Visa Extension Issues For Filipinas?

I am hearing more and more friends/acquaintances mentioning that their Filipina maids are having trouble extending their visas (tourist visas, no doubt) at the border on their visa runs. They seem to be getting two week extensions only. I presume that my Filipina maid may run into the same issue in the next month when she needs to do her next visa run. Is anyone else aware of this, and do you know what immigration is telling them when they try to get the normal 60 day extensions?

I do not know what immigration is telling them, but I had a Phillipina girlfriend in Bangkok last year, a domestic and she was paying 2,000 Bhat every two weeks to an agency that the Phillipinas use to do the border runs, this ate up most of her salary. I felt that I could not support her, having to pay out that money every two weeks.

At a border you don't get an extension. You can get a new permission to stay for 2 weeks, for more one would have to go to an embassy and request a visa. They can get an extension of stay if they have a work permit and meet the minimum income requirements.

I do not know what immigration is telling them, but I had a Phillipina girlfriend in Bangkok last year, a domestic and she was paying 2,000 Bhat every two weeks to an agency that the Phillipinas use to do the border runs, this ate up most of her salary. I felt that I could not support her, having to pay out that money every two weeks.

Filipinas do not need the cambodian visa, so I guess the price is around THB650to THB800.- for a 2week run.

many filipinas got, in the past, double entry tourist visas, so they stayed 2x60days =total 120days on one visa.

Since the Royal Thai Embassies around Thailand, Laos/Cambodia/Malaysia started to limit the number of tourist visas issued it is more hard for everyone to secure tourist visa.

l still dont know why people think pinay are different then other farang, off course they are asian and get the benifits of that here in thailand compared to other non asian aliens

out of first hand information, a 15 day visa is only 700 thb, if you have a good agent he counts thetimes you go to 1 border and change if necesary

a double entry (60 days +30 days a bkk immigration +60 days ) is only 5100 thb for pinoy

At a border you don't get an extension. You can get a new permission to stay for 2 weeks, for more one would have to go to an embassy and request a visa. They can get an extension of stay if they have a work permit and meet the minimum income requirements.

A letter of employment and a contract between the school ( I guess that's what she's doing) and the employee will easily get her a Non-B visa good for three months.

I guess there are schools who can come up with the right documents, working on a tourist visa isn't legal............:jap:

Did she tell you about her kids and husband back home? :jap:

Did she tell you about her kids and husband back home? :jap:

Some quit advise for some Filapinas before going to Thailand, Get a multible entry (tourist) visa from the Thai Embassy in Manila before even going there if yo plan on spending months there, its easier & cheaper in the long run.

What a sport!

they are asian and get the benifits of that here in thailand compared to other non asian aliens

out of first hand information, a 15 day visa is only 700 thb, if you have a good agent he counts thetimes you go to 1 border and change if necesary

a double entry (60 days +30 days a bkk immigration +60 days ) is only 5100 thb for pinoy

what benefit a Filipina has in Thailand?

I would like to see that good agent who counts and tell the Royal Thai Embassies to give them double entry, and I would like to know how you calculate THB 5,100for filipinas.

Minimum income requirements are for retirement and marriage visas, not work permits.

Actually there are no income requirements for any kind of visa - for some extensions of stay yes (and for work is one of them - as the reference post points out).

WRONG - A 'Retirement Visa' has an income requirement - OR - a frozen savings account. Every year, for 8 years I have gotten an embassy document describing my income, plus, I have always had to show copies of my bank statements and have a letter from the bank. Definitely an income requirement...

Actually the Long Stay non immigrant O-A visa is a pre-approved extension of stay/visa combination so the financials are for the extension of stay portion.

But are you even talking about a long stay visa (8 years?) or are you talking about a one year extension of stay for retirement issued by Immigration inside Thailand (which is not a visa)?

