Leaving Thailand With No Possibility To Renew My Retirement Visa Before Leaving

My Retirement Visa will have to be renewed next Year in September

for what Reason ever, I got told by the Immigration in Pattaya, I can NOT anymore renew the Visa 3 Months before the expiring Date, now reduced to 1 Month

I will have to undergo a Surgery in Europe, what will probably require a longer Period in a Rehabilitation Center there - for an obvious Reason, I will wait for the Spring Time in Europe to come to do so

Immigation in Pattaya told me following:

if I will arrive back in Thailand after the Retirement Expiration Date, I should ask for a 30 Day Visa on Arrival at the Airport

Than I should appear at the Immigration Office and they will provide with a new Retirement Visa

I might doubt this Information - therefore I am asking here in this honorable Forum, what should I really be aware of in my Case to get back into my former Retirement Status

Thanks for any and wise Suggestions

Cheers

Edited by DummDays

My understanding is that Jomtien (Chonburi) immigration accepts applications for extension based on retirement as early as TWO MONTHS early without excuse. Not three months, two months. The standard in most Thai immigration is one month early, but some accept earlier with an excuse like proof of travel. As I have RECENT experience with Jomtien allowing a retirement extension TWO MONTHS early, I don't yet believe the OP's report that the rule has changed to ONE month. That THREE months wasn't allowed is not news of a change at all. Of course it is very possible that they can switch to one month early OK from the two month early policy at any time. However, we need to see more reports before knowing for sure.

In the OP's case, yes he can enter on a 30 day stamp and do a change of visa status at Jomtien as the first step of a two step process, with the second step being his extension based on retirement. He could also start with a single entry O from outside Thailand. Why bother when Jomtien will supply the O?

Cheers.

Simply applying for a new non-O visa based on retirement and than extending as usual based on retirement is the best option.

The option provided by immigration is also possible, but without a visa you might run into problems with the airline as they might not allow you to board without a visa or a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

Good point about traveling Mario. If the OP finds it difficult to obtain a single entry O in his home country for whatever reason (some embassies will only accept O-A applications from retirees and won't do a single O), he can enter on a Tourist visa (60 day stay) and do the same change of status at Jomtien.

Also as Mario mentioned, if boarding with no visa, it would be wise to purchase a throwaway one way ticket leaving within 30 days to Malaysia or the cheapest you can get.

If you OP is using the 800K bank account method, the money must be seasoned for two months as I assume this will be seen as a first time application as it's a start over (three months for subsequent ones).

Edited by Jingthing

If you OP is using the 800K bank account method, the money must be seasoned for two months

If the two-step process (conversion and extension)are to be accomplished on the same day.

However, the OP can get off the plane, deposit the 800k, then visit Immigration for the conversion. In this scenario, however, he'll get the conversion -- and a 3-month permission of stay. Then, after 2 months of seasoning, he can return for his retirement extension.

(Presumably, however, the OP already has his financial ducks in order, since his retirement extension routine is in-place, except for a bump to his schedule.)

Simply applying for a new non-O visa based on retirement and than extending as usual based on retirement is the best option.

The option provided by immigration is also possible, but without a visa you might run into problems with the airline as they might not allow you to board without a visa or a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

Mario,

He still has a Thai Visa affixed in his passport. The visa shows no expiration. Wouldn't that visa suffice for the airline?

My non o visa has expired (after 15 months and 4 visa runs) but I departed Thailand well before the 15th month. I don't know if Thailand stamps a non o with some designation related to that visa being invalid or if all non o visas (like mine) still look valid to any baggage taking; boarding pass giving, airline employee. ??

Thanks in advance

P.S.

In my case (non o marriage) can I arrive on the 30 day exempt and within that 30 days go to immigration and show them the letter from my embassy certifing my monthly income and have immigration change my expired multi entry non o to a valid multi entry with 90 day appear in person thang?

Edited by kdc1899

Both my non-imm-o and my acompanying re-entry permit are marked with expiry dates, (1 year after issuance).

Long term retirees typically carry very old visas. They are here on retirement extensions which have an end of stay date, and of course when traveling the reentry permits have an end date as well. So if you are attempting to board before the end date, you are good.

Edited by Jingthing

Long term retirees typically carry very old visas. They are here on retirement extensions which have an end of stay date, and of course when traveling the reentry permits have an end date as well. So if you are attempting to board before the end date, you are good.

To pre-empt any possible misunderstanding, that refers to boarding for a flight to arrive in Thailand before the expiration of the re-entry permit.

:blink:

Wouldn't an exit re-entry permit be the answer here?

Couldn't he just get that permit before he leaves for the U.K. from his local immigration office?

I've never used one myself, but expect to make a short trip to Singapore in December or January, and will get my first exit re-entry permit then before I leave as I am now on retirement extension (visa).

I thought that is what the exit re-entry permit was for, or am I mistaken?

:blink:

A re-entry permit is only valid until your current permitted to stay. It would be of no help at all if return is after that date (as OP is). Only if he renews early will the re-entry permit be useful (actually required). If he can not re-new early (or change travel plans) a new non immigrant visa will be required to apply for a new extension of stay. It would be best to obtain that visa prior to return to avoid any airline problems.

All visas have a use before/by date on them and that is there expiration date. If used before that time they are normally stamped used (if single entry).