Magic Jack Plus

BangkokImages

It looks like both devices ring through with an oncoming call - mJ must "ring" both IP addresses - at least that's how it worked for me so far.

Not being able to close or exit the app. is a major bug, which I assume will be corrected. No Android apps. are designed so that they must be FCed.

Now it would be great if we could receive SMSes.

So far this looks pretty good - call quality seems equivalent on WiFi. Need to test 3G

Talkatone allows you to make free phone calls to any USA or Canada number from your Android or Ipad.

(or anyone else in the world running it)

Why would you pay for something you can use for free?

Incoming calls? Voicemail?

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of the MJ app on your Android phone is free also, both for incoming and outgoing calls, assuming you already have a paid MJ account, which is $29.95 per year now.

I love free... free Skype, free Viber, free NetTalk, free Google Talk, etc etc etc...

But the reason to have/use a paid service, presumably, is you have some greater likelihood of ongoing service and continuation of the business compared to the "free" model. Google Talk has been free, but who knows how long that will continue. The Internet is littered with great startup technology ideas that ran for a year or two and then were bought out or closed up.

With MJ, at least, I signed up for and paid for a service that I hoped would be around for years to come, and the phone number I selected would be one I'd be able to continue to use for a long time. So far, that's proven to be a good call... especially for getting a year's worth of home phone service here in Thailand for the price of a one month home phone bill in the U.S.

Google Talk has been free, but who knows how long that will continue.

Google Talk is more of an IM app. Maybe you are thinking about Google Voice? Google Voice does include a real ten digit telephone number, free incoming/outgoing calling in the U.S./Canada through 12/31/2012, SMS origination/reception, voicemail, and a number of other features. With a compatible ATA, like the OBi100, or an app. like GrooVeIP, one can actually get more robust services, than those provided by mJ, via Google Voice. I suspect Google Voice will be around for the long term, but whether it remains free is obviously unknown. We probably won't know if it will remain free, or what the fee structure might be, in 2013 until mid-December.

Talkatone allows you to make free phone calls to any USA or Canada number from your Android or Ipad.

Based on your "or anyne else in the world running it" makes it sounds like its another one of those Apps where the other person has to be running the same App in order to talk to each other. But if you wanted to call someone on a landline or cellphone (not running the App) you couldn't unless maybe the App does have that function but it cost extra per minute. I like the ability to be able to call anyone without them needing to have a computer/smartphone/running the same App/etc., and the ability for them to call me for next to nothing or free by dialing my number from a regular phone/mobile phone....and dear ol' grandma ain't never used a computer/smartphone and the abbreviated word App don't register with her.

Re the MJ Android app, I've had it running on my phone the past few days, and without having made any other changes to my phone during that time, it did seem to be draining my battery quite more rapidly than had been the case before. So I ended up force closing the app, but keeping it installed, and now my battery is back to its prior usual performance.

I did make one call to the U.S. with the M.J. app that went thru OK, although the voice quality I got just on that one call was just OK, but wasn't as good as a followup call I made a couple minutes later using the GrooveIP app.

I uninstalled the Android mJ app. The battery drain issue, along with no way to exit the app., make it pretty much useless. Maybe it will get better, but mJ are more of a HW company so I have limited expectations? However this may lead to other "options". ;)

• 5 months later...

Just to update on this a bit... As mentioned previously, I too had gripes about the MJ Android app draining the battery on my phone and not having a command in the app to easily close it.

But, because I use the original MJ device regularly at my home, I've kept the MJ Android app on my Android mobile phone, and adopted the following approach.

--Whenever I want to use the MJ Android app to make calls to the U.S. using my Android phone and its Wifi service, I launch and run the MJ App.

--As soon as I'm done with my calls, I go into the phone's Settings/Apps menu, and force close the MJ app, so it doesn't keep running or using any battery power.

I don't really rely on my Android phone for INCOMING calls on my MJ number. I rely on the MJ device attached to my home PC to answer those calls, or if I'm not home, to go to its automatic voicemail system. But it's sure nice to have an easy means of making U.S. calls for free with the MJ app on my Android phone, no matter where I may be.

