Too Much For Newbie ?

monty1412

OK background.. 50 year old guy recently divorced and just moved to work in Thailand, living in Bangkok for 2 months now.

Have loved motorbikes for years but had never really ridden or owned one and so even before I had a place organised in BKK I had bought a Newish CBR250R. Love riding it around and learning how to ride or rather dodge taxi drivers etc . actually its not them that are the worst rather the " go fast" dickheads.. you know the ones who have a shitty old car that they have annointed the dash with various gauges and belive thay are in some sort of street race or extras in the Italian Job.

Anyway I digress, love my CBR250R, the guy i bought it from was a bike enthusiast and had upgraded it with allot of extras.. will definitely keep it but found myself gazing lustfully at bigger bikes at traffic lights etc. ( (There must be a name for this condition.... maxcube envy ????)

So onto the internet boards and a refurbished, repainted mechanically sound CBR400rr with REPSOL paint job and full faring has been sourced with a reasonable price tag.

Only issue its in Phuket.

So its off to phuket to take ownership and finally onto my topic.

Is the ride Phuket- Bangkok too much for a newish rider...I plan to do it over 2-3 days and go up via Ranong then cut across to Chumphon or should I go via Surat Thani.

Im not the type of rider who sits in centre lane motoring along at 40km below speed limit rather tries to enjoy the road and its curves without being a loon.

So new rider, new bike ( to me), long drive, unknown roads... am I being over ambitious or is it an opportunity for a great experience and a boat load of learnings...

comments and advice welcome and appreciated.

rgds Monty

Great advice Tim, at first reading yes it sounds ambitious. I drove it in a relatively new pick up some years back. It is one of rhose journeys that seem to go on forever. Many roadworks were in progress then, not sure about now but my guess is yes. As you have survived BKk then you must be no mug. If you are strict with yourself and keep your speed to suit the conditions, Plan your stops before dusk and get plenty of rest. Expect the unexpected, keep yourself hydrated and top up with energy snacks then no reason why you can't achieve it. Probably best to have a couple of shorter trips first though. Good luck Monty safectrip mate. Have you thought of sticking her on the train instead, say half way and ride the rest.

once started you always want more :) first i wanna give you some advice on the cbr400rr, cause these kind of bikes are imported and you should check the paperwork greenbook, tax paid etc, its common that these bikes may have a recycled greenbook... Bike could be also assembled from different parts or have a dodgy history another point is that its not easy to get spare parts and IF the bike starts to have some problems it may is a endless hole you are throwing money in not mentioned the hassle with it.

When i was new to bikes here i was surfing around forums and boards finding alot of nice looking bikes but after i learned about these things i ended up buying "official" thai bikes only.

The Trip: Never drove that far down south don't know the route, but if you are doing it plan well before know the route you will go, plan some stops and be well prepared and force yourself to drive not too fast :) I think you should not go all the way on the highway these roads are insane especially for a beginner better choose country roads they are not that busy and mostly more pleasant to drive plus they can be scenic and you may meet nice ppl around your stops.

Anyway good luck and take care!

I would not ride a secondhand bike with unknown maintainhistory this far alone, even tho I have been riding for +30 years

1. You dont know the tyres condition, have they been repaired, will they blow up (at speed)

2. Bikes condition, bearings, brakes, chain, a bike like this needs to be picked apart to be safe

3. Expect no spareparts on your way, none. Possibly after a few days search in Surat and Hua Hin area

4. Long way between towns (200km), been driving this route +100 times, very long way between proper hospitals. One in Surat, one in Hua Hin, one in Petchbury, the rest are crap, more like slaughterhouses

To ship the bike is a few k baht, Post office, or you could rent a pickup in BKK

as for the bikes docs, most are fake/recycled dream/wave books, so bring book and bike to DLT and have a look at its history, as not visible in new book. common signs are not 4 cylinder, 400cc, no excicetax info in page 18

once started you always want more :) first i wanna give you some advice on the cbr400rr, cause these kind of bikes are imported and you should check the paperwork greenbook, tax paid etc, its common that these bikes may have a recycled greenbook... Bike could be also assembled from different parts or have a dodgy history another point is that its not easy to get spare parts and IF the bike starts to have some problems it may is a endless hole you are throwing money in not mentioned the hassle with it.

When i was new to bikes here i was surfing around forums and boards finding alot of nice looking bikes but after i learned about these things i ended up buying "official" thai bikes only.

The Trip: Never drove that far down south don't know the route, but if you are doing it plan well before know the route you will go, plan some stops and be well prepared and force yourself to drive not too fast :) I think you should not go all the way on the highway these roads are insane especially for a beginner better choose country roads they are not that busy and mostly more pleasant to drive plus they can be scenic and you may meet nice ppl around your stops.

