Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

Thai PM to ask Bangkok to open all floodgates

Thai PM warns Bangkok to brace for flooding

by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, October 20, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's premier warned Thursday that it was impossible to stop the kingdom's worst floods in decades gushing into Bangkok, ordering the city's sluice gates to be opened to tackle the "national crisis".

"We cannot block the water forever," a sombre-looking Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of fugitive former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, told reporters, in the biggest test so far of her fledgling administration.

"The longer we block the water the higher it gets. We need areas that water can be drained through so the water can flow out to the sea," added Yingluck, who in recent days has appeared to be showing signs of strain.

"I have decided to ask Bangkok to open all gates, which could trigger an overflow, in order to drain water into the sea as soon as possible," she said.

The prospect of serious flooding in the capital triggered a new rush to stock up on food and bottled water, while motorists parked hundreds of cars on bridges or elevated roads, prompting a police warning to move them.

Bangkok has so far escaped major flooding after the authorities reinforced floodwalls and diverted water to areas outside the capital to protect the country's political and economic heartland.

But a massive volume of run-off water is expected to reach the city by the weekend. It is hoped the water will run through Bangkok's many canals and out into the sea, but if there is too much water the waterways will overflow.

"Flood waters are coming from every direction and we cannot control them because it's a huge amount of water. We will try to warn people," said Yingluck, a political novice before taking office barely two months ago.

"This problem is very overwhelming. It's a national crisis so I hope to get cooperation from everybody."

Three months of heavy monsoon rains in Thailand have killed 320 people, damaged the homes and livelihoods of millions of people, mostly in the north and centre, and forced tens of thousands to seek refuge in shelters.

Currently, about one-third of Thailand's provinces are affected.

The opposition Democrats are calling on the government to declare a state of emergency to make it easier to control people and stop them damaging dykes to ease the flooding in their own areas.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra warned on Wednesday that seven districts in northern and eastern Bangkok were at risk of inundation because of a broken dyke.

He advised residents in those areas to unplug electrical appliances, move belongings to higher ground and study the city's evacuation plan, saying they had 24 hours to prepare for possible flooding.

"We are aware that floodwater is likely to pass through eastern parts of Bangkok," said Bangkok Metropolitan Administration spokesman Jate Sopitpongsthorn.

He said the runoff water was expected to reach Rangsit canal on the northern edge of the city overnight Thursday-Friday.

Bangkok has an extensive drainage system including 200 floodgates, 158 pump stations, seven giant underground tunnels and 1,682 canals covering 2,604 kilometres (1,618 miles), according to the city authorities.

Tens of thousands of soldiers and police have been mobilised to prevent people destroying flood defences.

The authorities have failed to protect a number of major industrial parks from the gushing brown water, which has inundated hundreds of factories outside Bangkok, disrupting production of cars, electronics and other goods.

The government says more than half a million people have been left without work.

Most of Thailand's main tourist attractions -- including the southern islands of Samui, Phuket and Phi Phi -- have been unaffected.

Bangkok's main airport is still operating as normal and its flood defences have been reinforced.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-20

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ask or order? Either way,please can she explain the logic behind this?

There's no logic behind it unless she wants to see where the water will overflow which is not really clear apparently.

After opening they can close those gates again right?

The water has to go ! they have to help the water to go, to open the way , to make in emergency new canals using explosives if necessary to help the water to avoid important and critical areas.

The water has to leave, it's not good to block the water, the water level rises because it can't leave. Help the water to leave using non urban and non industrial areas, open ways to make it flow to the sea!

"The longer we block the water the higher it gets[/b]," she said. "We need areas that water can be drained through so the water can flow out to the sea."

I can not believe the PM or any PM would come out with a statement like this at this point in the game.God help Bangkok and all who sail in her!

Flood waters to affect Bangkok's north tomorrow

The Nation

30168124-01.jpg

It is estimated that the floodwater in Klong Rangsit will enter Klong Hok Wa in northern Bangkok's Sai Mai district tonight and affect Bangkok tomorrow, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said Thursday.

However, he asked Bangkokians not to panic, as this will not increase the at-risk areas from the seven districts announced yesterday.

