Crumpets - Anywhere?

sierra01

Filched from the Chiang Mai forum, p1p's recipe, i will be testing this as soon as I get back from shitty Manila.

===========================

Crumpet Recipe.

Ingredients

350 g plain flour 1 tsp yeast

½ tsp sugar 300 ml warm water

about 200 ml milk 1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp. Salt oil for greasing

Put the water and sugar in a bowl then whisk in the yeast. Gradually add half the flour, whisking constantly until you have a smooth batter. Cover with a damp cloth and leave until frothy, about 20 minutes.

Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients, beating until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make a pouring batter.

Grease a griddle or heavy shallow frying pan, and about six pastry/crumpet rings.

Heat the griddle or pan thoroughly over a medium heat. Place the rings on the griddle and allow them to heat up before you and pour about 2 tablespoons of batter into each of the rings. Cook until set and holes have formed on the surface of the crumpet, before you remove the rings, turn the crumpets over to lightly brown on the other side.

Temperature control is important. Too hot and you will burn the bottom before the top has set.

When cooked, set aside to cool on wire racks.

To serve. Toast lightly and serve drenched in butter./ with jam and clotted cream/ smoked salmon and sour cream/tomato and melting cheese/ Mmmmmmm…….

(The Bicarbonate of Soda is optional. I find it helps here, because the yeast is not always totally up to scratch.)

Filched from the Chiang Mai forum, p1p's recipe, i will be testing this as soon as I get back from shitty Manila.

===========================

Crumpet Recipe.

Ingredients

350 g plain flour 1 tsp yeast

½ tsp sugar 300 ml warm water

about 200 ml milk 1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp. Salt oil for greasing

Put the water and sugar in a bowl then whisk in the yeast. Gradually add half the flour, whisking constantly until you have a smooth batter. Cover with a damp cloth and leave until frothy, about 20 minutes.

Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients, beating until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make a pouring batter.

Grease a griddle or heavy shallow frying pan, and about six pastry/crumpet rings.

Heat the griddle or pan thoroughly over a medium heat. Place the rings on the griddle and allow them to heat up before you and pour about 2 tablespoons of batter into each of the rings. Cook until set and holes have formed on the surface of the crumpet, before you remove the rings, turn the crumpets over to lightly brown on the other side.

Temperature control is important. Too hot and you will burn the bottom before the top has set.

When cooked, set aside to cool on wire racks.

To serve. Toast lightly and serve drenched in butter./ with jam and clotted cream/ smoked salmon and sour cream/tomato and melting cheese/ Mmmmmmm…….

(The Bicarbonate of Soda is optional. I find it helps here, because the yeast is not always totally up to scratch.)

STOP IT!!!!! You're making me hungry, and it's only just after lunchtime :o:D

Looks like I've started something here! As much as I like living here I still miss some of the comforts of home; Crumpets, Cadbury's chocolate that actually melts, Maynards wine gums (not the disgusting things they sell in M&S), decent baked beans, meringue and fresh cream. Anyone want to add to the list?

Just discovered this thread.

Glad you found my crumpet recipe, was about to re-post it.

Please let me know how you get on with it, they are really very easy to make. All you need is a frying pan.

This post has given me the urge to make some now....

Usually I buy the Heinz English recipe beked beans in Penang, and they're good. Now I have a non im B visa so no more visa runs, and no more 'English recipe' beans. I usually bring back 10 tins and strictly ration myself, I have 4 tins left. I'll give the Heinz veggie beans a try, I just can't stomach the Thai brands, too sweet.

...Anyone want to add to the list?

Here we go again:

Branston Pickle, Marmite, Crumpets, Oxford Landing Aussie Shiraz, Boags Export lager, Shreddies breakfast cereal, PG Tips pyramid tea bags, Farrows Marrowfat Peas, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie, Cadbury's Cream Eggs, Tunnock's Caramel Wafers, Sarson's Vinegar, Pickled beetroot, Twiglets, Beef flavoured crisps, Stone's Ginger Wine.

I love it listening to you lot. In my shop I sell Heinz baked beans,Marmite, Bovril, OXO cubes, Bisto powder, Birds custard,Tetleys tea bags, Yorkshire tea bags, Yorkshire Gold Tea bags,Brooke Bond tea bags,Bovril, Bovril stock cubes, Oxo gravy granules,Spaghetti hoops,Sainsbury's and Tesco mint sauce,Branston pickle (4 sorts, 3 sizes)Colemans mustard tubes,Paxo stuffing, white beans, and a few other things that you never thought existed here. Where is my shop? In the wilds of distant Isaan, that's where.

I love it listening to you lot. In my shop I sell Heinz baked beans,Marmite, Bovril, OXO cubes, Bisto powder, Birds custard,Tetleys tea bags, Yorkshire tea bags, Yorkshire Gold Tea bags,Brooke Bond tea bags,Bovril, Bovril stock cubes, Oxo gravy granules,Spaghetti hoops,Sainsbury's and Tesco mint sauce,Branston pickle (4 sorts, 3 sizes)Colemans mustard tubes,Paxo stuffing, white beans, and a few other things that you never thought existed here. Where is my shop? In the wilds of distant Isaan, that's where.

What? No Crumpets, Shreddies, Farrows Marrowfat Peas, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie, Cadbury's Cream Eggs, Tunnock's Caramel Wafers, Sarson's Vinegar, Pickled beetroot, Twiglets, Beef flavoured crisps, Stone's Ginger Wine?

Hah!

Where's your shop again?

Farrows Marrowfat Peas, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie,  Pickled beetroot,

Hah!

Where's your shop again?

Yes to the above mentioned, although the Fray Bentos was for my own consumption. I make my own Pickled spicy beetroot, as well as pickled onions,and spicy pickled onions. Got loads of marrowfat peas now, but I normally use them for my own mushy peas to go with my Atlantic Cod and Chips in the pub.OOdles of Marmite, and of course Vegamite(UGRH)

...Anyone want to add to the list?

Here we go again:

Branston Pickle, Marmite, Crumpets, Oxford Landing Aussie Shiraz, Boags Export lager, Shreddies breakfast cereal, PG Tips pyramid tea bags, Farrows Marrowfat Peas, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie, Cadbury's Cream Eggs, Tunnock's Caramel Wafers, Sarson's Vinegar, Pickled beetroot, Twiglets, Beef flavoured crisps, Stone's Ginger Wine.

Oooh RDN, you sound like my kind of guy :D Although you can keep your Steak and Kidney Pie :o i would just have extra Marrowfat Peas !

Yes to the above mentioned, although the Fray Bentos was for my own consumption. I make my own Pickled spicy beetroot, as well as pickled onions,and spicy pickled onions. Got loads of marrowfat peas now, but I normally use them for my own mushy peas to go with my Atlantic Cod and Chips in the pub.OOdles of Marmite, and of course Vegamite(UGRH)

Seriously Lampy, have you thought of doing business by post? Customer spays all shipping charges, pays for the 22 baht post office box, etc. Maybe you do already? Don't you have a web site? Could be a nice little earner if all the TV expats started buying your stuff. :o

I've just seen S&W baked beans, anyone had them before?  64bt.  Heinz Veggie beans 72bt, Carrefour, Chaeng Wattana road

They're the ones I buy - closest to UK's Heinz Baked Beans that I've found. :o

Ayam (yellow and red tin) brand of beans are a good substitute for Heinz.......... only 28 baht for big tin , 18 baht for small one. Carrefour stock them here in Pattaya as do Friendship and Foodland, dont know about your neck of the woods though.