Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

Ask or order? Either way,please can she explain the logic behind this?

There's no logic behind it unless she wants to see where the water will overflow which is not really clear apparently.

After opening they can close those gates again right?

Of course there is a logic, since the water cannot disappear or evaporate for itself, it has to find its way towards the sea.

Before insulting Thai authorities, please try to learn more about the topic and the situation.

Thailand has managed it 10 times better than USA or Japan or European countries have managed similar situations.

You are awarded dumbest comment of the decade. Would have been dumbest of the century , but some of your "competent" thai officials have that award locked down

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tides are not looking good for this.

It will be a huge mess for a while, then slowly return to normal. I hate flood damage. It worries me that the worlds changing climate may make this type of occurance happen more often and be just as or more severe. Time will tell. The only thing certain is that things will change. Thai's are smart and will adapt. The PM can only listen to her advisor's now, which it sounds as if she is doing. How will the poor Japanese adapt? God save the people and king of Thailand.

I doubt it will be a full release of water that will cause deep flooding. It's probably a slight opening of the gates to relieve the pressure build up,especially considering that there is still more water coming down from the North. A lot of klongs in inner Bangkok is still quite low and I guess this decision is being taken as flooding will at least be controllable and manageable. It won't be so bad to have about 10 cm or so of water as damage can then be limited.

I doubt, I guess It's probably a slight opening,It won't be so bad to have about 10cm or so. Can I borrow your crystal ball. You seem to know more that anyone in Thailand.

I guess by now you realise the it's a controlled release as I thought it might be? One doesn't need a crystal ball, just some common sense (definition of common sense : Good sense and sound judgment in practical matters, in case this word is foreign to your vocabulary)

Yeah ... like they controlled the water flow around those industrial estates .... and like they said earlier today that the waters would be diverted around Bkk ... etc etc.... FROC and the GOVT change their announcements by 90 or 180 degrees almost every hour

With that much water and the pressure, I'm not so sure they can control it ... or close the gates once they crack them open.

So since you're so clever, what would you do?

The way you're talking, anyone would think there's gonna be a 50-foot tidal wave heading down Soi Cowboy. Get a grip or get a flight

The way you are talking, you seems to know everything before it happens. If you are one of those experts, you shall have worked with the PM. Maybe you would have saved us! Get a grip or get a flight!

!

Edited by angeledge

:whistling:

I'm not a defender of the current government by any means.

But some posters here are being unfair.

Do you know the joke about the 500 Kg gorrilla.

Question: Where does a 500 Kg gorilla go?

Answer: Just about any god----m place it wants to go.

Well the Chaopaya is like that 500 Kg gorrilla.

If it wants to go to to the ocean, that's where it's going.

And all the politicians and political parties in the world can't stop that.

Nor for that matter will sitting around a bar and bi---ing about it.

That's just a fact.

:whistling:

Ever been near the gorilla exhibit at the zoo? Stand too near it and they start to hurl gorilla dung at you. It's all about being prepared and ducking the dung before it's too late.

Let's do a few sums. Apparently there is around 6000 billion cu. mtrs of water approaching. Never mind who made this calc but lets just take it as fact for now. Assuming it is moving at 5 KMH and is spread over a front of approximately 50 km by around 100 KM long (and we assume it is the Engilish billion, not the American one ) then what depth could the water be excluding any surge factors ?

so:- per hour the equivalent of 5000 x 100000 x 50000 = 25 billion sq. mtrs of water movement. So if 6000 billion cu. mtrs is approaching then we are either going to be under 240 mtrs of water or perhaps their figures are wrong ? - or my maths.

Reply to bkkupcountry:

!!! I'm just telling it how it is, thats all!!!:(.

Which bit do you disagree with out of interest???

I'm guessing that your wife is from the North - if so, I bet she voted Pheu Thai (or NOT for the Democrats more pertinently)!!!

