Supplies Running Out?

IssanDM

I was just talking to a friend in Udon and she said that Udon has about a weeks worth of gasoline before it runs out as fresh supplies can't make it north. Is this scare mongering or is there a bit of truth to it? I haven't seen or heard of any problems in the Maha Sarakham area. Also so far everything is pretty much dry here but the klong behind the house is higher than usual and many of the rural roads are in worse shape than usual.

It's not unlikely to be true for large parts of the world these days. Everything is on just in time delivery.

There is so much cheap transport available that almost everything is ordered with the lowest possible downtime before use. Someone has to keep capital tied down in order for large stores of goods to be kept available.

Was having this exact conversation a few days ago with a former tomato grower, who assured me there would not be any shotrages this far north

Well if BKK is running out of things already it is only a matter of time before we run out up here. If they can't get it in BKK how can they ship it up here.

And yes I have heard that we will be getting shipments from Malasya. Lets see, place order, send money to pay for order, ship order, oh now lets see how do we distribute order as normal centers are flooded, that won't happen in a few days.

Wife tells me that in Sarakham still okay for now, out of a few things but most stuff still available. With that said asked her to stop on her way back from town and pick up a couple of packs of Leo. Just want to be prepared

Around here (Kantaralak in southern Si Saket) the markets are still groaning with full supplies of meat, veg and fruit. However, the local Tesco is starting to look a bit thin on the shelves. No water (finally I'll have to bite the bullet and drink our plentiful well water) and, God help us, next to no beer. Holes appearing in the fresh foodstuffs section. Why do people immediately think of stripping supermarkets once there is a crisis within 1,000 kilos? I guess that's the problem of centrally-sourced just in time food.

Long live the local markets.

Around here (Kantaralak in southern Si Saket) the markets are still groaning with full supplies of meat, veg and fruit. However, the local Tesco is starting to look a bit thin on the shelves. No water (finally I'll have to bite the bullet and drink our plentiful well water) and, God help us, next to no beer. Holes appearing in the fresh foodstuffs section. Why do people immediately think of stripping supermarkets once there is a crisis within 1,000 kilos? I guess that's the problem of centrally-sourced just in time food.

I think its possible that BKK people have started the panic buying all over the country. This in turn creates panic buying in cities far away as the locals take it before the BKK'ers do.

I think its possible that BKK people have started the panic buying all over the country. This in turn creates panic buying in cities far away as the locals take it before the BKK'ers do.

TESCO Ubon and TESCO Mukdhan are about empty! Big C Ubon is much the same... with supplies a long way off. Time to start the diet again.

Any update on this? Wondering if I should be bringing some extra supplies returning to Ubon soon.

Yep, Can any members give an update on the supply at Tesco in Ubon as I have to drive 120+kms to find this out and I am getting a little sick and tired of the trip to find that Tesco and Big C are just about empty.

Thanks

B

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if it is worthwhile going into Khon Kaen this weekend to do a supermarket shop.

There is a small Tesco-lotus express at Nam Phong, but that is practically empty, not seen any meat there for about 2 weeks now.

The 7 11 shop appears fully stocked by comparison, but they don't carry so much of a range of the stuff I need.

Has anyone been to Tesco-Lotus or Big C in Khon Kaen recently? If so, what's the current situation?

The new Tesco Lotus was supposed to open yesterday (11th) just North of the city as far as I know. Has this been postponed due to shortages.

Thanks for any info

Any update on this? Wondering if I should be bringing some extra supplies returning to Ubon soon.

Yep, Can any members give an update on the supply at Tesco in Ubon as I have to drive 120+kms to find this out and I am getting a little sick and tired of the trip to find that Tesco and Big C are just about empty.

Thanks

B

You said in an earlier post that Tesco Ubon was empty - sorry, I've never noticed that., and I am there often.

Not sure just what items you are looking for, but my wife is shopping at Tesco and Big-C Ubon without any problems in buying the regular types of things that we use; and also using the markets that still appear to be operating at a good level of supply. Of course there are some things missing, and others have a limited selection, but empty? - no.

But maybe you are looking for specific items that they may not have, so please don't rush here just on my say-so, maybe wait to hear from other Ubon members who are better informed.

