webfact

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rolleyes:

The post I initially responded to asked about the threat from cholera and typhoid. It was a daft question because most farang in Bangkok don't live in shacks without an electricity supply for boiling tap water. Consequently, they're unlikely to be forced to source drinking water from contamined flood waters . . . even in a worst-case scenario with the entire city under a metre of water.

I fail to see how the post in question post indicates that I'm unsympathetic to the plight of those worst affected upcountry. Perhaps you could elaborate ?

My perception is that you completely mis-read a simple post that said "what about Cholera and typhoid?" He isn't saying anything about HIS circumstances or any farang in particuar he's talking about the potential for disease on the whole farang and Thai alike.

Well put it this way - Some parts of the country have been under seriously high levels of water for MONTHS. . . have YOU heard any mention of a typhoid or cholera epidemic in the Thai media ? Have the 320+ deaths been attributed to an outbreak of water-borne diseases?

I love it when utterly gormless lemmings like Angeledge, Noahvail and Huk form a chorus of fools behind a lost argument.

Well put it this way - Some parts of the country have been under seriously high levels of water for MONTHS. . . have YOU heard any mention of a typhoid or cholera epidemic in the Thai media ? Have the 320+ deaths been attributed to an outbreak of water-borne diseases?

I love it when utterly gormless lemmings like Angeledge, Noahvail and Huk form a chorus of fools behind a lost argument.

Enough of this tit for tat and leave this topic for flood specific information. Back on topic.

1319262160[/url]' post='4784292']

TAN_Network

10.24 Muangthong 1 housing estate in Chaengwattana 14 sees flooding to chest level; residents said flood water started rising since 4am

That is (was?) my estate, it's in Bangkok which exposes the FROC statement of no flooding in Bangkok as a CROCK.

TAN_Network

10.24 Muangthong 1 housing estate in Chaengwattana 14 sees flooding to chest level; residents said flood water started rising since 4am

Running low on supply of pins for the map...

Thailand Floods 2011

Red Pins:

Severely affected area: Urgent help needed

floodmap.png

Google Crisis Map: Thailand Floods

http://www.google.org/crisismap?crisis=thailand_floods_en

Edited by Buchholz

TAN_Network

Running low on supply of pins for the map...

Thailand Floods 2011

Red Pins:

Severely affected area: Urgent help needed

floodmap.png

Google Crisis Map: Thailand Floods

http://www.google.org/crisismap?crisis=thailand_floods_en

Well this is one way to make Bangkok "Red"

1319262160[/url]' post='4784292']

TAN_Network

That is (was?) my estate, it's in Bangkok which exposes the FROC statement of no flooding in Bangkok as a CROCK.

If that's not enough, on the Google Crisis map above, there's a red pin covering the "g" in Bangkok.

TAN_Network

But Khun Yingluck said only 50cm - 1 meter. So it must be the chest level of a small person.

But again ... hmmmm ... seems like that's what they told the residents of Nonthaburi also.

So which flooding evacuation center should they flee to? Don Muang or Tammasat or ... ?

Ermmm this is super vague ...

Which area is to be flooded ?

For how long ?

How high ?

The Baiyoke tower should be OK.

Just keep moving upwards as necessary.

The disaster hotline number being "1 -ha,ha,ha " should be suitably reassuring to most, I have visions of the telephone being passed around the office with people repeating "Farang" whilst trying to find someone who speaks English.

See flooding based on Bangkok topography here: http://flood.firetree.net/ from another thread that someone (sorry OP - forgot who posted it...) Good map! NB: you have to scroll over to Thailand....

Excellent Scott thanks for bringing that over here I had been looking for something like that the other night..

For how long ?

How high ?

The disaster hotline number being "1 -ha,ha,ha " should be suitably reassuring to most, I have visions of the telephone being passed around the office with people repeating "Farang" whilst trying to find someone who speaks English.

See flooding based on Bangkok topography here: http://flood.firetree.net/ from another thread that someone (sorry OP - forgot who posted it...) Good map! NB: you have to scroll over to Thailand....

Excellent Scott thanks for bringing that over here I had been looking for something like that the other night..

You're quite welcome but I can not take the credit for this.... The OP was asiavox.

That's a great picture of Yingluck - she looks attractive sitting between the two grumpy fellas...

What's all this about floods?

