True Internet Very Slow

I'm on the True cable 20Mb/2Mb plan and for the last few days surfing the internet has been s....l.....o......w. Sometimes semi-OK speed wise but most of the time just slow in accessing sites. My cable UpStream/Downstream/SNR metrics are outstanding and I can pull 20Mb download speed test metrics but surfing web sites is slow. Pulling up the Bangkok Post takes forever and The Nation semi-forever....well, it's not really that bad but most sites are slow. Slow whether I use one of the True proxies or not; I've had better speed results by not using the proxies.

But by using my StrongVPN to the San Francisco VPN server I get quite acceptable internet browsing speed....even the Bangkok Post, The Nation, and ThaiVisa pull almost fast. Funny how I'm in Bangkok, connecting to my VPN service in San Francisco, then from SF to Bangkok/Singapore hosted web sites, then back to SF, then back to my Bangkok computer in my web browsing and it's much faster than not using VPN/just using True's servers. Yeap, True must be having some bandwidth/equipment problems....probably caused by the flooding. It could be worst--our computers could be under (or floating) on the flood water impacting many people.

Seems to be running at normal speeds today. One thing to remember is schools are on vacation so daytime usage probably higher than normal for last week or so; and for next couple of weeks. But yesterday was obviously an outage from something else.

Yea, based on my internet surfing this morning the speed is pretty much back to normal. Of course, it is Sunday when half of the Thai population goes to malls, Lotus, Big C, restaurants, etc., so maybe the internet usage is below normal. See what happens later this evening and tonight but if I had to bet money on what was going on True was having equipment issues. I just came back from Makro and I've never seen this store so jammed packed with people; expect Bangkok folks are afraid the flooding in some parts of the city will cause shortages of food/items....so, run-out and buy a lot to create a shortage.

Well, at my uncle's house in Nontaburi, I didn't get any Internet signals at all for two days. Must be the weather and the floods causing all that...

At my parent's house at Samut Prakan it's okay though...

Yeah it must be the floods. Makes me realise i need an extra satelite internetconnection for my business in case the mainline will be disrupted.

Yes I have noticed this over the past two weeks or so.

Not only that but I keep getting disconnected every 10 minutes or so.

Me too, the router loses the adsl signal twice each hour or so.

Where are you located?

I am located on Thong Lor. I am away for a few days and will contact True when I return.

everything is back to normal.

True tech came over updated the router's firmware and said the systems was down for updating.

The True helpdesk didn't even have a clue what was happening.

If they were down for updating they need to figure out a less disruptive way to do updates, whether it's software/firmware or hardware upgrades. Heck, periodically when I look at my True cable modem's menu/firmware I see an updated firmware version has been loaded...I never knew it happened unless looking at the firmware version. . Apparently with cable modems it's common to automatically forcefeed firmware updates; but it's not common with ADSL modems. If I had to bet some of my own money I would bet it was damaged equipment somewhere due to the flooding.

True tech came over updated the router's firmware and said the systems was down for updating.

If they were down for updating they need to figure out a less disruptive way to do updates, whether it's software/firmware or hardware upgrades. Heck, periodically when I look at my True cable modem's menu/firmware I see an updated firmware version has been loaded...I never knew it happened unless looking at the firmware version. . Apparently with cable modems it's common to automatically forcefeed firmware updates; but it's not common with ADSL modems. If I had to bet some of my own money I would bet it was damaged equipment somewhere due to the flooding.

I have been trying to contact True by telephone for a couple of days now so I decided to send an email. Today, I received the following reply. (Strangely enough I haven't been disconnected today)

Dear Mr. Peter,

True would like to apologize for any inconvenience and we would like to thank you for your information.

Regarding to the issue about internet keeps disconnect. We checked and found your ADSL number is 01 111 1111 (edited) In case that you using Zyxel 1 port or Zyxel P660 HW-T1 V2. we are pleased to send technician to replace the new router to you due to these 2 version having problem. Our customers who using these 2 version having the issue that the connection keeps disconnect. We can arrange technician to replace new router from 20/10/2011 now on , please reply to confirm an appointment date (except Sunday) , time (morning or afternoon) and the address that we can deliver.

I have been trying to contact True by telephone for a couple of days now so I decided to send an email. Today, I received the following reply. (Strangely enough I haven't been disconnected today)

Dear Mr. Peter,

True would like to apologize for any inconvenience and we would like to thank you for your information.

Regarding to the issue about internet keeps disconnect. We checked and found your ADSL number is 01 111 1111 (edited) In case that you using Zyxel 1 port or Zyxel P660 HW-T1 V2. we are pleased to send technician to replace the new router to you due to these 2 version having problem. Our customers who using these 2 version having the issue that the connection keeps disconnect. We can arrange technician to replace new router from 20/10/2011 now on , please reply to confirm an appointment date (except Sunday) , time (morning or afternoon) and the address that we can deliver.

The trouble with replacing the Zyxel router is that they might replace it with the True Router, which is very hard to configure and Port Forward. I have the Zyxel P660 at the moment and don't seem to have any problems.