Thai Bank Account

I've lived with my Thai girlfriend for ten years in the UK.

She has suggested that I can open a bank account in Thailand on our next trip.

Is this possible? I don't own any Thai property in my own name and don't have any utility bills etc with a Thai address.

I travel on a simple 60 day tourist visa.

She said she knows farangs that have opened Thai bank accounts but I'm guessing it may have been easier in the past. These days, it's hard enough for some folk to open an account in their own country, never mind a foreign one.

Strictly speaking the answer in your case is no. However if your persistent you should find a branch that will accommodate but your right its getting harder. I have an account with a bank that has merged with another, when I went in to change accounts they wouldn't renew unless I showed them condo deeds.

It is possible to open a bank account even on a 30 day entry as I did.

I would suggest it would be easier in the areas used to dealing with foreigners.

Take along your passport and girlfriends house registration if possible for address confirmation.

Opened a bank account with SCB in Pattaya just back in August... giving the hotel as the address... no problems at all... received ATM debit card within minutes, have e-banking, included basic health insurance and life policy... all I needed was a passport and they solved the KYC within minutes...

It is possibly to open accounts even for short term visitors. I attach a link to Bangkok Bank website outlining what you need.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

The aspect of an address can be challenge at times. If you have family members or friends who are prepared to receive mail then use this. Realistically you will receive little to no mail from the Bank. The main record is the Savings passbook so statements are issued.

The Bank is obliged to have some address that they can endeavor to contact you should some incident arise. It does not do any harm to have a document showing your home address that can be recorded.

Bangkok Bank is the best one to open for people from the UK and US because they offer a special feature where you can cheaply transfer money in using online ACH transfers via Bangkok Bank London or New York, avoiding the expensive SWIFT system. To use the feature, you need to so some setup on your UK or US account; it takes about a week.

Edited by Jingthing

Cool.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought it would be nigh on impossible but am gonna give it a go and if at first I don't succeed............

Should I try to get an account in the same bank as my lass's (Siam Commercial) to aid transfers etc., or should I use another bank or does it make no difference?

Also, I'm assuming all correspondence will go to her house.

What if we have a fall-out, would that raise problems?

Or what if her brother decides to leg-it with the contents of my account? Is that possible?

Bangkok Bank is the best one to open for people from the UK and US because they offer a special feature where you can cheaply transfer money in using online ACH transfers via Bangkok Bank London or New York, avoiding the expensive SWIFT system. To use the feature, you need to so some setup on your UK or US account; it takes about a week.

That's a particularly useful tip.

Thanks.

:whistling:

Two suggestions.

First one of the friendliest and most farang experienced bank (if there is such a term) is Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit Road Soi 43. I have two accounts there, one in my name and one joint account with my Thai wife. I am not sure if they will open an account for you with only a tourist visa...but I would try that branch of Bangkok Bank first. It's easy to find, right on Sukhumvit Road and the intersection with 43. Take the BTS and get off at Thong Lor, and take the stairs down to the street where your walking against the traffic. Soi 43 is a few sois up...just keeping walking against the traffic until you find it.

Or if you're driving or taking a taxi just remember increasing numbers and Soi 43 is on your left.

It's also near the Emporium and the Rex hotel as landmarks if you need them.

The other suggestion is to have your girlfriend open an account with a token balance. Then next week have her go with you and her I.D. card and bankbook. Have her tell them you want to open an account and deposit some money for when you are in Thailand with her. When they ask you tell them the same thing in English.

Not sure that will work, but it's worth a try.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

easy...passport and thai mobile phone number.

But attention: Tourist area (like Pattaya) somewhere without tourists they may torture you.

Work permit, Visa, blablabla

Thanks for that. A lot of people say it is more likely to go smoothly in a tourist spot but would a Pattaya bank branch not just refer me to the nearest branch to where I would require correspondence to be sent (my girlfriend's home in Kanchanaburi)?

Or can I open an account either without a local address or in a different buri to that of my "home" address?

:whistling:

Two suggestions.

First one of the friendliest and most farang experienced bank (if there is such a term) is Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit Road Soi 43. I have two accounts there, one in my name and one joint account with my Thai wife. I am not sure if they will open an account for you with only a tourist visa...but I would try that branch of Bangkok Bank first. It's easy to find, right on Sukhumvit Road and the intersection with 43. Take the BTS and get off at Thong Lor, and take the stairs down to the street where your walking against the traffic. Soi 43 is a few sois up...just keeping walking against the traffic until you find it.