WRONG - A 'Retirement Visa' has an income requirement - OR - a frozen savings account. Every year, for 8 years I have gotten an embassy document describing my income, plus, I have always had to show copies of my bank statements and have a letter from the bank. Definitely an income requirement...

I suspect that you have an Extension of Stay and not a Visa.

I suspect that you have an Extension of Stay and not a Visa.

Are we arguing semantics, ignorance, or both?

I am also here on what is termed a 'Retirement Visa.' True, each year, I get an 'Extension of Stay,' but it is based on--pay attention now--the Non-Imm O VISA; hence, the word, 'Extension'.

As you mentioned, the Retirement part is based upon financial evidence provided to Thai Immigration. However, I am on my fifth extension of my Non-Imm O VISA, and I have never been required to have or show any bank documentation.

Neither have I seen the term 'Retirement Visa' written in English anywhere in my passport, or in any documentation I have signed.

However, Thai Immigration has stamped the word 'Retirement' on the 'Extension of Stay' pages in my passport and written the word on some of the documentation I signed.

Could this mean the 'Extension of Stay' is for the 'Retirement Visa' instead of the Non-Imm O VISA? I think 'Retirement' is one way to extend a Non-Imm O VISA.

Your extension of stay is currently based on meeting the requirements of police order 777/2551. That allows extension of your stay (not your visa) if you had a non immigrant visa entry and meet the other conditions. You do not have an extension of your non immigrant O visa - only of the stay that you received on entry.

I do speak from personal experience,

the advantage they have is because the are asian race, it seems important , dont ask me why....

personaly l know alot of pinay (+50) here in bkk area who are "living" here for more then 10 years

and do visa runs in order to stay in regulation according to thai immigration law

some do runs every 2 weeks and they pay 700thb....others ( caucasian race) pay 1200 for the visarun and 15 day visa

other pinay do double entry ...5100 visarun +stay overnight in hotel..thats 60 days +30 days any border ( 700thb ) then 3or 4 times 15day visa at 700thb then double entry again

the agent is a thai,doing this legal business for many years ,he is up to date about almost all laws here ,

not only for filipino's , but for everybody who needs a visa, even l do the runs with him, very easy ,you just drive to the border and cross

in a comfortable minivan, ur room is booked ,the agent goes tothe thai embasy and the next day day you get ur passport back.....

what more can l do ? lm so surprised so many people pay 2000 thb for just 15 days !!!

they are asian and get the benifits of that here in thailand compared to other non asian aliens

I would like to see that good agent who counts and tell the Royal Thai Embassies to give them double entry, and I would like to know how you calculate THB 5,100for filipinas.

Actually there are no income requirements for any kind of visa - for some extensions of stay yes (and for work is one of them - as the reference post points out).

Lopburi3, let me congratulate you on your 37,631 posts since February 2003. Wow, that's 12 posts per day for about eight and a half years.

I have had to show 'income requirements' for each of the two (2) Non-Imm type O visas I have gotten in Penang--the last in December 2010.

In fact, I was denied a Non-Imm O visa in Penang when I had no proof of income.

I have also had to show 'income requirements' for each of the five (5) Extensions of Stay stamps I have received.

In fact, my Immigration officer allowed my second Extension of Stay without a current income statement, but admonished me to provide a new income statement the next year.

I do speak from personal experience,

the advantage they have is because the are asian race, it seems important , dont ask me why....

personaly l know alot of pinay (+50) here in bkk area who are "living" here for more then 10 years

and do visa runs in order to stay in regulation according to thai immigration law

some do runs every 2 weeks and they pay 700thb....others ( caucasian race) pay 1200 for the visarun and 15 day visa

other pinay do double entry ...5100 visarun +stay overnight in hotel..thats 60 days +30 days any border ( 700thb ) then 3or 4 times 15day visa at 700thb then double entry again

the agent is a thai,doing this legal business for many years ,he is up to date about almost all laws here ,

not only for filipino's , but for everybody who needs a visa, even l do the runs with him, very easy ,you just drive to the border and cross

in a comfortable minivan, ur room is booked ,the agent goes tothe thai embasy and the next day day you get ur passport back.....

what more can l do ? lm so surprised so many people pay 2000 thb for just 15 days !!!

well it does not add up.