:)

I wouldn't mind breaching her flood defenses...heheh biggrin.gif

Relevant thread:

Polluted Water To Be Dealt With: Thailand Flood

That's a great picture of Yingluck - she looks attractive sitting between the two grumpy fellas...

What's all this about floods?

:)

I wouldn't mind breaching her flood defenses...heheh biggrin.gif

Relevant thread:

Polluted Water To Be Dealt With: Thailand Flood

http://www.thaivisa....thailand-flood/

I noticed they did a fantastic job on her make-up on TV the other day. Must have taken a couple of hours so I guess all the emergency meetings had to wait.

Still, it was worth it. Half the country may be drowning, but she looked like a superstar.

after following the flood stories on the news the last few weeks I have concluded the following

1. The flooding of BK was always going to happen

2. Trying to pevent it was foolish and has prolonged the issue to the point where

it will now be a huge torrent as opposed to a gradual release

3. Because of the above points - people in the North have been subjected to unnecessary prolonged suffering - the water should have been gradually let go long ago rather than allow this huge build up to save a few streets in BK

4. Concluding that the authorities have no clue what they are doing and it's time for a confidence vote against the current PM/government before this gets any worse.

This whole flood issue has existed far too long and it's now time to pull the plug and let these waters drain to the sea, the damage can not be allowed to continue any longer

Plus my flight arrives in BKK in 2x weeks and it better all be sorted by then :ph34r:

Please don't forget that much of the blocking up country was to try and 'SAVE' the rice crop ready for harvest and bound at extraordinarily inflated prices to the 'Rice Pledging Scheme', that they had been rushing to implement. There were HUGE gargantuan profits to be made this fall with rice, but then came 3 typhoons... how to save the rise. BLock up the dams.

But wait the dams can't hold it... what now... panic, panic.

They weren't necessarily saving Bangkok, but flooding the peasants to save the crop, before realizing it's too late to save the crop without releasing a lot of water, and flooding Bangkok too and trying to make it seem inevitable. Vested interests at their worst trying to make their game go their way and sod all to the little guy.

As they say: Follow The Money.

What was the quickest possible return on investment, for those who control grassroots Issan for PTP and the Shinawatra Clan?

Ani, you're going to hurt some feelings with that lot! Bankruptupcountry will have a fit, declare you unintelligent and uneducated at least.

It would be completely stupid and idiotic (as proven by some posters who are unintelligent and uneducated) to allow the main crop of Thailand to perish, IF that is what would happen. But since you eat potatoes and not rice, you are not likely to understand or care - yet another example of how selfish and bigoted you are.

p/s: you might want to invest in a pair of reading glasses (cost 100 Bht). It's Bkkorupcountry, not Bankruptupcountry. At least you have made your feelings known about the North and Northeast of Thailand. Hope you wife's not from thereabouts.

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

after following the flood stories on the news the last few weeks I have concluded the following

1. The flooding of BK was always going to happen

2. Trying to pevent it was foolish and has prolonged the issue to the point where

it will now be a huge torrent as opposed to a gradual release

3. Because of the above points - people in the North have been subjected to unnecessary prolonged suffering - the water should have been gradually let go long ago rather than allow this huge build up to save a few streets in BK

4. Concluding that the authorities have no clue what they are doing and it's time for a confidence vote against the current PM/government before this gets any worse.

This whole flood issue has existed far too long and it's now time to pull the plug and let these waters drain to the sea, the damage can not be allowed to continue any longer

Plus my flight arrives in BKK in 2x weeks and it better all be sorted by then :ph34r:

Please don't forget that much of the blocking up country was to try and 'SAVE' the rice crop ready for harvest and bound at extraordinarily inflated prices to the 'Rice Pledging Scheme', that they had been rushing to implement. There were HUGE gargantuan profits to be made this fall with rice, but then came 3 typhoons... how to save the rise. BLock up the dams.

But wait the dams can't hold it... what now... panic, panic.

They weren't necessarily saving Bangkok, but flooding the peasants to save the crop, before realizing it's too late to save the crop without releasing a lot of water, and flooding Bangkok too and trying to make it seem inevitable. Vested interests at their worst trying to make their game go their way and sod all to the little guy.

As they say: Follow The Money.

What was the quickest possible return on investment, for those who control grassroots Issan for PTP and the Shinawatra Clan?

