Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

scott1999, I hope you sleep well.

Thanks for those reports. If you could post up, while you are bored at work, on the situation in Khu Bon, my wife and I, would appreciate it. Thanks for soldiering on through the dangerous flood waters.

We would like to go home, but know that it is not possible yet. If Rama II gets flooded, then we are cut off completely out here in Ban Pong.

I heard something on the daily FROC broadcast this evening something about Rama II and the 340 through the west of BKK. Anybody catch that?

There was also something about using the Mae Khlong, the river running through Ratchburi province, for drainage.

as i understand they not have plans to protect those roads because they say its the natural way to sea!!!!

not understand to many of there policy want to pump muang dry and give up the only way going south

as i see they could protect it and still let the water flow if they build some improvisite bridges on key points.

the use of the mae klong is one of ther other useless ideas to manege water.

There is no way they can protect Rama II from flooding.

There is a canal that runs between the Tha Chin and Mae Khlong rivers.

Plenty of room for water in the Mae Khlong, I can tell you. It could take 2 meter extra easy.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for those reports. If you could post up, while you are bored at work, on the situation in Khu Bon, my wife and I, would appreciate it. Thanks for soldiering on through the dangerous flood waters.

We would like to go home, but know that it is not possible yet. If Rama II gets flooded, then we are cut off completely out here in Ban Pong.

I heard something on the daily FROC broadcast this evening something about Rama II and the 340 through the west of BKK. Anybody catch that?

There was also something about using the Mae Khlong, the river running through Ratchburi province, for drainage.

as i understand they not have plans to protect those roads because they say its the natural way to sea!!!!

not understand to many of there policy want to pump muang dry and give up the only way going south

as i see they could protect it and still let the water flow if they build some improvisite bridges on key points.

Plenty of room for water in the Mae Khlong, I can tell you. It could take 2 meter extra easy.

yes it could but water is not running up hill so they need to pump the water up hill it not flood natural to the mae klong

and for protection of the rama II your probely right it was posible if they started 2 a 3 weeks ago

see the elevation map http://bkkbaseface.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/bangkok_elevation_map_medium_resolution.jpg and imagine where its blue they had to protect and made some extra bridges to let the water flow south it was possible

yes it could but water is not running up hill so they need to pump the water up hill it not flood natural to the mae klong

and for protection of the rama II your probely right it was posible if they started 2 a 3 weeks ago

see the elevation map http://bkkbaseface.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/bangkok_elevation_map_medium_resolution.jpg and imagine where its blue they had to protect and made some extra bridges to let the water flow south it was possible

You can see the canal going SW from the Tha Chin river. The Mae Khlong is not on that map.

I do not think that this elevation map shows elevations west of the Tha Chin. Or east of the Bang Pakong.

Lets focus on where it is flooding now thanks, off topic stuff has been removed.

this thread is for FLOOD INFORMATION ONLY.

Please keep it that way with updates on ACTUAL CURRENT INFORMATION rather than speculation, cheers.

Thanks.

They help a lot. Was trying to work out where the water on the Thonburi side might be heading.

Based on these, can expect The Mall Tha Phra down through Bukkhalo along Ratchadapisek Rd to the river are going to cop it.

Was still wondering whether that water North of Phet Kasem near Siam University was still rising and building up?

Any one out in this area?

have done some studyand comparesing on the next 2 maps 1 is the flooded area and the other is a elevation map of bangkok and thil now the water flood goes where the low parts are and they will probely do this till they reach sea

so pick your place and see if your in danger area and for those in north i think how higher your area is the more water will be go down in the next few days.

here in lat phrao 94 still all is dry and i think we keep it that way.

elevation map: http://bkkbaseface.f..._resolution.jpg

flood map: http://maps.google.f...405955,0.727158

I passed the Tha Chin river today, the level was normal.

