How Can 7/11 Be So Well Managed ? How To Manage People The Same Way ?

frenchfarangjomtien

Hi,

I only wonder how can 7/11 main franchise company manage all the shops so well ?

Do they have very strict rules saying that if your shop is not clean and employees do not greet customers the owner will loose his shop ?

And even if rules are strict how can 7/11 shops owner be able to control employees with a so low salary in a country where there no unemployment ? I mean that no other shops in Thailand, even franchises, seem to be managed as well as Seven Eleven, so they must have secrets ? A secret that family mart doesn't share...

Most of the time in thailand even if you pay your employees more that 7/11 staff they won't even smile at you, so no need to think that they will greet customers...

There must be a secret ! Do they have stock options ? :-)

If you never wondered about this just try to think why you have never seen a dirty 7/11, why it never happened that you don't get your "Sawasdee krap" even in the middle of the night, why nothing is negative about 7/11, why.... ?

This business is incredible, and it's even shocking in relax Thailand that someone can manage his business so well !

They maintain a lot of control over the franchise branches. Something like a 45% cut out of the gross automatically goes to CP. So that's like having a near 50% partner with her hands on your um.... purse strings all the time.

Now the franchise B branches.... those are slightly less well run. But you don't really notice them because they typically are in slummy or bad parts of town (which is why you were allowed to get the franchise in the first place).

:)

they have secret shoppers, also , being corporate, they have easy guidelines to follow, structures to maintain .... they keep it KISS for the staff so really there is no way it could go wrong for them

CP holds the franchise for Thailand. The ultimate owner of the franchise (abroad) is (like all highly successful franchise owners) very strict on complying with the franchise rules, which are expressed in great detail.

Decades ago the 7/11 ultimate brand owners did their homework and got is all well laid out and very clear.

CP needs to follow the rules to the letter because they know:

- A discoved transgression will incur a big fine from the ultimate brand owner and will mean that the brand owner 'watches' even more carefully.

- Two serious transgressions usually means cancellation of the francise.

- CP know well that there are several other local companies who could (if they got the opportunity) take up the francise and do it well.

- Many years ago 7/11 did a lot of serious analysis of what behaviors (shop assistants behaviors) pleases customers. They now use this as part of their recruitment of new staff.

This. - Basically everyone who works at 7-11 has to go through some pretty rigorous business training before they start on day one. Depending on the amount of education you do at PIM, you can move up the ranks from store manger to regional manager and whatnot pretty quickly

Most of the staff are women.

That eliminates allot of problems.

I have been in business here and would never hire a Thai guy for anything.

Well, my 7/11 has approx. 1/3 women, 1/3 men and 1/3 something between, but all work well.

You think they are well managed? THat is not my experience. I think they staff are generally not helpful, prefer to fart about on the floor behind the tills and not notice customers, dont open a second till to get the customers on they way. Even when we had the floods they thought it was more important to to do a stock take and ignore the customers, put what they counted into a box and would not sell the contents. Do you remember the toasted sandwiches they sell in the fridges? I liked the cheese and ham and the number of times I would go in and "no have" (return to chat with friend/7-11 employee) , then one day I went to a 7-11 and " you not have cheese and Ham?" The lady opened the fridge behind the till, got out the ham and the cheese and made me one! I remember that because it does not happen often. I buy very little there wherever I am in Thailand as the service I find is pretty poor and I can also get the same things cheaper at the local mum and dad shop.

Sorry I dont share your views here but I used to work in a shop in England and if they tried the same tactics there they would not survive, it did not take take long for them leave.

You think they are well managed? THat is not my experience. I think they staff are generally not helpful, prefer to fart about on the floor behind the tills and not notice customers, dont open a second till to get the customers on they way. Even when we had the floods they thought it was more important to to do a stock take and ignore the customers, put what they counted into a box and would not sell the contents. Do you remember the toasted sandwiches they sell in the fridges? I liked the cheese and ham and the number of times I would go in and "no have" (return to chat with friend/7-11 employee) , then one day I went to a 7-11 and " you not have cheese and Ham?" The lady opened the fridge behind the till, got out the ham and the cheese and made me one! I remember that because it does not happen often. I buy very little there wherever I am in Thailand as the service I find is pretty poor and I can also get the same things cheaper at the local mum and dad shop.

