!!

Snake

petercallen

You're probably better off posting this on the Plants, Pets and Vets forum.

I'm a bit worried though - I've seen a couple of VERY long, thick snakes in my garden that I assumed were rat snakes. Obviously they weren't!

They weren't aggressive and scurried off - we frightened each other - but I'm now wondering whether they were cobras.

I know they're around (I've seen them), but those I've recognised have been aggressive.

Edited by F1fanatic

Cobra, or, red-necked keelback snake.

Both very common in Phuket.

I do not think it was a cobra i have seen them here, this snake just took of

the cobras i have seen if they feel threatened coil and raise there hood

As you say doubt it was a cobra. Maybe the red-neck snake ..

134148414.kYGW95cZ.jpg

Mildly dangerous ....

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/red-necked-keelback-venomous-mildly-dangerous/

Quote "There is NO ANTI-VENIN available yet for these snakes."

Cobra, or, red-necked keelback snake.

Both very common in Phuket.

I do not think it was a cobra i have seen them here, this snake just took of

the cobras i have seen if they feel threatened coil and raise there hood

As you say doubt it was a cobra. Maybe the red-neck snake ..

134148414.kYGW95cZ.jpg

Mildly dangerous ....

http://www.thailands...ldly-dangerous/

Quote "There is NO ANTI-VENIN available yet for these snakes."

By the description no,

The snake was a uniform dark grey colour, but it was very timid

We had a snake in the house a while ago, it was curled around the cables underneath the computer desk. Only realized it was there when the dog started eyeballing it. Light grey colour, supposedly a tree snake & not poisonous but I was not about to put it to the test.

We had a snake in the house a while ago, it was curled around the cables underneath the computer desk. Only realized it was there when the dog started eyeballing it. Light grey colour, supposedly a tree snake & not poisonous but I was not about to put it to the test.

There a quite a lot of snakes where you live even though its in the middle of Chalong

First day we shifted in there we saw a leaf green snake in the tree next door over a metre long

Also had a small grey snake in the yard

Lady further up the street had a cobra in her yard

There a quite a lot of snakes where you live even though its in the middle of Chalong

Sure, living in the middle of a heavily populated area doesn't guarantee a snake free existence. I used to live smack in the middle of downtown Hua Hin, and the British guy who had a guesthouse down the soi encountered snakes in his backyard a number of times.

First day we shifted in there we saw a leaf green snake in the tree next door over a metre long

Also had a small grey snake in the yard

Lady further up the street had a cobra in her yard

Partly due to the vacant areas behind both sides of the soi. One time the guy next door had a king cobra in yard up the side of the house. A couple of time cats have brought back baby snakes which I understand can also be poisonous.

Partly due to the vacant areas behind both sides of the soi. One time the guy next door had a king cobra in yard up the side of the house. A couple of time cats have brought back baby snakes which I understand can also be poisonous.

The baby poisonous snakes have the same venom as the adults but not as much are are easy to handle

Leave the adults alone if possible and they will go away

The baby poisonous snakes have the same venom as the adults but not as much are are easy to handle

Leave both the adults AND babies alone.

A common misconception is that baby snake are deadlier than adults. While not proven scientifically, it would seem that an adult cobra can control the the amount of venom delivered, if any, with each bite, depending on the threat it feels. A baby snake has no control over the amount of venom delivered by its bite, thus always giving a full dose. A baby cobra is fully able to defend itself in as little as three hours after entering the world. Cobras are completely immune to the venom produced by their species.

http://www.cobras.org/cob_3.htm

Edited by KarenBravo

A common misconception is that baby snake are deadlier than adults. While not proven scientifically, it would seem that an adult cobra can control the the amount of venom delivered, if any, with each bite, depending on the threat it feels. A baby snake has no control over the amount of venom delivered by its bite, thus always giving a full dose. A baby cobra is fully able to defend itself in as little as three hours after entering the world. Cobras are completely immune to the venom produced by their species.

Exactly. I had a baby cobra in my drainage channel a couple of months ago (I was attracted by my dogs' barking). Understandably, it was v aggressive and knowing that the babies are able to deliver as toxic a bite as the adults - I moved all of us indoors in short order :lol:!

Exactly. I had a baby cobra in my drainage channel a couple of months ago (I was attracted by my dogs' barking). Understandably, it was v aggressive and knowing that the babies are able to deliver as toxic a bite as the adults - I moved all of us indoors in short order :lol:!

A baby you can safety pick up with a long pair of kitchen tongs

and release back into the wild

Where there is one baby snake, there are usually others.

Best leave them alone and don't handle them at all, tongs, or otherwise.........

Why are there usually others, snakes shift around to where there food source is

They are not people living in houses Although some develop a home territory mainly adults

There are snakes everywhere on Phuket even in Patong

Release them back into undeveloped areas and they do not worry anyone

Best leave them alone and don't handle them at all, tongs, or otherwise.........

Why are there usually others, snakes shift around to where there food source is

They are not people living in houses Although some develop a home territory mainly adults

There are snakes everywhere on Phuket even in Patong

Release them back into undeveloped areas and they do not worry anyone

How do you know that they haven't just left the nest?

Always, always err on the side of caution.

It's the pretend Steve Irwins that think they know about snakes that always get bitten.

Exactly. The babies realised this was not a 'safe' habitat (too many dogs) and would move on.