On the racist bit - you will not find anybody on planet earth more anti-racist than ME!!!! Bigoted - I don't think so - if you call having a strong belief in your convictions is being bigoted then I suppose I do qualify. Having said that, I do listen to the other people's argument and then tell them why they are wrong!!!! I borrowed this from a previous British prime minister, who incidentally is on a par with Yingluck (achievement wise) in fact maybe worse on account of her tearing the fabric out of the society of Britain!!!:jap:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Easy to be smart ass in hindsight, give her a break she's only been in charge two months, did you predict the flooding would get this bad smart ass

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

Can we tone this down a notch? It is not bhakta's responsibility to predict flooding. He did not seek the job of Prime Minister, and I'm pretty sure that he didn't pay a single person to vote for him. I'd also have to say that I don't recall ever hearing the present prime minister say that she wasn't ready for the responsibility but that she wanted people to vote for her anyway. I sort of remember getting the impression that she presented herself as someone who could handle the job right from the start and was not a trainee. If I got that part of the story right, then she isn't due any period when it's acceptable for her to do damage to the country because she's just learning as you suggest. Either she was telling the truth when she said she could handle the job, or she wasn't. Either she was ready to handle the job, or she wasn't. And whether a member of TV is even less capable than YL is not even relevant.

You cant hold the water back. Theyve been keeping it in dams in the hope that the rain stops and they can let it out slowly. Unfortunately the water has built up... and now its going to be released all at once. They dont have any choice. Just a gamble and they were wrong. No need to accuse them of incompetence. Thailand is a developing country and these things happen.

Full moon is past already, why is the tide still a factor :ph34r: ?

The higher of the 2 spring (nothing to do with the season) tides is new moon, when the sun and the moon are on the same side of the planet.

" the sister of fugitive former leader Thaksin Shinawatra"

I have seen this over and over, do you think this should be a good time to focus on attacking the flood problem than attacking a person?

not when that person has made things 100 times worse through stupidity and not caring and its to late to do anything time was weeks ago and do you really think this lot of muffins are going to handle aftermath and coming crisis and hardships with even semblance of care compassion or plan or anything totally pathetic whistling.gif

Would a punctuation teacher be of help to you ??

I know a good one.

Suggest you watch some Thai television news to see the reality.

It's a long way from what is being portrayed on TVisa.

So since you're so clever, what would you do?

If the gates have to be opened, I would say ... "in two days we are going to open the flood gates, so if you have a safe place to go outside of Bangkok please go. If you must stay in Bangkok, inform your Nai Ban of your location and find a place above ground level and stock up with food and water for at least a one week period. Govt trucks with will be distributing food and water for the next two days in every neighborhood supervised by the army and your local Nai Ban. Martial law will be imposed from midnight tomorrow and there will be military patrols in all neighborhoods preventing looting and helping in emergencies, Be aware that electricity, water and telephone services may have temporary outages ..... etc etc etc. "

It ain't really rocket science.

Reply to bkkupcountry:

I'm guessing that your wife is from the North - if so, I bet she voted Pheu Thai (or NOT for the Democrats more pertinently)!!!

On the racist bit - you will not find anybody on planet earth more anti-racist than ME!!!! Bigoted - I don't think so - if you call having a strong belief in your convictions is being bigoted then I suppose I do qualify. Having said that, I do listen to the other people's argument and then tell them why they are wrong!!!! I borrowed this from a previous British prime minister, who incidentally is on a par with Yingluck (achievement wise) in fact maybe worse on account of her tearing the fabric out of the society of Britain!!!:jap:.

Plus the stupidity, ignorance, gullibility of that uneducated lot up North

Tell me, how should such a statement be taken? As a non-native English speaker, I apologise that my command of nuances and innuendos of the English language is not up to par.

Incidentally, my wife IS from the North - and yes, she did vote PT. She also happens to be a graduate from ABAC University but I guess by your standards, that's lower than primary school in your home country?

Having said that, I do listen to the other people's argument and then tell them why they are wrong!!!!

I apologise for omitting obstinate and stubborn to your delightful personal traits.

Hmm.... anti T(hatcher) - Labour obviously...great job Tony and Gordon's done for the UK whistling.gif

The way you are talking, you seems to know everything before it happens. If you are one of those experts, you shall have worked with the PM. Maybe you would have saved us! Get a grip or get a flight!

I don't know what's going to happen but I doubt there are gonna be any cars or shacks hurtling towards central Bangkok at head height. For sure, this is catastrophe but infinitely more so for the poor souls in places like Ayutthaya and other provinces that have endured it for weeks. They had/have reason to panic.

If, however, as a resident of relatively central Bangkok, you're seriously worried about having to endure a re-enactment of scenes from "2012", you should board a plane and get the f*** outta dodge instead of talking shit about a coup.