Anyway good luck and take care!

no country roads to choose, all highways from BKK to center of Phuket

the ranong route on highway 4 is slower and more scenic than surat route, but also harder to find anyone can replace a light bulb or other fix

If you can confidently ride in Bangkok, you can ride anywhere. The question is whether you have ever ridden non stop for a hundred kilometers or more? Even with a comfortable seat, you will likely become saddle sore and at a fuel stop you will dread getting back in the saddle. Yes, there are some very serious long distance riders but they are a different breed from normal pleasure riders.

It's a totally different thing to go on a day long ride at a leisurely pace with frequent stops and an 850 kilometer trip.

Edited by Gary A

Thank you to all here and great friendly advice.

Well I have a few days to think it through however certainly the common theme that your a mug if you take a grey bike for a long ride sticks in my mind.

Guy Im buying it from seems a real nice guy and seems to know his stuff and certainly all my dealings with him thus far have given me no reason to have any question mark moments. He also uses bike for visa runs from Phuket to Ranong. Ill talk with him about this as i don't believe he will bs me.

I think what i will do is take it easy and leave Phuket on Friday morning early and look to get to at least 4 hours ride under my belt... if after first 4 hours Im saddle sore such that i walk like a hooker after a session with a team of Indians or sick to death or scared to death of stray dogs/ pot holes and durians that have literally fallen off the back of the truck then I will call it quits and head back to Phuket or next largest town maybe surat thani and put bike on train.

There is a sort of challenge to doing this that i like and part of it is wrapped up in hey life has changed and I can do these things now.

Im sort of working on averaging about 60km/h being conservative which means maintaining 80km/h plus on good raods and 40-50km/h on others plus taking of at dawn each morning and getting 3 hours solid in.

Ill post a trip report and a few pictures.. if you don't see it on the board next week then you'll know I either chickened out or the blessing at the temple didn't work.

Thanks to all again....

Make sure you know how much fuel the bike uses ! and errr, try to stay away from PTT gas stations. But come to think of it you better get what you can.:huh:

Good luck and may the force be with you.:jap:

PS.. bring a rain suit, bungee cords, water proof bag and a rag to wipe down your helmets face shield. Those cold towels sold in 7-11 are refreshing, usually hanging up in the sandwich cooler

i would make it a 2 day trip if you dont feel fancy doing it all in 1 day

850km in a day is possible but 400ish by 2 days with a bit of rest in between would be so much safer

youl be driving flat out if your exhausted and trying to cover that last 200km to home and when u get tired u make mistakes u wouldnt normally make

Give your self plenty of time. Years ago started on a rode trip to california from Texas well the first stop was 90 miles I put my foot down to stop and just kept on going off. My legg wouldn't support my self and the bit of weight from the cycle a BMW R50 5. After a bit had it back up and on the kick stand needless to say a sign of things to come on my big adventure. Over by Kingman Arizona after about 4 hours in the saddle without break same thing happened. Finally made it up to San Francisco the next day.

These where the only two times this happen after this took closer breaks ran up and down highway 101 and Highway 1 for a year both great rides at the time 1971 and 1972.

be safe and I would still be a bit leary of the seller you really donot know him and he wants to sale his bike, so willing to say what ever it takes to peddle it. Hopefully I am worng and he is the salt of the earth.

"I'm not the type of rider who sits in centre lane motoring along at 40km below speed limit rather tries to enjoy the road and its curves without being a loon."

sounds like you have the right attitude and it should be a blast. I suggest 8-10 Buddhas on the dash for luck just in case ...... as long as you don't decide to trade up to a 1000cc when you return.

Edited by paulian

What a great friendly community board here. Really appreciate it. Guess we are all bound by a common interest and passion and so supportive of each other. Thanks to all once again.

So nice to get real and value responses as above rather than points or questions on the general forum boards where everything you say or write gets derision or angst applied.

KRS1... is their an issue with PTT fuel ??? Good advice re the knowledge re mileage...ill maintain a log of it early in trip to get a feel... i.e fill up at every opportunity and measure consumption to get early indicators even if its only 100 or so miles since last fill.

Have Vuplexed the visor so it should bead off water like a lotus leaf... have small can of it in my kit as well.

Those refresher towels are like gold I agree.. my kids when they were up two weeks ago used to get about 10 of them per day.

WANA.. exactly my game plan.. in fact have allowed safety of having third day if needed. I drove up from Surat Thani two weeks ago and the last section from Hua Hin to BKK is Ok but some hairy sections and will want to stay away from peak period so a Sunday morning blast from there might work well. I think what you have said about last 200km is spot on.. human nature to say "its only 200km I'll just do it" but thats the danger time.

