Hospital Recommendation

susanschwaiger

Hi,

We used the Pattaya International for the pre-natal stuff, scans etc.. quite cheap and always in and out with no delays.

We then switched to a freelance doctor (Dr Supanee, Pottisarn Road) for a planned C-Section at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

The cost of the C-Section was 40K THB, included everything including 4 nights stay.

It may seem cheap but when it comes to this sort of thing, you have the opportunity to shop around in advance so the hospitals are very competitive.

C-section is a very serious procedure and should only be used if real danger is predicted.

Many private hospitals suggest it, as they can make a lot more money.

One reason not to use private hospitals.

If the lady is Thai, why not give the local government hospital a go.

Free apart from optional extras (like private room or vitamin supplements)

My total hospital costs in a government hospital were. (2 months ago)

250bht blood tests for foreigner

300bht for 6 months of vitamin supplements

3,000bht for 3 nights in a private room

Total cost 3550bht (my idea of quite cheap does not match that of the previous poster)

A fair bit of waiting around for the monthly checkups (half day each time)

But overall very good service.

Edited by ludditeman

My lady is 7 mts preggers and we have been using BPH and will have the delivery there too.

Our decision was simple...we asked ourselves what is the best hospital in Pattaya? Erh, it's the BPH....erh, we'll go there then...very simple.

It depends on whether you want to pay the money though or be a cheap charlie and go to the local hospitals and chance your luck with your baby.

It depends on whether you want to pay the money though or be a cheap charlie and go to the local hospitals and chance your luck with your baby.

Nonsense. Delivering a baby is a very routine procedure nowadays. If Thai public hospitals couldn't handle it, the Thai race would have already become extinct.

Nonsense. Delivering a baby is a very routine procedure nowadays. If Thai public hospitals couldn't handle it, the Thai race would have already become extinct.

The poster is right, and the Government hospitals are no doubt delivering many more babies per day than their private equivalents, this should mean the staff are equally if not better experienced.

However where the private hospitals excel is the level of care they give the mother and babies on an individual basis because of a much higher staff to patient ratio, all the staff's Spoken English is of course perfect. (Biggest complaint with government hospitals for foreigners is the lack of English spoken)

I recall the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital price for a normal delivery was 26'000 THB.

At Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, not only did they take care of the necessary medical stuff, but effectively provide classes in every aspect of baby-care for the mother (It was her first, so was well received)..

They also take care of the legal registration at city hall and even provide photo's of the birth on a CD, in a take home pack which contained lots of freebies including bottles and baby milk etc..

If you can afford it, I feel it is worth using a reputable private hospital because with the government hospitals you just don't know what to expect on the day (bit like UK NHS).. There may have been a power cut 9 months ago and there could be huge demand on services and the experience may not be that good.

Go to Banglamung hospital and you will immediately find the money for private.

BPH used to have a number of price packages. Watch out for the headline price not including necessary components such as anaesthesia and / or epidural injections. Quite a few others as well.

Get a Thai to open a Thai email and send off asking for prices. Then do the same from your western email account and compare the variances.

Also look at BPH for annual fees which may seriously discount in patient stays. There was an expat western level a few years ago.

Edited by Rimmer
Accusation

I know Bangkok Hospital Pattaya is the best in facilities etc and I go there quite often. But I do have some negative experience there:

1. Early this year, I had a cyst problem. The doctor there suggested me do operation. As I am also sort of doctor in my home country, I did not take his advice. Now, my cyst problem is gone due to good care and healthy life style. Operation is easy.. But if you dont solve the root reason, cyst will appear again quickly. Same like the stone problems in gall bladder and kidneys.

2. Last month, I went there again for some pre-pregnancy advice and folic acid too....The doctor gave me a bottle of 5mg each pill....... Later I realized these large doze pills are for anemia. If pregnant women take this every day , as the doctor suggested, there could come serious consequences.

Am 36 and never had baby before. I have to be very careful in choosing a good hospital....or, even more important, a good doctor. I keep gathering info around B) Thanks for all the above info !!!

We used a clinic in naklua for our pregnancy checkups,and on his recommendation,we used banglamung hospital instead of bph. He discussed having a caesar because baby half thai half falang,but as we got closer to the delivery date he told us baby ok for natural.We had a healthy baby boy born last month.Banglamung is an old and tired looking hospital but very clean and nice staff,when we arrived my wife was put into a room with 8 other mums and there babies,she stayed there for about an hour and was placed in a delivery room with one other lady.The nurses were in the room with us and checked on her regularly,a doctor visited her to make sure all was right with baby in womb.We waited about 9hours until she was dilated enough and a few pushes and baby was out.The birth was free because ann is thai,we then had the choice of staying in a room with 8 other mums or having a private suite.We chose the vip suite which had separate bedroom and lounge 2 lcd tvs,private bathroom,kitchen with fridge and microwave,and 2 balconies,we had nurses on call 24hours a day,they showed us how to feed and bath baby,nappy change,etc,etc,3 meals a day for me and ann,and even a few beers were allowed to be brought in for me!!We stayed 2 nights and 3 days the room was very nice total cost 4800bht.I have no complaints about banglamung,the doctors and nurses seemed capable enough,it doesn't have the 5star look of bph,but we were looked after well,and the vip room is like a four star hotel

It's not nonsense at all. Many things can go wrong on the day so I want to be in the best place with the best dr's and the best facilitys, and as someone else as said the after care is also very good, they tell you all you need to know and organise everything for you. I wouldn't be comfortable at all in a government hospital, particuarly if the mother is having a c-section.

It's not nonsense at all. Many things can go wrong on the day so I want to be in the best place with the best dr's and the best facilitys, and as someone else as said the after care is also very good, they tell you all you need to know and organise everything for you. I wouldn't be comfortable at all in a government hospital, particuarly if the mother is having a c-section.

See above account of Banglamung by jingjoe8, B4800 total. No question that Queen Sirikit in Sattahip, for example, would be perfectly fine. Many docs work in private hsps as well. Many TV members have had far more complicated ops there than a C-section. So I stand by my statement.

I speak from personal experience at BPH, I had my daughter delivered by C section there 2 years ago (before any of you "no nothings" start harping on about how I was too posh to push I had to have a C section due to having one previously wth my twins and had no desire to put my baby's or my life at risk due to a rupture!) Previously I had a baby by natural delivery so I am not too posh to push!

I developed a close relationship with my Doctor at the BPH in the last three months of the pregnancy (that helped), the service was excellent and I was kept updated on the progress of the delivery at all times- minimal scarring as went in on the previous scar. Beautiful CD of the pictures in a presentation pack. The aftercare was, if anything, too intrusive with hourly checks and the staff trying to whisk the baby away to the nursery at 6AM every morning. I was treated with respect and courtesy at all times. Husband was made up a bed in the room to stay. Visitors made welcome etc. Please PM for the Doctor's details, price etc. Downside - my husband was not permitted in the delivery room despite having seen a C section before, had I not breastfed before I would not have coped as the time from delivery to me actually being able to hold and feed the baby was over 3 hours and the baby was obviously frustrated and hungry by the time I tried to first feed. My honest opinion (and it is my opinion) is that breastfeeding is discouraged but that may have just been my experience. My delivery price included a six month check which actually saved my life as it showed early cervical cancer which was treated immediately and have subsequently been given the all clear. I wish you all the very best and a bouncing healthy bundle of joy.