Sorry for the quality...

http://www.youtube.c...?v=zDtLejwwH98

Mo Chit BTS, Ratchada MRT and Pahonyotin MRT stations. Sat 05 Nov around 3-4pm.

Going again today, will post another video tonight. Curious to see how much more water got there.

http://www.youtube.c...n_order&list=UL

Kind of fixed version.

Yesterday Saturday 05 Nov, 3-4 pm

This is Sunday 06 Nov, 2-4pm. Same locations.

I got flooded out of Phutthamonthon Sai5, about half way between Baromrachachonannee and Phetkasem Road. I set up a live webcam in my window on the 3rd floor before leaving. You can see a lot of boats, and how bad things are. I hope the power stays on and the webcam server stays online for the duration of the flood.

Have a look: http://www.sai5.toms-travels.org/

Mornin all, So far on nut / lad krabang is dry, but if you peep under the drain coovers, you can see the water less than a foot down.

not sure how normal that is, and i'd prefer not to 'speculate'

the map at thaiflood makes it look imminent. but so far its still dry.'

good luck everyone!~

our thoughts are with you all!!

ef

Hi There/.

Has anyone seen a decrease in the water levels? on the West side of Bangkok, we have had the water here in Bangkae since last Tuesday!

any idea when we should see an improvement in the situation? It still keeps rising, very slowly here in last couple of days? why?:whistling:

In Navanokorn still 1.5 meters and has been for the last 3 weeks :bah:

Hi There/.

Has anyone seen a decrease in the water levels? on the West side of Bangkok, we have had the water here in Bangkae since last Tuesday!

any idea when we should see an improvement in the situation? It still keeps rising, very slowly here in last couple of days? why?:whistling:

Drove from Ayutthaya to Lat Krabang this morning, taking 32, Thanon Asia and then Kanchanapisek outer ring road 9 onto Highway 7 to Chonburi/Pattaya exit Rom Klao, Chao Khun Tahaan and finally Chalongkrung Rd to the Industrial Estate (IE)

Highway 32 is definitely passable for Trucks/Pick ups/ SUV and with some lane changes for regular cars as well

The intersection from 32 onto 1 to Highway 9 is still only passable for T/P/SUV

To Highway 1 and on to Bangkok is ok for all traffic 9 as well only for the higher cars..

What amazed me was the still huge surface areas of water left and right from both

32 and 9. As far as I could see from my pick-up, water, water and more water.

No idea how deep but I can imagine with the water still on the roads and highways

usually built slightly higher than the adjacent area’s it must be like 15 cm or deeper

This water still has to go somewhere and is moving slowly

Water level in Ayutthaya has significantly dropped, apart from the river area and unfortunately some of the major Industrial Estates like Rojana, HI Tech and EMS but work is being done at all three at the moment.

Driving the same way from Lat Krabang to Ayutthaya/Nakon Sawan/ Pathumtani/Saraburi is still unsure for me.

Again through traffic on 9 at Ram Intra exit is blocked for a reason I don’t understand. This because at Lam Luk Ka, Nakon Nayok/Rangsit/Khlong Luang and direction Saraburi/Ayutthaya/Bang Pa In I definitely noticed traffic on the roads, again only T/P/SUV

Not sure if they send you of at exit Ram Intra if you can get on again and where…

Anyone have an idea or has driven there???

Friday I took Highway 1 to return to Ayutthaya and that is still a mess, took me 5 hours…

Hi There/.

Water went down a whoping 1cm last night here in Talingchan after stabilizing for the past 8 days. At this rate with over 70 cm in my yard I expect to see what's left of my grass in 6-8 months.

I'm traveling next Wednesday ( 9 November ) to Bangkok for 1 day and will be staying around Silom road close to Sala Deang BTS station.

Does anybody have information about the situation there ?

I don't know yet if I can take a taxi from the airport ( are the roads open ? ) or if I have to take the BTS train.

