Hamas, Israel reach agreement on prisoner swap for captured soldier Shalit

News_Editor

Hamas, Israel reach agreement on prisoner swap for captured soldier Shalit

2011-10-12 07:45:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- Israel and Hamas have reached an agreement which will secure the release of captive Israel Defense Forces soldier Gilad Shalit, officials at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said on late Tuesday.

Shalit was abducted by Hamas militants on June 25, 2006 and has been held in captivity since. His family has been attempting for years to have contact with him without avail.

Israel's Haaretz newspaper reported that officials in the Prime Minister's Office said that "a brief window of opportunity" has been opened that would possibly lead to Gilad Shalit's homecoming. They added: "The window appeared following fears that collapsing Mideast regimes and the rise of extremist forces would make Gilad Shalit's return impossible."

The Israeli cabinet is due to vote on the prisoner exchange agreement, but Netanyahu aides estimate that the deal will be approved by the cabinet. Several ministers who have voiced opposition to freeing terrorists in exchange for Shalit are being pushed to approve the deal.

The Egyptian intelligence has been mediating the previous rounds of talks between the Israeli delegation and Hamas. Speaking with Haaertz, one Egyptian official said: "After 64 months of tough negotiations we were able to complete the deal. It was a very difficult task, which included thousands of hours of negotiations."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed the deal that will reportedly free 1,027 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails. He said from the Venezuelan capital of Caracas, where he arrived on Tuesday, that he hopes that all Palestinian prisoners would be released from Israeli jails.

According to the deal, Israel will release 450 prisoners next week, including 315 prisoners serving life sentences. Another 577 prisoners, including all 27 female prisoners, will be released two months after concluding the first part of the deal, the Palestine News Network (PNN) reported.

Governments around the world have strongly condemned the continued detention of the IDF soldier and called on Hamas, a group the United States has designated as a terrorist organization, to release him immediately. UK Foreign Secretary William Hague welcomed the deal, saying that holding Shalit "in captivity has been utterly unjustified from the beginning and yet it has gone on for 5 long years."

He added: "We have always called for his unconditional release. We are pleased that this long overdue development is finally taking place."

However, it remains to be seen whether the agreement will be carried out. Last December, Israel and Hamas apparently also reached a deal for the release of Shalit, but the agreement never came about. Since then, negotiations for his release as part of a prisoner swap between Israel and the Palestinian movement have dragged on.

Since Shalit's capture, the only signs of life have been three letters, an audio tape released a year after he was taken and a brief video broadcast on October 2, 2009.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-12

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*edited*

http://www.debka.com/article/21378/

srael will hand over 1,027 Palestinian terrorists, cutting short the life sentences of 280 mass murderers responsible for hundreds of Israeli deaths.

Some are being deported to Turkey though and no doubt the Turks will welcome such cultural enrichment.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

Some of the terrorists serving life sentences might have a life ending "accident" after they are released. I think this is bad news for Israeli soldiers as more will be targeted for kidnapping now that Hamas sees what they can get for one.

This isn't the first time there has been a lop-sided prisoner swap. It is just concrete proof that Palestinians are worth a tiny fraction that of Israelis. It also shows that the civilised side in this is willing to go to extreme lengths to free one man, while the other side couldn't care much about their own people. How else can it be interpreted?

Edited by koheesti

Some of the terrorists serving life sentences might have a life ending "accident" after they are released. I think this is bad news for Israeli soldiers as more will be targeted for kidnapping now that Hamas sees what they can get for one.

This isn't the first time there has been a lop-sided prisoner swap. It is just concrete proof that Palestinians are worth a tiny fraction that of Israelis. It also shows that the civilised side in this is willing to go to extreme lengths to free one man, while the other side couldn't care much about their own people. How else can it be interpreted?

How else can it be interpreted?

That the Palestinians are better negotiators.

That the Israelis are sick of spending money on Palestinian prisoners.

That the Palestinian prisoners aren't really considered terrorists and should never have been jailed so setting them free is neither here nor there but if Israel can gain an Israeli prisoner in exchange then why not try it.

That Israel has an inflated view of their own worth.

That Israel thinks a Palestinian is not worth much.

Who cares? If both sides are happy why are you complaining?

*edited*

http://www.debka.com/article/21378/

srael will hand over 1,027 Palestinian terrorists, cutting short the life sentences of 280 mass murderers responsible for hundreds of Israeli deaths.

Some are being deported to Turkey though and no doubt the Turks will welcome such cultural enrichment.

How is being sent to Gaza deportation? I think that these people would be happier under Hamas than risk being killed or detained by Fatah.

