Thai Flooding Crisis Scares Off Tourists

webfact

Thai flooding crisis scares off tourists

by Rachel O'Brien

BANGKOK, October 21, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's flood crisis is taking its toll on the kingdom's lucrative tourism sector, scaring off nervous holiday-makers even though the most popular destinations remain unscathed.

Since deadly monsoon rains began three months ago, images of inundated Thai homes and frightened residents wading through water have appeared worldwide and dented the allure of the "Land of Smiles", typically associated with sunshine.

Many would-be tourists are now putting off their visits to the kingdom, according to industry groups, in another major blow little more than a year after the capital was rocked by two months of deadly political unrest.

The Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) reported new bookings have fallen by up to 70 percent compared to usual levels for the month, while Tourism Authority of Thailand deputy chief Sansern Ngaorungsi said cancellation rates had reached about 25 percent.

"More and more cancellations are coming," he told AFP.

The floods have killed more than 300 people and affected millions of Thais mostly in the north and centre, but the main tourist attractions -- including the southern islands of Samui, Phuket and Phi Phi -- are so far unaffected.

Fears are now growing for the low-lying capital Bangkok, home to 12 million people and a regional transit hub, after the government admitted it was failing in its battle to hold back huge floods just north of the city.

Singapore has warned its nationals against all but essential travel to the capital, while tour operators in China said visitors to Thailand had dropped dramatically as they advised against holidays in the troubled kingdom.

"Nobody wants to come to Bangkok," said the marketing manager of a luxury riverside hotel in the city, asking not to be named.

While its elevated parking lots were packed with the Ferraris and sports cars of Thai residents attempting to keep their prized vehicles dry, the hotel was struggling to fill up its rooms.

"We are flooded by cancellations," said the manager, adding that the company chain -- with fewer than 20 hotels nationwide -- had already lost more than half a million US dollars through cancelled bookings, most of them corporate.

Others were more confident that Bangkok could escape the worst of the crisis.

"What we are trying to tell guests is that the city is not really affected," said Annabelle Daokaew, PR manager at the Four Seasons Hotel in the upmarket commercial district, where the occupancy rate remained at more than 80 percent.

"We can't blame them if they are worried."

Tourists shopping in the capital were undeterred by the prospect of swapping sandals for rubber boots, but were still taking precautions.

Chris Robson, a 53-year-old from Brisbane in Australia, had moved from a central hotel to one nearer the airport.

"It feels safer back out there," she said. "But it's a hassle to come in to town."

New arrivals seemed unsure of what to expect as they touched down at the city's main airport, Suvarnabhumi, which is still operating as normal with reinforced flood defences at a height of up to 3.5 metres.

"I'm just relying on a local friend who told me it's safe to go to Bangkok. There isn't really much information. I've no idea how bad it is," said Marjolijn Salverda, 27, from Holland, as she waited to collect her luggage.

Protecting the massive air hub, built on a drained marsh, has been a priority for the Thai authorities, aware of the crippling effect that its closure could have on the country's economy.

In 2008 a nine-day blockade by political protesters stranded tens of thousands of travellers and badly damaging Thailand's tourist-friendly image.

The industry was badly hit again last year, when Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during an army crackdown on mass demonstrations by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters.

Tourism leaders were hopeful that businesses would once again bounce back from the natural disaster now befalling the country.

"I think if we can protect the airport, then bookings can be expected to recover after the floods recede," said Association of Thai Travel Agents vice president Chidchai Sakornbadee.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-21

I recal a tourist minister saying that tourism was not going to be affected. When i stated it would i was ridiculed by certain posters. Its good to be vindicated, but it feels like a Pyrrhic victory as im flooded here.

Edited by robblok

I recal a tourist minister saying that tourism was not going to be affected. When i stated it would i was ridiculed by certain posters. Its good to be vindicated, but it feels like a Pyrrhic victory as im flooded here.

The question is, has Tourism dropped by 70% or just 25%? I'd trust the former more than the latter..

For a more thorough vindication, just wait until Swampydoom falls - every other effort put in to save a stratigic asset has failed miserably, so I'm giving it 50/50 at best.

The floods have killed more than 300 people and affected millions of Thais mostly in the north and centre, but the main tourist attractions -- including the southern islands of Samui, Phuket and Phi Phi -- are so far unaffected.

for now, Samui is about to enter its yearly flooding , and it happens every year....

i also think the problem isnt so much with the flooding, but the way it is being handled....

The question is, has Tourism dropped by 70% or just 25%? I'd trust the former more than the latter..

For a more thorough vindication, just wait until Swampydoom falls - every other effort put in to save a stratigic asset has failed miserably, so I'm giving it 50/50 at best.

Yea.. but believe me i wont get much satisfaction out of it. I rather eat humble pie and have dry feet. Also my parents will arrive 11 November. So winning is like loosing. Also i don't wish doom on the Thais. Must say the euro and dollar and pound are winning a bit at the moment.

I recal a tourist minister saying that tourism was not going to be affected.