If the sh*t really hits the fan I can cancel my appointment and stay at the airport hotel and fly out again next day but I have to try to avoid this at any cost if possible.

I read all the replies but most of the districts mentioned don't really ring a bell for me about the actual location and proximity to the Silom area. ( sorry for this but I'm not really familiar with the Bangkok districts and roads.

GM Link I believe the area is dry and MIGHT stay that way through the 9th. Personally, depending on time-of-day (BTS is closed 00:00 to 06:00), fatigue factor and luggage load, I'd take the airport link to end-of-line at Phaya Thai BTS station and then BTS to Sala Daeng from there. Otherwise, there are buses. If you resort to a taxi, be sure to insist that the meter is used - not always possible, because it's a long, one-way trip. On my first (and only) taxi ride from the airport, my driver had to call the hotel for directions and it was just off Sukumvit, Soi 3. Not all taxi drivers really know Bangkok, but those that didn't, have been, in my experience, uncommon exceptions.

It's easy to use Google Maps to trace your route because the BTS rail and stations are clearly marked, as well as the airport line.

I have been using taxis from the airport for years and have never had a problem getting into the inner city. The taxi stands are on the lower level -- there are signs pointing you that way. The drivers using the official stands (not the freelancers upstairs) have to use the meter as long as it is within the Bangkok limits. Trips to Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc. can be a fixed price. To be safe, you should have the hotel's phone number for final directions -- the driver will almost surely know Sala Daeng (that is where Patpong is and every taxi driver should know Patpong). The fare on the meter should be about 400 baht and you will also be responsible for any tolls plus the 50 baht airport surcharge. Coming back to the airport, just use the hotel concierge and they will ensure you get a metered taxi and he knows where you are going. The dispatcher at the taxi stand will also give you a piece of paper with phone numbers if you have any problems. The taxi's license number is posted on the inside of the passenger doors -- if you have problems, copy it down. The other alternative, espcially if you are on business and the company is picking up the tab, is to take use the airport limo service (AOT). there will be an AOT counter just as you exit the customs area. It will run about 1000 baht, but the dispatcher will speak English and ensure the driver knows exactly where he is going.

Water was up to my knees on Lad Prao this morning. Phahon Yothin subway station was open. MRT is still running every other train stopping at Jatujuk instead of Bang Sue and then starting back to Hua Lumphong from Phahon Yothin.

Waders/galoshes/whatever were being sold at Mochit BTS on Saturday. I just assumed that they wouldn't fit my foreigner feet. But, if one was to wear moccasins or thick socks instead of shoes, they might fit. Have any big feet farang tried this?

Dry at Petchburi MRT. It looks like I'm shopping at Tesco Lotus Fortune after "work" and I'll see about Rama IX later .

Overall: our teacher room should be packed and there are five people who have made it in.

Hi There/.

Water went down a whoping 1cm last night here in Talingchan after stabilizing for the past 8 days. At this rate with over 70 cm in my yard I expect to see what's left of my grass in 6-8 months.

Here in Nothaburi / Bang Yai.. Above you guys that is where the water is coming from. We had it stabilize after 8 days too and then dropping first 1 cm and now 2-3 cm a day. Its not going to be fast. In an other 2 days my home will be dry but then there will still be 50cm in the streets. So dont expect it to become dry overnight. It will take weeks.

morning all

left lam luk ka khong 4 at 6,45 am this morning , water down 2 cm so that's 10 cm in 5 days,

on to the number 9 , south to fashion island , come off 9 to ramintra , no water out side fashion island, no water on that part of ramintra,

went down panya intra getting high now , but can still ride my scooter through it, down to pharaysuren that junction is getting bad , but still passable.

then on to pharaysuren to my school, where it was knee high all the way, got to school 8am

when there is no flood the journey takes me 25 mins when flood = 1and 1/4 hours , nice

i will on my way home go to look at khu bon , to see how high it is now,

have a good day people keep safe.

