and I totally reject the notion that Pattaya is all about sin and nothing else, so forget any efforts to make it more livable, forget cleaning up beaches and just leave the city alone for bars, beer, working gals and their patrons. Sorry guys, you gotta share with us boring people.

Well put. Many of us hardly ever make it to Central Pattaya. If you avoid that part of town, it's a great place to live. Just got back from my 1+ hour walk on the beach. Fantastic. Hardly saw anybody.

many years ago, someone said that in Pattaya a poor man can live like a rich man

it was true then...........

If true "then," and of that I am not sure, it certainly is not true now as prices have really gone up. I do think many of the "worst" came here because it used to be a bargain with fun thrown in. You can still find fun but the bargain days are all but over for most things. I wonder if people really know they are looking at the "worst" or "best." I know people here with money who dress like beach bums just because they can. The place is certainly changing. One thing that should be mentioned is the character of Thais who move and live here. Anybody? :) WORST if male and BEST if female :)

I know people here with money who dress like beach bums just because they can.

I used to work in very expensive hotels in my youth and the wealthiest patrons (often music or film types) sometimes dressed like bums. We quickly learned not to judge a book by its cover.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think your quite correct, and agree with what you've said, perhaps I should of worded previous comment differantly. I think my intended point was that were all aware of Pattaya and its reputation, it didn't put us off coming did it? I for one would not want to see Pattaya change.

Dude, if it weren't for the 'sin city' thing that Pattaya is known for you wouldn't have any of the things you live there for! Think about it. Do you seriously think all those western restaurants, malls, theatres, western condos, golf courses, infrastructure, and all the other things you like about Pattaya. Do you think any of that would be there if it weren't for the Pattaya roots. And now you drank the Koolaid that some others in the Thai gov't have that Pattaya no longer needs them so they should try get rid of all that. Never gonna happen. You think Pattaya can survive without that just because it has crappy beaches close to the airport. Think again. Maybe read up on what a little sheit hole of a fishing village it was before U-Tapao and the Vietnam war. Nobody was going there 'for the beaches' before that or since.

I've been all over Thailand and trust me, If people are in Thailand for beaches (like you claim you are there for) the last place they would go is Pattaya. Or they would live on Koh Larn which has much much better beaches than Pattaya/Jomtien. But strangely I don't see many of you westerners around Koh Larn who claim to be there for 'the beaches'. Lot's of russians though. I do believe they are there for the beaches.

Edited by ES1

Dude, if it weren't for the 'sin city' thing that Pattaya is known for you wouldn't have any of the things you live there for! Think about it. Do you seriously think all those western restaurants, malls, theatres, western condos, golf courses, infrastructure, and all the other things you like about Pattaya. Do you think any of that would be there if it weren't for the Pattaya roots.

Well, fact is there would be malls and such here without any sex tourists. The city is not as dependent on them as many think.

I just spent 2 months touring Uk/Ireland/Wales/ Europe touching in about 16 Countries.

Some of the Tourist spots are so expensive there , it is undestandable why people look to Asia.

Pattaya is still regarded as a Cheap Sex & Booze destination , if I bought it up in conversations & that was an overall opinion over most people , young & Older.

I must admit that some of the Moronic behaviour I have seen in Patts over the last 30 + years I have been going is duplicated in most of the cheaper locations for Tourists.

Most of the idiots behave like that anyway , but, exaggerate it when away from the home turf , I have found.

Just an opinion

:jap: :jap:

I meant more the idiots that always talk in pigeon English even to their own kind.....guys that flap their arms around and bellow out at the top of their voice trying to explain the simplist thing to their rented girlfriend, those that wonder out in the road then act like a traffic cop putting their hands up as someone nearly runs them over...the list is endless......they just seem to be everywhere...and all look the same, bald head, beer belly, few bad tattoos, singha vest, you know the sort.

Know what you mean, still better they go there than come and pollute beautiful Krabi/Ao Nang/Lanta.

Dude, if it weren't for the 'sin city' thing that Pattaya is known for you wouldn't have any of the things you live there for! Think about it. Do you seriously think all those western restaurants, malls, theatres, western condos, golf courses, infrastructure, and all the other things you like about Pattaya. Do you think any of that would be there if it weren't for the Pattaya roots. And now you drank the Koolaid that some others in the Thai gov't have that Pattaya no longer needs them so they should try get rid of all that. Never gonna happen. You think Pattaya can survive without that just because it has crappy beaches close to the airport. Think again. Maybe read up on what a little sheit hole of a fishing village it was before U-Tapao and the Vietnam war. Nobody was going there 'for the beaches' before that or since.

I've been all over Thailand and trust me, If people are in Thailand for beaches (like you claim you are there for) the last place they would go is Pattaya. Or they would live on Koh Larn which has much much better beaches than Pattaya/Jomtien. But strangely I don't see many of you westerners around Koh Larn who claim to be there for 'the beaches'. Lot's of russians though. I do believe they are there for the beaches.

Hmm, the tone of your response means you probably mis-understood me. Never mind, I am off to the crappy beach with the hundreds of tourists already there. And I am sure we are all hoping to meet a hooker or two, becasue according to you we are certainly not there to enjoy the seaside!!! Good bye.