An Open Letter To Bangkok Airways

ChiangMaiThai

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I understand the OP's position, I take it as a very positive step that targaman has replied on a public forum, and that a thorough investigation is under way.

I hope targaman has a long look at the thread I recommended to him and replies to some of our concerns there as well.

I have flown PG four times and have found them to offer excellent service.

Managing customer expectations can be very challenging, and customers sometimes expect some level of unwritten service based on their choice of a vendor, revenue committed and "loyalty". When things are unwritten it is almost impossible to meet or exceed those expectations.

Some Frequent Flyer programs offer benefits based on status level, and sometimes these include waiving of change fees and even guarantees of seat availability (rare these days). It helps when these are documented so then customer know what to expect and Customer Service Reps. know what they can offer.

My best guess on the OP's situation is that given the close-in ticket change desired that there was little or no inventory left, and certainly none in the lower-priced fare-bucket the OP probably purchased, hence the OP had to basically have their ticket re-issued into the higher fare-bucket, paying any difference. Ideally, for a higher status customer PG should waive any change/re-issue fees (IMO), but they may not do this normally. And in a further idealized world, customers would be identified in all CSR screens by revenue, and CSRs would be trained to identify situations whereby a valued customer could be treated differently, perhaps passing them up to a Supervisor. Said Supervisor would need to be empowered to make on-the-spot decisions up to some revenue limit, in this case opening up the lower-priced fare bucket, allowing the OP to change with no fee or additional fare cost.

Obviously this opens up another can of worms: what do customers expect going forward, what happens if there is no space the next day? do you bump an ticketed passenger for the valued one? how do you manage their now higher expectations? what happens when they share their experience and then every customer expects the same treatment, etc.

I quickly reviewed the PG FlyerBonus FF program and saw no benefits listed which might cover the OP's situation/expectations. They do list, "Priority reservation wait-listing upon request*", as a benefit, but I suspect this wouldn't address the OP's situation.

Given the OP expects a level of treatment, and delivery of certain benefits, based on their revenue/loyalty, which is not specifically documented, it may be best to pony up the additional fare, then contact the airline afterward to let them know what you expect them to do. Perhaps it is not entirely reasonable to expect a first-level CSR to extend some unknown level of benefits?

Whilst I understand the OP's position, I take it as a very positive step that targaman has replied on a public forum, and that a thorough investigation is under way.

It's nice that they replied, but there is nothing to investigate as far as the ticket change fee goes, which further demonstrates their complete lack of understanding of the problem. In telling me to pay more than the cost of the original ticket and more than what other airlines were charging for a new ticket, they were following the rules set by their management. They did nothing wrong as far as the rules are concerned and their 'investigation' will show just that. Case closed.

Now if they would like to investigate their flawed logic, the reason so many people who have a choice choose not to fly Bangkok Airways, and the reason that other Premier members are also unsatisfied, that would be welcomed. Further, if they would like to take a "very positive step", they can come here and announce that:

From now on, all Premier members will be given 10 free ticket amendments per year regardless of the class of ticket purchased.

From now on, all Premier members will be taken to the plane in a van rather than forced to stand on the crowded bus for 20 minutes.

From now on, all Premier members will be given preferential boarding and not called out of the lounge only to stand in a line 60 or 70 people deep.

From now on, all Premier members will receive quality meals that differ to those served in coach.

From now on, each of the 12 different dietary options for meals will not all come in the form of two pieces of bread / a slice of meat / vegetables / cheese. Bread with cucumber and tomato is not "Asian Vegetarian". Sandwiches are not full course meals as we claim to offer here: http://www.bangkokair.com/en/about-us/asia-boutique-airline.php

From now on, the Premier/Business class lounge will be improved. Proper high speed internet will be installed (1Mbps is not high speed) and quality food will be available (not popcorn and old bananas).

From now on, bags marked Priority will always come out at baggage claim first regardless of destination. (CNX to BKK - Priority bags almost invariably come out last. When the issue is brought up to Bangkok Airways ground staff, they shrug their shoulders and say they don't know).

From now on, Premier members will be given a PIN so that when they call Reservations they do not have to sit on hold for 25 minutes.

