O-A Visa Processing Time/Valid Execution Period

After two years, I decided to finally stop doing the double entry tourist visas and do the paperwork necessary for the O-A visa. I have all the paperwork ready to go, but want to get some idea about how long it could typically take for the consulate(New York City in my case) to process the visa assuming the paperwork is all in order. On a double entry, it just took one business day. I am asking because I need my passport for another overseas trip before I leave for Thailand.

In the same vein, how long is the period between the time the visa is issued to when it needs to be presented to immigration on arrival in Thailand for activation without expiring. I know some visas from other countries need to be activated anywhere from 30- 90 days from the issue day or the visa. Again, I am asking about the length of the activation period, not the length of the O-A period - 1 year.This has to do with the overseas trip before i go to Thailand.

I would like to get the O-A`before I leave for the 10 days non-Thailand trip and then after a few days back in the states, fly off to Thailand. But I don't want my passport tied up at the Thai consulate to interfere with my other overseas trip and don't want to apply for the O-A visa too early and have the activation period expire before I get on the airplane to Thailand.

Believe the Long Stay O-A visa is only sold as multi entry in the US (too many people made the mistake of leaving without a re-entry permit and losing there one year stay with the single entry version).

You will have to check with Consulate on how long it takes to issue - believe it is quite fast.

Going the O-A route you will need Medical and Police reports which could slow the process up.

Why not get an O and extend within Thailand on basis of retirement, no reports needed and issued relatively quickly.

Edited by CharlieH

Going the O-A route you will need Medical and Police reports which could slow the process up.

Why not get an O and extend within Thailand on basis of retirement, no reports needed and issued relatively quickly.

Seems the OP has all the paperwork ready to go, as stated in his original post.

As for the advantages of an O-A over an O and extensions: no need to bring money to Thailand to qualify, especially handy if your cash is in retirement accounts, which might incur a tax penalty for early withdrawal, as well as nearly two years of pre-approved permit to stay, multiple entry (except that after the first year - original validity - you need to get a re-entry permit if you want to leave and com back during your second year), with no need to ever see an Immigration Officer (except the one that stamps you in/out). No uncertainty as to which hoops you need to jump through, depending on which office you apply to, etc.

It's actually a brilliant way to spend enough time here to see if a longer stay is really going to work out. Just not having to keep nearly US$30K in a low-to-no-interest savings account, which you might have a hard time repatriating (unless you know ahead of time to get the paperwork from the bank), is worth the week delay for the Police report, and the doctor's sign off. Too bad so few people understand these things, and use this excellent program. Maybe if they did, I wouldn't have to explain to Immigration what a Long Stay (O-A) visa is, every time I need something from them.