Flood-Related Diseases

webfact

FLOOD-RELATED DISEASES

The perils in the water

Dr Gerard Lalande

Special to The Nation

30168606-01.jpg

Amid the flood's destruction and disruptions, stay mindful of the less visible dangers

Major flooding brings serious, immediate and longterm health issues, even with the most effective healthcare system. The initial disruption of medical services aggravates the plight of those affected.

According to the Health Ministry, the current flooding has affected the health of more than 700,000 people - and the disaster appears to be far from over.

Below we examine the key health risks stemming from the unusual sanitary con¬ditions, along with some preventive measures.

INFECTION

People spending a lot of time in the water are at risk not just of drowning and electrocution but also several other dangers.

They could face severe skin infection from the multiple toxins that escape from inundated factories and farms and the sewage of housing estates. Scratches and other injuries are unavoidable, worsening the risk.

Leptospirosis - also called haemorrhagic jaundice and, in Thailand, roke chi noo - is a disease directly linked to contact with polluted water. Its source, as the Thai name indicates, is rat urine.

Outbreaks have been common in the Northeast amid flooding, with cases num¬bering as many as a few thousand each year. People contract leptospirosis directly from drinking contaminated water, but also through lesions on the skin or via the mucous membrane.

Long exposure into the water often leads to fungal infections on the legs and feet. Intense fullbody cleansing is required when exposed. Any damaged skin must be extremely well disinfected, and if the wound is severe, see a medical practitioner for a possible immunisation booster.

BITES

Bites from insects, particularly centipedes, or reptiles can occur as flooded urban areas bring wild animals into contact with people.

DISEASES

Water contaminated by microorganisms is a major concern. Lots of waterborne communicable diseases can spread, such as Hepatitis A, E coli bacteria, staphylococcal endotoxins and enterovirus (which infects the gastrointestinal tract and can spread to other parts of the body), and to a lesser extent typhoid fever and poliomyelitis.

Acute diarrhoea and food poisoning can result from ingesting contaminated water, even in small amounts.

Cholera, usually a major flood concern in tropical countries, is fortunately very rare in Thailand. However, since minor cholera outbreaks occurred from 2007 to 2009, it's wise to be on guard.

To protect against these waterborne diseases, obey the rules of basic hygiene, especially drinking safe water and proper hand washing prior to eating.

Flooding often increases the risks of "vector-borne" diseases, namely malaria, dengue fever and Japanese encephalitis, all of which are transmitted by mosquitoes.

In fact, the initial flood surge can wash away insect breeding sites, so the number of cases might not increase at the flood's outset. However, once the waters recede, all the puddles and ponds that remain become breeding places, and after about two months, mosquitoborne diseases usually appear.

In the flooded North and Central regions, an outbreak of dengue fever is more likely afterward than malaria or encephalitis.

This vast crisis has also displaced many people, forcing thousands into confined improvised shelters. The high density in such places can spur communicable diseases such as influenza, meningitis and measles. It's wise to make sure everyone's immunisation is up to date, especially children.

STRESS

Natural disasters induce high levels of stress, both emotionally and physically - from the extra effort expended to move personal belongings.

Flooding brings unprecedented stress when home and property are destroyed or even simply at risk of damage. In the flooding that inundated western Queensland in Australia earlier this year, the main complaint at hospitals was stressrelated chest pain.

Stress affects adults and children in different ways and, even if severe, it is too often neglected or underestimated. Stress lowers our ability to fight the very infectious diseases that become more common during these times. High and continuous stress can lead to dangerous depression. It's best to get a medical opinion.

IN GENERAL

Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say, and it's just a matter of time before things return to normal. Meanwhile, amid the dreadful current hardships, it is essential to stay focused on healthy living.

Do your best to maintain a proper diet, to take special care of the skin if exposed to floodwater, and - in the interest of managing your stress as much as possible - to maintain your compassion. It is by no means inappropriate to engage family and neighbours in some fun pastimes to keep their spirits up.

Dr Lalande, The Nation's Health Matters columnist, is managing director of CEO-Health, which provides medical referrals for expatriates in Thailand. He can be contacted at [email protected].

Flood hotlines

1669 - Ambulance and medical assistance from the Public Health Ministry’s Emergency Medical Services.

1111 press 5, 1131 - Flood Help Centre at the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC). Or call (02) 241 1749, (02) 504 3569 and (02) 534 1911.