You probably mean Filipinos have advantage when going to Laos or Cambodia because they do not pay for the Arrival Visa there, but for Thailand they have, IMHO, no benefit of being ASIAN.

Ok, visa run for filipinas is around THB700.- for a 15days stamp or for the activation of a second entry.

But any further extension at Thai Immigration cost THB 1,900.- (hence your THB 5,100.- for 60days+30days at bkk Immigration + 60days must be wrong). The cheapest trip with Double entry in Laos is THB 3,800.-, for Cambodia (currently suspended, THB 4,700.-, add THB 1,900.-for the extension, ther4 this would cost them THB5,700.-.

Most Filipinas I know did a double entry in Laos for THB3,800.- ,which gave them 60days, after the 60days they went to Cambodia for the day trip, pay THB 700.- for the second entry which gave them another 60days= total 120days for THB4,500.-, in most cases they never extented at Immigration.

It is also wrong that, after a couple of 15day run, they can apply for another double entry.

Furthermore the offer of THB 1,200.- for foreigner would be a sensation.

Appreciate your comment.

Lopburi3, let me congratulate you on your 37,631 posts since February 2003. Wow, that's 12 posts per day for about eight and a half years.

I have had to show 'income requirements' for each of the two (2) Non-Imm type O visas I have gotten in Penang--the last in December 2010.

In fact, I was denied a Non-Imm O visa in Penang when I had no proof of income.

I have also had to show 'income requirements' for each of the five (5) Extensions of Stay stamps I have received.

In fact, my Immigration officer allowed my second Extension of Stay without a current income statement, but admonished me to provide a new income statement the next year.

I suspect to obtain a multi entry visa you had to supply a bank account of some type but do not believe it was income proof as in an Embassy letter for immigration? A single entry visa should not require even that (and multi entry in most western countries) but Consulate can ask what they want so more is being asked by some. But it is not a visa requirement but a specific Consulate requirement.

Is there a central point of contact for hiring of Pilipinas for various forms of employment?

For housework are they paid the same, more or less than a qualified Thai? The people I know who have hired foreign help use Burmese. Maybe it depends on where you live???

I wanted to hire a Pilipina but the local association was a bit weird and demanded to know how much the salary was before the person even applied or gave any indication of ability and the person on the phone simply kept insisting that the woman they were considering "was good looking".

Good looking does not have any bearing on the office work that needs to be done.

Is a visa run the usual method of staying long term for them?

This is something about Thailand which I know almost nothing about.

Are we arguing semantics, ignorance, or both?

Could this mean the 'Extension of Stay' is for the 'Retirement Visa' instead of the Non-Imm O VISA? I think 'Retirement' is one way to extend a Non-Imm O VISA.

It is true that an extension of stay is often referred to as a visa extension -- even on the immigration website -- and rarely does a foreigner come to harm because of a misunderstanding of these terms but it does happen occasionally.

Using the correct terminology, the chronological sequence in your case was as follows:

1. You applied for a non-O visa at a Thai consulate and were granted this visa. This was your permission to travel to Thailand or, as the words stamped or printed on the visa say, good for one journey (or one entry) to Thailand.
  2. You travelled to Thailand and on arrival were given permission to stay for 90 days.
  3. Before the expiration of your 90-day permission to stay you applied at your local immigration office for an extension of your permission to stay for the reason of retirement (for short: retirement extension) and were granted this extension, then repeated this extension on a yearly basis.

your visa is only issued for a set number of days non-o 90days , tourist visa 60 days, you can be issued a multiply entry non-o which requires a border run every 90 days to keep it active if you miss the border run your non-o visa expires. You can extend your 60 day tourist visa for 30 days if you donot the visa is finished.