Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

The Thai people elected the current government, knowing they would pardon Thaksin.

The people who fitted him up lost.

If they were to round up all the people who oppose the wishes of the majority of Thais, and the elected government.

Things might get easier for everyone.

The wishes of the majority are not a good way to run a democracy. The majority can easily be deceived, or caught up in the heat of the moment and make bad decisions. The majority of Germans voted for the Nazi party, so does that make the invasions of other countries and the holocaust justified? I think not.

When the US gained its independence and was establishing its form of government, the 'founding fathers' deliberately made the system slow. It's very difficult to pass laws quickly in the US, and this helps to make sure bad decisions are scrapped before they are put into action.

Don't put so much faith in the wishes of the majority. They may be duped into wanting something they would soon regret.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad he's coming back. You don't like it..leave. It's not your business or concern anyway and it certainly isn't your country of birth.

Well, although what I say and do have absolutely no impact with the Thais on what will actually happen within Thailand, I do live here permanently and have a business here also, so sorry, it is my business and it is my concern.

Unfortunately, being concerned is the only course of action open to you as long as you continue to stay here. At which stage would you decide that enough is enough and then pack up and go? No one's holding a gun to your head right?

You cant make this stuff up.

Thailand will issue a passport to a fugitive on the run.

No wonder Thailand will always be viewed as a incompetent nation.

Yes, Thailand is oft times, an incompetent nation. Wonder why there are so many farangs living here.........

Yes, Thailand is oft times, an incompetent nation. Wonder why there are so many farangs living here.........

Because it is cheap and the sex is good - obviously.

There is no other reason reason for being in this Third World country

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

Simple answer is No it is not illegal to hold a Thai passport and foreign passport at the same time! There are plenty of threads on TV that support this answer.

+1

Not true - some of us are here to build up new local offices that will hire more and more local people.

The vast majority of farang numbering in the tens of thousands are here in Thailand solely to personally irk you.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

No... it must be very undemocratic to cancel the passports of convicted felons.

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

First you plead innocence and then you shoot yourself in the foot or maybe both feet.

There is an art to dissembling.

His sister Yingluck is now premier
Foreign Minister Surapong ... is Thaksin's cousin

Nepotism is alive and doing well in Thailand.....

Nepotism is only a bad thing for people who don't have success in their genes.

:rolleyes:

Nepotism is only a bad thing for people who don't have wads of cash in their jeans.

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

why would that be illegal many people have thai and american passports.you can be a duel citizen

How can you even issue anything by any government to a convicted felon on the run? Amazing Thailand, it's a MIRACLE

Not true - some of us are here to build up new local offices that will hire more and more local people.

By first choice, mai ?

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin’s legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

Oh, and of course the mandatory "Thaksin doesn't know about this" <_<

Followed by another breaking news article there with the obligatory denial by PM Yingluck of having anything to do with the return of the passport for her brother.

It all follows the same checklist used during the failed pardon request. None of the central characters know anything about contentious acts done on their behalf.

:bah:

The other newspaper tends to be a wee bit quicker with newsflashes, posted today 04:38PM it says. Unquotable, but not really surprising 'PM: no role in Thaksin passport'.

Our PM has a clear history of not knowing what her cabinet members are up to. Those fine people were selected on knowledge, capabilities and potential. An interpretation of that I leave to others ;)

United Press International is quotable:

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she was not involved in the decision to re-issue a passport to Thaksin, her older brother.

Read more:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/12/02/Exiled-Thaksin-to-get-Thai-passport-soon/UPI-48771322835714/#ixzz1fOXHjJVT

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

Followed by another breaking news article there with the obligatory denial by PM Yingluck of having anything to do with the return of the passport for her brother.

It all follows the same checklist used during the failed pardon request. None of the central characters know anything about contentious acts done on their behalf.

The other newspaper tends to be a wee bit quicker with newsflashes, posted today 04:38PM it says. Unquotable, but not really surprising 'PM: no role in Thaksin passport'.