(02) 504 3027 - For English at FROC.

(090) 418 052529 - The Mirror Foundation, an NGO coordinating floodrelief with FROC.

4567892: Free emergency SMS provided by the ICT Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-27

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now at the Ramkhamhaeng Stadium there are around 1000+ people relocated from Don Muang/Thamasat area. There are so many cases of infections etc that people are being transported to hospitals hourly by volunteer rescue workers but the rescue workers say its not working out since some government hospitals are becoming "difficult" about accepting patients since there is no government policy on this right now.

The workers are already tired and are having to pay for the transport costs themselves. Consequently the amount of volunteers is diminishing daily (This was also reported from Don Muang).

Also some hospitals have said they would send staff and vehicles to help but they have not turned up as yet. (Director of the Sports Stadium told me this).

Under the SOE, the Red Cross would take over and could better manage the situation as they have done in the past. It's a pity they can't bypass the SOE rule and let the Red Cross do the good job they normally do in coordinating all government and NGO services.

As mentioned in the article, I think the true emergency of these floods will be post floods. After only one day in the water I had skin rashes. People are spending hours daily in the water traveling or helping. In many areas after dark mosquitoes are in there billions, I stayed in the water to avoid getting bitten only my face was uncovered and I spent the whole time swatting them just to be able to breathe without inhaling some, and then in the back of my mind were thoughts of snakes (and to a lesser extent crocodiles) in the waters around me.

Terrible conditions for people. I can't imagine people in Ayutthya have been living in these conditions for a month now. My heart really goes out to them.

The Doctor is right is warning about flood health problems, but an even greater threat is the 100 serious mold-related illnesses people can suffer after living in the flooded houses after the war recedes in view of the massive mold growth that is going to happen in the flooded homes and buildings. Read about the top 100 mold health symptoms and illnesses on the mold health website http://www.moldinspector.com

Right now at the Ramkhamhaeng Stadium there are around 1000+ people relocated from Don Muang/Thamasat area. There are so many cases of infections etc that people are being transported to hospitals hourly by volunteer rescue workers but the rescue workers say its not working out since some government hospitals are becoming "difficult" about accepting patients since there is no government policy on this right now.

The workers are already tired and are having to pay for the transport costs themselves. Consequently the amount of volunteers is diminishing daily (This was also reported from Don Muang).

Also some hospitals have said they would send staff and vehicles to help but they have not turned up as yet. (Director of the Sports Stadium told me this).

Under the SOE, the Red Cross would take over and could better manage the situation as they have done in the past. It's a pity they can't bypass the SOE rule and let the Red Cross do the good job they normally do in coordinating all government and NGO services.

As mentioned in the article, I think the true emergency of these floods will be post floods. After only one day in the water I had skin rashes. People are spending hours daily in the water traveling or helping. In many areas after dark mosquitoes are in there billions, I stayed in the water to avoid getting bitten only my face was uncovered and I spent the whole time swatting them just to be able to breathe without inhaling some, and then in the back of my mind were thoughts of snakes (and to a lesser extent crocodiles) in the waters around me.

Terrible conditions for people. I can't imagine people in Ayutthya have been living in these conditions for a month now. My heart really goes out to them.

Send money or supplies not your empty heart. My very very very very very very HI SO pure Chinese wife and I have given nearly one million but that is nothing compared to her very very very very very very very rich rich pure Chinese family. So please give

Send money or supplies not your empty heart. My very very very very very very HI SO pure Chinese wife and I have given nearly one million but that is nothing compared to her very very very very very very very rich rich pure Chinese family. So please give

Very generous Hazza. Lucky you have a Chinese wife...this time ;)

Don't be so self-righteous! Not all on this forum are rich. I'm lucky if I can get through the month without having to borrow a few thousand Baht from neighbours. When my house was under 3m of water in April all we got was a 5000B government handout for repairs and to replace all my ruined possessions and a 5 kilo bag of rice. What's the point of sending money when the people who need it don't even see it. Send something more useful like baby milk and clothes

When I see Thai people donating to Western countries when they have disasters I'll follow their lead. I get a little tired of be told how terrible I am all the time and then I'm expected to shell out money to a country that frankly does nothing for me unless I pay for it.

Wait a minute; thai government REFUSE help from the US navy and we, foreigners, should donate?Is this total insanity????.....

