All Bangkok Districts To Be Flooded If Klong Sam Wa's Sluice Gate Further Opened: Deputy Governor

webfact

This is why the Emergency needed to be declared.

This rash action by a mob was a forgone conclusion.

And nothing is strong enough to stand up to it at the present juncture.

Flood control can NOT EVER be left to the mercurial whims of enraged Mobs.

Or to politicians who have no bloody clue what they're talking about. It's madness that it's politicians who decide which gates to open, which gates to close, etc. Get some experts in, give the all the decision making power they need, and have them fix it. Letting politics determine the outcome results in the mess we currently have, and will only get worse if they keep it up.

By experts you mean foreigners as there are no experts in Thailand. And as that would mean loss of face for the government in their eyes, it will not happen. They will rather drown their citizens.

We all know that what should be done and what will be done are more often than not 2 different things in Thailand. As you pointed out, Thailand does not have the necessary knowledge to tackle this problem, either short term or long term. If they refuse to get the necessary expertise in from outside, we will have a repeat of all this nonsense before too long.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

With Bangkok making up around 40% of the GDP of Thailand, it's understandable they're trying to protect it. The damage is already done in the surrounding areas, does it really have to get even worse? It's terrible for the locals who are now up to their waste in water, but forcing more of Bangkok to flood will not lessen their damage, and will cripple the Thai economy even further.

Besides that, it's pretty insane that the government is allowing local people to affect their plans so much. Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists.... Someone needs to take charge and look at the bigger picture, then enforce the plan for the greater good of the country. If the local police can't handle it, have the army protect the sluice gates and dams....

40% of that GDP is not from central bkk. Most of the industry is located in the suburbs like pathum thani, nonthaburi and thonburi.

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

Well said Just1 !!! I would say 69 years though as that was the last REAL large flood IMO

Edited by scotbeve

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

Read my lips: BECAUSE IT WON'T LESSEN ANYTHING! You may have 1, 2 or 3 days less of the flood, but your house will not dry out in an instant. Instead you are flooding business areas that keep sh@tting money for the whole country, right now. You will most likely flood one more industrial estate, loose more jobs. You will risk flooding Swampy, which will bring Bangkok...no, Thailand to a screeching halt. You will swap away more jobs, more houses, more businesses. It will hurt the economy in a way you (obviously) can not grasp. It will most likely NOT HURT the elite, the rich, the powerful, but the poor and (and now read very carefully) it will make things for you MUCH worse than they are now!

If anything, those rich owners if a specific cement company will make money - not lose - from more people having to re-build their houses due to flooding and mold etc, and will not be hurt in the end on Bangkok being flooded. But everyone of my neighbors will. (And most around here has relatives up country, just an FYI.)

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

What kind of world are you living in? Most of my Thai friends have used their hard earned cash for donations to Red Cross and local flood relief organization. My gf alone have given 3,000 Baht out of a salary around 20,000. How much have you given?

I got in trouble for bragging about the millions my wife I and her family have given. I realize I was wrong to brag so please stop bragging.

Are you a commie besides bragging.

Can anyone point this floodgate out on a map ? I'm looking for it.

Maybe ... http://maps.google.c...Sam+Wa&t=m&z=12

Thanks,

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

I agree but.......lots of those people get their money from selling goods in bangkok or their kids working there and sending home money. Cant have it both ways or you can, have your house flooded either way, but if Bangkok dry then some income too help

Mr. Lost in LOS. No need to read any other commentary regading logistics. You got it. There is not any ideal solution available. P.S. The footer that your message has on lawyers-great!

If anything, those rich owners if a specific cement company will make money - not lose - from more people having to re-build their houses due to flooding and mold etc, and will not be hurt in the end on Bangkok being flooded. But everyone of my neighbors will. (And most around here has relatives up country, just an FYI.)

Real estate developers, construction related companies, and building material industries will be having a banner year.

Guess which families own the majority of real estate and building material industries. :rolleyes:

At least the people will be able to take out loans to rebuild their homes and buy new appliances. How generous. I can't wait to see what sort of interest rate is involved.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is now at risk of being inundated now that Govt is forcing open the sluice gate at Khlong Sam Wa./via@thanongK

Thanong is also tweeting

@ThanongK Thanong

So far Govt has not attempted to shift water to the eastern part of BKK at all. Water keeps piling up in Pathum and N. BKK.

which seems to be where this floodgate is.

what a perfect time for Chuwit to step in - cant believe it but i have a strong feeling our next PM could very well be him - this mess will not be forgotten quickly

The spin after the floods will begin soon...

I can fully sympathise with these people, I am now into the second week of waist deep water, and with every none metal or plastic piece of furniture ruined, not to mention 2 submerged aircon compressors and walls covered in slime, plus the all pervading sewer smell. They have endured this three times longer than me! I think many here have no idea what this is like.