MOE666... thanks I hadn't thought about legs sort of going to sleep on you and will watch for that.

PAULIAN... you made me laugh at thought of getting back and saying "right that was fun.. now a bigger bike"... maybe just me but read about a new Honda 600 cc coming to Thailand and had already thought to myself hmmm get experienced on 400cc then maybe get the 600 version.... does it ever stop??

Thanks again to all... will definitely say a few prayers to the Gods of the Road before setting off.... there i'snt a Roman God or Saint of Motorcycle riding is their by chance....

Saint Ducati of Aprillo or something like that.. ha

KRS1... is their an issue with PTT fuel ??? Good advice re the knowledge re mileage...ill maintain a log of it early in trip to get a feel... i.e fill up at every opportunity and measure consumption to get early indicators even if its only 100 or so miles since last fill.

Have Vuplexed the visor so it should bead off water like a lotus leaf... have small can of it in my kit as well.

Those refresher towels are like gold I agree.. my kids when they were up two weeks ago used to get about 10 of them per day.

I lose power when ever I use PTT, up here in CNX I've found these gas stations best in fuel quality from best to worst: PURE, Caltex, ESSO, Petronas, Green Leaf, Shell, PTT (Shell is ok, but it burns away quicker than other brands and there is a discrepancy of whether or not they are passing off gasohol 95 as benzine at my nearest station) No Jet up north.

A PTT station in Tak clogged my jets do to rust in the underground storage tank. I know not every station will be like this, but this was a newly built looking station and bike started sputtering in the mountains, 2 days later it stalled.

I lose power when ever I use PTT, up here in CNX I've found these gas stations best in fuel quality from best to worst: PURE, Caltex, ESSO, Petronas, Green Leaf, Shell, PTT (Shell is ok, but it burns away quicker than other brands and there is a discrepancy of whether or not they are passing off gasohol 95 as benzine at my nearest station) No Jet up north.

A PTT station in Tak clogged my jets do to rust in the underground storage tank. I know not every station will be like this, but this was a newly built looking station and bike started sputtering in the mountains, 2 days later it stalled.

I have been using Ptt 80% of the fillups during 9 years and +450.000km. No issues

and shell 95 is E10, petrol 95 not available at shell

I really like to see the trip report. Sounds like a bit of an adventure so should be lots to tell. I've done a few long bike trips and I've made that very common mistake of trying to go too far on day 1 and regretting it later. Take it easy and avoid a deadline and it should be fun.

I really like to see the trip report. Sounds like a bit of an adventure so should be lots to tell. I've done a few long bike trips and I've made that very common mistake of trying to go too far on day 1 and regretting it later. Take it easy and avoid a deadline and it should be fun.

Will do have purchased a smaller non SLR dig camera to take happy snaps along the way.

Based on advice here I havent planned stops rather will stop when im tired or felling saddle sore.. that way im not pushing to get to X point along the way.

I have been using Ptt 80% of the fillups during 9 years and +450.000km. No issues

and shell 95 is E10, petrol 95 not available at shell

I've asked 4 gas pumpers for benzene 91, 2 said gasohol 95 is the equivalent. While the other 2 just reach for the one thats suppose to be benzene.

There's no listing price for benzene on the big billboard though...:huh:

It may be harder to tell the difference in power between fuels with a multicylinder bike, but on a lethargic 150cc the difference is quite noticeable. My bike runs like a slug on PTT.

Edited by KRS1

Im sort of working on averaging about 60km/h being conservative which means maintaining 80km/h plus on good raods and 40-50km/h on others plus taking of at dawn each morning and getting 3 hours solid in.

"cruising" as 80kph on a CBR 400? You won't get out of 3rd gear and you'd better stay well over on the shoulder or you'll get run over by the normal traffic going 120-140. I you want to cruise at 80kph perhaps a Honda Wave would be a better choice? ;)

Make sure you know how much fuel the bike uses ! and errr, try to stay away from PTT gas stations. But come to think of it you better get what you can.:huh:

PS.. bring a rain suit, bungee cords, water proof bag and a rag to wipe down your helmets face shield. Those cold towels sold in 7-11 are refreshing, usually hanging up in the sandwich cooler

I've been using PTT in most of my bikes and cars for years without any problems. The only time I KNOW I got a tank of bad gas was when a whole bunch of us filled up at a Shell station and all of our bikes were running like crap afterwards. Assume they had watered down the fuel.