Our PM has a clear history of not knowing what her cabinet members are up to. Those fine people were selected on knowledge, capabilities and potential. An interpretation of that I leave to others ;)

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she was not involved in the decision to re-issue a passport to Thaksin, her older brother.

Read more:

http://www.upi.com/T.../#ixzz1fOXHjJVT

I am sure she was not involved in the decision. He made the decision and she just acted upon his orders

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin’s legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

Read more:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/12/02/Exiled-Thaksin-to-get-Thai-passport-soon/UPI-48771322835714/#ixzz1fOXHjJVT

Any one of the soi dogs outside here barking could have predicted that lie coming, its incredible that even the most ardent pt supporters manage not to admit embarrassment but i think in reality they cringe in private or they must have a very off moral compass.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

Even though I completely agree with you. Governments have crossed this line for quite some time. In the good ole' US of A, land of 'freedom', if you fail to pay child support (very costly and for many unaffordable on their low income) then your passport gets revoked as well as your driving license. Obscene but true...

To expect a government today to actually do the fair and just thing, is a pipedream these days. I personally think that if Thaksin did spend time in prison, that he would get the lesson of a lifetime and possibly become a politician who really knows the society he represents from top to bottom. But I think that most politicians should spend some time in prison, not necessarily because they are guilty of a crime, just because their needs to be a serious reality check for these people who live in their fancy bubbles of ignorance. Incarceration institutions of the world were supposed to be there as a form of rehabilitaiton, but their development has pretty much been at a standstill since the dark ages and rehabilitation is all but forgotten and punishment is the rule of thumb.

I am sure she was not involved in the decision. He made the decision and she just acted upon his orders

I think its more clear that she simply appointed the people he needed and she has taken no further actions regarding this matter in order to save face. But she could have taken action to block it if she wore the shirt of a different color.

I believe he will come back, but when he does their will be a sniper hidden somewhere waiting for that one moment. If I was him, I would be very worried for my life, especially when visiting Bangkok Lake.

From wiki on passports:

"Passports as government property

Most countries declare by law that passports are government property, and may be limited or revoked at any time, usually on specified grounds. A limitation or a revocation is generally subject to judicial review.[edit]

Passports and bail

In many countries, surrender of a passport is made a condition of granting bail.[24] While on bail a person may be barred from applying for a passport or collecting a passport already applied for."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport

Conclusion: giving k. Thaksin a new passport for New Year is an affront to all Thai who can't even get a dry New Year.

Edited by rubl

why would that be illegal many people have thai and american passports.you can be a duel citizen

How can you even issue anything by any government to a convicted felon on the run? Amazing Thailand, it's a MIRACLE

How can you????????? Are you kidding? ? Who, is the Foreign Minister? and who is he related to?? This class of people live by their own set of rules, not the ones that they make for the rest of the population. And thats not just in Thailand, it goes for just about everywhere in the world. Priviledged characters like this think they can do whatever they want and if no one opposes it, then they might just get away with it.

Edited by timberboy

There's nowhere he can't go on Montenegran passport that he can go on a Thai one. And nothing stopping the govt giving him one, nor can he use it to get into Thailand. But make no mistake, my friends, that's the sounding shot, let the war begin. No doubt about it, the arsenal is all lined up on the horizon, not even bothering to use stealth or conceal their attack.

of which one of them??? the passport that use the most in the last page only says that it is valid for 6 years and etc, nothing about revoke it.

I doubt any passport has the word revoke on it, but it should have the words property of.

And it usually isn't you.

He won't tell us his Nationality, because it would be simple for us to check it out.

I would never have guessed that ;)

Still, as it is now Panto season, can we all shout "he's behind you"

Guess what, we'de be right.

The Thai people elected the current government, knowing they would pardon Thaksin.

The people who fitted him up lost.