Bangkok has told seven districts in the Thai capital to be on alert for the approaching northern flood run-off, and advised residents of Sai Mai, Klong Samwa, Bang Khen, Nong Chok, Min Buri, Lat Krabang, Kannayao districts to move their valuable possessions to upper floors.

The governor also asked the government to help save other vulnerable areas located outside his authority, saying Bangkok is working to pump water from the overflowing Klong Prapa, which caused flooding on some roads in the Chang Wattana, Ngamwongwan and Prachachuen areas early Thursday. The floodwater in Klong Prapa arrived from Pathum Thani.

The Klong Prapa overflow has now receded and Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, who directs the flood relief operation centre, said the water situation in the canal was under control.

Meanwhile, ACM Sumet Photimanee, chairman of Airports of Thailand (AoT), on Thursday expressed confidence that Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports were well-prepared to prevent floodwater from intruding into their respective compounds.

Currently, Suvarnabhumi Airport has a 3.5 metre-high flood prevention wall but the chairman explained that he was still worried about areas north of Don Mueang Airport that may yet be subject to larger amounts of northern run-off.

To brace for the possibility of full-scale flooding, Don Mueang Airport authorities built an additional temporary embankment with some 10,000 sandbags.

For Suvarnabhumi Airport, AoT has prepared a contingency plan to cope with the possible flood situation. The plan is ready to put into effect if and when the situation warrants. Airlines and business operators as well as related agencies have been notified about the plan, including an option to move facilities and aircraft to operate at Chon Buri's U-Tapao Airport and other airports.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-20

Has a city the size of Bangkok ever been flooded before? I hope the powers that be know what they're doing.

Bangkok has been flooded by much smaller amounts of water before .... I've seen a meter of water on Silom and Rama IV roads. But that was a flash flood situation that drained in a couple of days. This is a deluge that will last too long.

Bangkok is a BIG city with .. 15 -20 million people. There isn't enough food and (potable) water.

Edited by rogerdee123

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Yingluck and the current administration are like cornered animals and will indeed take anyone and any thing they could down with them.

All the hallmarks of Yinglucks Big Brothers tactics all over again.

Edited by siampolee

When there is no better solution, this is probably the best. There will be good and bad results from this move. It will discharge the flood quicker, levels will be lower and there will be no mass evacuation. The bad part is that everyone will be affected. There will be no special considerations for ANYONE. Most of all, an excellent negotiator will be needed to neutralise the citizens severely affected and people who lost their livelihood from the start.

The water has to go ! they have to help the water to go, to open the way , to make in emergency new canals using explosives if necessary to help the water to avoid important and critical areas.

The water has to leave, it's not good to block the water, the water level rises because it can't leave. Help the water to leave using non urban and non industrial areas, open ways to make it flow to the sea!

I hope they do it when the tide is out!

To brace for the possibility of full-scale flooding, Don Mueang Airport authorities built an additional temporary embankment with some 10,000 sandbags.

Yup 10.000 sand bags later and Don Mueang Airport ready to deal with the worst flooding in 50 years.

Thats planning ahead of time.

Ok humor away, 10.000 sand bags vs millions of cubic meters of water...

Edited by peterdk

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

I doubt it will be a full release of water that will cause deep flooding. It's probably a slight opening of the gates to relieve the pressure build up,especially considering that there is still more water coming down from the North. A lot of klongs in inner Bangkok is still quite low and I guess this decision is being taken as flooding will at least be controllable and manageable. It won't be so bad to have about 10 cm or so of water as damage can then be limited.

Has a city the size of Bangkok ever been flooded before? I hope the powers that be know what they're doing.

Bangkok has been flooded by much smaller amounts of water before .... I've seen a meter of water on Silom and Rama IV roads. But that was a flash flood situation that drained in a couple of days. This is a deluge that will last too long.

Bangkok is a BIG city with .. 15 -20 million people. There isn't enough food and (potable) water.

From Wikipedia:

Bangkok has an official population of 9,100,000 residents, while the greater Bangkok area contains some 11,971,000 (January 2008).[4]

Certainly at least 8 million short of the 20 million you are estimating. Only about the 50th biggest city in the world.

Great news, finally this should have done earlier. I hope it will ease the pressure where i am. We are about to flood. The streets in the village are flooded.

If they dont do this the water will build up and Bangkok will be flooded anyway.