• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Govt: Situation of Prapa Canal under control

October 20, 2011 4:06 am

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, head of the Flood Relief Operations Centre, declared Thursday that the situation of Prapa Canal has been under control.

Pracha also allayed public fear that the water for making tab water had been contaminated by floodwaters. He said the quality of tab water would not be affected.

Late Wednesday night, floodwaters penetrated a dyed to enter the Prapa Canal, whose water is use for making editable water, causing the water on the Prapa Canal to overflow its banks at certain spots.

Pracha told a press conference that the level of water on the Prapa Canal has been reduced to prevent it from overflowing the embankments.

The Nation

I guess he means literally that it has been under control but isn't any more. Who can trust this baffoon with a background as a Thai cop?

Edited by Arkady

_56056460_bangkok_floods_464map.gifJust for your info, here's a pic

post-120902-0-94432300-1319103427_thumb.

We've seen lots of these small scale maps with arrows all over them in the press and on Thai TV explaining nothing. What does this mean? Was is produced before the PM's decision to open all the flood gates?

Can somebody provide an updated map? I just wanna know where I stand. I'm next to the Emporium btw.

We've seen lots of these small scale maps with arrows all over them in the press and on Thai TV explaining nothing. What does this mean? Was is produced before the PM's decision to open all the flood gates?

Can somebody provide an updated map? I just wanna know where I stand. I'm next to the Emporium btw.

http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/thailand-flood-2011.html

Has a city the size of Bangkok ever been flooded before? I hope the powers that be know what they're doing.

Bangkok has been flooded by much smaller amounts of water before .... I've seen a meter of water on Silom and Rama IV roads. But that was a flash flood situation that drained in a couple of days. This is a deluge that will last too long.

Bangkok is a BIG city with .. 15 -20 million people. There isn't enough food and (potable) water.

From Wikipedia:

Bangkok has an official population of 9,100,000 residents, while the greater Bangkok area contains some 11,971,000 (January 2008).[4]

Certainly at least 8 million short of the 20 million you are estimating. Only about the 50th biggest city in the world.

Actually, most working class people in Bangkok (or anywhere else for that matter) are still registered at their home town. To be registered as a resident anywhere, you must be in the blue book, which means you have to either own the house/apartment or are a family member of the one who owns it. People who rent are never added to the blue book, and therefor are not residents officially....

It looks like it's showing water being directed *around* Bangkok, so I think the answer to your last question is "Yes".

Easy to be smart ass in hindsight, give her a break she's only been in charge two months, did you predict the flooding would get this bad smart ass

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

You just answered your own question.

Huh?

"where I stand" "next to the Emporium"

get it?

Exactly. How do you want to block all this water? With a few sand bags?????...

They have to find ways where it can go, as fast as possible, so it will not raise too much. At the same time, they have to protect critical areas like electrical power plants etc...

I wish I have a real time satellite view of all this.

They have to find ways where it can go, as fast as possible, so it will not raise too much. At the same time, they have to protect critical areas like electrical power plants etc...

Blocking it leads to flooding. Eventually it will gain strength and your dams will break (they are not that strong here).

I am in a flooded village a bit outside of BKK and it would be good for me if Bangkok started to let water flow. Its either letting it flow controlled like Yingluk wants to do now or wait until something bursts.

I have read that the canals are there for localised rainfall and that the levels have gone down the last few days so as long as it doesn't rain it is a good idea to fill the canals then shut the gates. Seems practical except if you look at the latest weather radar for Bangkok there is a large amount of rain 30 mins away. http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/svp120Loop.php.

Easy to be smart ass in hindsight, give her a break she's only been in charge two months, did you predict the flooding would get this bad smart ass

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

u

Its the pathetically disorganised response to the crisis she's copping stick for. She got the job because of nepotism, not merit. Now her incompetence is on display.

:rolleyes:

All I'll say is my Thai family has been watching the news all day.

And they just started constructing a rack that must be a meter high to store stuff on which they bought this morning from Home Depot.

The news is all in Thai but I caught a few bits about 80 centimeters.

I can tell they're getting nervous.

I'm here on Ladprakhao Road...but a long way from the nearest Klong.