From now on, the credit card used to purchase a ticket online by Premier members will be verified once. On subsequent travels, the card does not have to be presented and we will not force our valued member to buy a new ticket if he forgets that credit card!

From now on, we will send an SMS to a customer's phone should a flight be delayed or cancelled - we do after all collect each passengers phone number.

From now on, we will no longer show the same episodes of Wile E. Coyote cartoons and Just for Laughs ad nauseum. And we will certainly not broadcast the audio to these programs throughout the entire cabin!

From now on, prices on all Samui routes will drop by 50% in low season because we realize the damage that we do to the hospitality industry on the island when we insist on the highest priced flights in Thailand, even as our planes fly half empty, hotels and restaurants on Samui struggle to find customers, and tourists can enjoy prices up to 70% lower on flights to Phuket.

I'm not holding my breath.

I have flown PG four times and have found them to offer excellent service.

My best guess on the OP's situation is that given the close-in ticket change desired that there was little or no inventory left, and certainly none in the lower-priced fare-bucket the OP probably purchased, hence the OP had to basically have their ticket re-issued into the higher fare-bucket, paying any difference.

Given the OP expects a level of treatment, and delivery of certain benefits, based on their revenue/loyalty, which is not specifically documented, it may be best to pony up the additional fare, then contact the airline afterward to let them know what you expect them to do. Perhaps it is not entirely reasonable to expect a first-level CSR to extend some unknown level of benefits?

Well written post. On your first point, based on all the comments on this thread and the other dedicated threads to Bangkok Airways rants, the majority of people do not share your opinion. Certainly you hold a very different view than all of my colleagues who are often forced to fly Bangkok Airways.

On your second point, yes that is exactly what happened. The poor girl on the phone was just telling me what the rules are. The rules are flawed. That's the problem.

On your third point, their customer service is completely non responsive and uninterested. On most of their routes, they are the only show in town. This invariably leads to complacency. This complacency hurts them when they fly other routes and come up against airlines who actually know what it means to compete and entice repeat bookings. Honestly, how long do you think they would last if Samui was a public airport? How many TV members would still choose BKK Airways? And could Bangkok Airways survive on its own merit without artificially keeping prices extremely high for its monopoly routes?

Fortunately there are several other companies who provides air transportation. ;)

Not to Samui. :(

Check out Nok Air.

Although not a direct flight to Samui (BKK to Surathani, then bus to ferry to Nathon), it is HUGELY cheaper than Bangkok Airway.

It's a major pain in the arse.. I vowed to stump up the cash and fly direct if I ever go back there.

Really? In what way is it a pain? I only ask as I am (was?) thinking of using Nok to travel to Samui in February.........

Cheers! Andy.

Have to disagree somewhat with robsamui when he says the company is not forward thnking.

BA is planning on floating on the stock market in the near future. In order do that successfully (ie to make the most money for the shareholders) the balance sheet needs to be squeaky clean, and the profit and loss account must look exceptional when compared to other airlines/companies. A THB 2,300 profit now from the OP could equal 10 - 20 times that amount to the share value of the company.

Now this can be called greed or arrogance, but it could also be called forward thinking.:whistling:

I bow to your observations :jap:

The fact remains that they couldn't give a sh*t about service or value for money - there's no competition and a queue of tourists that stretches to the horizon for ever and ever that will pay their fares, as most of the package booking (best part of 1 mil holidays a year on Samui) is handled with agents who include this in the overall cost. License to print cash.

R

I was willing to put up with all your faults up until you again refused to demonstrate any flexibility on a ticket change for an ill "Premier" member who travels with you many times a month. I have a few more fights already booked with you this year and after that I am done. I will continue to spend money flying domestically in Thailand, but I will give the money to another airline in the hopes that they may have a better grasp on the meaning of customer service.

It is interesting that you are a loyal customer, but apparently a highly dissatisfied one. Its unclear why, other than on captive routes, you've continued to use PG when you obviously have considered them to be so bad, for so long? And then the proverbial straw is this 2,300 baht charge for changing your travel date. Evidently you expected PG to know what you wanted, and when they didn't acknowledge your loyalty with a freebie, (which BTW should be given occasionally IMO, provided you generate the revenue you claim) you're abandoning them. You probably should have started to spread your travel baht across multiple carriers years ago, rather than hoping for some sort of unwritten benefits to be extended to you. I'd submit that maybe PG aren't quite as bad as you'd like to believe; after all you really haven't given a lot of other negative experiences and you kept flying them for years, and that your reaction is out of proportion to the perceived slight?

