Drinking Water Supply In Bangkok

ukrules

I've noticed that stores have been selling out of drinking water since last week. 7/11, the local mom/pop style store and a Family Mart have had nothing much for days now. The family mart only had soft drinks for sale, no water at all.

Are the supply lines into Bangkok closed down due to the flooding ?

Where are the drinking water plants located I wonder ?

Did you never buy yourself a water purifier. I thank god that i got one now im the disaster area. It will help me for sure. They aren't that expensive either.

I just buy bottled water as I like to keep it refrigerated.

Did you never buy yourself a water purifier. I thank god that i got one now im the disaster area. It will help me for sure. They aren't that expensive either.

I put the bottles in te refrigerator (after filling), but now i just fill my water cooler with that water so i always got cool water. In the long run one of these machines is worth it (even if only that you dont have to carry those bottles all the time.)

I put the bottles in te refrigerator (after filling), but now i just fill my water cooler with that water so i always got cool water. In the long run one of these machines is worth it (even if only that you dont have to carry those bottles all the time.)

whats the water taste like from them water purifier things?

I live next to a small water factory so not so worried.. they were still working at 10pm. so some of the smaller places are trying to get the water out.

They are getting supplies near me but people are stocking up so they run out every day. Just went to 7-11 and they were almost completely out of water, bread, baked goods, ham, hot dogs, instant noodles, and microwave meals.

Edited by DP25

A lot of water being bought up to supply the evacuees.. Much of it not even reaching the shelves and there are so many stores already out of stock it will be a monumental task to restock once the time comes anyways..

Just boil your faucet water and if it makes you feel safer buy some bleach (better if not scented) and put in about a capful per 2 liters or until you slightly smell the bleach scent and you'll be just fine. You can boil the water after you put in the bleach and it will evaporate much of the bleach taste but it will have already done it's job of sanitizing your water along with the boiling effect..

JFYI We had a demo of the Am Way water purifier recently and it was quite impressive so if anyone is interested I can put you in contact with them..

Edited by WarpSpeed

as to water supply in bangkok, authorities might be shutting down temporarily pumping water, as not to contaminate equipment and pipes with the water coming from floods.

there is a major water plant and pumping station for the west part of the town at bang kruai and they have warned of problems.

so store as much as possible water not only for drinking, but sanitation, washing etc at any possible container. Water from rain can be used as well

Water purifiers are great. But if the flooding interrupts the electrical supply, they can't pump the water to you to purify.

I'm stocked up on bottled water for about a week. Enough tuna and crackers for 10 days. I'm not counting on anything in the refrigerator lasting beyond 2 days if the electricity goes out.

I hope I won't need it, but....

Water purifiers are great. But if the flooding interrupts the electrical supply, they can't pump the water to you to purify.

I'm stocked up on bottled water for about a week.

Me too, I'd hate to have to drink beer all day to stay hydrated.

To those who will inevitably reply to this saying that alcohol will dehydrate me I'd like to point out that beer at such a low percentage of alcohol by volume has a 'net gain' affect on hydration despite what you might have heard to the contrary.

http://www.thailandstories.com/article/humor/fiction/bangkok-tap-water-cleanest-in-the-world-says-eu-think-tank.html

*As part of an EU commission studying living standards around the world Bangkok emerged as having the cleanest, least polluted tap water in the world.

Measured where ? Complete horseshit of course.

Seriously though I heard that the WHO did say that Thai tap water is pretty good when it leaves the plants, it's the pipework that might cause any issues. They relaid all the main water pipe supplies recently in Sukhumvit Soi 23 where I live.

Edited by ukrules

I'm stocked up on bottled water for about a week. Enough tuna and crackers for 10 days. I'm not counting on anything in the refrigerator lasting beyond 2 days if the electricity goes out.

I hope I won't need it, but....

True, that is why i take water out of the purifier and stock it up in emergencies like this.

I dont taste anything funny from the purifier. Must say its great now we are cut off. (water is now rising slowly in the village. I really hope those idiots in Bangkok take some of the water holding it here is completely unfair.

In my area (Ekkamai) they were out of supplies (water, dried food) last week. This week is fine.

I guess everyone already has their stockpile ready and they now are back to buying on a day-to-day basis.

Drinking Water Supply In Bangkok

Good point. Never drink your water from the tap.

Here is what you do, if you have to get your water from the tap.

Otherwise you can find bottled water outside places like TESCO / LOTUS Rama 4. Or other shopping centers.

This is what I received from Washington Dept. of Health’s website:

Storing water safely

· Store one gallon of water per person per day.

· Store at least a three-day supply of water per person.

· Collect the water from a safe supply.

· Thoroughly washed plastic containers such as soft drink bottles are best. You can also purchase food-grade plastic buckets or drums.

· Seal water containers tightly, label with date, and store in a cool, dark place.

· Replace water every six months.

· Never reuse a container that contained toxic materials such as pesticides, solvents, chemicals, oil or antifreeze.