We are suffering to protect inner Bangkok, but is Bangkok grateful, will they help us refurnish and repair our homes? Obviously as a farang that is out of the question, but what about the Thais?

Just what is being protected that is so important, inner Bangkok is a commercial centre, yes a nexus of head offices, but what use are they with their up country factories and manufacturing bases destroyed. Just tell me in simple language just what is so vital in inner Bangkok that my home is ruined? Then convince the Thais in my area.

These people live from week to week, unlike the salaried elite in Bangkok, how can they start again from scratch, how will they cope with the filth and destruction of their communities. Bangkok has a lot to answer for, I hope they have some damned good answers.

If your house is in fire and your next door neighbour is spraying his house to cool it down to prevent the fire from spreading to his house. You call your neighbour selfish, and you want his house burn to the ground too.

10 million people in flooded is bad. Perhaps you want to make it 20 million people in flood, to make the 1st 10 million people feel better.

An unfair analogy..

10 million for 6 weeks or 20 million for 2 weeks..

Its a question of sharing the risk, clearing waters as fast as possible, yet trying not to flood bangkok dramatically.

If bangkok now doesnt flood, and the opening of this gate does speed up the drainage of the area now flooded, it will be the right course of action. Se3ems bangkokians dont want to take any risk, by virtue of the 'we are more important' card, thereby guaranteeing more pain for others, while they only have 'risk'.

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

How true, too late for this time, lets hope the government takes positive steps to minimize the chances of the same happening in the future.

With Bangkok making up around 40% of the GDP of Thailand, it's understandable they're trying to protect it. The damage is already done in the surrounding areas, does it really have to get even worse? It's terrible for the locals who are now up to their waste in water, but forcing more of Bangkok to flood will not lessen their damage, and will cripple the Thai economy even further.

Besides that, it's pretty insane that the government is allowing local people to affect their plans so much. Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists.... Someone needs to take charge and look at the bigger picture, then enforce the plan for the greater good of the country. If the local police can't handle it, have the army protect the sluice gates and dams....

we need big brother TS here.

he would have cleaned up the flood water and bottled it by now

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food, shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

Thailand is a rich country????, it ranks 86 to 93 in the world if you google it, that is not a rich country, I must be seeing things that are not there when I go to Tesco Lotus, Big C, Carryfour, and other places, I see big clear bins full of donated money and lots of donated food parcels, see many donation of food being given out on TV, Yours is just another Thai Phobia posting, maybe a handful of anti Thai phobia pills, the equivalent of a Bex powder is today, cup of tea and a good lie down for about six to eight weeks may help you a bit.

40% of that GDP is not from central bkk. Most of the industry is located in the suburbs like pathum thani, nonthaburi and thonburi.

I agree, published records clearly show that exports provided 66% of GDP in 2010, this is the flooded Industrial zones and farm land. Tourisum as a percentage of total GDP is only 6%. I think I would be protecting the industry that creates jobs and pays the tax needed for the recovery mode.

Lets not go overboard.. They didnt smash the gates open.. the gates were raised from 80cm to 1m.. A 20% increase..

A 20% increase in one sluice gate is being blamed for coming Armageddon.. Looks far more like a power play to me, bangkok governor wanting to take no risk, to focus only on his problem and no one elses.

We dont know (with the information given) that 20% increase in one sluice gate will play out.. It may be the best for ALL parties and bangkok still doesn't get flooded.

Lets not go overboard.. They didnt smash the gates open.. the gates were raised from 80cm to 1m.. A 20% increase..

The mob was filmed on TV trying to smash the gates open with sledge hammers

I wish people would stop politizing this flood. Look at the Mississippi River flood. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had to flood 12,000 square kilometers to save Baton Rouge and New Orleans. This is a national tragedy for Thailand. Political carping is not helpful - so Farangs should offer support, not criticism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Mississippi_River_floods

A 20% increase in one sluice gate is being blamed for coming Armageddon.. Looks far more like a power play to me, bangkok governor wanting to take no risk, to focus only on his problem and no one elses.

We dont know (with the information given) that 20% increase in one sluice gate will play out.. It may be the best for ALL parties and bangkok still doesn't get flooded.

My issue with this is that such decisions should not be political ones. It is absolutely ridiculous that the PM would get involved in the nuts and bolts of disaster control. She should be supporting the technical officials trying to contain the damage, not undermining their decisions. That way lies madness.

Going from 80 cm to 100 cm is a 25% increase - at least the way I learned math.

What is probably a significant aspect is whether opening of this particular sluice gate is later reversible. I have no knowledge about this, one way or the other. If it is definitely reversible, then increasing the flow should probably be tried - to see what effect this has on both sides of the gate.