It is probably best that you now try some of the other carriers like TG, FD, DD, if only to get a feel for how they handle "status" flyers and date changes.

Having used Bangkok Airway for the last ten years from Samui to Bangkok I must say that the service they provide has declined in the last three or four years,

Delays are not uncommon on the BKK to USM leg of the journey.The Samui residents card they introduced a few years ago worked for about a year and then,

they stopped giving out the discounts I think it was 20% to begin with and they offered a cheaper fare on the first flight out of Samui and the last flight in, that

went out of the window very quickly and I learnt that it was not worth paying the 300 baht per year to renew the card.As they own the airport in Samui they have got

a stranglehold on the route and have put a ludicrous fare on a very short haul flight .There are many expats on Samui and a good many that I know now fly Nok Air,

out of Surat or Nakorn.I have found their staff to be surly and rude on more than one occasion and think that a course in customer relations would be in order for all of their check,

in staff..Because I live on Samui I dont have much choice when flying in from other countries but think that a company such as Nok Air should be given two or three

flights a day as Thai Airways have to take the pressure off of Bangkok Airways and hopefully bring down the exorbitant price which they have set for such a short haul

flight.This is the first time I have posted on any subject as I feel that this company offers a poor service for a very high price.

Really? In what way is it a pain? I only ask as I am (was?) thinking of using Nok to travel to Samui in February.........

Cheers! Andy.

Nok Air fly out of Don Muang. (Well, they used to, so I am assuming they will again.) That might not be that convenient. They fly to Suratthani, and then you take a bus to Donsak. From here you have a ferry to Nathon on Samui. You then probably need a taxi as Nathon is the opposite side of the island that most people go to. So, it is a lot cheaper, but adds several hours to the journey.

I was willing to put up with all your faults up until you again refused to demonstrate any flexibility on a ticket change for an ill "Premier" member who travels with you many times a month. I have a few more fights already booked with you this year and after that I am done. I will continue to spend money flying domestically in Thailand, but I will give the money to another airline in the hopes that they may have a better grasp on the meaning of customer service.

It is interesting that you are a loyal customer, but apparently a highly dissatisfied one. Its unclear why, other than on captive routes, you've continued to use PG when you obviously have considered them to be so bad, for so long? And then the proverbial straw is this 2,300 baht charge for changing your travel date. Evidently you expected PG to know what you wanted, and when they didn't acknowledge your loyalty with a freebie, (which BTW should be given occasionally IMO, provided you generate the revenue you claim) you're abandoning them. You probably should have started to spread your travel baht across multiple carriers years ago, rather than hoping for some sort of unwritten benefits to be extended to you. I'd submit that maybe PG aren't quite as bad as you'd like to believe; after all you really haven't given a lot of other negative experiences and you kept flying them for years, and that your reaction is out of proportion to the perceived slight?

It is probably best that you now try some of the other carriers like TG, FD, DD, if only to get a feel for how they handle "status" flyers and date changes.

I kept flying them because:

1. The lounge, while a joke compared to other airlines, is convenient and quiet.

2. I enjoyed checking in quickly.

3. I was close to a free ticket to America with their points.

4. I was forced to. When work took me to Samui I wasn't able to do the 6 hour Nok Air route.

You can read my other posts here to see all the ways in which they could offer excellent customer service, but don't.

If all the other airlines in Thailand show equal indifference to loyal passengers, it will just serve to reinforce my point further. What a massive failure by BKK Airways in terms of identifying an area in the market where they can truly differentiate themselves.

It's interesting that even though BKK Airways now knows this thread exists that no one has bothered to come back and at least defend their position. And of course no reply to my email.

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

It's a major pain in the arse.. I vowed to stump up the cash and fly direct if I ever go back there.

Cheers! Andy.

It's an hour in a minibus to the pier. Then you might wait an hour for the next boat. Then more time crossing to the island (I think that was about an hour, but there is a faster boat). Then you have to make your way to where you are staying, in my case by over priced taxi.

