Evacuation, Flood Warning For Part Of Bangkok Outskirts

george

Flood warning for part of Bangkok outskirts

BANGKOK, October 13, 2011 (AFP) - Thai authorities issued a flood warning Thursday for areas in Bangkok's northern outskirts after a dyke burst, advising people living in one-storey buildings to evacuate.

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre high (3.3 feet) was expected in the areas of Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang. Inner Bangkok was not affected by the advisory.

"In the worst case scenario the water will not exceed one metre high, so do not panic," science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is in charge of flood relief operations in the area, said on national television.

Massive efforts are under way to try to protect the densely populated city of 12 million people from the country's worst floods in decades, which have killed at least 283 people and inundated large swathes of the country.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-13

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Centre: No need to panic

BANGKOK: -- In a live telecast broadcast on TV pool, flood relief centre director Pol Gen Pracha Phromnok assures the public that there is no need to panic as the government can cope with the situation.

The water level in Nakhon Sawan rises a little, but below Chao Phraya dam in Chai Nat the water level is stable or declines a little.

The waterflow rate into the sea is still quite satisfactory despite high tide earlier this morning.

The fear that rising water will breach Pathum Thani's water gates and flood Bangkok has yet to materialise. Water level in Khlong Prem Prachakorn that flows into Bangkok is not abnormally high.

The earlier warning to evacuate to high grounds was only a precaution for people living in low-lying areas. There is no need to panic. The most that people in outlying areas of Bangkok will face is about knee deep or waist deep, while inner Bangkok is still safe as the Chao Phraya river level is manageable.

-- BKK Post 2011-10-13

URGENT! Evacuations in Northern Bkk

UPDATE : 13 October 2011

The national flood center has announced that residents living in northern Bangkok, including the Klong Luang, Thammasat Rangsit, AIT, Northern Rangsit, Lum Luk Ka, Sai Mai, Rangsit, Pathum Thani, and Don Muang areas, should evacuate the area as major sand dikes in Pathum Thani Province have collapsed. Officials are saying that residents have 7 hours before floodwater hits the area. Residents are urged to bring their cars to the cargo area of Don Muang Airport.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-13

footer_n.gif

It's a very confusing news situation right now, we try to post all info we get. Bangkok governor having a meeting with flood officials. News briefing expected around 9 pm. There's no such thing as calm evacuation.

Live updates:

- Thailand Live:

- Via SMS:

- Via Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

- Via Facebook: http://facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre high (3.3 feet) was expected in the areas of Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang. Inner Bangkok was not affected by the advisory.

"In the worst case scenario the water will not exceed one metre high, so do not panic," science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is in charge of flood relief operations in the area, said on national television.

so is 1 mtre expected, or worst case scenario? , very conflicting!, nd if i knew there was going to be 1 mtre of water, i would panic , as it would damage my house and endanger lives !

also, if one floddgate is breched, how many more will brech?

with such conflicting reports from different agencies who appear not to be speaking with each other, i would prepare for the worst, better safe then sorry

This is getting fairly close to where I live.

Please let me know when it's OK to panic.

You should know:

When your government tells don't panic, it is time to scream and run.

When they tell don't hoard. Go in the supermarket and buy for 2 months.

If there wouldn't be reason to panic they wouldn't try to calm down the people...

To all concerned, best of luck guys. Don't be complacent, get all your family/valuables up to second floors. 1 M of water is a LOT of water to come down the street!. At worst case you have to carry everything back downstairs next week when nothing has happened. Good Luck.

Don Muang areas, should evacuate the area as major sand dikes in Pathum Thani Province have collapsed. Officials are saying that residents have 7 hours before floodwater hits the area.

looks like the DM might be closed for a while.

even if the runway survives, to passengers will be able to get from and into the airport

Edited by londonthai

Don Muang areas, should evacuate the area as major sand dikes in Pathum Thani Province have collapsed. Officials are saying that residents have 7 hours before floodwater hits the area.

looks like the DM might be closed for a while.

even if the runway survives, to passengers will be able to get from and into the airport

.....so what happens to all the folk that were told to evacuate TO Don Muang ??? Good planning ???

This is getting fairly close to where I live.

Please let me know when it's OK to panic.

I'm in Don Muang. A village just off Wiphavadi Rangsit. Near the National Memorial (by the RAF base).

I just spoke to a friend in this village, and people are worried. People in townhouses are moving their stuff upstairs.

Pathum Thani residents ordered to move to high ground

BANGKOK: -- The Nation Flood Relief Center on Thursday recommended people to evacuate to higher ground after a water gate in Pathum Thani broke down.

The recommendation to move to higher ground is for those in Pathum Thani’s Klong Luang, Lamlukka districts, Thammasat University’s Rangsit campus, upper part of Don Muang district and Rangsit.

The Klong Ban Phrao water gate broke down after officials failed to fix its leaks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-13

No issues here by Rangsit University/Muang Ake. We are still being told that all the levees are fine and they expect to be able to maintain it throughout the ordeal.

If they are talking about flooding in Don Muang though, that means there is already flooding south of us. The only way that can happen and Muang Ake still be dry is if there was a break through over by klong 5 and the water is heading down the eastern side of Viphavadi-Rangsit towards Bangkok.

Anyone who has any information about what is actually happening please share. It seems there is a bunch of confusion right now.

.....so what happens to all the folk that were told to evacuate TO Don Muang ??? Good planning ???

cars suppose to be moved to the airport car park, not people itself.

it's a high and solid construction, but not for people to stay for to long. No toilets, cooking equipment.

people should stay on a higher floors of their own building or evacuation centres, like schools, temples

From Tan............

Officials at the flood center held another press conference, revising what was interpreted to be an evacuation order for Northern Bangkok. They are now saying they are in the process of repairing the collapsed levee in Pathum Thani and have the situation under control. Residents in the mentioned area, especially around the Thammasat Rangsit area, could see floodwaters up to 1 meter high. Residents in one-storey buildings are urged to evacuate.

I guess it depends on how high your house is above street level, and on how prone you soi is to flooding after heavy rain. I'm in a one-story villa about 1-2 feet above street level.

If it rains heavily tonight here in Don Muang, we could be buggered; if not, fingers crossed

Suggest posters with updates about the water clearly indicate where they are located, so that the rest of us know what is happening.

Here in Nonthaburi near the Mall, nothing happening the Khlong next to the Mall is not that full either, same as the catchment areas on Vibhavadi Rangsit from Vibhavadi Hospital down towards Central Ladprao (passed them at 5pm this evening).