Edited by scott1999

[

This is Sunday 06 Nov, 2-4pm. Same locations.

That is very good news. North of there at Rajayothin, it is draining as it has been since Wednesday. What is most important is which direction the water is going in the Bang Seu canal, if towards the river then, if no more water is added by means of rain, opening of flood gates, pumping of Don Muang Airport etc. Chatuchak northwards is in a stable condition, what you have now is what you keep until the situation stabilizes.

My reasoning is based on the assumption that the there is one great body of water higher than the sea which in normal circumstances would have been drained by the river, and Klongs built for that purpose. The whole body of water is moving, how noticeable the movement is depends on the surface area, in my soi only some two lanes wide it is roaring along at 3 mph. It appears that at Chatuchak the wider area and more routes it can take makes that same volume spread out and move more slowly. There will come a time when the parts South of Chatuchak get it if it Klong Bang Sue can't manage to drain it to the river, when that happens nothing changes for those with water already. If however it drains to the river then we can expect to see an improvement in our conditions and no flooding South of Chatuchak, unless more water is allowed to come down. There will be minor natuaral variations on this pattern, high tides will reduce the slope and slow the flow, which in turn increases the depth but that is all we should expect, Any short term fixes to improve the situation to the North before the system if River and Klongs is working normally would upset this stability, if my reading of the situation is correct.

. These assumptions are based on examining the map; Klongs were built to drain water to the river where it was thought necessary and possible, There are no major Klongs draining Don Meuang District to the river, which I assume is because the water could not have flowed in the desired direction, there is no significant slope. There is a Klong from Rangsit which becomes the Laad Prow canal which flow directly South to meet up with the Bang Seu canal which flows East to West to the river South of Chatuchak. This canal is inadequate so Phahonyothin Wipawadi Roads are now included in the drainage of Rangsit and Don Meuang.

Don Mueang unfortunately can only drain southwards and it is draining even if it appears not to move. The water racing past my soi testifies to that fact. I am trying to rationalize the situation and would appreciate comments on any flaws which you may see in my argument. When we know what is going on we know better what to do.

Thai TV is reporting live that the water has pushed south of Jatujak towards Big C Saphan Kwai, to a level of 20-30cm

Just went and checked (at 1730)Phaholyothin Rd where it crosses Klong Bang Sue.

The water has moved further south on Phaholyothin Rd towards Klong Bang Sue.

At the moment the water is about 50 metres north of the klong in the southbound lanes and the u-turn just north of the klong is maybe 40cm deep so may soon be impassable to small vehicles.

In the northbound lanes the water starts about 60 metres north of the klong and appears to get up to about 40cm deep near the u-turn but in the lanes heading towards Mochit is fairly shallow as far as I could see to the Kamphaeng Phet junction.

South of the klong there is no water on Phaholyothin Rd including the Big C and Saphan Khwai BTS area and I did not see any water coming up from drains.

There is some flooding on the edges of Klong Bang Sue and some water near the temple at the end of Phaholyothin Soi 15 but this does not seem to have increased in the last few hours.

0930 7/11/11

The water has again moved further south on Phaholyothin Rd towards Klong Bang Sue.

At the moment the water is about 20 metres north of the klong in the southbound lanes and near the u-turn just north of the klong is maybe 40cm deep - still just passable to small vehicles which are game to try.

In the northbound lanes the water starts about 30 metres north of the klong and appears to get up to about 40cm deep near the u-turn but in the lanes heading towards Mochit is fairly shallow as far as I could see to the Kamphaeng Phet junction.

South of the klong there is no water on Phaholyothin Rd including the Big C and Saphan Khwai BTS areas and I did not see any water coming up from drains.

There is some flooding on the edges of Klong Bang Sue.

The water near the temple at the end of Phaholyothin Soi 15 has dried up - Klong Bang Sue went down 4cm overnight but has risen 3cm this morning so the flooding there may reoccur.

