Mae Sot Checkpoint Reopening December 5th

Mae Sot checkpoint reopening Dec 5

The Mae Sot-Myawaddy checkpoint on the Thai-Burmese border will be reopened on Dec 5 after more than a year of closure, Tak deputy governor Wuthi Sithisurat said on Saturday.

Mr Wuthi said he had been confirmed of the reopening of the checkpoint by the governor of Myawaddy.

Burma had invited Thai authorities and leading members of the Tak Chamber of Commerce and Federation of Thai Industries to attend the opening ceremony of a border economic zone on Dec 5.

The ceremony would be attended by high-level Burmese officials from Naypyidaw, the Burmese capital.

Mr Wuthi said there would not be a ceremony to mark the reopening of the checkpoint, which has been closed since July 18 last year.

The Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge would be opened as usual.

Sources said the reopening of the Mae Sot-Myawaddy checkpoint followed a contact between Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul and the Burmese counterpart.

Source: Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/269106/mae-sot-checkpoint-reopening-dec-5

Aint it always the way.

Went up to Mai Sai at the weekend for a visa run and my 90 days doesnt run out until Thursday.

Oh well easy run next February.

Does anyone happen to know which is closer by car from Chiang Mai, Mai Sai or Mae Sot?

re .. The Mae Sot-Myawaddy checkpoint on the Thai-Burmese border will be reopened on Dec 5 after more than a year of closure,

one year ? .... more like three or four ?

i went there in may 06 and they closed it not long after that .. unless others know better ?

heres the border posts .. dave2

post-42592-0-28206200-1323094026_thumb.j

post-42592-0-16990200-1323094389_thumb.j

post-42592-0-80660500-1323094421_thumb.j

post-42592-0-33652400-1323094455_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Has anyone successfully crossed THIS year, I need to go next month so would appreciate up to date information. Brilliant if true!!

After reading some of the reports from the Central Thailand forum,it appears plenty of blokes have successfully done the Mae Sot border run this year.

• Like 1

Has anyone successfully crossed THIS year, I need to go next month so would appreciate up to date information. Brilliant if true!!

After reading some of the reports from the Central Thailand forum,it appears plenty of blokes have successfully done the Mae Sot border run this year.

Being such fantastic news to all in central Thailand I thought the mod's would have 'pinned' it or at least published the fact MAE SOT IS OPEN!!!!!

Being such fantastic news to all in central Thailand I thought the mod's would have 'pinned' it or at least published the fact MAE SOT IS OPEN!!!!!

I'm highly delighted about it opening as well,mate.It's under a 2hr. drive from where I live.Infinitely better than venturing across into Cambodia or Laos.

I'm highly delighted about it opening as well,mate.It's under a 2hr. drive from where I live.Infinitely better than venturing across into Cambodia or Laos.

I need to go on 16th Feb but a friend went last week and it was shut again!!! What is happening??