Getting back was different. We had a car drive us around the island in the morning then take us to the pier where we met up with a bus that went onto the ferry. That bus then took us to Surat and dumped us in the town to wait for a connecting minibus. Probably stood there in the street for an hour.

Maybe there's a more efficient way, but it wasn't obvious.

Plus you have to go early to catch the last boat. So as I was on a late flight to BKK, I had to sit around the airport for a couple of hours. And Nok wouldn't let me have an exit seat as I had a girl with me, despite taking her on numerous Nok flights and sitting by the exit.

Fortunately there are several other companies who provides air transportation. ;)

Check out Nok Air.

Although not a direct flight to Samui (BKK to Surathani, then bus to ferry to Nathon), it is HUGELY cheaper than Bangkok Airway.

Could just stop being cheap and fly Thai to Samui from Bangkok....

CMT,

I copied and sent your post to Captain Puttipong Bangkok Airways President.

He forwarded it immediately to Prote Setsuwan, VP Marketing, and FFP who has asked me to provide name or ID number of such member as I intend to conduct thorough investigation on his or her complaint.

If you would like to give me details off forum to process this complaint I am happy to pass on the info to Khun Prote Setsuwan.

Kind regards,

Targaman

Bangkok Airways Quality Advisor

Congratulations on responding to the thread, and for keeping an eye on (at least one) local forums, to Bangkok Airways.

I myself have started to fly PG, in preference to TG, and have thus-far found their service at check-in & on-board to be good, so I will happily continue to use them. It's never a bad time, to re-examine a frequent-flyer programme and see if it can be improved without significant extra cost, so I hope the thread helps generate some improvement.

The pricing on their Bangkok-Samui route, which seems to be the commercial-cornerstone upon which this airline is built, will probably always be a sensitive point. But it would help their image, if cheaper-fares were available to frequent-flyers or local-residents or people on their first/last-flights or people who can book (say) 3-months-ahead, rather than an apparent policy of 'high fares for all' !

There must be some way in which we, as frequent-flyer passengers, can adjust our behaviour in a way which benefits them, and allows them to offer a (cost-justified) better price to us ? Perhaps the airline might carry out research amongst its ff-members, to see what we can offer, in return for a lower-fare on that route ? B)

I used to fly Bangkok Air to Koh Samui and Chiang Mai a lot. I loved them. They were always friendly and helpful. I missed flights with no charge to reschedule and once missed a flight rescheduled and missed that yet they smiled and gave me another flight t no charge. Another time at the stop in Sukothai I asked and received permission to deplane run to the gift shop to buy a fish wood carving to take back to the US with me. But alas the past twelve years of marriage keeps us in Chiang Mai and intercountry travel is done by car. sorry to read that they've changed.

Next time you guys talk to Bangkok Airways ask them what a Boutique Airline is

I've asked them this, when they started this boutique thing some years back. I was told boutique stands for small & exclusive.

Its all about the money with this company now. It never used to be with great service and fairly reasonable pricing even BKK-USM.

Right, but what is almost humorous is that it's all about the money TODAY. Somehow they are ignorant of the fact that when you take care of your most loyal customers, they will keep coming back and giving you money, and when you don't, they will give your competitors money instead! Is it really such a difficult concept to grasp? They could think long term and make it all about the money in a positive sense by taking care of their customers, but they simply don't. I think this culture stems from their monopoly on Samui. Without competition, it's easy to take customers for granted.

You are utterly and completely missing the point and approaching the situation from a First World point of view.

This is Thailand. Bangkok airways is a Thai airline. Thai people have no ability to envisage anything beyond today - yes, even a big company like this.

The second element is all about status. BA and its owners consider themselves to be an elite. Therefore it is beneath them to be seen to be concerned about such unimportant aspects as service or customer loyalty. Their attitude is a big shrug and that customers can take it or leave it. To emphasise this point, the "group" who own BA have a 90-room luxury beachside resort on Samui with three restaurants, spa and olympic-standard pool. The last time I had occasion to do business with them there were just 10 guests - all of them employees of BA.