Good luck,

Elwood

I went to Tesco-Lotus in Khon Kaen today and it was quite well stocked, almost normal.

I asked about the new Tesco Lotus and was told that it is now scheduled to open on the 2nd November. I'm looking forward to that as I will not have to go through Khon Kaen to get to it.

Went to big c korat town last week and some shelves were empty; can't recall which ones apart from no bacon, and no bloody cat food at all. funny thing is that the price labels under the empty cat food shelves were the red ones; indicating a short term price reduction. chicken or egg I wonder?? The other post that mentioned worse than usual condition of local roads is the same as round here, Phimai in Korat. Worse now than in the last 4 years; mostly down to huge earth moving lorries with trailers smashing the surface up and causing big pot holes. These have been partly "seen to" by locals filling in with earth, sandbags and bits of tree.

Incidently, Phimai festival this week has seen a rash of thai youth behaving badly, which has resulted in some revenge drive thru attacks in local villages. I don't seem to get out as much these days, ha ha.

Thanks

B

You said in an earlier post that Tesco Ubon was empty - sorry, I've never noticed that., and I am there often.

Not sure just what items you are looking for, but my wife is shopping at Tesco and Big-C Ubon without any problems in buying the regular types of things that we use; and also using the markets that still appear to be operating at a good level of supply. Of course there are some things missing, and others have a limited selection, but empty? - no.

But maybe you are looking for specific items that they may not have, so please don't rush here just on my say-so, maybe wait to hear from other Ubon members who are better informed.

Good luck,

Elwood

If you go Ubon Tesco for farang stuff then there is none. Been a few times for my food stuffs but nothing. ;)

Thanks

B

Good luck,

Elwood

If you go Ubon Tesco for farang stuff then there is none. Been a few times for my food stuffs but nothing. ;)

Seems very patchy. Our local Tesco in Kantharalak was stripped down for a couple of weeks and is only slowly recovering. But Tesco and Big C in Si Saket on Sunday was stuffed full - it was like 'floods, what floods?' On the beer front most places round here now have reasonable stocks of Archa, Leo and Chang.

Came accross a box of Singha in a local shop and snapped it up - the Mom behind the counter (well they are mom and pop stores) seemed taken aback at my glee in alighting on this find. I don't drink Singha but I bought it for its rarity value :rolleyes:

(just kidding - my wife drinks the stuff but the last few weeks seem to have forced her to like Archa. At 30 baht a big bottle that's a result - perhaps I'll hide that case of Singha)

Seems very patchy. Our local Tesco in Kantharalak was stripped down for a couple of weeks and is only slowly recovering. But Tesco and Big C in Si Saket on Sunday was stuffed full - it was like 'floods, what floods?' On the beer front most places round here now have reasonable stocks of Archa, Leo and Chang.

Came accross a box of Singha in a local shop and snapped it up - the Mom behind the counter (well they are mom and pop stores) seemed taken aback at my glee in alighting on this find. I don't drink Singha but I bought it for its rarity value :rolleyes:

(just kidding - my wife drinks the stuff but the last few weeks seem to have forced her to like Archa. At 30 baht a big bottle that's a result - perhaps I'll hide that case of Singha)

or just sell it to me :D

Was shopping in Ubon on Saturday and Makro had no water, while Sunee and Tesco had no shortage.

Couldn't find Pepsi Max at any of the big stores, but managed to empty a few 7/11's. :D

I don't drink Singha but I bought it for its rarity value

..and herein lies the source of most of the so called shortages. That and opportunists buying up everything in the hope of selling it to customers in BKK at inflated prices.

The last nonsense I heard was BKK people rushing to Roi Et etc.. and buying land that doesn't flood.

I don't drink Singha but I bought it for its rarity value

..and herein lies the source of most of the so called shortages. That and opportunists buying up everything in the hope of selling it to customers in BKK at inflated prices.

The last nonsense I heard was BKK people rushing to Roi Et etc.. and buying land that doesn't flood.

Makes more sense than my buying up surplus to requirements beer. At least your Thai family can't come around and drink up your surplus land when you're back visiting falangand :rolleyes: