Route North -

CWMcMurray

Took the kids to live with the in-laws in Packchong (Khao Yai) area until the flood situation is better in BKK, yesterday.

Took the below route ad no flooding on the roads below (although traffic was quite heavy)

- Chonburi Express Way (route 7)

- Exit Chachoensao Rd

- Take Route 314 to Route 304

- Follow Route 304 to Route 319

- Follow Route 319 to Route 33

- Follow Route 33 to Route 1

- Enter Route 1 just a few km south of Saraburi

Also important to note that all of the normal road signs are well displayed along the route with English language..

There have also been new signs added sowing "Detour" signs for destinations of Nakorn Ratchisima and for Saraburi, but these signs are all in Thai language.

That being said, if you are heading that way, the detour signs are not really needed as the normal signs with route numbers are very visible. I left at 3am, so was still very dark out and did not have any trouble seeing them.

I'd have made one change to your routing:

-- 319 up to Prachin Buri, fine, then

-- 320 through town up to the junction with 33 at the roundabout, then

-- 3077 north right up through the Khao Yai Park, and down the north side into Pak Chong.

I split from our place east of Rangsit on 305 at Klong 10 on 22 October, was getting foot troubles what with all the water. Headed east on 305 to Nakhon Nayok, picked up 33 there, east to the roundabout north of Prachin Buri, then north over the Park.

Only modification was that I was headed to 30 km north of Muak Lek, so took 1016 after exiting the Park's north gate, down to Muak Lek, then 30 km north on 2273 to our bungalow. Got two of our kids here, been back home a couple of times, wife is watching the water, not real bad, just not a lot of fun.

Mac

I'd have made one change to your routing:

-- 319 up to Prachin Buri, fine, then

-- 320 through town up to the junction with 33 at the roundabout, then

-- 3077 north right up through the Khao Yai Park, and down the north side into Pak Chong.

I split from our place east of Rangsit on 305 at Klong 10 on 22 October, was getting foot troubles what with all the water. Headed east on 305 to Nakhon Nayok, picked up 33 there, east to the roundabout north of Prachin Buri, then north over the Park.

Only modification was that I was headed to 30 km north of Muak Lek, so took 1016 after exiting the Park's north gate, down to Muak Lek, then 30 km north on 2273 to our bungalow. Got two of our kids here, been back home a couple of times, wife is watching the water, not real bad, just not a lot of fun.

Mac

I tried this today, the distance is less, but the total driving time was about 20 min longer than going through Saraburi.

I believe this may because 3077 is a one lane road all the way and once you enter Khao Yai there are lot of twists and turns, so difficult to travel quickly or pass those moving slowly. While the 33 to route 1 is two or three lanes the whole way, so 120 the whole way...

That being said, it has been a while since I drove through the park, so it was a very nice drive and worth the extra 20 min each way.

fyi...

When entering the south entrance of Khao Yai, all cars were waived through no charge or checking, but at the north entrance on the way back the were stopping cars at the gate. Thais and Thai resident foreigners did not need to pay any admission. I showed my Thai drivers license and they waived us through.

anyone know about the current state of the roads from swampy out to saraburi directly then on the main road up from there?

arriving wednesday morning and heading to pak chong....

realise the above posts cover this somewhat, but i am unfamiliar with the numbered roads and so on - i just know the road i always go is the direct route from swampy to korat. out bang pa in i think - wang noi - sara - hin kong - muak lek - pak chong ....

any info graterfully received - thx!

Edited by GooEng