Blood Donations Needed!

dairy queen

hi guys

just trying again to see if anyone has B Neg blood in bkk. i have a friend in desperate need at the moment. he is in bumrungrad. i probably wont have internet access during the day today but if anyone can call James on 084 441 0136 for more information i would really appreciate it.

please help my friend who is in ICU at the moment!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donna, sorry I am not in BKK anymore so can't help you out. Has your friend tried the Aus embassy. I think that they hold a list of rhesus neg people who are willing to donate. It is incidents like yours that highlight the need for this to be a more prominent topic, maybe when there is a need for some blood it could be sent out to all members, or would that cause too many headaches?

Just think yourself lucky that you can give blood. We recently moved to Switzerland and I popped along to our local hospital and offered mine. They seemed quite keen until I said that we had been living in Thailand and then the shutters came down and I was told that I would NEVER be able to donate blood here, even with a clean HIV/Hepatitis screen. <deleted> is all that about, neither would I be able to do it if I were gay. :o

Good luck to your friend.

• 1 month later...

Donating blood can be good for YOUR health, too, if you are a male (mainly).

Caucasian people, appararently those specifically of Celtic origin, seem to be those mainly affected. In Australia 1 person in 300 is affected. It is the most commonally inherited 'condition'. (I'm not bothering to be 100% accurate here with terms - it's in Google fellas.)

Haemochromatosis can be fatal, but it has an extraordinarily simple 'cure' -- blood-letting. In females this manifests in....well you know. Pre-menopusal females (sorry, ladies and girls) are more likely (than males) to have low iron, for this reason.

Bottom line -- do YOURSELF a favour (and be nice to others), don't bother with the blood test...just give it away to someone in need.

The irony is that the gender with the usually most easily accessible artery is the gender most in need of the needle.

I wonder if this'll get read.

To the psoriasis poster: - Forgot to add that psoriasis is not contagious. I have this, and was told by the blood bank that bacteria can enter the skin - and hence into the donated blood. Quite right too, hardly surprising. (Eczema presumably comes in here too).

Incidentally, was told by the skin doc that (my genetic) psoriasis was there at birth, and can manifest in babies and old people - at any age therefore. Stress is one cause, if not the cause, and, like eczema, is quite hard to treat much less cure. (Again, not bothering to be picky about terms). Cheers

Ignoramus, I am not being picky, but hamocromaotosis is not something that can be managed merely by donating blood. It is a disease that affects our family (I am a carrier apparently, my sister and dad sufferers), both my sister and father have to go along once a month for a blood test and then a unit of blood is taken. When it was first diagnosed my dad had to go every week. The worst part of it is the blood can't be used in any shape or form and is disposed of.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
After checking this site for updates there are only 24 people signed up to give blood.

I'm not going into the why and where fors but isent it time we all woke up. We need blood to survive.

http://bloodbank.thaivisa.com/default.asp?...on=AddReceipent

Farangs listen up your Blood is needed.

I've tried accessing this link but the page fails to load. Perhaps a mod could check why this is the case. Perhaps the link has been changed.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good idea to give blood.

I used to do that back in Sweden.

Anyone know where i can donate blood in Koh samui?

Do I just go to the hopsital or how do i do it?

Thinking about Songkran coming up soon and i am sure lots of blood will be needed then because of all the traffic accidents.

Take care!

/comehome

• 2 weeks later...

Copied fro mthe News Clipping forum:

Do you know...

- that only 3 out of 1000 Thais have Rh Negative blood compare to more than 5 out of 100 in foreigners.

- that it takes at least 2 days to process the blood ready for the patients.

- as of 25th of June, there are shortage of 50 units of Rh negative blood. Many patients of leukemia, cancer, accident and pregnant ladies are waiting desperately for their chance to survive. They need blood urgently to prevent from shock.

Donate your blood today to help increase the Rh Negative blood supply in Thailand.

Please donate blood at National Blood Centre,Thai Red Cross Society,Henri Dunant Rd.,Patumwan,Bangkok. Opening time of the National Blood Centre. Monday , Wednesday, Friday : from 08.00 a.m.- 04.30 p.m. Tuseday and Thursday : from 07.30 a.m.-19.30 p.m. Saturday and public holidays: from 08.30 a.m. - 15.30 Sunday : 8.30 a.m.- 15.30 p.m. Tel. 0-2252-1637 , 0-2252-1601

Please help sharing this urgent news to your friends. THANK YOU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all,

a 6-year-old girl suffered from Leukemia needs A Rh Negative Blood.

Her name is Orasa Ur-chukiat, Now she is at Vichaiyuth hospital.

For further information please contact Mr. Sam-khan Urchukiat 081 811 3933

A Rh Negative is rarely found in Thai people.

You can donate directly at the Thai red cross, Henry Dunant road.

: 0-2263-9600-99

Mon,wed, Fri 08.00-16.30

Tue, Thu 07.30-19.30

Sat, Sun, Holiday 08.30-15.30

Thank you for your help,

Thai Blood Database

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know of several remarkably healthy and well motivated gay men both here and in the US who would be giving blood on a regular basis ( and would have done so all their lives) if it were not for the archaic regulations in practice by the Red Cross world-wide. Ultra-conservative doesnt even begin to describe this organization. When they wont even consider a blood donation from a celibate priest, who happens to be gay . . .you just wonder where their heads are at.

• 3 months later...
I know of several remarkably healthy and well motivated gay men both here and in the US who would be giving blood on a regular basis ( and would have done so all their lives) if it were not for the archaic regulations in practice by the Red Cross world-wide. Ultra-conservative doesnt even begin to describe this organization. When they wont even consider a blood donation from a celibate priest, who happens to be gay . . .you just wonder where their heads are at.