As for Turkey, very interesting. Turkey wouldn't take the people unless it was talking to Israel. Turkey is playing a crucial role, so maybe the relationship between Turkey and Israel isn't finished after all.

And what's up with Egypt brokering the deal? Interesting developments.

That the Palestinian prisoners aren't really considered terrorists and should never have been jailed so setting them free is neither here nor there but if Israel can gain an Israeli prisoner in exchange then why not try it.

In 2000 I was in Israel when a friend's brother was shot by one of your persons who is not really a terrorist... it was like the whole nation of Israel went into mourning. It is impressive to me how much the Israelis value their soldier's lives. At the funeral there were thousands of people, and not one single word was spoken in hatred towards Palestinians they were simply grieving in a civilised manner (which is so different to when the 'non-terrorists' have a funeral for one of their own). While I was there I saw and heard of countless examples of how little the Arabs actually value any life (apart from their own persons), I am sorry to burst your little bubble mate, but you get it wrong time and time again.

Caring for your service-men is hardly inflating one's own worth.

How because Israel needs the death penalty for these terrorists so there wouldn't be so many to swap in the first place?

Remember the successful rescue of Israeli citizens from Entebbe? This reflects the Israeli attitude of always valuing the lives of her citizens. By contrast Hamas state explicitly, 'We desire death like you desire life'. The contrast couldn't be clearer and indeed the Palestinian factions are quite happy to deal out death to each other when not using their own as human shields or suicide bombers. The 'value' put on the released terrorists by Hamas is purely their potential to cause more deaths and not for their individual rights or freedoms.

That the Palestinian prisoners aren't really considered terrorists and should never have been jailed so setting them free is neither here nor there

I think that one is quite valid

By contrast Hamas state explicitly, 'We desire death like you desire life'.

This quote sums up the difference in thinking between Hamas and Israel.

But you don't see the brave Hamas leaders who make these statements, strapping bombs on themselves......no they use little kids and women, whilst they fire rockets from locations shielded by civilians.

Without doubt the scum of the earth!

That the Palestinian prisoners aren't really considered terrorists and should never have been jailed so setting them free is neither here nor there

Since 2004, 183 Israelis have been killed in terror attacks carried out by terrorists who were released from prison.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=241520

Oh, but they weren't terrorists to begin with, right?

In 2000 I was in Israel when a friend's brother was shot by one of your persons who is not really a terrorist... it was like the whole nation of Israel went into mourning. It is impressive to me how much the Israelis value their soldier's lives. At the funeral there were thousands of people, and not one single word was spoken in hatred towards Palestinians they were simply grieving in a civilised manner (which is so different to when the 'non-terrorists' have a funeral for one of their own). While I was there I saw and heard of countless examples of how little the Arabs actually value any life (apart from their own persons), I am sorry to burst your little bubble mate, but you get it wrong time and time again.

Caring for your service-men is hardly inflating one's own worth.

I think you are missing the whole point. I am not saying they are or aren't terrorists.

The question was asked 'how else can it be interpreted' and I indicated how else it can be interpreted. Whether you agree with the interpretation is a non issue, just simply showing that it CAN be interpreted differently.

The fact that you have had an acquaintance killed indicates to me that your view cannot be non biased.

As I said, both sides are happy with the result so what is the issue?

Since 2004, 183 Israelis have been killed in terror attacks carried out by terrorists who were released from prison.

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=241520

I think it is widely accepted that some who didn't consider terrorism before being wrongly imprisoned certainly have a different view after the way they are treated. It's human nature.

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=241520

I think it is widely accepted that some who didn't consider terrorism before being wrongly imprisoned certainly have a different view after the way they are treated. It's human nature.

Assume what you will... the facts are not as subjective as you are Wally... I mean Wallaby.

My views are subjective, at least I can admit this... unlike my dear friend from down-underwhistling.gif

When you visit Israel you will not be afraid of the IDF when you are wandering the streets, it is your friends Hamas who pose a threat to the safety of civilians with their indiscriminate terrorism...

My views are biased, I am a westerner and thus view things from that perspective, I don't see how any person can claim to be objective.

The Arabs (Palestinians) leverage the compassion that Israelis feel for their service men and use it as a bargaining tool. See to them it is not about the worth of a human life, lives are merely a means to an end for them... and an unjust end at that.