PM orders floodgates in Bkk to be opened; 4 major canals will be used to drain water from the North; water levels will not swell over banks

/TAN_Network

This helps to clarify the original news article. The gates being opened is limited to a certain area in the northeast of Bangkok. Matches up with what I heard on TV.

Reply to bkkupcountry:

Tell me, how should such a statement be taken? As a non-native English speaker, I apologise that my command of nuances and innuendos of the English language is not up to par.

Incidentally, my wife IS from the North - and yes, she did vote PT. She also happens to be a graduate from ABAC University but I guess by your standards, that's lower than primary school in your home country?

Having said that, I do listen to the other people's argument and then tell them why they are wrong!!!!

I apologise for omitting obstinate and stubborn to your delightful personal traits.

Hmm.... anti T(hatcher) - Labour obviously...great job Tony and Gordon's done for the UK whistling.gif

How is this different from your own xenophobic and bigoted comments about foreigners? You are being quite hypocritical here. You are also putting words in other people's mouth, crying "racist" when actually the comment related to education and voting choices.

Edited by Crushdepth

it's raining now in Ramkhamhaeng, seem to get heavy ...San Saeb is the most polluted canal in Bkk, hardly can manage heavy rain in that area.

It's raining here too, but I'm not worried, cause it's raining men :lol:

I'm no moteorologist, but right now we are paying respects to the god of the sea (poseidon) and all I can say is it is raining hos ;-)

It will be a huge mess for a while, then slowly return to normal. I hate flood damage. It worries me that the worlds changing climate may make this type of occurance happen more often and be just as or more severe. Time will tell. The only thing certain is that things will change. Thai's are smart and will adapt. The PM can only listen to her advisor's now, which it sounds as if she is doing. How will the poor Japanese adapt? God save the people and king of Thailand.

Dindt think they believed in God?

Let's do a few sums. Apparently there is around 6000 billion cu. mtrs of water approaching. Never mind who made this calc but lets just take it as fact for now. Assuming it is moving at 5 KMH and is spread over a front of approximately 50 km by around 100 KM long (and we assume it is the Engilish billion, not the American one ) then what depth could the water be excluding any surge factors ?

so:- per hour the equivalent of 5000 x 100000 x 50000 = 25 billion sq. mtrs of water movement. So if 6000 billion cu. mtrs is approaching then we are either going to be under 240 mtrs of water or perhaps their figures are wrong ? - or my maths.

It is not your maths that is wrong, it is your assumption that speed is involved. They are talking about a volume of water which is , as far as a simple rectangle shape is involved, is length x width x height which = Volume. So Height = Volume/ width x length So we have 6000,000,000/50,000 x 100,000 which equals 1.2 metres in height. Hope that helpsclear it up.Unfortunately, as you point out, that does not take into account surges and man made blockages..

You cant hold the water back. Theyve been keeping it in dams in the hope that the rain stops and they can let it out slowly. Unfortunately the water has built up... and now its going to be released all at once. They dont have any choice. Just a gamble and they were wrong. No need to accuse them of incompetence. Thailand is a developing country and these things happen.

Few and far in between, but a well reasoned and balanced post. Any decision dealing with natural causes is always a gamble. Any decent and reasonable poster here will readily admit it, instead of throwing insults.

NB: I would wager that even developed countries sometimes get it wrong.

Few and far in between, but a well reasoned and balanced post. Any decision dealing with natural causes is always a gamble. Any decent and reasonable poster here will readily admit it, instead of throwing insults.

NB: I would wager that even developed countries sometimes get it wrong.

+1

Reply to bkkupcountry:

How is this different from your own xenophobic and bigoted comments about foreigners? You are being quite hypocritical here. You are also putting words in other people's mouth, crying "racist" when actually the comment related to education and voting choices.

Oh, I didn't realise you are SS's mouthpiece.

Finally, you're showing your true bigoted and racist self...

Quite a few of your own posts are xenophobic and bigoted.

Most - but you have to understand that he has "asian values" quite different to ours and difficult for us to understand - inscrutable even. Or am I being racist and bigoted? B)

I like the comment on a website that I am not allowed to quote from a reporter who saw the police in action carrying out their threat to tow away cars illegally parked on the expressway. He saw thousands of cars double and triple parked and people walking all over the road which they now regard as a parking lot. In the midst of this chaos the police had a single tow truck and were preparing to remove a triple parked car. I wonder how long it will take the BIB to clear the whole system and where they will put the cars.