Cabinet Postpones Bt300 Minimum Wage Rate

Lite Beer

Cabinet postpones Bt300 minimum wage rate

The Cabinet Tuesday approved a postponement of the flat Bt300 daily minimum wage to April 1, from original schedule on January 1, following business cost burden on employers due to flooding.

Starting from April 1, the Bt300 pay will be effective in several provinces: Bangkok, Phuket, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Sakhon, said Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap, who proposed the postponement.

The Bt300 pay will be in effect in other 70 provinces, on January 1, in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and could be further increased after 2014 if other factors including inflation and higher cost of living occur, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-22

Starting from April 1, the Bt300 pay will be effective in several provinces: Bangkok, Phuket, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Sakhon, said Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap, who proposed the postponement.

The Bt300 pay will be in effect in other 70 provinces, on January 1, in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and could be further increased after 2014 if other factors including inflation and higher cost of living occur, he added.

Hardly surprising really, except for the date 2013.

Another year gives T time to advise his sister on how to rob 20 billion from funds, prepare donations to the northern provinces above the current minimum wage per day in order to buy a few marillion shirts, and then to go forth and conquer....

....not to mention keeping the earning ability funds from the ochre T-shirts, the ones badly affected by flooding in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Sam.......

He goes from clever to sick when he talks about reconciliation, and his 'beloved' people.

-mel.

"...following business costs of employers..."

how about the people man? this poor excuse of a new wage means very little costs for these companies. how about their employees that lost everything: no 2-4 month salary, no home, no belongings, some no more families.

this makes me sick how money corrupts the world!

occupy bangkok, anyone?

how about the people man? this poor excuse of a new wage means very little costs for these companies. how about their employees that lost everything: no 2-4 month salary, no home, no belongings, some no more families.

occupy bangkok, anyone?

You go first, let me know how you get on.

occupy bangkok, anyone?

You go first, let me know how you get on.

i wish, unfortunatly trying to get farang to come with me would be hard as they are here mostly to avert money issues and have a nice holiday or retirement. trying to get thais to come would be harder as they wouldnt understand what the occupy movement is about; no longterm visions.

im not trying to follow reds, yellows or whatever colors that want taksin here or not, the world needs to wake up from this monetary economic system. there is a better system: the resource economy...

Time for the PM to practice her public speaking with more double talk, followed by her standard answer, 'be patient, I am doing my best'. With the patience I have observed displayed in this country, the initial promise for national wage increase vs the vastly modified proposal may raise a few eyebrows in the labor sector. Guess they will have to be more patient on the promised, 'wealth within 6 months'.

There I corrected that for you

"Time for the PM to practice her public speaking with more double talk, followed by her standard answer and lots of tears, 'be patient, I am doing my best'. With the patience I have observed displayed in this country, the initial promise for national wage increase vs the vastly modified proposal may raise a few eyebrows in the labor sector. Guess they will have to be more patient on the promised, 'wealth within 6 months'."

Wage hike to be delayed until April

THE NATION

30170451-01_big.jpg

The Cabinet yesterday approved the postponement of the Bt300 minimum daily wage to April 1 from January 1 to avoid burdening flood-affected businesses with extra expenses.

The Bt300 rate was due to be implemented first in Bangkok, Phuket, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Sakhon, said Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap, who proposed the delay.

Many of those provinces have been heavily inundated.

The Bt300 rate will go into effect in 70 other provinces on January 1 of 2013, 2014 and 2015, and could be increased after 2014 depending on variables including inflation and the cost of living, he added.

Based on an average increase of 40 per cent, the minimum wage will vary in other provinces, when it takes effect locally in different areas at different times. The rate will go to Bt274.40 in Chon Buri, Bt270.20 in Chachoengsao and Saraburi, Bt266 in Ayutthaya, Bt257.60 in Krabi, Bt256.20 in Nakhon Ratchasima and Prachin Buri, and Bt254.8 in Lop Buri.

Labour groups submitted an open letter to the Labour Ministry calling for more assistance and action from the government.

The Bt2,000 stipend for three months granted recently to employers to pay their workers during the suspension of operations due to the floods was not enough, they said.

Chalee Loisoong, head of the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee (TLSC), said all workers were even entitled to 100-per-cent pay during the break, citing the Bt900-billion fund the government said it would mobilise when it proposed a New Thailand scheme two months ago.

He said the idea of three months of Bt2,000 compensation was not feasible for small companies, which could not continue to contribute to the fund and would opt instead to lay off workers or even close down.

Chalee also called for assistance for out-of-system workers such as farmers, migrant workers and those who take on handicraft or contract work at home.

The other measures called for on behalf of the TLSC are for workers to have a say in an upcoming government assistance package and for the government to issue a detailed announcement of flood damage to all businesses in Thailand.

Yongyuth Mentaphao, the chairman of the Federation of Auto Workers' Unions of Thailand, said he feared that part-time workers and those hired under wholesale labour deals - who constitute half of the workforce in the auto-assembly industry - may not benefit from government assistance like full-time staff.