If it is a one way decision - with no ability to later close it back up a bit - then the decision should probably be to only increase the flow in small, incremental steps. In that scenario, a 25% increase in one fell swoop seems a bit excessive.

The mob was filmed on TV trying to smash the gates open with sledge hammers

Its probably fair to say that this angry mob didn't consist of irrigation and flood control experts.

That is the crux of this issue. Is there going to be a panel of real experts organising the drainage, or is it just left to mob rule?

Ok, so now we know that floods were largely caused by mismanagement of reservoirs, with a certain MP even admitting that he ordered water not to be drained during the upcountry heavy rain. Typical politician, thinking of the juicy rice-pledging scheme and the possible rewards. I think its time to leave this mess to the real experts to solve. Time to stand back politcians.

If your house is in fire and your next door neighbour is spraying his house to cool it down to prevent the fire from spreading to his house. You call your neighbour selfish, and you want his house burn to the ground too.

10 million people in flooded is bad. Perhaps you want to make it 20 million people in flood, to make the 1st 10 million people feel better.

An unfair analogy..

Its a question of sharing the risk, clearing waters as fast as possible, yet trying not to flood bangkok dramatically.

If bangkok now doesnt flood, and the opening of this gate does speed up the drainage of the area now flooded, it will be the right course of action. Se3ems bangkokians dont want to take any risk, by virtue of the 'we are more important' card, thereby guaranteeing more pain for others, while they only have 'risk'.

Where did you pull out the "10 million, 6 weeks OR 20 million and 2 weeks" numbers from?

By the way, see the news thread: "2.1 million people (718,607 families) are hard-hit."

How many people are you willing to push into the 'hard-hit' category to feel better? Remembering that Bangkok Yai has some reported 12 million people all totaled up (some already hit).

An unfair analogy..

Actually, it's currently 2.5 million (for 4-6 weeks) and if Bangkok floods it would be another 8-10 million for 4-6 weeks. What makes you think they could clear the water in 2 weeks?

An unfair analogy..

Where did you pull out the "10 million, 6 weeks OR 20 million and 2 weeks" numbers from?

By the way, see the news thread: "2.1 million people (718,607 families) are hard-hit."

How many people are you willing to push into the 'hard-hit' category to feel better? Remembering that Bangkok Yai has some reported 12 million people all totaled up (some already hit).

On the 12 Millions of bangkokians, how many are just here for a job, their belongings in Bangkok can be summarised to a TV and a bike, plus few clothes, total not exceeding 100,000 TBT but they keep a house in their village and few rais of paddies. These are where are their real assets , -not in Bangkok-. So please, make the difference between "Bangkokians".

Instead to continue to develop Bangkok at a high cost, better and safer to decentralise (How many kilometers of train can we develop in the upcountry compare to 1km of MRT?)

Socially people will be happy to find a job nearby their village and industries will find some better locations less prone to flooding, the infrastructure should permit to solve the transportation issue at minimum costs (and time)

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

A divided country a divided city. All this fake pulling together

Armed mobs trying to pull down dykes, while incompetent leaders issue contradictory commands and reports

The fractiousness on display is simply appalling.Thai people really need to work together to get through this and minimise damage

But politicans seem happy playing one group off against another, and regrettably some people (hopefully a minority) are happy to participate.

I have been in a number of nations while they have suffered disasters ( earthquakes, fire and floods)

Often there is this kind of petty game playing, but I never hever seen it done so openly or people led so badly

Work together people. Work together!

An unfair analogy..

On the 12 Millions of bangkokians, how many are just here for a job, their belongings in Bangkok can be summarised to a TV and a bike, plus few clothes, total not exceeding 100,000 TBT but they keep a house in their village and few rais of paddies. These are is where are their assets , not in Bangkok. So please, make the difference between "Bangkokians".

Instead to continue to develop Bangkok at a high cost, better and safer to decentralise (How many kilometers of train can we develop in the upcountry compare to 1km of MRT?)

Socially people will be happy to find a job nearby their village and industries will find some better locations less prone to flooding, the infrastructure should permit to solve the transportation issue at minimum costs (and time)

That's correct, let's move the parliament to Red Village #2 build a bullet train and an international airport in the middle of rice paddies. Let move the people to the food instead of the food to the people - like the logic. Put 10 million carnivores on a rice paddy with 500 cows and pigs to go around and it will be fun for awhile. Then widen the rivers to allow an international port to be built in Udon Thani.

Ok, guys, calm down and think a little, if the Sluice gates will be further opened and it will lower the water level in certain districts but at the cost of Suvarnabhumi will have to shut down, meaning Thailand will lose all it´s contact to the rest of the world.

This means we are all <Snip!>, is that so hard to understand? dry.gif

Edited by metisdead
Expletive removed.

"These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. "

They could move. Repeating the same action without positive result is a sign of idiocy.