Water purification

There are two primary ways to treat water: boiling and adding bleach. If tap water is unsafe because of water contamination (from floods, streams or lakes), boiling is the best method.

· Cloudy water should be filtered before boiling or adding bleach.

· Filter water using coffee filters, paper towels, cheese cloth or a cotton plug in a funnel.

Boiling

· Boiling is the safest way to purify water.

· Bring the water to a rolling boil for one minute.

· Let the water cool before drinking.

Purifying by adding liquid chlorine bleach

· If boiling is not possible, treat water by adding liquid household bleach, such as Clorox or Purex. Household bleach is typically between 5 percent and 6 percent chlorine. Avoid using bleaches that contain perfumes, dyes and other additives. Be sure to read the label.

· Place the water (filtered, if necessary) in a clean container. Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.

· Mix thoroughly and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before using (60 minutes if the water is cloudy or very cold).

Also, be careful about drinking draft beer or getting liquor from the pub. Often tap water is added to it.

what about the Brita water filters you see in the USA ?

http://www.amazon.co...19130869&sr=8-2

I might bring a couple over next month if you think they are any good

I use a PUR system from the States... They're supposed to be somewhat better than Brita in terms of removing stuff.... But probably not much difference...

I run all my BKK home tap water thru the PUR filter dispenser.... and then boil that in a large electric water boiler....before dispensing to cool and ultimately refrigerate.

Those type of filters are supposed to be good for regular tap water... But they're not really intended for water that's really contaminated with sewage or god knows what else.... I mean, they'd probably help, but not get rid of everything or enough.... And you really don't want to get sick in such a time.

If I were to end up in that kind of major flooding situation, I'd probably go the bleach treatment approach... then boil using either the electric kettle or gas stove... and then run through the filter system as a last, final step.

BTW, for those who don't know, the PUR and Brita water systems we're talking about don't require any AC power... just work by gravity of pouring the original water into a pitcher or basin and letting it drip down to the dispensing container. So fine to use even should the power go out.

I've never seen any PUR products here in Thailand. But I did some time back notice an end cap display of Brita filters and pitchers in the household supplies section of the market on the ground floor of Central Chidlom.

For the PUR systems from the U.S., once you buy the pitcher or dispenser for $15 to $30 depending on the size, the filters for it are the only ongoing expense. Each filter lasts about two months and a box of 4 sells for $15 to $20 and is small in size, not heavy and easily shipped here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

http://www.thailandstories.com/article/humor/fiction/bangkok-tap-water-cleanest-in-the-world-says-eu-think-tank.html

*As part of an EU commission studying living standards around the world Bangkok emerged as having the cleanest, least polluted tap water in the world.

Measured where ? Complete horseshit of course.

Seriously though I heard that the WHO did say that Thai tap water is pretty good when it leaves the plants, it's the pipework that might cause any issues. They relaid all the main water pipe supplies recently in Sukhumvit Soi 23 where I live.

Man! You aren't kidding! Especially with the low pressure and the shut offs all the time (not so much recently) there is just no way!

What kind of Propane camp stoves are used in Thailand ?

its hard to boil water without electric or gas ?

If small propane bottles like used on Coleman camp stoves were available in BKK then I would bring a couple of those over next month for friends......

these are the normal USA propane bottles , same as used on small torches

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-Cylinders-304183-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B001B9FJSM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319138652&sr=8-2

In Europe they use the blue Camping Gaz cylinders which will not work on a USA Coleman campstove, ( I tried )

BK

Think the opposite of Perrier and other great tasting waters.

The local Family Marts in Hua Kwang area has been sold out on bottled water for two days now, i went to Big C and Tops Supermarket in Ratchada/Cultural Center aswell, same situation there.

Have stocked up with Juice, Coke, Fanta and Sprite, Milk, Soy Milk instead.

:bah:

I personally have two 25L drinking water barrels, which I use at a water machine for about 0.70 baht a liter. It's the next best thing to having a UV water filter fitted on the sink, which sometimes can't be done at certain condos etc.

The UV won't work if there is no electric and it won't kill the bacteria if no water, so fill up a 15+ litre as a backup.

Think the opposite of Perrier and other great tasting waters.

The local Family Marts in Hua Kwang area has been sold out on bottled water for two days now, i went to Big C and Tops Supermarket in Ratchada/Cultural Center aswell, same situation there.

Have stocked up with Juice, Coke, Fanta and Sprite, Milk, Soy Milk instead.

:bah:

I was at Tesco in Phra Ram 9 last night and managed to get the last toilet tissue they had, there is no water or dried food there also. Same for Big C Ladprao left from the Ratchada - Ladprao section.

Edited by ThreeProperty

The key is to think through the Political Economy of Panic.

The housewife-- the key figure in the panic narrative-- must make the decisive decision to 'shop' in a crisis. She will then head to the shops. These are the shops that narrate as part of the shopping trip.

So the key to finding water at 7/11s was to head to the ones off these narratives of shopping trips. The 7/11 near me was empty of water, the 7/11 in the university campus was stacked with even the large bottles of water and vast quantities of mama noodles.