IKEA To Open Its First Store In Thailand

webfact

IKEA launches 2012 catalogue ahead of first store

Kwanchai Rungfapaisarn

The Nation

30166612-01.jpg

IKEA, the dominant Swedish home furnishing retailer, yesterday hosted the official launch of its catalogue, which will support the grand opening of its first store in Thailand on November 3.

Starting Monday, about one million copies of the IKEA 2012 catalogue will be distributed to homes across central Bangkok and neighbouring areas within two weeks.

Lars Svensson, marketing manager for Ikano (Thailand), said that the 376-page IKEA catalogue features 3,500 home furnishing products, which is half the range of products consumers can find in the store.

He said that the Thai-edition IKEA catalogue will be "locally relevant". It will be distributed in central Bangkok and neighbouring areas - such as Samut Prakan - which are within about 40 minutes drive-time from the store.

"The catalogue will offer solutions and ideas for consumers and help them to have a better everyday life at home," said Svensson.

He said that some IKEA English-version loan and give-away catalogues will be available at the IKEA store on the opening day.

"We have also launched a 16-page IKEA catalogue teaser to introduce people to the catalogue and the store opening. It is the first time we have sent out a catalogue teaser in a new market," Svensson said.

He said that a separate 12-page broadsheet catalogue would be launched to invite people to come to the opening.

"In my personal opinion, between 35,000 and 40,000 shoppers will visit the IKEA store on opening day," he added.

Svensson said that Ikano has plans to open two more IKEA stores in Bangkok within the next 10 years.

Giving out the IKEA catalogue is a way of bringing the IKEA store into the homes of many people. For over 60 years, the catalogue has been distributed in many markets around the world. About 208 million copies of the 2012 catalogue have been printed, which is believed to be the largest printing of a publication in the world.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-01

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In my personal opinion, between 35,000 and 40,000 shoppers will visit the IKEA store on opening day," he added.

Really, that is a lot of people for one day.

If somebody were to set up a booth outside the store and give free red shirts to shoppers, they could have a fantastic photo-op. :lol:

Edited by metisdead
There is not need to use large font, learn to use the Insert quotation feature.

at last, the chance for our thai friends to buy furniture that..you click together, then add your own screws to, then bolt to the wall to stop it falling over, and know from day one that if you move, you will either leave it behind or burn it. magnificent

They will set new standards in terms of customer service and raise the bar tremendously.

LOL. You can't be serious?

The IKEA concept is you walk forever through a maze of rubbish, pick your flatpack crap, pay for it and tote it to your car and take it home and... see TommyDee's post.

The only interaction with anyone related to 'customer service' is when you pay for the sh!te.

They will set new standards in terms of customer service and raise the bar tremendously.

The IKEA concept is you walk forever through a maze of rubbish, pick your flatpack crap, pay for it and tote it to your car and take it home and... see TommyDee's post.

The only interaction with anyone related to 'customer service' is when you pay for the sh!te.

You buy an IKEA chest of drawers and the base to each drawer is melamine faced cardboard so when you put things in the drawer it bows and falls out.

Here with SB or Index a cheaper but much stronger unit we bought had stronger drawer base but was bowing they send a guy around with a metal parts kit to strengthen the drawer.

When you buy they fix up shelves, everything. Wardrobe doors have a metal strengthening bar in the middle to prevent warping and 3-4 strong hafel hinges.

For a price when you move they dismantle and reassemble. Infinitely superior to Ikea.

Ikea kitchens are crap. No fitter wants to fit them because when you cut them to fit (they're chipboard) they soak up moisture and will fall apart.

Odd complaints, from IKEA I bought the best computer table I have ever had, it stuck with me when I moved 4 times - finally left behind when I left Europe. And the new owner loved it too...

Now if only it was still in stock...

Edited by TAWP

You buy an IKEA chest of drawers and the base to each drawer is melamine faced cardboard so when you put things in the drawer it bows and falls out.

Here with SB or Index a cheaper but much stronger unit we bought had stronger drawer base but was bowing they send a guy around with a metal parts kit to strengthen the drawer.

When you buy they fix up shelves, everything. Wardrobe doors have a metal strengthening bar in the middle to prevent warping and 3-4 strong hafel hinges.

For a price when you move they dismantle and reassemble. Infinitely superior to Ikea.

Ikea kitchens are crap. No fitter wants to fit them because when you cut them to fit (they're chipboard) they soak up moisture and will fall apart.

well the thai is going to go crazy over ikea for the first few years cuz is ikea a international brand not a thai brand (they alway s love something not from thailand)to them carrying a ikea plastic bag or that stupid donut plastic bag is like carrying a Birkin bag and wait till when the stuff they buy start to fall apart in a few years then they know they are buying crap anyway sb design and index is a higher class of furniture store compare to ikea and they are now changing the style of their furniture to more luxury and european style

so people with class and money will still go for sb and index , while the home owner that try to save or on budget will go for ikea

Edited by randytimm

Went to the new SB Design Mall in Bang Na two weeks ago. The design of the place was appalling: no design concept whatsoever -- just everything packed in as tightly as possible. And the actual merchandise was a grotesque hotch-potch.

Index Living Mall, by contrast, is well designed. Nothing special aesthetically, but functionally good: clearly departmentalised, not over-stuffed, and easy to access. Plus the merchandise is generally pretty decent and mostly well-designed too.

