What Type Of Company To Open ?

Hi,

Not sure if this will get moved straight to the section where only SunBelt can reply ??

My wife and I are starting a small coffee shop / restaurant but I would also like to do some private tutoring at home.

We do not live in one of the major towns and don't suffer from the normal harassment from authorities.

Should I..

1) open 2 companies

2) open 1 company for the tutoring and let her run the coffee shop under the table

3) not bother about any company and see how we go

Thanks

Why would she need to operate a coffee shop under the table, to open a small business for a Thai is very easy to do, she doesnt need a Ltd company, unless of course you are trying to blag a WP though it.

Are you sure you will even get a Ltd company registered for "tutoring"

obviously you know your option 3 would be illegal in the case of tutoring ?

I'm not trying to blag a WP but if I help her with the coffee shop, I think I would need a work permit ?? A friend of mine was arrested in Phuket for clearing a few tables in his place, obviously they were watching to catch him out :)

Yup, tutoring without a permit would be illegal but how could I get a work permit to tutor without setting up a company ??

So my real question was, can I set up a company and get WP that covers managing a coffee shop plus tutoring !!

So my real question was, can I set up a company and get WP that covers managing a coffee shop plus tutoring !!

You would need to ask a lawyer that, Re the articles for the company, in principle there would be no reason why not, but who knows in Thailand

You wife could set up the coffee shop a sole proprietor. The main advantage is that she can write off approx 70% to 80% of revenues as automatic deductions (undocumented) and it is cheap and simple to establish. The main disadvantage is she'd face personal liablity (as opposed to a limited liability company). But the sole proprietor vehicle is the main method most vendors go, and it keeps you above board without having massive tax implication (due to the advantagous nature of the detuctions).

Dunno about the English teaching, but if you have a market then it would be best to establish a limited company and all that goes with it to allow you a work permit.

Edited by samran

Thanks for the replies.

I'm considering all options but will not be doing anything illegal, well not too much !!! We are in Thailand after all jap.gif

I had come up with some similar issues a couple of weeks ago, and got similar replies. I also need to find out how to work out these things. I know there are some favours, preferences in case of business with wife but we don't know the law. This is why a thai lawyer can tell how it works. I also would like to do some business over there from January but to be honest, dont want to start a limited company with 2 million baht capitalization. I and my wife will get in touch with a thai lawyer on the next week whom can give us some infos hopefully. There are some sally-ports, we only have to find them. Seemingly, the work related issues are the most complicated ones, solutions are little known.