Thanakij Sasopha, a leader of Honda Thailand workers, urged the Labour Ministry to hold a meeting and mediate talks between workers and authorities to see how they would help the makers and suppliers of auto parts, which had been heavily affected by floods, just like the assistance promised to auto-makers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-23

i wish, unfortunatly trying to get farang to come with me would be hard as they are here mostly to avert money issues and have a nice holiday or retirement. trying to get thais to come would be harder as they wouldnt understand what the occupy movement is about; no longterm visions.

im not trying to follow reds, yellows or whatever colors that want taksin here or not, the world needs to wake up from this monetary economic system. there is a better system: the resource economy...

how about paying them daily B300 and provide mobile kitchen/toilets?!!!!

Time for the PM to practice her public speaking with more double talk, followed by her standard answer, 'be patient, I am doing my best'. With the patience I have observed displayed in this country, the initial promise for national wage increase vs the vastly modified proposal may raise a few eyebrows in the labor sector. Guess they will have to be more patient on the promised, 'wealth within 6 months'.

Thaksin's "all Thais will be rich after 6 months" promise expires at the end of next month, but perhaps the deadlines were only pre-election promises, like the immediate universal promise of 300B/day, which may have influenced the trusting/more-honest voters ?

Sad to see the poor getting short-changed yet again. :(

Are they serious.

"The Bt300 pay will be in effect in other 70 provinces, on January 1, in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and could be further increased after 2014 if other factors including inflation and higher cost of living occur, he added."

Are they trying o tell us that giving a 40% wage hike will not affect inflation and the cost of living.

To top it all off that is only a small figure to some wage earners it can be as high as 80%.

And I really hate to burst their bubble but none of this is going to make every one rich by the end of January 2012.:(

Thaksin's "all Thais will be rich after 6 months" promise expires at the end of next month, but perhaps the deadlines were only pre-election promises, like the immediate universal promise of 300B/day, which may have influenced the trusting/more-honest voters ?

Sad to see the poor getting short-changed yet again. :(

He didn't think it through. If they're receiving 300 Bt/ day to work near their homes, how is he going to get thousands of them to form a mob when needed for only 200 Bt / day? So it's off the table for now.

this again, absolutely wrong.

In times of such a hardship and extreme overhead expenses for most common folks it is wrong.

Get more of these secretary of public transportation people and people could have 2000/day.

Hell I remember some of my american friends over a decade ago. they came here with a new patent for road construction. Recycling tires and put them into the asphalt in a special way that can save more than 30% of the usual costs. Meetings after meetings and it never materialized.

Can they do even one thing right? Wake me up when that happens.

• 2 months later...

The Cabinet yesterday approved the postponement of the Bt300 minimum daily wage to April 1 from January 1

The Bt300 rate was due to be implemented first in Bangkok, Phuket, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Sakhon, said Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap, who proposed the delay.

Word this morning of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) representing 100 companies will file a petition with the Administrative Court to stop the government's policy to raise the minimum wage.

They will be joined by 7 employers' associations representing 50 companies in seeking to postpone Yingluck's government's election promise.

The petition is likely to be submitted after April 1st (when the increase is slated to begin), because previous efforts to block it were rejected by the courts based on no damages occurring yet.

The Cabinet yesterday approved the postponement of the Bt300 minimum daily wage to April 1 from January 1

Word this morning of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) representing 100 companies will file a petition with the Administrative Court to stop the government's policy to raise the minimum wage.

They will be joined by 7 employers' associations representing 50 companies in seeking to postpone Yingluck's government's election promise.

The petition is likely to be submitted after April 1st (when the increase is slated to begin), because previous efforts to block it were rejected by the courts based on no damages occurring yet.

The PTP will like that. "We tried to raise the minimum wage, but business wouldn't let us".

The PTP will like that. "We tried to raise the minimum wage, but business wouldn't let us".

and the businesses will claim that PTP campaigned on this with no debate. This will get messy as there are already planned demonstrations for the 300B

In the past the minimum daily wages would be adjusted about every year. Mostly a small increase to compensate for inflation, sometimes a bit more. As far as I know the last adjustment was begin of 2011. Will there be a general adjustment this year ?

2011: http://www.business-in-asia.com/thailand/minimum_wage2011.html

Edited by rubl

the amart (elite) didn't let us....

Are they serious.

"The Bt300 pay will be in effect in other 70 provinces, on January 1, in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and could be further increased after 2014 if other factors including inflation and higher cost of living occur, he added."

Are they trying o tell us that giving a 40% wage hike will not affect inflation and the cost of living.

To top it all off that is only a small figure to some wage earners it can be as high as 80%.

And I really hate to burst their bubble but none of this is going to make every one rich by the end of January 2012.sad.gif

Plus, still no long-term policies (no discussion, no comments, no policies whatever) which would ultimately make Thais more capable plus instrastructure, plus investment policies which would set up the scenario whereby a large % of all Thais could gain a much better quality of life through their own productivity.

And no policies whatever in regard to sharing the wealth which would lessen the costs burdon on the low income folks.

Look it was just an election pledge to get your votes, its not cancelled its just delayed seems the employers were not to keen on paying something for nothing and none of us thought of that, I dont suppose you did either!

Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many tablet computers? Who is paying for that then?

If there is another delay in the minimum wage (and in only 7 provinces out of 77), will they also revoke lowering the corporate income tax from 30% to 23%? Not likely

Think positive.

Now the plebs can enjoy the sight of all the new Porsches, Benzes, BMWs and other luxury cars that have been appearing since the downtrodden upper classes got their well deserved tax break.