Or if you're driving or taking a taxi just remember increasing numbers and Soi 43 is on your left.

It's also near the Emporium and the Rex hotel as landmarks if you need them.

The other suggestion is to have your girlfriend open an account with a token balance. Then next week have her go with you and her I.D. card and bankbook. Have her tell them you want to open an account and deposit some money for when you are in Thailand with her. When they ask you tell them the same thing in English.

Not sure that will work, but it's worth a try.

:D

That should work OK. If not, the Emporium branch of the Bangkok Bank will.

But attention: Tourist area (like Pattaya) somewhere without tourists they may torture you.

I don't think this is a true statement. I was in Sisaket working and decided to open an account with Siam commercial there, went it just gave them my passport and was open in mintues, didn't cask for my work permit or check my visa. Same I opened an account in Surin with Bangkok bank, just gave them my passport, they did not ask for my work permit of check mu visa. Now years ago i tried to open an account with both Bangkok bank and siam commercial bank in Bangkok (silom and Thong Lor) both refused since I did not have a work permit. Actually I think it is easier in non-tourist areas as I don't think they really know the rules.

OP you asked if you ended things with your girlfriend, this will have no effect on your account if in your name. As mentioned early in the post the address is more or less just for paper work, you will get little to no mail from the bank. Don't think I have received any letters from any of my banks in the last 10 years. you also said about her brother getting into your account. You need to make sure you keep the passbook with you, but even with the passbook don't think he can do anything as it's not in his name.

Thanks for that. A lot of people say it is more likely to go smoothly in a tourist spot but would a Pattaya bank branch not just refer me to the nearest branch to where I would require correspondence to be sent (my girlfriend's home in Kanchanaburi)?

Or can I open an account either without a local address or in a different buri to that of my "home" address?

there is no such thing like correspondence between a Thai bank and you. 14 years of banking in Thailand, never any correspondence. but they normally ask for your mobile phone number because when you make substantial transfers in foreign currency they call you and ask whether you accept exchange rate xyz.

most Kasikorn and Siam Commercial branches in Pattaya will open an account for you. if employees in one branch prefer to pick their noses just walk to the next one.

Some comments about Bangkok Bankok ACH transfer service from the US or UK (the only Thai bank that offers this).

To set up Bangkok Bank online they first send your user ID by email (within a week) and then send your password by mail (no other choice) to your address in Thailand within four to six weeks. Yes, SLOW!

For the US or UK setup to Bangkok Bank New York or London, you will likely have to go through the TEST DEPOSIT system. Your US/UK bank will do two small test deposits to BB which you will see in baht but you will have to CALL Bangkok Bank and find out how exactly much that is in US or UK currency and enter those amounts into your US or UK bank online to initially set up the link to BB.

Actually I think it is easier in non-tourist areas as I don't think they really know the rules.

OP you asked if you ended things with your girlfriend, this will have no effect on your account if in your name. As mentioned early in the post the address is more or less just for paper work, you will get little to no mail from the bank. Don't think I have received any letters from any of my banks in the last 10 years. you also said about her brother getting into your account. You need to make sure you keep the passbook with you, but even with the passbook don't think he can do anything as it's not in his name.

Good tip, will try to open one at her branch of Siam Commercial, first then. My TGF banks a large part of her UK earnings with them every month and is treated like a queen whenever we go in there, so that might prove influential.

I wasn't worried about losing control of the account, or anything like that, if we had a fall-out. Rather, it is the vulnerability to my account by "others" if correspondence was sent from the bank to the home that might include "account access" information (passwords etc). Assuming I can use Internet banking, I guess I can always request on-line statements and sensitive correspondence, only - and cancel paper statements etc.

there is no such thing like correspondence between a Thai bank and you. 14 years of banking in Thailand, never any correspondence. but they normally ask for your mobile phone number because when you make substantial transfers in foreign currency they call you and ask whether you accept exchange rate xyz.

most Kasikorn and Siam Commercial branches in Pattaya will open an account for you. if employees in one branch prefer to pick their noses just walk to the next one.