If they were to round up all the people who oppose the wishes of the majority of Thais, and the elected government.

Things might get easier for everyone.

48% is not a majority. But even it it was "round up all the people that oppose" doesn't sound like democracy to me. Should they grab any Jews, homosexuals, or gypsies as well?

Thaksin to get 'new passport'

The Nation

30171192-01_big.jpg

Surapong plans New Year's gift for ex-premier; same mandate to be used to revoke Kasit's cancellation order

The government is close to reissuing a passport to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday, denying there was a link between the issuing of the passport and the fugitive former PM's homecoming.

"I want the passport to be a New Year gift for him," he said.

Surapong said his ministry was putting the finishing touches to a regular passport and dismissed speculation that Thaksin would be granted diplomatic travel papers.

He said that though his predecessor Kasit Piromya had invoked a ministerial jurisdiction to cancel Thaksin's passport, he would rely on the same mandate to revoke the order.

"The issuing of a passport is solely under the jurisdiction of the Foreign Ministry," he said in defiance of Thaksin's opponents.

He also said that he deemed it appropriate to issue Thaksin a passport despite his fugitive status, because other fugitives, like veteran politicians Somchai Kunplome and Vatana Assavahame, still had their passports.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, meanwhile, said that she had nothing to do with the matter though she fully supported the Foreign Ministry's work as sanctioned by relevant laws and regulations.

"I confirm that my government will do everything in accordance with the rule of law," she said.

Yingluck added that the issue of Thaksin being granted a passport should be seen in the context of every Thai citizen being given fair and equitable treatment.

She added that she would not interfere with the Foreign Ministry's review on whether or not to reissue the passport.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the government seems to be giving higher priority to rescuing Thaksin rather than helping flood victims, and warned that this hasty move to bring the former leader back would drive a deeper wedge in society.

The former PM's legal adviser, Noppadon Pattama, said reissuing Thaksin's passport was the first step towards restoring justice for his client.

Thaksin is currently using a passport issued by Montenegro, he said, adding that the ex-premier's travel plans will not be affected by whether or not he has a Thai passport.

"Getting a national passport will be a gesture of rectifying the injustice inflicted on Thaksin," he said.

He added that Abhisit's government had tried but failed to stop Thaksin from travelling, and also rejected speculation of protests erupting in opposition to Thaksin being re-issued a passport.

Tul Sitthisomwong, leader of the multicoloured shirts, said he would launch legal proceedings, including an impeachment motion, against Surapong if he authorised a passport for a fugitive like Thaksin.

As an upholder of the law, the government is obliged to track down Thaksin and bring him back to serve his jail term, Tul said, lashing out at Surapong for helping the fugitive elude punishment.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-03

Even though I completely agree with you. Governments have crossed this line for quite some time. In the good ole' US of A, land of 'freedom', if you fail to pay child support (very costly and for many unaffordable on their low income) then your passport gets revoked as well as your driving license. Obscene but true...

To expect a government today to actually do the fair and just thing, is a pipedream these days. I personally think that if Thaksin did spend time in prison, that he would get the lesson of a lifetime and possibly become a politician who really knows the society he represents from top to bottom. But I think that most politicians should spend some time in prison, not necessarily because they are guilty of a crime, just because their needs to be a serious reality check for these people who live in their fancy bubbles of ignorance. Incarceration institutions of the world were supposed to be there as a form of rehabilitaiton, but their development has pretty much been at a standstill since the dark ages and rehabilitation is all but forgotten and punishment is the rule of thumb.

Let's confirm his Madella parallel - 27 years should be long enough to reform him.

"I want the passport to be a New Year gift for him," he said.

I often wonder if Thai politicians' comments ( of any party ) are actually translated accurately because the old adage of " engaging brain before opening mouth " seems to be a completely alien concept.

Sometimes they make the &lt;deleted&gt; who run our countries in the west and their verbal diarrhea look like the epitome of discretion and tact.

Edited by mca