Are Any Farangs Helping In Bkk Floods?

thaibeachlovers

Surprising. I see foreigners helping everyday. Just here on TVF, there are some hardcore foreigners fighting tooth and nail to bring change to Thai politics by pointing out how incompetent the current Government is how this is all somehow linked to Taksin and/or this is part of his masterplan for personal enrichment. I see these foreigners blamestorming and coming up with an all in one solution of fixing everything from the economy to the floods by letting Abhisit run the country. Some others are helping by sending hopes and wishes that the floods inundate all the RED villages, because that is what they deserve and by wiping them out Thailand will have a better future.

You and I must roll in different circles, because I see on a daily basis how these foreign keyboard warriors vehemently champion for a better Thailand a quick fix for all their woes.

Saying foreigners do not do anything is simply wrong.

+1 and LOL!

Just my tought.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct to do even volountary work requires and appropriate WP. Given the general Thai arrogance and brainwashing why would they want volunteers anyway ? as any Thai will tell you Thais are experts at almost everything and have totally closed minds to "foreign" ideas. It is all part of the conditioning system to ensure compliance with the feudal system and keeping the influential families here disgustingly rich and the others in their place.

Anyway if anything goes wrong it is never their own fault anyway is it ?

Of course being brainwashed into a non-confrontational and even unwilling to challenge others is the reason why Thailand has stayed still in terms of social responsibility and development.

Fortunately, where I live the locals don't concern themselves with trivial thoughts as these and welcome any help. Red shirts as they are.

What were you doing?

Have been helping FRONTLINE 4x4 (and other groups)deliver relief supplies to remote villages that have been cut off as well as helping to evacuate people from some villages to the highway or to shelters.

I have a Jeep (Photo Attached) and I am always involved in charity in someway here in Thailand and Burma as well as Cambodia and run with many different off road groups.

Dan

post-11184-0-94065600-1318992537_thumb.j

Lots on the net from farangs pointing out that it's against the law to help without one.

A "farang" would not need a work permit if they are a Thai citizen. I think you mean "foreigner" not "farang" as one refers to nationality and the other refers to race.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Been helping a few hours again this morning carrying and placing sandbags near the edge of our village. Do i worry about immigration... :D Thais are not the evil being that are being described.

If this ever came in front of a judge no problem would be made. In this case need is more important then law.

But everyone should decide for themselves if its worth the risk.

Been helping a few hours again this morning carrying and placing sandbags near the edge of our village. Do i worry about immigration... :D Thais are not the evil being that are being described.

If this ever came in front of a judge no problem would be made. In this case need is more important then law.

But everyone should decide for themselves if its worth the risk.

You are so right, wish I could be of help, but stuck in South Africa

I'm also old, fat and out of shape; but while in Nonthaburi came across a sand bag filling operation. I parked, put on some gloves and worked as long as I could. It wasn't too long, but when I finished and donated a little cash too, the guy on the microphone mentioned my work and small donation. Everyone stopped working and gave a big round of applause.

Please do not tell me about Thai's not appreciating help.

And to the guy who talked about people getting in trouble during the Tsunami; I was younger and stronger and worked for months. When it came time to see immigration, I was celebrated and the fees waived.

I have never experienced the Thailand so many of you who are disheartened speak of. But I generally expect the best in Thais and generally find it.

Seeker

Lots on the net from farangs pointing out that it's against the law to help without one.

A "farang" would not need a work permit if they are a Thai citizen. I think you mean "foreigner" not "farang" as one refers to nationality and the other refers to race.

Actually it means westerner. It just so happens that many Thais believe(d) westerners are almost all white. You will hear Thais can also describe somebody as a "black farang" but they will never describe a Thai citizen as farang regardless of the color of this skin. It is a term that clearly relates to not being Thai (being a foreigner) but it is not used to describe all foreigners.

And the vast majority of countries out there consider volunteer work the same as paid work in terms of needing a visa but the chance of getting into trouble while helping out during or immediately after a disaster is near zero.

I'm also old, fat and out of shape; but while in Nonthaburi came across a sand bag filling operation. I parked, put on some gloves and worked as long as I could. It wasn't too long, but when I finished and donated a little cash too, the guy on the microphone mentioned my work and small donation. Everyone stopped working and gave a big round of applause.

And to the guy who talked about people getting in trouble during the Tsunami; I was younger and stronger and worked for months. When it came time to see immigration, I was celebrated and the fees waived.

