Samoeng Farm Bungalows

RidersCorner

Samoeng Farm Bungalows

A gap in the rain, so we took a quick ride out to Samoeng, west of Chiang Mai city

6200527425_42e9001760_b.jpg

Herman has a German friend who lives in samoeng and told me he had some well hidden, private bungalows, so we went and had a look. This one 500 bht a night very private

6201037980_9e9d23d919_b.jpg

6200509431_acc4046ffe_b.jpg

Clean new room inside

6201020412_a7162c6744_b.jpg

Nice new bathroom - always nice to find (can be scary here)

6201020556_a30fffd97e_b.jpg

Beautiful unspoiled view from the bungalow

6201037512_7c18882804_b.jpg

2 other bungalows here has for rent for 300 bht each

6201038438_32d804ee29_b.jpg

Niko's house who owns the Bungalows

6200508757_576f1f2ac7_b.jpg

Gps co-ords of the Samoeng Farm Bungalows

18 deg 50 44.1 N

098deg 43 39.6 E

More info on Bungalows and the Samoeng area here:

http://rideasia.net/...alows-t897.html

Map of where the Samoeng Farm bungalows are located in Samoeng is below, the last left turn is a small unmade dirt trail, big enough for a pickup.

6201875099_926e436c1c_b.jpg

Map copyright © www.RideAsia.net

Edited by RidersCorner

Winnie- This guy has done a great job of his bungalows (especially this one), if you want to get away from it all, its the perfect location and a 90 minute ride from Chiang Mai city

Nice! I like the bathroom up on the main sleeping area and not below on the ground level, AND that it has some kind of roof window making it nice and bright. I like wooden houses but don't like where the bathroom usually ends up; (some dank, dark place below).

Edited by RidersCorner

Winnie- This guy has done a great job of his bungalows (especially this one), if you want to get away from it all, its the perfect location and a 90 minute ride from Chiang Mai city

Nice! I like the bathroom up on the main sleeping area and not below on the ground level, AND that it has some kind of roof window making it nice and bright. I like wooden houses but don't like where the bathroom usually ends up; (some dank, dark place below).

Certainly looks quite interesting and I'm instantly thinking about a family week-end trip to this place, but I have one question, is it built in a forest area where development (especially of houses and resorts) is prohibited. Not trying to be negative, just looking for some clarification on this point.

It's right on the outskirt of the town, just far enough away to be private, it's not in a forest area, sort of on the side of a rice field

Below is a photo of the entrance gate to Sameong Farm Bungalows. Im told Niko's Thai wife is an excellent cook and will cook for you

6202006739_c6da714ac1_b.jpg

Certainly looks quite interesting and I'm instantly thinking about a family week-end trip to this place, but I have one question, is it built in a forest area where development (especially of houses and resorts) is prohibited. Not trying to be negative, just looking for some clarification on this point.

Edited by RidersCorner

It's right on the outskirt of the town, just far enough away to be private, it's not in a forest area, sort of on the side of a rice field

Below is a photo of the entrance gate to Sameong Farm Bungalows. Im told Niko's Thai wife is an excellent cook and will cook for you

6202006739_c6da714ac1_b.jpg

Thanks for the clear answer. I might add, the question came from my adult Thai son who likes his kids to see this sort of environment, stay in a house of this type of construction etc, he wants his kids to understand where rice comes from, etc., but at the same time he's become very serious about forest encroachment as one example to teach his kids about following the law etc., and he tries to be careful that he practices what he preaches.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just found out about this thread, was abroad when RidersCorner came to visit.

To the concern about forest encroachment I can tell you, the land has been a rice paddy "forever", according to the locals, and got papers 50 years ago.

The forest is starting just behind the house, and it is regenerating since I put a stop to the locals cutting any tree they found to have some red ants or wasp nests they could get eggs out.

Houses where build with "second-hand" wood meaning buying old houses in the area and reusing the wood, I did all the building with the help of a couple of locals. (that's why it took so long and the restaurant is still not finished...)

Hope to have clarified the forest issue, for any more infos just ask!

in the web u find me at samoeng(dot)info

Cheers

Niko

Hi everyone!

Just found out about this thread, was abroad when RidersCorner came to visit.

To the concern about forest encroachment I can tell you, the land has been a rice paddy "forever", according to the locals, and got papers 50 years ago.

The forest is starting just behind the house, and it is regenerating since I put a stop to the locals cutting any tree they found to have some red ants or wasp nests they could get eggs out.

Houses where build with "second-hand" wood meaning buying old houses in the area and reusing the wood, I did all the building with the help of a couple of locals. (that's why it took so long and the restaurant is still not finished...)

Hope to have clarified the forest issue, for any more infos just ask!

in the web u find me at samoeng(dot)info

Cheers

Niko

Can you give a Google Map link and a phone to make reservations?

Thanks

@sfokevin : Just type "Samoeng Farm" into google maps, or visit samoeng.at or samoeng.info all infos there... better to write a mail since I'm working outside a lot and sometimes don't reach the phone in time.

@Thaifan2 : Thanks! actually it's not teak but so called "Thai Rosewood" or Mai Pradoo, the proper name is "Pterocarpus macrocarpus" and it's much harder than teak and a real pain in the #ss to work with, can't get a nail through and makes the tools blunt in no time.