Do Thailand Foreign Retirees Need To Submit Income Tax Returns?

Would appreciate knowing if foreigners living here on retirement visas need to submit any or annual tax returns to the Thai authorities, assuming income or monies sent here arise solely outside of Thailand.

Also: in what circumstancs are retirees laible for or exempt from Thai income tax?

It is my understanding that while on paper the rules say one thing, but the practice is different.

Many thanks!

Money earned here in Thailand is reported on annual Thai income tax (to be legal), even if refund will result. Money earned at home and brought in from other countries is not taxable. If US citizen, money earned here is reported on US tax return as Foreign Earned Income, but not taxed unless over 80 some thousand dollars (believe currently about $84,000, but Google IRS for current exemption. Even though you don't pay tax and get a refund you must report Foreign earned income. Can not speak for other countries.

The key is where the money was earned.

Actually if you are resident for more than 180 days a year you could be liable for Thai tax and believe the rule about oversea's income not being taxable is only correct provided the income is not repatriated into Thailand in the same year it was earned.

However if you are taxed at source ie oversea's and there is a reciprocal tax agreement in place, you will not be taxed on monies already taxed

so therefore the key is not only to were it was earned, but when...

Overall the Thai tax man is not interested, but this doesnt mean they couldnt become intrested at some point in the future

Edited by Soutpeel

The key is where the money was earned

incorrect information. the key is not where money is earned but when money generated offshore is brought into Thailand by a person which is liable to pay income tax because of time in Thailand spent per calendar year. this does not apply to pensions or social security payments as the Thai taxman benevolently assumes they are covered by a double-tax agreement even if such an agreement does not exist.

OP relax! basically a foreign retiree does not pay a single Satang of Thai income tax. period!

there are several threads in Thaivisa which explain "why" in details. please use search function.

Antone know ,as i get different answers at the bank ,can you claim back interest earned on money deposited in a Thai bank?

I don't think you mean interest earned, you mean withholding tax deducted, and the answer is "often you can, yes"

Many prior threads on all these issues .. for example type "withholding tax" into the thaivisa forum search top right this page and you will quickly get some useful info

For info about thai tax, google on "price waterhouse 2011 Thailand tax guide" (it's free)

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Actually if you are resident for more than 180 days a year you could be liable for Thai tax and believe the rule about oversea's income not being taxable is only correct provided the income is not repatriated into Thailand in the same year it was earned.

However if you are taxed at source ie oversea's and there is a reciprocal tax agreement in place, you will not be taxed on monies already taxed

Overall the Thai tax man is not interested, but this doesnt mean they couldnt become intrested at some point in the future

I stand by my statement that if the poster is retired and living here as the question was posted, he is more than likely only receiving a pension, or making small money he isn't going to report. The likely hood of being taxed is almost non-existent. If he is also living in Thailand as a retiree on a retiree extension, he can't get a work permit to work legally. On a yearly extension based on marriage, he can apply for a work permit to work and make money. If he then makes enough he will have to file a Thai tax form.

I stand by my statement that if the poster is retired and living here as the question was posted, he is more than likely only receiving a pension, or making small money he isn't going to report. The likely hood of being taxed is almost non-existent. If he is also living in Thailand as a retiree on a retiree extension, he can't get a work permit to work legally. On a yearly extension based on marriage, he can apply for a work permit to work and make money. If he then makes enough he will have to file a Thai tax form.

I don't know the percentages but I can retire in Thailand now and I would NOT be doing it on a pension. I would be doing it on my investment income. My income is mostly from Tax and AMT free Municipal bonds, with some Stock dividends and regular bond interest thrown in. I can't imagine any of those monies being taxable by Thailand, but it is an interesting topic.

If the person received a tax free pension in another country is resident here for more than 180 days a year and repatriates said monies into Thailand the same year it was "earned" the person could be liable for Thai tax under the current rules. The work permit aspect is completely irrelevant

If the person received a tax free pension in another country is resident here for more than 180 days a year and repatriates said monies into Thailand the same year it was "earned" the person could be liable for Thai tax under the current rules. The work permit aspect is completely irrelevant

de jure yes, de facto the Thai taxman does not tax any foreign pension/social security payment.

de jure yes, de facto the Thai taxman does not tax any foreign pension/social security payment.

Agreed, as you pointed out earlier the Thai tax man assumes these are taxed at source

Antone know ,as i get different answers at the bank ,can you claim back interest earned on money deposited in a Thai bank?

I don't think you mean interest earned, you mean withholding tax deducted, and the answer is "often you can, yes"

Many prior threads on all these issues .. for example type "withholding tax" into the thaivisa forum search top right this page and you will quickly get some useful info

For info about thai tax, google on "price waterhouse 2011 Thailand tax guide" (it's free)

If you google with a more accurate descriptor of that firm's name you will have more success. Price Waterhouse became PricewaterhouseCoopers maybe 10 years ago.