Ani, you're going to hurt some feelings with that lot! Bankruptupcountry will have a fit, declare you unintelligent and uneducated at least.

It would be completely stupid and idiotic (as proven by some posters who are unintelligent and uneducated) to allow the main crop of Thailand to perish, IF that is what would happen. But since you eat potatoes and not rice, you are not likely to understand or care - yet another example of how selfish and bigoted you are.

p/s: you might want to invest in a pair of reading glasses (cost 100 Bht). It's Bkkorupcountry, not Bankruptupcountry. At least you have made your feelings known about the North and Northeast of Thailand. Hope you wife's not from thereabouts.

Yes of course ... crops are more important than people.

The main crop of Thailand wasn't in danger of perishing, only a reduction in the amount that would be exported to other countries. Rice makes up only 3% of Thailand's total exports (last year $6 billion out of $196 billion exports), rice should be flooded to protect industry and people

what about the Cholera and Typhoid risks now with so much water around?

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

Why is the (rather justified question) about a possible epidemic, a reason to rant about farangs?

Because only a feckless farang would ask such a stupid question when neither disease is likely to be an issue.

Unless, of course, on eis actually stupid enough to drink the flood water.

Let's assume for a second you have a reason to be that kind of angry, rampant, arrogant, bigheaded...

Still: we are talking about millions of liters of water...full of garbage, fecies, dead animals, resting in tropical heat. It will be here for a while and talking about Bangkok it will soon fester with...let's say a fantastillion of moscitos, rats and and other not very yummy animals. So <snip> makes you say, someone is stupid asking a question about diseases? I am sorry, but we farangs are not all doctors. We are not all as clever as you. And there may also be some Thais who, when they will get a rest from saving their belongings from gazillions of liters of dirty, smelly floodwater, sit down and think about it and might ask themselves: "Is this healthy?" And mind you: there are even more diseases that might spring up. Dengue or Yellow Fever! Malaria! But sure: you haven't heard about any case so far and sure means that there is no danger! ....ahm....so "we" are not trusting the government on telling us how high the water will rise and which places are safe or when they will flood the city...BUT SURE they will tell us, when we have the first case of Cholera!? Man..."save water- drink beer" is not the best slogan for all of us!

Edited by metisdead
Expletive deleted.

This should have been done two weeks ago at least.

But let's see what actually get's done to prepare for this disaster .... besides a press conference.

So far almost everything is a reaction .... haven't seen much significant preparation ... except the sandbag walls ... which only delay the floods.

The delay;s that the sandbags are providing should be used for evacuations and preparations.

Do you realize that you have said absolutely nothing? Were these actions actually warrented "two weeks ago at least"? I do not know and would bet &lt;deleted&gt; against shinola that neither do you. Do you actually know that it is only words from a press conference at this point or was work already undreway? Do you know what "signifigant preperation" that you are referring to and if so have you actually gone and confirmed its absence of actuality? Idle mind and idle speculation. Have another beer :burp:

For how long ?

How high ?

Too much reality :( .... Still funny though.. :lol:

You're quite welcome but I can not take the credit for this.... The OP was asiavox.

Yes, still that's why I said thanks for bringing it over to this thread it could be spread around a bit more, I hadn't seen it before it's certain other posters haven't either, I was looking to post something similar myself.... Cheers Asiavox..

Floodwalls will not be able to save Bangkok from huge water mass from North, Army Chief Prayuth says

/via@Biz_TheNation

Only the Army is willing to tell the people the truth about this flood.

Yes, and did you notice how the army has been put in charge of areas the least able to be defended? Don Mueng has been considered a lost cause for days. Siriraj is right on the bank of the Chao Praya. etc.

I'm reminded of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court." In that story a bigwig wanted to discredit Merlin the Magician, and so he put Merlin in charge of predicting the weather. The idea was that back in the days of King Arthur no one could possibly do that job, but it would be Merlin that seemed laughably impotent since it became his responsibility to carry out that impossible task. Could this be part of the real reason why the army was given those specific areas, and the easier ones are to be handled by politicians? You decide.

More likely is that the army was dispatched to these areas because they are to be hardest hit by the flooding, as that is where the need is greatest for evacuation, rescue and recovery efforts. Time to readjust the tin foil hat.

