Dtac Network Crashed For Everyone?

sajal

The scenario I pieced together is that from approx. 10:30 AM until 3:00 PM on Wednesday, 21 December 2011 DTAC suffered a network disruption affecting ~ 70% (14 million customers) of their subscriber base. They were transitioning from a Nokia-Siemens Network subscriber management system to a newer Ericsson system. The HLR (Home Location Register, basically allows SIMs onto the network) system had some problems. Outages were associated with blocks of SIM numbers rather than location. I am a DTAC customer, for a few more months anyway, and was unaffected. However many, many people in my immediate vicinity were affected.

Edited by lomatopo

The disruption continued into the late evening. It was mostly people calling into DTAC Phones that found the number to be engaged or not available, if people from DTAC called out there was no problem, also SMS's could be sent in both directions without any problems.

The disruption continued into the late evening. It was mostly people calling into DTAC Phones that found the number to be engaged or not available, if people from DTAC called out there was no problem, also SMS's could be sent in both directions without any problems.

Nope, I couldn't send or receive SMS, during the outrage they all 'disappeared' into the ether.

Nope, I couldn't send or receive SMS, during the outrage they all 'disappeared' into the ether.

I received and sent to my wife as usual, admittedly a little delayed, but they got there. (she uses DTAC and I use AIS). I couldn't call her but she could call me. My landline also worked to her phone.

Edited by beano2274

The service outage basically meant that subscribers were not connected to the network: no signal, because their SIM could not be registered with the HLR. This means that they could call out, could not receive calls nor could the send or receive SMSes, us 2G or 3G. As I understand it everyone had connectivity by 3:00 PM.

As mentioned not all subscribers were affected.

The service outage basically meant that subscribers were not connected to the network: no signal, because their SIM could not be registered with the HLR. This means that they could call out, could not receive calls nor could the send or receive SMSes, us 2G or 3G. As I understand it everyone had connectivity by 3:00 PM.

As mentioned not all subscribers were affected.

I checked last night at around 9pm and it still was not working correctly, I checked again this morning at 6.30 ish and it was okay.