File Transfers

gennisis

A few months ago using the Windows file transfer program I stored all my music files from my XP computer on a usb drive,the intention being to transfer on to my new Windows 7 computer.

I didnt like Windows 7, so had XP Pro installed on the new computer and life continued in my XP rut !!

I wanted to install my music files from the usb...But.. Windows wont open the files and when it suggests that I look for the file opening program, Windows File transfer isnt listed....seems strange to me since it was one of their programs...but...what do I know ! So..can any of you computer experts out there suggest anything?? I've got 5 GB of music I cant hear!!

You have not said how you have tried to see or access the files.

Can you not use the files and transfer wizard on your XP pro? It gives you the option of 'New computer' and to transfer the files onto the new unit from a variety of sources.

Go into help and support off the start bar and type in File Transfer. There you get the option of using the wizard to do it.

I am not sure what you are trying, but with the good old

Windows File Explorer, you should be able to see the files on the USB

then just drag them to a suitable folder on your pc

No special transfer program needed.

Unless you compressed the files in some way?

If so you need the same compression program to expand them again

What is the extension on the files .mp3 .zip .arc etc?

I am not sure what you are trying, but with the good old

Windows File Explorer, you should be able to see the files on the USB

then just drag them to a suitable folder on your pc

No special transfer program needed.

Unless you compressed the files in some way?

If so you need the same compression program to expand them again

What is the extension on the files .mp3 .zip .arc etc?

Windows file transfer that the OP has used does compress files before they are transferred to another drive. It gives the option for new computer or old computer. So if the OP opens Windows File Transfer he should be able to now transfer the files from his 'old' computer to the new one as this is the program he used in the first instance.

Windows file transfer that he is looking for is in Windows help and support on the new XP pro he has installed and not on the USB drive.

In effect he has to do the reverse of what he did initially.

Because the OP does not say what he has tried to do at this point makes it difficult to be able to help more.