Perhaps they've been reading the Irish newspapers too much. Come on <deleted>. (Are you aware that only a Protestant is entitled to be called a catholic priest).

On a more practical note, I am A neg and registered on a list here a while ago and have never heard from them, so perhaps time to repeat the process.

• 7 months later...

Exactly.

Policies like this are born out of total ignorance.

This is surprising in an organization which must include doctors, nurses and other well-educated people.

I wont give blood, nor will I give the Red Cross/Red Crescent donations of ANY kind . .. and have never given . . .because I wont knowingly support such discrimination.

(And I know a number of healthy celibate gay men . . . both clergy and laity . . who would donate in a heartbeat.) But thats beside the point really, because STDs are not exclusive to gay men or women.

• 2 weeks later...

"Does anyone know if the Red Cross in BKK does apheresis or plasma donation as well?"

They accept apheresis donations too.

Had a friend who used to just give plasma at HD and that was almost 20 years ago. :huh:

Last time I spoke to him he had donated over 1000 times (UK and other places) and he was over 60 years old on last occasion.

Also they used to give out badges and printed T shirts (in Thai) after so many visits saying that you had "giving your blood for the good of Thailand"...went down a bomb in Soi Cowboy..no kidding...still ot mine somewhere.... ...go for it... :D

• 5 weeks later...

Posted by Samran 9/16/2010 - Topic here

I just received a request from a Thai friend:

The Thai Red Cross is requesting donations for O negative blood for a young 4 year old who is undergoing heart surgery shortly.

RH negative blood types are relatively rare amongst Thai's, but common amongst those with European backgrounds, which is why the TV community can help in this instance.

I'm attempting to find out where this child is undergoing the proceedure, but for the time being the Thai Red Cross in BKK would be a good place to go to donate.

Thai Red Cross

1871 Terdprakiat Bld., Henry Dunant Rd., Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

Map: http://english.redcross.or.th/contact

• 5 months later...

Copied fro mthe News Clipping forum:

Do you know...

- that only 3 out of 1000 Thais have Rh Negative blood compare to more than 5 out of 100 in foreigners.

- that it takes at least 2 days to process the blood ready for the patients.

- as of 25th of June, there are shortage of 50 units of Rh negative blood. Many patients of leukemia, cancer, accident and pregnant ladies are waiting desperately for their chance to survive. They need blood urgently to prevent from shock.

Donate your blood today to help increase the Rh Negative blood supply in Thailand.

Please donate blood at National Blood Centre,Thai Red Cross Society,Henri Dunant Rd.,Patumwan,Bangkok. Opening time of the National Blood Centre. Monday , Wednesday, Friday : from 08.00 a.m.- 04.30 p.m. Tuseday and Thursday : from 07.30 a.m.-19.30 p.m. Saturday and public holidays: from 08.30 a.m. - 15.30 Sunday : 8.30 a.m.- 15.30 p.m. Tel. 0-2252-1637 , 0-2252-1601

Still pertinent, still needed and worthy of the support of those with O-negative blood (like myself).

Here is a link to the Google Maps page showing the location, it is at Henri Dunant Rd and Rama IV. Nearest MRT is Sam Yan.

Link: Google Maps, National Blood Centre, Bangkok

post-114176-0-41385900-1298627415_thumb.

Edited by c721671

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm o- blood group and checking if it's needed at present.

I'm in Ubon though.

Yesterday my wife said it was dangerous. For a farang. Hell I can handle myselft hand combat or with armed. She went on. Next day I go. Oh she told me there were no farangs helping

Posted by Samran 9/16/2010 - Topic here

I just received a request from a Thai friend:

The Thai Red Cross is requesting donations for O negative blood for a young 4 year old who is undergoing heart surgery shortly.

RH negative blood types are relatively rare amongst Thai's, but common amongst those with European backgrounds, which is why the TV community can help in this instance.

I'm attempting to find out where this child is undergoing the proceedure, but for the time being the Thai Red Cross in BKK would be a good place to go to donate.

Thai Red Cross

1871 Terdprakiat Bld., Henry Dunant Rd., Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

Map: http://english.redcross.or.th/contact

Wonderful, thanks for sharing.

I donated blood before and it was painless and actually a pleasant experience. The wonderful souls doing the draw were sincerely grateful that I was doing it and made it an uplifting experience. I felt pretty dam-n human afterward.

• 6 months later...

i went today - and donated... it was - gross...

to every room and counter before bloodletting i had to go MIN twice...

of everythnig a HUGE fuss was made...

i dont have sex, i dont eat fat and i dont take medication...

though, i marked "thyroid" at the application form, as there was an improper function once diagnosed, but i dont take medication...

i went to every room, i had to wait of course, to answer - as usual here - the same question 1000 times...

waaaaaahh....go away...

if i had lunch? no... if you dont have lunch you cant donate... endless... ok, finally settled, i said i had lunch on the way...

next...

thyroid is toxic? no.. is thyroid toxic? no, i dont even take medication, doctor looked up, is ok.. if thyroid is toxic, you cant donate blood... you cant donate blood... you know, it was an endless circle...

i asked her to state on the application form, that i couldnt donate blood...

she didnt do, and my case "proceeded" sort of...

its too long to tell... it was GROSS...

in the donation room...

the newbie took my blood... the first minutes were ok, then the psycho who oversees the room, comes...

she pressed permanently near or on the needle.. from late, when i started counting it was more than 20 times...

the plasters were minimum 10 times moved on my arm...

with this permanent pressing, there was a permanent commotion around me, as if something really terrible was going on...

ok, i let it end here...

Edited by dingdang

• 2 months later...