It's all about posturing in Thailand. BA are declaring that they are so "high-class" (a Thai social concept, not my own) they are are completely unconcerned about the lower classes (you and I) and that they are so untouchably wealthy that there is no need to lower themselves to actually have annoying tourists in their big hotel.

Plus, of course, there is the Tax Exempt status that they enjoy ad perpetuity as a reward for building the airport and making Samui accessible to all those grubby tourists . . . one rarely hears mention of this . . .

R

I have to disagree with your comment regarding 'elite business owners' and add my own view to an interesting subject. Do you really think that the CEO/Senior Management know of problems that transpire at ground level? Well, the simple answer is NO they do not and not because they aren't interested! The problem is based on Thai culture and Thai belief that the elite are semi-Gods. In the case of Bangkok Airways the rule says that you have to pay a surcharge to re-book and booking staff have been taught this during training. They have also been taught to inform an in-line manager in the event of problems. However, to inform your manager that you are unable to deal with a problem is to lose face and so it is better to hide the problem under the carpet and forget that it ever happened. Should you inform your manager it will cause him worry and he will look down on you, so as not to cause worry, this part of Thai culture goes right from the lowest rung in the business to the top! The 'business elite' who are intent on making money (many with overseas experience of customer service) simply do not know what is happening as the information never reaches them. You may think that it is their job to be aware of day to day happenings within their Company but, this is all but impossible when the information is blocked by each manager at each level. Should the top brass find out they are usually appalled and after holding meetings they will correct the rule, the problem is them becoming aware that the problem exists in the first place! Remember that Thai companies/businesses small and large - and unlike their Western counterparts - operate with decisions only being made by the 'man at the top'

How do I know this - I have spent over 30 years dealing with Thai companies on behalf of my Western company and many times have received the answer from middle management that something is impossible only to meet with the top brass later and find that the impossible has been reversed not, by information from the bottom up but instructions from the top down. Get Thai employee's to understand that by reporting problems to their in-line manager is benefiting the company and not worrying the boss and the problem is solved. However to do this the training will need to start at preschool level .

Interesting that no one has bothered to come back and post here.

They emailed me. As expected, they don't really say anything at all.

Thank you for the feedback provided. We do regret not meeting your expectations and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kindly be assured that this issue was pass to our management team promptly.

We do hope you would grant us further opportunity to prove our service in the future once again.

--------------------

My reply

-------------------

Thank you for the reply. Does this mean that you will be changing your practices and rules in regards to how you treat your frequent flyers?

Your management team in my opinion are the problem. What kind of company fails to recognize that it is smart business to take care of a regular customer?

Awaiting your reply.

Bangkok Airways do yourself a favour and just delete all non Thai citizens from your Premier Members program immediately and don't take any more into the program. (just announce that forthwith the program is open to to holders of Thai Passports only.)

Some people have too much time on their hands.

Thai's have no critical thinking skills. Bangkok Airways is no difference. TIT :bah:

I was watching a show the other nite regarding brain function in different parts of the brain. I have no doubt that activity in the frontal lobes, where one thinks about consequence of action, is depressed in the average Thai brain. I think it is a tropical people's adaptation to always having abundant food and never having to really plan in order to survive.

I stopped flying Bangkok Air when on the tram to the plane at U-Tapau, a gang of Russian sex tourists lit up cigarettes and smoked all the way up to the stairs, fuel truck present. When finally told to put out the cigarettes before entering the plane, they simply tossed lit butts on the ground. The attendants smiled in that idiotic manner Thais are famous for and did nothing about the butts posing a fire hazard, or worse- ready to be sucked into a jet engine.

After 1-2 Go and the revelations about Thai civil aviation's appalling lack of oversight safety , I fly Thai Air only as it is the only Thai airline that answers to real authority and has outside inspections.

Thank you for the feedback provided. We do regret not meeting your expectations and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We do hope you would grant us further opportunity to prove our service in the future once again.

--------------------

My reply

-------------------

Thank you for the reply. Does this mean that you will be changing your practices and rules in regards to how you treat your frequent flyers?

Your management team in my opinion are the problem. What kind of company fails to recognize that it is smart business to take care of a regular customer?

Awaiting your reply.

So you think the management of Bangkok airlines are reading all Thai forums in any language to look for open letters. :whistling:

Blaming the management in your reply won't help you getting a better deal.

