Koolpuntville - Buying - Building

BlaMuek

Hi all,

We are interested in one of the Koolpunt projects. Buying a plot and having them build one of their designs with modifications.

So looking for advice from any members who have done similar or have other experience - good or bad - with this company.

Just starting on this, so all advice welcome.

Thanks.

I would think twice about having a home built in a country that only issues you a one year visa. Then you are not allowed to own the land your home sits on. I see some people put the title of the land in a Thais name, and there are a lot of sad stories about doing that. You have generally poor construction to deal with not to mention the political instability of Thailand. If the Thais have building inspectors, I would be embarrassed to admit being one of them. I'm sure you will receive several replies encouraging you to do this because misery loves company. Rent is very inexpensive in Chiang Mai, and affords you a stress free life. The longer you live in Thailand, the more pitfalls you will see in being a home owner here. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Personally, I think it depends on your situation. I have a wife for example, and can renew my visa relatively easily. I have lived in Thailand for 7 or 8 years, and while I think home ownership is not for everyone, certainly not the naive, I do think that, for some, it's not a bad decision.

So, back to the OP.... Anyone got feedback on these projects? I too am looking into buying a house soon, and I would like to know about this company too.

Koolpuntville definitely one the top dog of developers in CNX.

If you guys are thinking about getting house build to a EU standard quality with the kind of money we are paying them you can almost forget about it otherwise Koolpuntville are absolutely fine.

IMOHO i rated Koolpuntville as AAA developer on local standard but they are also other AAA developers worth looking at who give better benefits.

I have rented a house as an office on Koolpuntville 7 for 10 years and I have three close friends - two Thai and one Farang - who have bought properties there. I live in a Thai village nearby.

The houses are very well built and strong - lots of steel rebar. The sliding doors, door locks and sliding mosquito screens at the doors are poor and break easily.

The estate is well maintained and clean, the security good, and prices are very reasonable for what you get.

There is a good swimming pool, a small park for exercising, two restaurants - one, 'Good Times' - is quite outstanding - and several small shops.

The roads are very wide, but some flood to a depth of a few inches in very heavy rain - never enough to enter the gardens let alone houses.

The people living there are a mix of Thai and foreigners - mainly Westerners, Koreans and Japanese. There are several American missionary families, but they keep to themselves and don't preach on the estate.

In sum, it's a good development.

Edited by dru2

We are living on Koolpunt Ville 12, this is a very nice Moobaan, Very good quality build houses very good prices compared to the estates around us.

As I see there are some people looking to buy an house I can tell you that our house is for sale as we want to move back in 1 or 2 years to Europe.

We have a big house what will cost in Europe maybe 5 times the money we have invested in it, we have a beautiful corner plot nice garden with fountain, plants water system etc,

Nice size plot, and a house of 340m2.

So if you are looking for quality and you are interested then contact me then I will send you the adress of our website so that you can see the quality of the builder and what you can get.

Koolpuntville 12 is not the cheapest moo baan houses starts here over 2.8M THB so this is well maintenend as this is working class.

JME

Two things:

1. Not all Koolpunt Ville developments are aimed at the same market / price point. Some are a bit more up-market, with larger average plots, and/or more up-market because they are close to town.

2. All developments, Koolpunt or any other, are sooner or later handed over to the individual home owners. Typically they are managed by the developer at least until all plots are sold, or for as long as enough individual home-owners pay the monthly fees. When people stop paying the monthly fees, which they inevitably will especially in lower-end developments, then the company hands over management of the services to the home owners, who in theory can then form an organization to take care of this, similar to the way condominium buildings are handed over. Again more often than not, especially in lower-end developments, nothing much happens, so that is when there's no more security guards or up-keep of roads, green areas or even the club house/swimming pool. If lucky, and if the development isn't completely in the middle of nowhere then at least all houses are connected to the municipal water supply and garbage collection.

So if you buy in a development at all, better make it an extremely up-market one. For examples of what the lower-end ones will look like in 10 years, there are plenty examples around town.

I guess that was more than two things, but I'm not re-numbering. :P

Buying on a moo-baan

Ties up your money.

You can't sell because the developer will always undersell you.

The plot is smaller and more expensive than outside.

