Remembrance Day 11th November 2005

Kan Win

Safety fears silence Poppy Day salute

By David Sapsted

(Filed: 08/11/2005)

The traditional firing of a salute to mark the beginning and end of the two-minute silence has been cancelled for Remembrance Sunday this weekend on health and safety grounds.

War veterans were left fuming in the seaside town of Walton, in Essex, after lifeboatmen told them that they would not be able to fire maroons at the beginning and end of the silence on advice from RNLI headquarters.

A memo sent by RNLI managers warned stations that they should not fire maroons because they could misfire or debris could be blown back to shore by the wind.

John Halls, the chairman of the local Royal British Legion, said he was "very sad" that the decades-old tradition had come to an end.

"When we fire the lifeboat maroons in any coastal town where there is a memorial service, it is a reminder of the people who fought for this country," he said.

A spokesman for the RNLI said that the decision was made to protect onlookers and stop damage to property. He added that the decision was a "recommendation" not a blanket ban.

The people of Walton now plan to use fireworks instead.

Discarded by the country he defendedBy Thomas Harding

(Filed: 08/11/2005)

In cloying heat and tangled in barbed wire, Lt Billy Norbury lay in agony from the bullets embedded in his lower body. Grenades were bursting around him and fierce machine-gun fire from the heavily-defended Japanese position was raking the slopes of Jambo Hill.

As his comrades from the King's African Rifles fell dead around him the subaltern, ignoring the pain, got to his feet and carried on the charge up the hill to engage the enemy in hand-to-hand fighting.

Lt Billy Norbury

For his courage, Lt Norbury was awarded an immediate Military Cross on the battlefield. But 54 years later, after decades of agony and operations, he died from his wounds, penniless and abandoned by the country that had sent him to war, because he had enlisted in a colony.

Capt John Nunneley, 82, a former war comrade of the officer, was joined yesterday by Lord Weatherill, the former Speaker of the House of Commons, outside Downing Street to protest against what they describe as a scandal of national neglect.

Lord Weatherill, who served with the 19th King George V's Own Lancers in Burma, said: "Billy Norbury was wounded in the service of the king but his life was spent in penury and his widow had to leave behind her family in South Africa because she had no money.

Gillian Norbury with a photo of her husband

"It's a question of doing what is right. We need some justice for Mrs Norbury."

Viscount Slim, the son of Field Marshal Slim and president of the Burma Star Association, described it as a "terrible and disgraceful case".

He said: "Here was a chap who fought for his country but he has been discarded by the system. It's a tragic story and a lot of people should be ashamed. All they can do now is look after his widow."

In 1940 Billy Norbury, born in Mombasa, Kenya, of British parents, joined the KAR, a regiment raised to impose law and order in East Africa.

He was given a "colonial commission", which meant he could fight in East Africa but not abroad. When the War Office discovered that he had been "illegally" fighting abroad in the Burma campaign it upgraded his status to a "King's Commission" - but never informed Lt Norbury of this vital change.

Lt Norbury's medals

After Burma the officer underwent 27 operations in 13 years. Grenade fragments in his foot and bullets in his legs left him in great pain and unable ever to get a proper job.

At first, Lt Norbury survived on a war disability pension from the Colonial Office. But in 1963, when Kenya gained independence, responsibility was handed over to the Kenyan government, which refused to pay pensions to foreigners.

Lt Norbury appealed to the War Pensions Agency but was told that because he enlisted in Kenya "any appeals you have to make would have to be with the Kenyan authorities".

In 1971 the officer discovered he could apply to the British Government for a supplement to his pension and wrote to the agency. Lt Norbury received a reply two years later that included a questionnaire, which he filled out. But he heard nothing more and assumed he was ineligible.

His doctor wrote to the agency asking for a review, but he too received no reply.

His wife, Gillian, worked part-time to pay the mounting hospital bills. But in 1993 the family had to sell their home and moved into a rented cottage. Soon they had to sell their possessions.