I can furnish more details about the debate between Israelis, as they do not all feel as happy about this prisoner swap as you seem to indicate (there were some demonstrations against it and opinions were expressed voicing concerns)... however, for the Palistinians, they are all very pleased with the outcome and promise that there will be more kidnappings to follow this one... ph34r.gif

Edited by SAffer

My views are subjective, at least I can admit this... unlike my dear friend from down-underwhistling.gif

When you visit Israel you will not be afraid of the IDF when you are wondering the streets, it is your friends Hamas who pose a threat to the safety of civilians with their indiscriminate terrorism...

My vies are biased, I am a westerner and thus view things from that perspective, I don't see how any person can claim to be objective.

The Arabs (Palastinians) leverage the compassion that Israelis feel for their service men and use it as a bargaining tool. See to them it is not about the worth of a human life, lives are merely a means to an end for them... and an unjust end at that.

Ok I'll admit it, my views are objective.

I'll say it again, why are you complaining about something that both sides are happy with?

When you visit Israel you will not be afraid of the IDF when you are wondering the streets, it is your friends Hamas who pose a threat to the safety of civilians with their indiscriminate terrorism...

My vies are biased, I am a westerner and thus view things from that perspective, I don't see how any person can claim to be objective.

The Arabs (Palastinians) leverage the compassion that Israelis feel for their service men and use it as a bargaining tool. See to them it is not about the worth of a human life, lives are merely a means to an end for them... and an unjust end at that.

I'll say it again, why are you complaining about something that both sides are happy with?

Abu Obaida, spokesman for the armed wing of Hamas, Izzadin Kassam warned Wednesday that Gilad Schalit, who is set to be released as part of a prisoner exchange deal, "will not be the last solider kidnapped by Hamas.... and there are other issues too (apart from your original anti-Israel post which is my biggest problem)

Terror victims' families condemn prisoner swap

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=241517

But, according to you, those families are also happy, right? And the terrorists are not terrorists?blink.gif

Abu Obaida, spokesman for the armed wing of Hamas, Izzadin Kassam warned Wednesday that Gilad Schalit, who is set to be released as part of a prisoner exchange deal, "will not be the last solider kidnapped by Hamas.... and there are other issues too (apart from your original anti-Israel post which is my biggest problem)

Terror victims' families condemn prisoner swap

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=241517

But, according to you, those families are also happy, right? And the terrorists are not terrorists?blink.gif

So which part of my original post do you not like.

A poster states that there is no other interpretation. I give other interpretations. I didn't say they were my interpretations, I simply stated there are other ways to interpret it. If you have a problem with that then that is an issue for you. Is it anti Israel to agree that they did the right thing is it?

So a few aren't happy, so what? They are not objective.

The facts are the facts, the Israeli govt said they were happy with the deal. Hamas and the Palestinians are happy with the deal. Some posters are lauding the deal by indicating how far the Israeli govt will go to get one of their own back. I take it you don't agree with them.

Seems to me that you are just unhappy because Hamas/Palestinians agreed to it.

Edited by Wallaby

This is nothing to do with the 'Israeli's being there for their Soldiers. This deal could easily have been brokered 4 years ago. This deal has now been struck for purely political motives. Palestine is now on the table at the UN for what will ultimately boil down to observer status. The Israeli's clearly do not want that and have now pulled an ace from out of their sleeves to be seen as playing 'fair and above board', willing to go that extra mile as it were. The terrorists that will be released are effectively under lock and key anyway in Palastine. The wall is built and there is no free travel between zones. No big deal and a big score for Israel in front of the UN. Simples really! It does not matter what the country is, never ever give credit to any Government for doing something in the interest of a single citizen. There is always something else behind the decision. This decision is quite plain to see.

Edited by GentlemanJim

This is nothing to do with the 'Israeli's being there for their Soldiers. This deal could easily have been brokered 4 years ago. This deal has now been struck for purely political motives. Palestine is now on the table at the UN for what will ultimately boil down to observer status. The Israeli's clearly do not want that and have now pulled an ace from out of their sleeves to be seen as playing 'fair and above board', willing to go that extra mile as it were. The terrorists that will be released are effectively under lock and key anyway in Palastine. The wall is built and there is no free travel between zones. No big deal and a big score for Israel in front of the UN. Simples really! It does not matter what the country is, never ever give credit to any Government for doing something in the interest of a single citizen. There is always something else behind the decision. This decision is quite plain to see.

Cynical but probably correct, i suspect.

Cynical but probably correct, i suspect.

Phil

I apologize for the cynicism but I honestly believe that this is the way it is. That poor lad could have been freed from Hamas years ago. He has been kept until an opportunistic moment presented itself. Still, whatever the ultimate reason I am delighted for him that he will soon be reunited with his family.