Watever happens, as a farang I'm just a spectator here.

I think they are over re-acting...but granny (my wife) wants it.

And in this house when granny demands..it happens.

Don Mueng is about 1.5 Km away...and it is lower than our soi here, so I personally think Don Mueng will flood first.

But I could be wrong.

:blink:

Ooops...had it wrong. Aparently that construction is to be turned on it's side and used as a barrier to the flood water to stop it entering the house. The sandbags already there will be used to hold it from washing away.

We shall see.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Watergate to be opened to drain runoff : PM

The Nation

30168145-01.jpg

In the latest attempt to alleviate the flood crisis in many provinces, all water gates will be opened to drain the massive runoff from the north.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the public should not panic to see the water levels increase in many of Bangkok water routes.

"The opening of the water gates will make the water levels rise. The move will help us control the volume of runoff from the north. I want the public to understand this and not panic," she said.

She said the new measure would mean that the water runoff will flow into Bangkok, but it should not inundate the roads. Bangkok authorities would have pumping machines to pump the water out to the waterways.

The water would then go to San Saeb, Prawet and Song canals before running to the sea.

The premier was speaking after meeting with the water experts, including Irrigation Department director general Chalit Damrongsak and former Bangkok governor Pijit Rattakul, at the National Flood Relief Centre in Don Mueang Airport.

She said the building of water barriers was still necessary to help slow down the water currents. Some experts have been critical of the building of water barriers, saying these will block the waterways. The strength of the floodwaters has already destroyed barriers at several sites.

Telling the public should not be panic, Yingluck suggested people to move their belongings to the second floor. If their houses are in lowlying areas, people should move their vehicles to higher ground.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-20

Blocking it leads to flooding. Eventually it will gain strength and your dams will break (they are not that strong here).

I am in a flooded village a bit outside of BKK and it would be good for me if Bangkok started to let water flow. Its either letting it flow controlled like Yingluk wants to do now or wait until something bursts.

Robblok, we think the same. They have to let it go when they can still control a bit or everything will break and it will be totally unpredictable.

God luck to you and your relatives in this difficult situation.

Seems silly to order this now especially since people up country had to endure flooding misery for a month plus now. Why not moderate this in the beginning instead of hitting BKK with it all at once now with backed up water?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

you said it!!!!!

It probably came down to .... either Bangkok or Suphanburi

(apologies for the black humor)

more seriously, this will be a major urban disaster .

That water isn't going to simply flow thru and disappear in a few days.

Right, Bangkok isn't on an incline. It's former marshes and rice paddies and coastal wet lands.

Water in Bangkok will generally just sit.

Which is why the extensive flood control system with plenty of pumping power.

Water in Bangkok does not simply "flow out to the sea".

Look at the canals under normal circumstances.

Does that look to you like a regular, steady flow of water to the sea continually replacing the water you see each day?

Absolute insanity.

Do nothing. Then do everything. Is the leadership bipolar and off their meds?

If anything ever warranted a bloodless coup d'etat and putting someone with a brain in power, this sure seems to be good candidate.

In a day, a few technocrats could come up with a REAL plan and course of intelligent action. Coups in Thailand are an effective tool in the chest that is appropriate at times and CAN make things better FAST.

Forget the civics classes you learned back home. This is Thailand and the military are Thais too and despite their human weaknesses, they tend to LOVE their country and be PATRIOTIC and actually want what is best for their families which happen to be spread throughout the rest of us.

Blindly discounting the benefit of a coup is the true myopia -- brainwashed as a little kid that Western democracy is right for everybody. "And if you don't agree we will bomb the hell out of you!"

Could anything be worse than this present gang of leaders?

We all get to suffer and die and/or lose everything because of a power struggle between competing groups of a few rich and influential.

All Thais need to stand up and say: "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! AND WE CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE!"

Yeah, stoop to the "he-who-has-the-guns-rules" mentality. Of course this is Thailand. And, of course this is why Thailand has suffered so badly over the last 6 decades with violent loss of life (in the 70's, thousands of bright students in Thailand's best universities), and suffered near-fatal blows to its worldwide reputation for trashing human rights, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and the dignity of the individual. These international basic human rights never come out on top when those with guns rule.