Drove from Ayutthaya to Lat Krabang this morning, taking 32, Thanon Asia and then Kanchanapisek outer ring road 9 onto Highway 7 to Chonburi/Pattaya exit Rom Klao, Chao Khun Tahaan and finally Chalongkrung Rd to the Industrial Estate (IE)

Highway 32 is definitely passable for Trucks/Pick ups/ SUV and with some lane changes for regular cars as well

The intersection from 32 onto 1 to Highway 9 is still only passable for T/P/SUV

To Highway 1 and on to Bangkok is ok for all traffic 9 as well only for the higher cars..

What amazed me was the still huge surface areas of water left and right from both

32 and 9. As far as I could see from my pick-up, water, water and more water.

No idea how deep but I can imagine with the water still on the roads and highways

usually built slightly higher than the adjacent area's it must be like 15 cm or deeper

This water still has to go somewhere and is moving slowly

Water level in Ayutthaya has significantly dropped, apart from the river area and unfortunately some of the major Industrial Estates like Rojana, HI Tech and EMS but work is being done at all three at the moment.

Driving the same way from Lat Krabang to Ayutthaya/Nakon Sawan/ Pathumtani/Saraburi is still unsure for me.

Again through traffic on 9 at Ram Intra exit is blocked for a reason I don't understand. This because at Lam Luk Ka, Nakon Nayok/Rangsit/Khlong Luang and direction Saraburi/Ayutthaya/Bang Pa In I definitely noticed traffic on the roads, again only T/P/SUV

Not sure if they send you of at exit Ram Intra if you can get on again and where…

Anyone have an idea or has driven there???

Friday I took Highway 1 to return to Ayutthaya and that is still a mess, took me 5 hours…

Good morning Jumbo, thanks for yr great posting rg the driving situation this morning, we are going from Pattaya to Sukothai this Thu with a 4WD Mitsu Triton and a 4WD Fortuner, do you think we can do it the all way 7/9/32?

Thanks for your kind attention

mag&uli from Pattaya

Edited by magmur

What is most important is which direction the water is going in the Bang Seu canal, if towards the river then, if no more water is added by means of rain, opening of flood gates, pumping of Don Muang Airport etc. Chatuchak northwards is in a stable condition, what you have now is what you keep until the situation stabilizes.

The water has been at Mo Chit BTS for a couple of days now, and has not yet climbed the slight hump in the road to the south of Mo Chit where Klong Bang Sue runs under Pahonyothin.

This seems to be the last line of defence for Saphan Kwai, Ari, and eventually Victory Monument.

Edited by RickBradford

morning all

left lam luk ka khong 4 at 6,45 am this morning , water down 2 cm so that's 10 cm in 5 days,

on to the number 9 , south to fashion island , come off 9 to ramintra , no water out side fashion island, no water on that part of ramintra,

went down panya intra getting high now , but can still ride my scooter through it, down to pharaysuren that junction is getting bad , but still passable.

then on to pharaysuren to my school, where it was knee high all the way, got to school 8am

when there is no flood the journey takes me 25 mins when flood = 1and 1/4 hours , nice

i will on my way home go to look at khu bon , to see how high it is now,

have a good day people keep safe.

Thanks Scott, very useful for me (and no doubt others!) - I was wondering how I can get to BKK from Nimitmai Road, since north and south from Hat Thai Mit is no-go. But seems that getting on the 9 highway at Ramindra near Fashion Island will be OK from your report. I would be coming from the east-west road running past Safari World, so I wondered if your school was north of the Panya Indra junction (ie you turned left on to Pharaysuren )?

If you do check out Ku Bon area, that would be great for alot of members, I know some have asked for it - but I was also wondering what the small road is like that runs parallel to 9 and goes down to Fashion Island (ie turn left before going under the 9 bridge down towards Wat Kubon).

Will eagerly await your update after you clock out :-)

Hop u get back home OK!

cheers

Can you