Is It Me Or Is There Problems With Thyroid Everywhere Here?

james24

Seem to hear about it a lot. My neighbour who looks like the picture of good health has thyroid problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. She's 45 and has had this for a number of years. There must be a lot that goes undiagnosed but she works at Suan Dokh Hospital so presumably goes for thorough check ups.

I've had hypothyroidism for decades. Happily, I had an excellent doctor in the US who suspected it just based on my temperament. That was bizarre, but he was right. Some thyroid illnesses can be severe but simple hypothyroidism simply requires taking a hormone pill everyday to get the hormone your body isn't producing. In Thailand this costs me less than TWO baht per day! That's right, TWO baht. Cheapest disease ever.

Edited by Jingthing

I've had hypothyroidism for decades. Happily, I had an excellent doctor in the US who suspected it just based on my temperament. That was bizarre, but he was right. Some thyroid illnesses can be severe but simple hypothyroidism simply requires taking a hormone pill everyday to get the hormone your body isn't producing. In Thailand this costs me less than TWO baht per day! That's right, TWO baht. Cheapest disease ever.

Do you find soy agitates it? I also heard kale is good for it

Edited by james24

• 1 year later...

Quite an old thread!

Any recent experiences or info available on Hypothyroidism, something I've recently found I have.

Weight gain is probably the most noticeable reaction I have found.

Am taking medication called Eutroxsig which I think is a synthetic Thyroxine, but needs to be kept refrigerated which is not easy when travelling Thailand.

http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/ThyroxFridge.html

The refrigeration bit is new and in fact as long as it is of recent manufacture you should be fine keeping it in an air conditioned place. Used to be recommended just not to let it get over 30 C and keep out of direct sunlight. Same preparation, only the Australian drug authority guidance that has changed.

You definitely do not need to be packing it in ice and the like. Just always keep in a cool place. Anyplace with A/c is fine.

Thanks Sheryl,

When in Thailand with my Thai Wife, usually for 2 to 3 months each year and at this time, we travel around and about the country a fair amount of the time.

Thus, usually in and out of hotels to buses or trains etc.

No trouble to keep the medication in the normal room fridge in the hotel, but then out into the normal day, perhaps for many hours.

A pharmacist whom I've had quite reliable info in the past says that most Thai's with this condition take a tablet available in the same dose, "Euthyrox" (Levothyroxine Sodium) which doesn't require refrigeration.

Indeed that is what I take after most of thyroid removal several years ago. One tablet 30 minutes before breakfast each day of EuthyROX 50mg

50mg I take it is a fairly large dose, most of the cases I have read about seem to be treated with strengths in the Microgram range.

Indeed that is what I take after most of thyroid removal several years ago. One tablet 30 minutes before breakfast each day of EuthyROX 50mg

50mg I take it is a fairly large dose, most of the cases I have read about seem to be treated with strengths in the Microgram range.

Indeed it is 50 mcg rather than mg. rolleyes.gif Sorry.

"I know at least 3 people under 40 who have issues with their thyroid".

"Is this a common malfunction here or is it just coincodence?"

If it's a landlocked place, could be lack of iodine in the diet.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Any side effects for those taking thyroid medication?

I haven't any side effects at all that I can point to, with under-active Thyroid medication.

Nor did I have any known symptoms until my Doctor recommended I have the Thyroid checked some years back which confirmed it being low.

Taking prescribed Eutroxsig in Australia and Euthyrox when here, as the Eutroxsig is supposed to be kept constantly cool.

I was hoping that the 100 microgram strength of the medication I'm taking for under-active thyroid, would get my system ticking over a bit faster and help lose some weight off the mid region as I eat reasonably healthy I feel.

So a tad hard to blame the belly on the Thyroid or lifestyle or age of late 60's?

It is possible to mess up your thyroid production for good if you take T3,

and then you'll really get fat

What exactly is T3?

Is it the main ingredient of these low Thyroid meds?

I gather that if so, it is mainly prescribed to substitute for the Thyroid being "messed up anyway" in the first place, so no medication I take it, would lead to NO substituted or replaced Thyroid function.......................Then what happens is the $64 question??

I understand that too much or over-active Thyroid over-works the heart which is what my mother had and did pass away with heart complications!

"I know at least 3 people under 40 who have issues with their thyroid".

"Is this a common malfunction here or is it just coincodence?"

If it's a landlocked place, could be lack of iodine in the diet.

It could be due to the absence of iodized salt in the diet because of the substitutes that are used in Thai cuisine.

It is possible to mess up your thyroid production for good if you take T3,

and then you'll really get fat

What exactly is T3?

Is it the main ingredient of these low Thyroid meds?

I gather that if so, it is mainly prescribed to substitute for the Thyroid being "messed up anyway" in the first place, so no medication I take it, would lead to NO substituted or replaced Thyroid function.......................Then what happens is the $64 question??

I understand that too much or over-active Thyroid over-works the heart which is what my mother had and did pass away with heart complications!

No, thyroid medications typically contain not T3 but T4 (thyroxine or some form thereof).

The body converts some of the available T4 into T3 hence the logic of supplementing only with T4. There are some individuals whose ability to do this is impaired and thus need T3 as well but they are a distinct minority, most people with hypothyroid have no problem converting T4 to T3.

T3 alone is not available in Thailand. Thyroid extract is, made I think from pigs, the problem with it is that it contains both T3 and T4 but with a higher % T3 than is physiologic for humans .

In the U.S. Synthroid is often prescribed for hypothyroidism --- http://www.synthroid.com/

Thyroid malfunction can be caused by a little know event .. a self-necrosing micro tumor of the Pituitary gland in the brain. The small Pituitary 'Master' Gland can have a micro tumor develop about the size of a small pea - or even smaller. It grows - disrupts the Master Hormone system which controls the Thyroid and Ovaries. Both organs can be severely affected - even destroyed. The tumor then dies of its own accord leaving a poorly functioning thyroid and ovaries - or no function at all.