I have never experienced the Thailand so many of you who are disheartened speak of. But I generally expect the best in Thais and generally find it.

Seeker

"OUTSTANDING" I cannot give enough praise for someone FINALLY speaking up for the people of Thailand and doing what you could to help others. A little bit makes a lot...

I am so sick and tired of these worthless farangs, foreigners or whatever they are classified as bad mouthing and talking Thai people down.

I have been here for 11 years (yes a short period) and I have found that IF you act like a decent person then you will be respected as a Decent person, but if you think because you are not from Thailand you are a better person, then you need to shift wings and fly somewhere else!!

Using an excuse that the Thai Labor law says you cannot help others as it's forbidden etc, is weak and as weak as SH--t in my book.

If you notice I have been with this site for many years but I have very few post and the reason is (What I believe) is that most of you are either lost rich kids, fat undesirables, or scam artist to say the least. If I offend you, then it must be so!

I know some of you guys and gals are very good heartened people, such as Lopburi, George from Thai Visa and a COUPLE others but most of you just stay on the internet and dog others when some are asking for legitimate advice!

I know I will get many slaps for this post but I am not low enough to bow down and respond to them. I am a Retired U.S. Marine and what I can do to help others I will always do, no matter who likes it or not! I believe in Honesty, (Integrity) Setting the example and bearing, etc...

Hope to see the ones scared of violating work permit rules drown! No I really don't, I wish the best for all human beings and I hope you don't need a Thai to save you from the floods! (Maybe they will walk away since farangs are so bad)..

Dan

[email protected]

I love all of you guys and gals but you need to start being part of the country and community you are in..WE as farangs, foreigners etc. can make a positive impact if we go TOGETHER in the right direction.

Take care and wish the best to all of you reading this.

Dan Lanier

post-11184-0-23323000-1319016378_thumb.j

Seeker

:clap2:

Narak mak mak

Seeker

"OUTSTANDING" I cannot give enough praise for someone FINALLY speaking up for the people of Thailand and doing what you could to help others. A little bit makes a lot...

I am so sick and tired of these worthless farangs, foreigners or whatever they are classified as bad mouthing and talking Thai people down.

I have been here for 11 years (yes a short period) and I have found that IF you act like a decent person then you will be respected as a Decent person, but if you think because you are not from Thailand you are a better person, then you need to shift wings and fly somewhere else!!

Using an excuse that the Thai Labor law says you cannot help others as it's forbidden etc, is weak and as weak as SH--t in my book.

If you notice I have been with this site for many years but I have very few post and the reason is (What I believe) is that most of you are either lost rich kids, fat undesirables, or scam artist to say the least. If I offend you, then it must be so!

I know some of you guys and gals are very good heartened people, such as Lopburi, George from Thai Visa and a COUPLE others but most of you just stay on the internet and dog others when some are asking for legitimate advice!

I know I will get many slaps for this post but I am not low enough to bow down and respond to them. I am a Retired U.S. Marine and what I can do to help others I will always do, no matter who likes it or not! I believe in Honesty, (Integrity) Setting the example and bearing, etc...

Hope to see the ones scared of violating work permit rules drown! No I really don't, I wish the best for all human beings and I hope you don't need a Thai to save you from the floods! (Maybe they will walk away since farangs are so bad)..

Dan

[email protected]

I love all of you guys and gals but you need to start being part of the country and community you are in..WE as farangs, foreigners etc. can make a positive impact if we go TOGETHER in the right direction.

Dan Lanier

Dan the man!

Seeker

Dan

[email protected]

Dan Lanier

Dan the man!

If this man can help you all should be ok...555

Semper Fi

post-11184-0-68393000-1319018277_thumb.j

Really... I thought one was English and the other Thai?

I'm not allowed to work in Thailand. I might be taking employment away form a Thai.

What a sad situation to be in!

Question should be: What can I do for Thailand? I am an expert in this field so I have the ability to teach others. etc...

You sound like a loser from get go!

Wake up and let others KNOW what you CAN DO, vice hiding and worrying about what you cannot do!

Dan

As long as you are being more of a help than a hindrance, I don't think there is an official in Thailand that would write you up on having no work permit for helping out in what is an humanitarian crisis!

Go there with the 'know-it-all' attitude previously mentioned, then it could be used as an excuse to get rid of you..

come on guys, save the Farang Definition Debate for another day or if you must please see that little box on the top right of the page that say search (make sure to use the drop down and select all forum and not just this topic).

When you do this you will be redirected to 217 topics since 1990 that discussed this issue over and over and over and yes over again.

:lol:

I don't expect my work permit as a 'computer engineer' covers me for filling sandbags. However the monks at Wat Thua Thong were not checking paperwork, sadly the work was for naught as somebody else's flood wall failed so our nice sandbags have water both sides :(

come on guys, save the Farang Definition Debate for another day or if you must please see that little box on the top right of the page that say search (make sure to use the drop down and select all forum and not just this topic).

When you do this you will be redirected to 217 topics since 1990 that discussed this issue over and over and over and yes over again.

:lol:

Thanks bkkjames....

So many slaggers here... to the OP, yes there are farang volunteers for many causes... tsunami, soi cats/dogs spay/neuter/healthcare, floods upcountry, now maybe in BKK. don't be put off by the naysayers... imagine being pulled out of a sandbag line and arrested - GET REAL!

if youre so moved...Just Do It! Many of these efforts are citizen-initiated so hook up with a group or Just Do It on your own. Here are some pix of us boating supplies to a stranded village in Lopburi a few weeks back.

post-111479-0-03159200-1319024600_thumb.

post-111479-0-16493800-1319024720_thumb.

post-111479-0-73003800-1319024775_thumb.

Actually it means westerner. It just so happens that many Thais believe(d) westerners are almost all white. You will hear Thais can also describe somebody as a "black farang" but they will never describe a Thai citizen as farang regardless of the color of this skin. It is a term that clearly relates to not being Thai (being a foreigner) but it is not used to describe all foreigners.

And the vast majority of countries out there consider volunteer work the same as paid work in terms of needing a visa but the chance of getting into trouble while helping out during or immediately after a disaster is near zero.

I'm quite sure it means white people; at least thats how its used. I know plenty of Indians who grew up their whole lives in the US and are definitely not falang to Thais, they are khaek or In-dee-ah. I've never heard a black person referred to as a "farang" either.

imagine being pulled out of a sandbag line and arrested - GET REAL!

not difficult at all to imagine that, in my view

if the authorities were interested in assistance from foreigners they could publicly announce (TV, newspapers, radio etc)

that any assistance would be welcome and for the time being WP will not be required

imagine being pulled out of a sandbag line and arrested - GET REAL!

not difficult at all to imagine that, in my view

if the authorities were interested in assistance from foreigners they could publicly announce (TV, newspapers, radio etc)

that any assistance would be welcome and for the time being WP will not be required

Melvin, that's exactly how I feel.

Sadly to say, I doubt that that's going to happen.

I took a trek up to the immigration office to get the information from the "horses mouth", but when I asked about getting a temporary permit to go and volunteer, the official just looked puzzled, and asked why I would want to go and help. I didn't expect a medal, but I did expect at least a modicum of interest that I would want to help Thais in need. So I asked if they wanted farangs to go and help, and she said NO!

Now I know that's probably just her personal attiude, but it does go to prove that OFFICIALLY no one has even thought about getting farangs living in Thailand involved.

Ironically, when I asked the official about helping, we were standing right next to a big box asking for donations to help the flood victims.

Doesn't mean that I won't go down, and look for some opportunity to help in some way, but certainly takes some of the enthusiasm away.

I'm quite sure it means white people; at least thats how its used. I know plenty of Indians who grew up their whole lives in the US and are definitely not falang to Thais, they are khaek or In-dee-ah. I've never heard a black person referred to as a "farang" either.

I've always understood that originally it was used to describe the French, and later, as other white races arrived was extended to them as well.

A bit petty, aren't we?

Farang Dum is a term I have heard

Seeker

:clap2:

:thumbsup:

Narak mak mak

Can always support through monetary aid or donate food items. Personally I have a young child so can't go running around filling up sand bags but have donated food and things for children. When you see there are little kids being affected by the floods it' s heartbreaking.

has the Thai law against "volunteering" without a work permit come back to bite them?

If so, good. Maybe they'll realise that it's a stupid law. Untill they change the law, let them deal with their problems, it's their country.

A very small part of it is (indirectly through my wife and son) my country.

In times like this I really don't think anything would happen especially if you were on TV3 or another channel.

The law sir, is a ass to quote Mr Bumble from Oliver Twist, but in times like this blind eyes are usually turned.

I would think that the people you would be with would think much more of farangs even for a short time like this.

I would like to help out but at 67, fat with shot out knee caps plus living 400 km from Bangkok would make me more of a liability than an asset.

There's other ways you can help if you're really inclined..