That sounds good (except my mobile phone number is a UK one - would that pose a problem, I wonder?).

Thanks fellas for the added info and thanks to everyone for the help thus far. Seems it might not be the mission-impossible I had anticipated.

Some comments about Bangkok Bankok ACH transfer service from the US or UK (the only Thai bank that offers this).

To set up Bangkok Bank online they first send your user ID by email (within a week) and then send your password by mail (no other choice) to your address in Thailand within four to six weeks. Yes, SLOW!

For the US or UK setup to Bangkok Bank New York or London, you will likely have to go through the TEST DEPOSIT system. Your US/UK bank will do two small test deposits to BB which you will see in baht but you will have to CALL Bangkok Bank and find out how exactly much that is in US or UK currency and enter those amounts into your US or UK bank online to initially set up the link to BB.

That's quite enlightening and effectively rules Bangkok Bank out (despite the London link) as I won't be in LOS long enough to collect my password. I also don't care to have my Thai bank account linked to my UK accounts in anyway, so that advantage would not actually be a benefit (quite the opposite).

Thanks for helping me, in that.

That sounds good (except my mobile phone number is a UK one - would that pose a problem, I wonder?).

Thanks fellas for the added info and thanks to everyone for the help thus far. Seems it might not be the mission-impossible I had anticipated.

to satisfy the bank's requirement spend 2 Pounds and get a SIM in the next 7/11. if you can't be reached because you are out of Thailand so be it. anyway, the bank will only call you if you make single transfers valued US-Dollar 20,000 or more.

to satisfy the bank's requirement spend 2 Pounds and get a SIM in the next 7/11. if you can't be reached because you are out of Thailand so be it. anyway, the bank will only call you if you make single transfers valued US-Dollar 20,000 or more.

Perfect. It's these little tips that can make all the difference.

That's quite enlightening and effectively rules Bangkok Bank out (despite the London link) as I won't be in LOS long enough to collect my password. I also don't care to have my Thai bank account linked to my UK accounts in anyway, so that advantage would not actually be a benefit (quite the opposite).

It's not as bad as all that for these reasons:

It might serve some frequent travelers for future trips

A password could be sent to a close to you Thai, they tell you the pwd (they don't know the user id) and you then CHANGE it

The link as seen in the UK/US is only seen as domestic. They don't send the money to Thailand. Bangkok Bank London or New York does.

The link is ONE WAY only! Money can be sent to Thailand that way. It CANNOT be sent back to the UK/US using this scheme.

It would help to be in Thailand when setting up the link as you need to call Bangkok Bank customer service to get the test deposit amounts.

Yes the INITIAL setup is a pain, but once its done, its done.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

It is possible to open a bank account even on a 30 day entry as I did.

I would suggest it would be easier in the areas used to dealing with foreigners.

Take along your passport and girlfriends house registration if possible for address confirmation.

This method certainly works at Kasikorn bank. If your GF is lacking some PPW because she is in UK any friend of hers will work.

Actually I would double check that info.

When I opened my BKB account & I wanted internet access I got the password instantly by going to the nearest ( in the bank ) ATM

I forget the exact procedure but you can set up your online account the same day you open it.

The ATM gives you the temp password.

You use it & then the bank system sends you a OTP ( one time password ) to verify via SMS

If you want the actual procedure just as Ian Guygil or Daveroc they both work for BKB & post here

Just PM Dave he is doing expat relations for BKB via the link I set above.

I know you can set it up in one day as I did for both mine & my wife's accounts.

One other thing is if your leaving Thailand be sure & set up which ever transfer links online in your BKB account to other banks before you go.

This procedure also requires they send you a OTP via SMS

Edited by flying

I opened by BB account last year and complained that it was too slow with the mailing of the password and was there another way I could get it quicker. They told me no choice. I am not saying there was no choice, but I am telling you my rather recent experience.

I opened by BB account last year and complained that it was too slow with the mailing of the password and was there another way I could get it quicker. They told me no choice. I am not saying there was no choice, but I am telling you my rather recent experience.

Seems things are better now ...maybe your complaining helped or the staff member did not understand you.

In any case both SCB & BKB are one day affairs & basically the same setup.

If the OP is in doubt he should just ask the BKB rep we have the luxury of having here on this section of the forum.