We go to Ikea on a regular basis in the middle east. I can tell you its not all the best quality and its not all bad quality. While nothing is really cheap and some items are high priced there are some items that have both good quality and fair prices. Where Ikea is best at is the fact they have such a great collection and simple instructions to put together. I mean they will have 4 different sizes of dining room tables with 69 styles in 4 different colors per size. They also have lots of neat ideas for shelves, computer tables,etc. In the end buyer beware but I think Ikea will do well in Thailand.

so people with class and money will still go for sb and index

Heh, 'class' and Index in the same sentence. I suppose you mean 'middle class' as oppose to 'almost homeless'.

Btw, once upon a time Index was a part in IKEAs manufacturing chain before trying to survive on their own by selling copies locally. So if IKEA will sell their things for a lower price...isn't anyone shopping at Index merely 'with stupidity' as oppose to 'with class'[sic]?

Forget all the fussing about the over-hyped pressed-chipwood/cardboard furniture. WILL THEY HAVE SWEDISH MEATBALLS? :whistling:

Don't forget the dirt cheap Hot Dogs as well MMMMm!!!

The IKEA I used to go to in Europe also had good/cheap beer at the hot dog / ice cream stand. That alone, was worth the trip!

Have a self installed Ikea kitchen for 18 years and its still going strong. No moisture or other issues. Same goes for leather sofa, upscale wall units, a great computer desk that served as a NLDVE station, lighting, and the list goes on and on.

Have been to Ikea stores in several countries. I like the Italian food at the Bologna Ikea. Unlimited virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar included. Taiwan Ikea has some nice food also. Washington State had great espresso for 25 cents (7 baht)

Meatballs with lingon berries are always welcome.

some items at SB and Index are even similar pieces that are made at the same factory for Ikea. Ikea has had factory presence in Thailand for many years already. I own some SB and Index furniture and it is similar to Ikea, but IMO Ikea has a lot more designs and innovative ideas. Prices should also be lower too.

Edited by atyclb

Recently at Index on the Lampang - CM Superhighway.

Farang is asking the young male assistant, in Thai - do you have this cabinet in white colour?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang asks again, calmly - yes I know this is maple, do you have it in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang points at white colour on next piece of furniture, his Thai wife asks again if the cabinet is available in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Then an older Thai lady shopper intervenes and blasted the young assistant, her voice can be heard across half the store. And she says in English to the farang and his wife, your question is very clear.

Supervisor is called by another staff member.

The older lady then tells the supervisor, in Thai, the cabinet right here is maple colour, but the farang wants to know if it's available in white. she repeats the question several ways to try to ensure the real question is understood.

Reply - I don't know, and she then tells the original young male assistant to take care of the customer and she walks away.

Odd complaints, from IKEA I bought the best computer table I have ever had, it stuck with me when I moved 4 times - finally left behind when I left Europe. And the new owner loved it too...

Now if only it was still in stock...

I fitted my entire house out in the UK with IKEA. No problems at all.

For those living in UDON Thani have a look in one of the big furniture stores on the main ringroad. If you know IKEA stuff then you will see what looks like IKEA in one of the stores. Even has the same names for the Wardrobes etc as the UK IKEA. Don't know if it is IKEA or a Thai copy.

Maybe the movie Fight Club (which features a person going literally insane but obsessively buying IKEA furniture to be socially acceptable) will have a new meaning in Thailand once it becomes more Westernized (you just have to see the movie to understand what I am talking bout).

Maybe you have leaved Farangland for years? Ikea really improved the quality of their products.

Recently at Index on the Lampang - CM Superhighway.

Farang is asking the young male assistant, in Thai - do you have this cabinet in white colour?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang asks again, calmly - yes I know this is maple, do you have it in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Farang points at white colour on next piece of furniture, his Thai wife asks again if the cabinet is available in white?

Reply - this is maple.

Then an older Thai lady shopper intervenes and blasted the young assistant, her voice can be heard across half the store. And she says in English to the farang and his wife, your question is very clear.

Supervisor is called by another staff member.

The older lady then tells the supervisor, in Thai, the cabinet right here is maple colour, but the farang wants to know if it's available in white. she repeats the question several ways to try to ensure the real question is understood.

Reply - I don't know, and she then tells the original young male assistant to take care of the customer and she walks away.

So this surprises you why ??.....cheesy.gif

you know there is that legend in the tourism industry that Thais are renowned for their superior 5 star service.......this is true, but look behind the scenes that these 5 star premises are western and managed as such.......

Edited by Dag

so people with class and money will still go for sb and index

Heh, 'class' and Index in the same sentence. I suppose you mean 'middle class' as oppose to 'almost homeless'.

Btw, once upon a time Index was a part in IKEAs manufacturing chain before trying to survive on their own by selling copies locally. So if IKEA will sell their things for a lower price...isn't anyone shopping at Index merely 'with stupidity' as oppose to 'with class'[sic]?

Interesting to note your comments regarding the past connection between 'IKEA' and 'Index'.

When I first moved to Thailand and visited an 'Index' store with my wife, I mentioned that it reminded me of a store in Europe called 'IKEA'. The products and store displays were very similar and the information/price labels were almost identical. In fact, I was so sure of the connection that I enquired with the store manager but unfortunately he had never heard of 'IKEA'.

Anyway, good to know that my powers of observation haven't let me down after all!

I am delighted that 'IKEA' are opening in Thailand as I have purchased many of their products when I lived in Europe and have always found the quality to be very good. On the rare occasion I ever experienced any problems, their customer service department were very professional and couldn't have been more helpful.

I am sure 'IKEA' will be a big success in Thailand and if they bring the same level of customer service that they have in Europe then their success is pretty much guaranteed.

I have to agree Ikea is crap, nothing but rubbish an overpriced 2 dollar shop. I think they went bust in Australia after about 6 months.