When I see Thai people donating to Western countries when they have disasters I'll follow their lead. I get a little tired of be told how terrible I am all the time and then I'm expected to shell out money to a country that frankly does nothing for me unless I pay for it.

These days it's not easy to detect who is joking, who is serious, who is real, who is fake, what is sarcasm.

It is an unfortunate fact that only a fraction (less than half) of donations to charities actually goes toward helping people.

Most goes toward salaries, even for volunteer organizations (only the lowest rung of members work for free).

It's not so easy for charity organizers to divert services.

But even goods can be skewed.

His Majesty the King is quietly donating millions in food aid.

But some of it is being repackaged to give recipients the impression it came from other sources.

That is really low.

From the news I hear, only white hats this time around (much to the dismay of the PM) is the Thai Army.

They are helping the people and also the big Japanese investors by using their big equipment and trucks to rescue not only people but large pieces of manufacturing equipment.

God bless the King and God bless the Thai Army.

They are DOING something and they are doing really HELPFUL things and doing SENSIBLE things.

I've heard nothing but good and positive things since the beginning regarding both those institutions.

And I didn't ask or prompt anyone.

People just GUSH their appreciation for the few people really doing things.

HRH the youngest princess was out telling people how to stay healthy and avoid disease LONG before this doc said anything.

And she was out there telling them personally, not writing stories in the English language Nation for people to buy -- if they can read English and if they have any money left.

The King even told the people who came to save the palaces that palaces come AFTER the people and they should go help the suffering HUMANS before property.

This debacle is clearly showing who are the WHITE HATS and who are the BLACK HATS and who have the black hearts.

The EM balls for cleaning up standing water was a brilliant idea. Who proposed that one?

There are plenty of smart Thais willing to help if the gangsters and their cronies would just get outta the way.

Mosquitoes? Here where I live and its flooded, I have been surprised by the lack of them. I do keep my doors shut to keep them out of the house and my bedroom, but as stated in the article, most breeding grounds have been swept away.

Don't know where you are living, but here the water is about 40+ inches high and going up day by day.

I also see lots and lots of fish around my house which is helping with the mosquito problem.

Lets hope this finishes soon.

Robert: The mosquitoes are not where I live (in Klong Toei), but where I went to help in the North area of Bangkok near Nonta Buri. I guess because its been flooded there the longest there are so many mosquitoes. I don't really know why there were so many, I'm just telling you that's what I found there.

Plumeria: Agree with your comment about money in foundations getting diverted. Donate GOODS, not money. (As Jirapa suggested), but even then we have all seen the huge stockpiles sitting at FROC going nowhere, its hard to know who to donate to... I guess just do it and hope for the best, I'm sure it will get to someone somehow:)

Kun Matt: Agree 200% :lol:

Harryfrompattaya: Unfortunately I don't have a rich wife but I have been working as a volunteer for 11 years now in Thailand. Despite my low salary I have probably donated (or spent) over 1million baht on helping others. I have zero savings as a result.

I'm up at 6am everyday helping people in the floods and home again at midnight... I do not have an empty heart...

Amen!

These days it's not easy to detect who is joking, who is serious, who is real, who is fake, what is sarcasm.

It is an unfortunate fact that only a fraction (less than half) of donations to charities actually goes toward helping people.

Most goes toward salaries, even for volunteer organizations (only the lowest rung of members work for free).

But some of it is being repackaged to give recipients the impression it came from other sources.

That is really low.

From the news I hear, only white hats this time around (much to the dismay of the PM) is the Thai Army.

They are helping the people and also the big Japanese investors by using their big equipment and trucks to rescue not only people but large pieces of manufacturing equipment.

They are DOING something and they are doing really HELPFUL things and doing SENSIBLE things.

I've heard nothing but good and positive things since the beginning regarding both those institutions.

HRH the youngest princess was out telling people how to stay healthy and avoid disease LONG before this doc said anything.

And she was out there telling them personally, not writing stories in the English language Nation for people to buy -- if they can read English and if they have any money left.

The King even told the people who came to save the palaces that palaces come AFTER the people and they should go help the suffering HUMANS before property.

This debacle is clearly showing who are the WHITE HATS and who are the BLACK HATS and who have the black hearts.

The EM balls for cleaning up standing water was a brilliant idea. Who proposed that one?