I'm hope the OP is aware that his Honda CBR 400 RR is not designed to run on gasohol. I also suspect that bike needs high octane fuel. Unfortunately it's now very difficult to find benzene 95 in Thailand. Seems Caltex is the only company that still sells benzene 95, but it's not available at all Caltex stations. Recommend you carry a bottle of octane booster and add a capful to your tank when you fill with benzene 91. Not all stations stock Benzene 91 these days, but the big PTT's usually have it. Good luck!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Thats True..OP understand that the Old Cbr's whether 250 or 400 DO NOT RUN well on Gasohol..if at all and with this governments ideas about doing away with normal petrol/ 100% benzine you COULD be buying a lot of problems.. personally i would stick to your perfectly good fuel injected CBR250 and look for a bigger bike with fuel injection.

in the next few years i think the big bike market will open up and there will be many more bikes available (i have been down the older bike route here in Thailand....never again)

"cruising" as 80kph on a CBR 400? You won't get out of 3rd gear and you'd better stay well over on the shoulder or you'll get run over by the normal traffic going 120-140. I you want to cruise at 80kph perhaps a Honda Wave would be a better choice? ;)

Law of averages.... to maintain 80km/h plus ( as per wording on original post) on highway you need to be doing 100-120-130km/h where you can and where its safe. Not sure relevance of honda wave comment when whole post has been around a different bike entirely.

For example i did Chumpon to Cha am the other day in a BMW x5.. some sections i was at 160km/h on long straigts.. going through towns and truck traffic say my average speed for the whole section down to 90km/h.

As such to achieve and average of 80km/h I will have to be doing what i can within sfaty margins and sensibility.

Trust that clarifies.

I've been using PTT in most of my bikes and cars for years without any problems. The only time I KNOW I got a tank of bad gas was when a whole bunch of us filled up at a Shell station and all of our bikes were running like crap afterwards. Assume they had watered down the fuel.

I'm hope the OP is aware that his Honda CBR 400 RR is not designed to run on gasohol. I also suspect that bike needs high octane fuel. Unfortunately it's now very difficult to find benzene 95 in Thailand. Seems Caltex is the only company that still sells benzene 95, but it's not available at all Caltex stations. Recommend you carry a bottle of octane booster and add a capful to your tank when you fill with benzene 91. Not all stations stock Benzene 91 these days, but the big PTT's usually have it. Good luck!

many thanks.. will do so. Also have small a bottle of pure methanol.... advantage of this stuff is that it has a higher octane rating than petrol in itself and drags any moisture and aqueous soluble sediment through.

Don't get the CBR400RR, those bikes are often old, been thrashed half to death and have less than legit registration docs. They are also very uncomfy and not great for long journeys at all. My advice would be to keep the CBR250 for now (which is a great little bike) and move up to a locally made Kawasaki when your experience/funds allow. You can pick up a good Er6n for under 200,000 baht which represents much better value when you consider the dealer support, legit docs and all around usability.

A bath towel folded up on the seat is good padding, worked for me not sure if it would raise you up too high on a CBR seat though, maybe a hand towel. I have just treated myself to a new seat on my bike, the old one was pretty solid and killed my a$$ after 60 kilos, 120 was murder and 200 it just went dead, started riding with a towel much better. Now it is very comfortable, I wish I had done it earlier. I used to do an almost 200 km commute every weekend for 12 months Phitsanulok to Phetchbun.

Nothing wrong with the trip. Phuket to Surat T is Ok . The rest is dull divided highway.

If you MUST get the 400, ride it around Phuket for a day before leaving the island. That way if anything goes wrong you can mail it to Bangkok for fixing. IF you can find a place you trust to fix it.

My 2c is the Kawasaki ER6 route.

That being said you may get lucky and end up with a perfectly good 400

agree on the speed, go with the car and bus flow, which is approx 120 kmh, or go faster and avoid being tailgated.

slower you need to stay on the shoulder with the mopeds and samlors at 60-90kmh. this speed in left lane, you will be run over. this speed in the right lane, you will be run over and then fined

many thanks.. will do so. Also have small a bottle of pure methanol.... advantage of this stuff is that it has a higher octane rating than petrol in itself and drags any moisture and aqueous soluble sediment through.

Weather patterns are crap. Rain and thunderstorms all along South East and SouthWest coast.. some sort of tropical storm in Bay of Tonkin. Guy Im buying bike off reports flooding in some ares of Phuket. No way known Im going to try this in rain and storm conditions. one week delay cost me lost airfare of B2000 but thats life.

Hate to delay the trip but hate sliding acros greasy wet roads and feeling miserable more. Nothing on next weekend so free to try this journey then....if weather good this weekend in BKK ( which its not looking like) might try a long ride such as Pattaya.