Their eldest son was murdered in 1997. A year later Lt Norbury finally died from his wounds, and another of their three sons died in a plane crash. Mrs Norbury, virtually penniless, returned to England where she survives on a state pension.

"I do feel rather bitter," she said at her small rented accommodation in Newbury, Berks. "When Billy really needed help, no one heeded him. We had given up because we constantly got the door slammed in our faces."

Mrs Norbury, 74, who does voluntary work, was advised by the Veterans Agency to apply to the Kenyan authorities for the supplementary pension.

Two years ago she read a book on the King's African Rifles and decided to contact the author, John Nunneley. Since then the retired captain, who fought alongside her husband, has relentlessly lobbied the Veterans Agency. Capt Nunneley, from Richmond, Surrey, yesterday stood next to the statue of Field Marshal Bill Slim, the victorious leader of the Burma campaign, demanding "Justice for Gillian".

"Billy Norbury was a brave man denied his fundamental rights," he said. "As his wartime comrade-in-arms I stand in his place, fighting to win justice, redress and restitution for his widow."

The Veterans Agency said war disability pensions were only for those who fought in the Armed Forces in units based in Britain. "We do have to abide by the provisions of the law. Either people are entitled to the pension or not," a spokesman said.

My parents came over to visit me a couple of years ago, and my Dad wanted to see the Bridge over the river Kwai. It was one of the most moving experiences of my life, he stood on the bridge, in the middle and cried. His fighting in WW11 was mostly done in Italy but he lost friends on the death railway. I held him in my arms until the tears stopped. The Japanese still have a lot to answer for, and still continue to do so.

At the war museum in Calais, France there are four flags. This is how a local explained the meaning of each;

French Flag: Self explanatory, symbol of their country.

British Flag: Their defender in the first world war.

Canadian Flag: Their liberator in the second world war.

German Flag: Forgiveness, and new friendship.

I liked the spirit of the last one. :o

cv

What I will say will probably piss alot of people off and I am sorry in advance. Although the Japanese in the Pacific theatre of WW2 at times were barbaric , many of them were not.

My grandfather fought the Germans in Greece and the Japanese in New Guinea with the Aussie artillary, he lost one brother in North Africa and another severly crippled in New Guinea. Although I never met him ,my father has always reminded me of the sentiments of my grandfather .

Sure, the Germans and Japanese were the enemy. But, they fought like warriors, in some hel_l hole far from home, and were willing to give their last drop of blood for their cause(or basic survival), no matter how agressive their Emporer/Chancellor was . There are no good guys in a war, there is only stupidity . How many Jpanese or German families lost a father, son or brother ect ? I am not talking about POW death or concentration camps, there is no excuse for such brutality .

I hope i really do not offend anyone. But I really think ALL those who gave their lives on the field of battle deserve some kind of respect and a reminder of just how stupid war is

Edited by 350torana

With respect, BM, you are out of order in this thread.

We are remembering those who gave their lives in service for their country.

NOT fighting today's battles.

Another time and another place, please.

/Mod Edit - image removed by request... and on a personal note, I too agree with the removal.

Edited by Jai Dee

OK, OK, sorry 'bout that.

When I first saw the shot of the USS Arizona...didn't catch the caption 'till it was posted.

:o

And 'it' started in 1939 - as my Uncle would have been able to tell you if he hadn't been killed in 1940!

Perhaps you would ask the Moderators to remove the image and captions, please. It has been repeated several times now and looks garish and offensive.

Thanks.

Do we remember?

I shall observe the silence and feel quite humble. I'm not sure that I could endure what many of those guys went through. There have been numerous ageist remarks made on this Forum recently. Perhaps, just for today (and Sunday in the UK) at least, we can all take some time to show respect for what the very oldest members of today's society did for their fellows - and maybe consider what their countries may or may not have done for them in return.