Since when has Don Muang been considered to be a lost cause? That's news to me as I live in Don Muang and just last night they announced on NBT that they were closing the sluice gates back down on klong bra pa to reign in the flooding and it has slowed here considerably in the last 24 hours while the pumping station on Srong bra pa is at full tilt, yesterday afternoon it was stagnant. Here's some pics from about 3:00 this afternoon..

post-83221-0-59701700-1319282927_thumb.j

Just up the road from this though I didn't get any still jpegs there only video, the klong was very low about 2 meters down and flowing very fast I was actually quite surprised how low it was considering it's still flooding further up the road but it has obviously slowed since last night much to my relief.

It just so happens the military doesn't have far to go to provide aid in Don Muang since one of their largest bases is on Srong bra pa Rd.

post-83221-0-47187700-1319282841_thumb.j

Evacuation center at Don Mueang Airport overloaded

BANGKOK, 22 October 2011 (NNT) – The flood evacuation center at Don Mueang Airport has exceeded its capacity by 700 persons while certain types of necessities have become short. Additional evacuees are urged to go to nearby shelters instead.

According to a volunteer of the Mirror Foundation, there are over 3,200 evacuees at the sheltering center at Don Mueang Airport’s International Terminal, which is more than the maximum capacity of 2,500 persons.

As more flood-affected people in need of shelter are expected to arrive, the center has recommended them to instead head over to nearby shelters, such as Kasetsart University, Sarawitthaya School, Horwang School and North Bangkok University.

The evacuation center at Don Mueang Airport reportedly has only six shower rooms which are inadequate for the current number of occupants. There are also no cooking areas, leaving the evacuees to have to rely on donated food. A number of items are now in need, including shower and laundry supplies, sandals, undergarments, portable urinals and adult diapers.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-22 footer_n.gif

I live on the "u" in Pathum Thani on that map just down & across the highway from Dreamworld. Still dry here somehow. The Dreamworld side of the canal isn't though afaik.

Ar you saying that Dreamworld has been flooded? sad.gif I had plans on going there on sunday.

Getting tired of this flood.

"Getting tired of this flood" ???

Have you actually had wet feet yet? Or been inconvenienced?

Dreamworld? Actually it's Nightmareworld for some people in flooded areas. Some have lost everything.:(

Plan on Dreamworld around Christmas.

Dreamworld is now 'waterworld' according to my reliable scources.

Word on the street is that the powers that be diverted the waters away from Thaksin's lands, and onto everyone else's. Ah, but of course. Not that it matters, the red slaves will not hear of it.

Can you just give it a rest? Do you never, ever stop? I can't imagine what life must be like thinking that some evil master mind is behind every thing that happens here, so I have some amount of pity for you, but there is a limit!

Personally, I think the point about 'robber-barrons' such as the one mentioned doing things contrary to the greater good is only too obvious - just as there's no apparent limit to their greed.

Might I suggest that, if you find 'inconvenient truths' such as the above upsetting or the lampooning of egotistical maniacs to be offensive, you take your cricket bat and go home.

Edited by GazR

Word on the street is that the powers that be diverted the waters away from Thaksin's lands, and onto everyone else's. Ah, but of course. Not that it matters, the red slaves will not hear of it.

Can you just give it a rest? Do you never, ever stop? I can't imagine what life must be like thinking that some evil master mind is behind every thing that happens here, so I have some amount of pity for you, but there is a limit!

Personally, I think the point about 'robber-barrons' such as the one mentioned doing things contrary to the greater good is only too obvious - just as there's no apparent limit to their greed.

Might I suggest that, if you find 'inconvenient truths' such as the above upsetting or the lampooning of egotistical maniacs to be offensive, you take your cricket bat and go home.

Up until yesterday, water was being diverted away from Bangkok. Since when was Bangkok a part of 'Thaksin's land'? The argument you are trying to score political points over doesn't even make sense. A triumph of mindless Thaksinophobia over reason. Again. You give the Red/Thaksin/PTP bashers a bad name.

Up until yesterday, water was being diverted away from Bangkok. Since when was Bangkok a part of 'Thaksin's land'? The argument you are trying to score political points over doesn't even make sense. A triumph of mindless Thaksinophobia over reason. Again. You give the Red/Thaksin/PTP bashers a bad name.

It's your rebuttal that's lost the plot. There is a big picture, look for it.

Edited by animatic