There are always many empty and overgrown houses after a few years.

There are always 100s of barking dogs all night.

As a foreigner, you can't own it anyway, you are just giving money to your Thai gf/wife

Just my opinion.

I would think twice about having a home built in a country that only issues you a one year visa. Then you are not allowed to own the land your home sits on. I see some people put the title of the land in a Thais name, and there are a lot of sad stories about doing that. You have generally poor construction to deal with not to mention the political instability of Thailand. If the Thais have building inspectors, I would be embarrassed to admit being one of them. I'm sure you will receive several replies encouraging you to do this because misery loves company. Rent is very inexpensive in Chiang Mai, and affords you a stress free life. The longer you live in Thailand, the more pitfalls you will see in being a home owner here. Good luck in whatever you decide.

+1

Agree totally.

Buying on a moo-baan

Ties up your money.

You can't sell because the developer will always undersell you.

No comments/argument on your other points, but this one I don't understand.

You pays your money, you gets your house. Then you have a house. Which you can try to sell just like any other house. So yes, it ties up money, of course, just like when your wife/partner buys gold, stock, or anything else with some lasting value.

This sort of topic always brings out the moaning mollies telling us never to invest in Thailand, never buy a house here, etc etc. It probably says more about those who post such negative advice than about Thailand. If you plan to live here for an extended period, BlaMuek, then it probably makes every sense to go ahead and buy a house. I have and certainly do not regret it.

Alhough I thought a BlaMuek would be looking for a house under the sea, rather than in Koolpuntville...

This sort of topic always brings out the moaning mollies telling us never to invest in Thailand, never buy a house here, etc etc. It probably says more about those who post such negative advice than about Thailand. If you plan to live here for an extended period, BlaMuek, then it probably makes every sense to go ahead and buy a house. I have and certainly do not regret it.

Alhough I thought a BlaMuek would be looking for a house under the sea, rather than in Koolpuntville...

Moaning mollies?? Lol, I think not. Thailand doesn't allow foreigners to own the land their home sits on. To most people that would be something to think about. There are several ways around this law but none are very good. Then of course there is the political instability of Thailand, not to mention the fact the Thai government will only allow foreigners a one year visa which is renewable every year. This alone should make most rethink their decision to purchase a home in Thailand. I have met people who still purchase homes here and many have sad stories. For the people who are happy with being a home owner in Thailand then good on you. I think the pitfalls of home ownership are right up there with trying to navigate your way through a mine field. Selling them for a profit isn't that easy either.

Moaning mollies?? Lol, I think not. Thailand doesn't allow foreigners to own the land their home sits on. To most people that would be something to think about. There are several ways around this law but none are very good. Then of course there is the political instability of [...]

It's just a little tiresome to have this same discussion every single time any kind of house purchase or building question comes up; thi one was a question on a specific local developer.

To me what it comes down to is that in there isn't a single country on the planet where you can take a house with you into the afterlife.

By the time my house will be paid off it's pretty much time for my kids to inherit it anyway. When I'm at the pearly gates looking over my shoulder, the view is pretty much the same as when I would have bought in the country with the best property laws in the world.

Moaning mollies?? Lol, I think not. Thailand doesn't allow foreigners to own the land their home sits on. To most people that would be something to think about. There are several ways around this law but none are very good. Then of course there is the political instability of Thailand, not to mention the fact the Thai government will only allow foreigners a one year visa which is renewable every year. This alone should make most rethink their decision to purchase a home in Thailand. I have met people who still purchase homes here and many have sad stories. For the people who are happy with being a home owner in Thailand then good on you. I think the pitfalls of home ownership are right up there with trying to navigate your way through a mine field. Selling them for a profit isn't that easy either.

It is a specific situation here with visas and different mentality,but if you have a wife and children,than you would like to have a home for them ...and I don't think you can make a real "home" ranting a property.I always like to make improvements "my way",so I don't think how one can do it without actually buying a property (OK,some can...)....and I know people "leaving" the marriage in other countries without anything after divorce,or something like that....so,no biggy...it's the price of a good car only anyway...:)

...but building a new house,one have to know the "ropes" and be prepared for big headaches...buying ready-made is easier...at least the first time.