Sorry I dont share your views here but I used to work in a shop in England and if they tried the same tactics there they would not survive, it did not take take long for them leave.

OK..but I bet the Mum and dad shops do not have toasted cheese & ham sarnies...:rolleyes:

OK..but I bet the Mum and dad shops do not have toasted cheese & ham sarnies...:rolleyes:

Thats true, neither have 7-11 for about 5 weeks so I have now been able cure my addicition!!!:jap:

I don't find the 7/11 well managed in the customer service areas, though they may be will run otherwise. The outfit that does that best customer service is easily Starbucks. The level of employee training and customer relations is outstanding and way above any other service/retail business in Thailand.

TH

When I compare the customer service of 7-11 in Thailand vs 7-11 in Japan, Japan wins by a considerable margin.

• Usually when 3 or more people are in line, another register will be opened right away. Even if a staff member is working on inventory/cleaning he/she will drop what they are doing to take care of the customer.
  • Change from purchase is always counted back to you.
  • The register is not cluttered with impulse items.
  • Your cash is not placed into the till until after you receive your change. No issues with currency denomination.

The difference in Thailand's favor is that sometimes the staff will be up for a joke or an additional smile. With Japan, things can get a little robotic, but everything will flow smoothly.

They open the second cashier point according to the procedures they are taught which are not flexible, and from my understanding there is logic in their protocol, some of it to do with security. And the policy / procedures is obviously made at a higher level and very probably dictated to some extent by the 7/11 brand owner in Japan.

Edited by scorecard

When I compare the customer service of 7-11 in Thailand vs 7-11 in Japan, Japan wins by a considerable margin.

• Usually when 3 or more people are in line, another register will be opened right away. Even if a staff member is working on inventory/cleaning he/she will drop what they are doing to take care of the customer.
  • Change from purchase is always counted back to you.
  • The register is not cluttered with impulse items.
  • Your cash is not placed into the till until after you receive your change. No issues with currency denomination.

The difference in Thailand's favor is that sometimes the staff will be up for a joke or an additional smile. With Japan, things can get a little robotic, but everything will flow smoothly.

In Japan 7/11 have more serious competition (e.g. Watsons) compared to their competition here in Thailand. Family Mart is I guess the closest and their service is less than woeful.

Family Mart have a small branch on the side of the First Hotel (corner of Petchaburi Soi 11 in Bkk), you want to see world class rudeness from C store staff, go visit this one, most of the staff would win international awards for rudeness, abruptness and total failure and refusal to be helpful in any way.

Edited by scorecard

In Japan 7/11 have more serious competition (e.g. Watsons)...

Suppose you mean Lawson. Haven't seen any Watsons in Japan, they have Family Mart there as well though. And you're right, the competition keeps them all on their toes.

OMG...if he hates 7/11 service THAT much imagine how he feels about the rest of Thailand! :lol:

Time to go home? :rolleyes:

OMG...if he hates 7/11 service THAT much imagine how he feels about the rest of Thailand! :lol:

Time to go home? :rolleyes:

They arrived in the UK when they opened from 7-11 when few others did. High prices and nothing to make you go there saw them go from the UK quickly. I shop there here only when I have no option, Prices high, stock availabilty is poor ( often out the back in the "warehouse" but cant be bothered to fill the shelves), ignore customers why would I want to give them my business if I can find a better option?

Well run, well run my arse!

Oh and just for th e record I am in my home. There is a lot more to Thailand than 7-11

Edited by nong38

wait for it..

wait for it

They care about their image and understand that happy customer = more money and that a clean shop cost less in the future(and also takes less long to clean the next clean up day)

Not very hard to understand unless you're thai.

wait for it..

wait for it

They care about their image and understand that happy customer = more money and that a clean shop cost less in the future(and also takes less long to clean the next clean up day)

Not very hard to understand unless you're thai.

God dam_n it, Gump! You're a god dam_n genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump.

What I want to know is this. Is the OP a 7-11 Franchise owner in Jontiem or he trying to sell one? I have just been to 2 of their outlets and not a bag of sugar to be seen, stock levels appauling, if the local shop is full of stock what wrong at 7-11?

Poor availability, poor service= poor shop.

Do you have a guarantee of a nice smile and a wai and nice attitude in every mom and pop shop? And do they always have every item that who might ask for? No.