What's wrong with the military bringing in its expertise (if it has it) at the behest of a civil government in times of natural disasters? It happens all the time, all over the world in human-rights honoring nations.

Sure, you asked for a bloodless coup. But to concede to the coup mentality is opening Pandora's box. You nor the citizens can control that one. whistling.gif

Don't throw out the baby (human rights) with the floodwater.

Our posts here on TV aren't going to influence a decision to have a coup d'etat by one iota.

However if you've been here awhile it isn't difficult knowing when those people who do have significant influence on such things are probably considering it. Talking about it doesn't mean we are " stooping to the 'he-who-has-guns-rules' ". We are simply pointing out a fact of Thai reality.

But having said the above, I don't mind saying that I cheered on the last coup. And I think plumeria is correct and there are times when a coup d'etat is good for the country and population concerned. I'm not saying that the situation warrants a coup or that I support a coup right now, but I could very well again be cheering on the next coup also. I don't subscribe to the "democracy at any cost" philosophy.

You may disagree with this and that's fine.

If you think Thailand has democracy and human rights now ... it has democracy and human right now after having several coups ... so you must agree that a coup doesn't necessarily destroy democracy.

Anyway let's not get carried away with arguments. Let's have a beer and talk about it.

Edited by rogerdee123

"A contingency plan has been prepared but we cannot disclose the details yet because it could create chaos. We'll have to wait for the proper time," Pol Gen Pracha said.

When will they stop treating the population like children and start telling the truth?

why would you post a comment like that? Its not as if they crank open 200 flood gates and a tsunami wall of water comes raging out to kill everyone in the path. In the government's defense, the do nothing option would result is crushed walls, water toppling over and the tsunami type of impacts. IE - deaths would occur. So give the government credit for picking the least of two evils and having the gutts to make a very tough decision. Its a touch decision for those who have never been in that type of position. This is a 150 yr flood situation, the government can not build walls high enough to protect the entire city. In the end Bangkok is built in a low lying area, the government developed canal and a system to deal with a 100 yr flood. its rained alot, they done a good job mitigating for 3 months, but you can't always beat mother nature

okay... when? people are going to walk on the streets and suddenly being hit by a fast and heavy flow of water. Very smart!

Sadly, you seems to have a problem reading. As i said, the government only said that they are going to open the gates. When are they going to open the gates? Can you tell me? Because i dont want to be in the streets when this happens and no one want to. Is it going to be tomorrow morning or during the afternoon? If you know the answer, tell me because i know i have lot of food and water at home to survive a long time but maybe when the flow arrive, i wont be at the right place and die.

Now, you really have to explain me how the job was good because or we dont live on the same planet or you are just not aware of the situation. They were holding the water all this time. Where do you expect it to go? Evaporate or the sand will drink it? Maybe it will just disapear? Water from the north have to pass through bangkok to get to the sea. This is logical. Also, if you hold it, it will gain strengh and, at the end, going to pass through bangkok. If they would have accepted to flood bangkok a few weeks ago, we would not be here talking about that. The decisions she took was only political and not about the good of herp citizens. Experts are telling her since a few weeks how dangerous is the situation and she was blind to their suggestions. The tv channels all around the world are bashing her and you are the only one who received the light of truth? Come on! Go tell your speach to the 320 families who lost someone that the pm did well and see what is going to be their answer. In this situation, you can not be selfish and even as a PM, you have to admit you dont have the knowledge and listen to the experts.

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Yingluck and the current administration are like cornered animals and will indeed take anyone and any thing they could down with them.

All the hallmarks of Yinglucks Big Brothers tactics all over again.

Amazing, such blind hatred and bitterness, to the point that you cannot consider any other possibility.

YEAH! Lay off her. She's rich, beautiful and has lovely white skin. What else do you want in a PM? GIve her a break.

Edited by Netfan

Tens of Thousands of Bangkok citizens will die, when they are now going flood Bangkok! The PM is obviously totally in sane!

To late for "State of Emergency". Only a coup will be able to save Thailand and Bangkok now.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! shock1.gif

Yeah its called rain!!