There are plenty of smart Thais willing to help if the gangsters and their cronies would just get outta the way.

No very logic US navy wanted to help for free, with water, supplies, helicopter etc etc.

Where is the profit on this?

But when foreigner donate MONEY (not baby food)only a fraction will end at the people. all other can go into some pockets

Wait a minute; thai government REFUSE help from the US navy and we, foreigners, should donate?Is this total insanity????.....

Robert: The mosquitoes are not where I live (in Klong Toei), but where I went to help in the North area of Bangkok near Nonta Buri. I guess because its been flooded there the longest there are so many mosquitoes. I don't really know why there were so many, I'm just telling you that's what I found there.

Plumeria: Agree with your comment about money in foundations getting diverted. Donate GOODS, not money. (As Jirapa suggested), but even then we have all seen the huge stockpiles sitting at FROC going nowhere, its hard to know who to donate to... I guess just do it and hope for the best, I'm sure it will get to someone somehow:)

Harryfrompattaya: Unfortunately I don't have a rich wife but I have been working as a volunteer for 11 years now in Thailand. Despite my low salary I have probably donated (or spent) over 1million baht on helping others. I have zero savings as a result.

I'm up at 6am everyday helping people in the floods and home again at midnight... I do not have an empty heart...

Thanks Pogai!

You sir are an all star!

What you are doing is wonderful Thailand needs more like you. Like my father use to say you maybe not be rich but you are rich in spirit.

Cholera is caused by 'fecal to oral' contact, such as happens in a flood when sewage contaminates water supplies.

Antibiotics by themselves won't save a cholera patient. Patients can die within hours or days if they aren't rehydrated.

Mix 1 teaspoon salt with 8 teaspoons sugar in a liter of clean water. Patient may have to drink many liters per day to match loss through diarrhea. If water is dirty, strain, then boil. If no fuel for boiling, strain, then add 2 drops bleach to liter of water. Rice soup (and other carbohydrates) can substitute for the 'sugar' part but salt must be added. Solution should taste no more salty than tears. Patient must drink at least as much salt/sugar solution as they are losing through diarrhea.

detailed instructions can be found by clicking here: Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) - Rehydration Project

Cholera is caused by 'fecal to oral' contact, such as happens in a flood when sewage contaminates water supplies. Antibiotics by themselves won't save a cholera patient. Patients can die within hours or days if they aren't rehydrated. Mix 1 teaspoon salt with 8 teaspoons sugar in a liter of clean water. Patient may have to drink many liters per day to match loss through diarrhea. If water is dirty, strain, then boil. If no fuel for boiling, strain, then add 2 drops bleach to liter of water. Rice soup (and other carbohydrates) can substitute for the 'sugar' part but salt must be added. Solution should taste no more salty than tears. Patient must drink at least as much salt/sugar solution as they are losing through diarrhea.detailed instructions can be found by clicking here: Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) - Rehydration Project

I seem to recall that you can buy ready mixed and flavoured packets of ORT formula in most pharmacies (I might be wrong). Worth a look if you still have the chance.

I seem to recall that you can buy ready mixed and flavoured packets of ORT formula in most pharmacies (I might be wrong). Worth a look if you still have the chance.

Yes, usually about 5 Baht per packet.

Even a sports rehydration like Sponsor drink can help.

Talked to my Thai Wife re; sending monies to help

He reply was not to give any money to official; agencies

If you have a farang friend who is visiting or living in Thailand

Sent the money to him

ask him to give the money to Thai people direct and take a photo

It will help them 1000%, and a grateful smile they will show will make your day worth while

any agency just ties monies up and very little filters down to the people in need

That is really low.

...and how i wish, I could answer to this...

That is really low.

...and how i wish, I could answer to this...

Me too.

Some people really fall hook line and sinker...

In extremis a sprite or coke (stir or shake out the gas) with a large pinch of salt is a great rehydration treatment if no access to safe water or rehydration salts/solution

If the water is clean, soda manao would ebe perfect

This thread has certainly drifted :)Does anyone know of a supplier of cheap waders in Bangkok?Or any NGO willing to import and distribute some for free?They would certainly help reduce the risk to aid workers and others who are often in the flood water.

The thing that worries me at the moment is the number of dead is increasing each day - over 500 people have passed away with flood-related causes - and there are no details published. Sure there are elecrocutions, drownings etc. but what about the rest? Is it being kept quiet?