Or Trat :-(

The price for a one way ticket Trat to BKK is now over 3,000 baht, up from the previous 1,900. No bloody choice for me, and my Trat Privelage cars was meant to give a 10% on flights, but never ever have I got it.

--------------------

My reply

-------------------

Awaiting your reply.

So you think the management of Bangkok airlines are reading all Thai forums in any language to look for open letters. :whistling:

Blaming the management in your reply won't help you getting a better deal.

If you had read the whole thread you would know that BKk Airways has already replied here. They also just called me today. Head of the call centre I take it. She said that they really do care about their customers, especially Premier level and that usually a sickness should be taken into consideration when a guest asks to change a ticket. She then told me again all about their policy and how there are different ticket classes. I told her that what her bosses don't understand is that I could be worth a couple million Baht to them in my lifetime, but they are so focused on today that they disregard that and insist on their rules in order to make 2,000 Baht now. She was really very nice, but I'm sure has no authority to make any real changes. I told her that Premier level flyers should get at least 6 free ticket changes per year. She said she would pass it along to her Managers. She asked if I would fly BKK Airways again and I told her that after the end of the year, my plan is not to fly with them anymore, but if their policy change, please let me know.

Anyway, I doubt this will all have any real effect, but who knows. Maybe someone higher up will understand the lifetime value of a customer rather than just the value of that customer today.

I told her that Premier level flyers should get at least 6 free ticket changes per year. She said she would pass it along to her Managers. She asked if I would fly BKK Airways again and I told her that after the end of the year, my plan is not to fly with them anymore, but if their policy change, please let me know.

So six free unrestricted ticket changes per year, presumably with some restrictions, i.e. space available, would be enough to keep your loyalty?

In your previous list of demands you asked for ten such changes, among many other things. And it is obvious, based on your posts, that you are extremely dissatisfied with PG, across the broadest range of services, other than actual air transportation between two points, which an airline can provide (remote gates, lounge, food, IFE, call center wait times, et al.).

Why continue to reward unsatisfactory service with your revenue and loyalty? It really doesn't make any sense.

The other day I looked at booking two seats (mrs and me) plus one for my 2.5 year son to samui -departing on 11th and returning on 17th to samui.

Now I know it's 'high season' but when I got the number 21,000 back after hitting enter (3x7k-no child discount I guess) I clicked close and vowed to look at spending my money in samui next year-again.

Haven't been there for at least 6 years now.

Yes, plane + ferry is an option I suppose but to be honest, samui is nice but not worth the hassle when I could take that 21k and stay somewhere like hua hin in 5star accom.

I told her that Premier level flyers should get at least 6 free ticket changes per year. She said she would pass it along to her Managers. She asked if I would fly BKK Airways again and I told her that after the end of the year, my plan is not to fly with them anymore, but if their policy change, please let me know.

So six free unrestricted ticket changes per year, presumably with some restrictions, i.e. space available, would be enough to keep your loyalty?

In your previous list of demands you asked for ten such changes, among many other things. And it is obvious, based on your posts, that you are extremely dissatisfied with PG, across the broadest range of services, other than actual air transportation between two points, which an airline can provide (remote gates, lounge, food, IFE, call center wait times, et al.).

Why continue to reward unsatisfactory service with your revenue and loyalty? It really doesn't make any sense.

There are numerous areas where they could easily improve their services. As I already stated, the quick check in is convenient and the quiet lounge is convenient (even though it is hardly a first class lounge). If I saw real changes begin to take place at BKK Airways, I would probably continue to fly with them. It should start with an effort to look after those who fly with them most. Six free ticket changes a year subject to availability on the flight - not within a certain ticket class - would be a step in the right direction. Then they should begin looking at the many issues I pointed out.

Their incredible prices for the one hour flight to Samui are ridiculous and cost the hospitality industry there dearly. It would be great to see these prices come down, but I have a feeling that BKK Airways wouldn't survive. And anyway, what's in it for them?

To be fair, they called me again today assuring me once again they do care and that my comments are being passed up the food chain. We'll see if anything really changes. I have my doubts for the simple fact that they earn so much of their revenue from routes where passengers have no other option.

Edited by ChiangMaiThai