In what kind of reality/philosophy does one believe that you can "think" things into reality, especially when you're dealing with Mother Nature? whistling.gif

for now, Samui is about to enter its yearly flooding , and it happens every year....

i also think the problem isnt so much with the flooding, but the way it is being handled....

My biggest bone with the flooding is the lack of credible info. Everything was going to be ok until the water reached my home.

"The industry was badly hit again last year, when Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during an army crackdown on mass demonstrations by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters."

Let me correct that for you: The industry was badly hit again last year, when Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during the lengthy Thaksin-funded mass demonstrations by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters. The army, after a longer wait than any First World government would possible endure if the same thing happened in their capital, finally put an end to it. As an act of revenge, the Red Shirts then vandalized and set Bangkok ablaze.

There you go... a more accurate assessment. You're welcome. :jap:

We know where it's going to flood and how long it will last (Normally 3-4 days).

So we prepare for 'Venice season'

No wonder when this incompetent government can’t even tellthe truth to their own people how can tourist trust them

The problem is not so much the flooding in the North as such, it has more to do with uncertainty as to whether the Airport will remain open and even if it does will people be able to travel on to their final destinations, my guess is that once the flood water has been drained down to controlled levels and people are 100% sure the airport will remain open and that exit roads are clear for transport out of the area then tourist bookings will recover.

I have a flight booked for two weeks time and these are my primary concerns, saying that I picked a fine time to go home for 3 weeks :(

"The industry was badly hit again last year, when Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during an army crackdown on mass demonstrations by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters."

Let me correct that for you: The industry was badly hit again last year, when Bangkok's central shopping area was reduced to a battle zone during the lengthy Thaksin-funded mass demonstrations by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters. The army, after a longer wait than any First World government would possible endure if the same thing happened in their capital, finally put an end to it. As an act of revenge, the Red Shirts then vandalized and set Bangkok ablaze.

There you go... a more accurate assessment. You're welcome. :jap:

+1

And good to see that their appointed best woman for the job has completely ballsed up the country so soon into her post. I hope the Red Shirts are all patting themselves on the back right now.

Much more to follow for the rest of her term, or until Thaksin is allowed to come back and take over for her.

New bookings are down 70%.

Cancellations are at 25%.

I am flying over in 3 weeks....probably....

But wondering if the Trade Show at bitec - Bang Na will happen ,

if I will be able to see a couple factories out in Rangsit ,

Plus the other stuff I need to do ,

I go to BKK 3-4 times a year and know my way around , but if this gets much worse , 1/2 million already lost jobs ,

then maybe the trip will need to wait as it will be more of a hassle than fun.

I hope things work out as I would like to go , But I do not think anyone knows what will happen ,

BK

and floods in the USA floods happen all the time too, the force of water is very powerful ,and at speed can rip apart whatever you put in front of it.....

On October 9th I watched the website of the Thai Tourism Authority in Germany. After they gave clearance for all tourists stating: it is safe to visit the country, I had a look at their Munic branch. Under the section "actual news" postet on May 31st 2010 I found this ad:

2011-10-09_183810.png?w=199&h=137

It says "Enroute on Thailand's waterways." That was to a point in time when 1/3 of the country was flooded already. Are these guys nuts?

It doesn't scare me off, but I would not fly into BKK right now. Too much connection issues. My 12th trip will just have to wait a while.

On a related note, I noticed the EVA air elite class seat ticket prices went up over $400 for a Nov 4 return Dec 17 time frame from what they were for a similar 6 week duration had I gone a month or two ago. The coach tickets have not gone up and seemed cheap actually. Kind of odd.

I hope the Red Shirts are all patting themselves on the back right now.

They're not; they're blaming Mark & co. for the floods. :unsure:

the force of water is very powerful ,and at speed can rip apart whatever you put in front of it.....

Sure is - just 1 cubic metre weighing 1 tonne at sea level (that's 1,000kgs)... heavier for dirty water. And when you have millions of m3 moving at any speed, while not a tsunami, it's formidable. There's apparently 16 billion m3 backed up!

On October 9th I watched the website of the Thai Tourism Authority in Germany. After they gave clearance for all tourists stating: it is safe to visit the country, I had a look at their Munic branch. Under the section "actual news" postet on May 31st 2010 I found this ad:

2011-10-09_183810.png?w=199&h=137

It says "Enroute on Thailand's waterways." That was to a point in time when 1/3 of the country was flooded already. Are these guys nuts?

Believe me: you have NO idea just how nuts...!

I am flying over in 3 weeks....probably....

But wondering if the Trade Show at bitec - Bang Na will happen ,

if I will be able to see a couple factories out in Rangsit ,

I would check if the factories that you want to visit are underwater or not. If they are underwater, they probably won't be dry in 3 weeks.

Bitec should be OK, but I wonder how many companies will be pulling out of the show because of their own flood damage.

You can call me patriotic, I will get out and pump money into the service sector of the thai economy B) It would be nice if a few others would get out of the house, away from the cable, and kick start this flood ravaged economy.

That's right, get the cane and the walker granddad and head out.