This week, I was making a bunch of family calls back to the States, and decided to give the MJ Android app a run using my home wifi, even though I had my MJ device available nearby. I must say, the call quality over the MJ Android app was excellent, clear, no echo, no static, etc etc... It also says it will work with either wifi or 3G, though I've only tested mine using wifi.

I hadn't really noticed before, but in my use this week, I also noticed the MJ Android app gives you direct access to two different contacts directories...those being the phone directory on your Android phone itself, and also the phone directory of your Magic Jack service, which I found a very nice feature.

Here's what the main screens of the Android app look like:

post-58284-0-90193200-1362130348_thumb.j

post-58284-0-71054400-1362130356_thumb.j

post-58284-0-28166200-1362130368_thumb.j

Let the "force close" command in the Settings/App menu be your friend, when you're not using the MJ app...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I haven't used my mJ is eons; Google Voice is free again for 2013 so prefer using GrooVeIP for portability, quality, etc.

I guess I am disappointed that the mJ Android app. is still so lame; have they not had any new updates or releases? FCing an app. is a pitiful requirement.

Based on your "or anyne else in the world running it" makes it sounds like its another one of those Apps where the other person has to be running the same App in order to talk to each other. But if you wanted to call someone on a landline or cellphone (not running the App) you couldn't unless maybe the App does have that function but it cost extra per minute. I like the ability to be able to call anyone without them needing to have a computer/smartphone/running the same App/etc., and the ability for them to call me for next to nothing or free by dialing my number from a regular phone/mobile phone....and dear ol' grandma ain't never used a computer/smartphone and the abbreviated word App don't register with her.

No, with Talkatone I can call to US and Canadain landlines and mobiles free of charge. It requires Google Voice number though.

Just now I called to the US and Canada and the quality of calls is OK.

P.S.

BTW, I'm still can not make calls to US and Canada using GrooVe IP app.

Edited by MikeWill

No, with Talkatone I can call to US and Canadain landlines and mobiles free of charge. It requires Google Voice number though.

Just now I called to the US and Canada and the quality of calls is OK.

P.S.

BTW, I'm still can not make calls to US and Canada using GrooVe IP app.

I haven't used my mJ is eons; Google Voice is free again for 2013 so prefer using GrooVeIP for portability, quality, etc.

I guess I am disappointed that the mJ Android app. is still so lame; have they not had any new updates or releases? FCing an app. is a pitiful requirement.

Thanks in part to your prior posts and directions, I also this week finally got around to setting up the connection between one of my Google Voice accounts and my GrooveIP Android app, and after some tinkering, was finally able to get it to the right status... where incoming calls to my U.S. Google Voice number ring through to my Thai mobile number.

Unfortunately, getting all those things lined up correctly is fairly more complicated than just installing and using the MagicJack Android app, especially if you're already a paying customer for one of the Magic Jack USB devices.

For starters, with the Google Voice and Groove IP approach, the user has to have a full-fledged U.S. Google Voice account and U.S. Google Voice number assigned. And that may well require having access to a real U.S. phone number on which to receive a Google automated account verification call where you listen to a recording that gives you a numeric code that you then have to enter into the Google Voice website.

Then you have to set the Google Voice account to forward calls to Google Chat, using the Settings Menu in the web interface for Google Voice. Then you have to install GrooveIP on your Android phone and sign into that app using the same Google ID you've set up with the Google Voice account.

Because of the battery life issues seemingly associated with the MJ Android app, it doesnt make sense to keep it running on a Thai mobile phone. So it's not suited for a situation where someone wants to be receiving incoming calls on that MJ number. But just to use it for outgoing calls to the U.S., you launch it and it works fine. I saw no difference in call quality between the MJ and GrooveIP-Google Voice approaches.

But for a setup where you want to be receiving incoming calls, the GrooveIP-Google Voice approach clearly is superior, in part because the GrooveIP app doesn't seem to have the same battery draining problem as the MJ app does.

At this point, I'll be keeping both on my Android phone, and thus have two different U.S. numbers available for use -- the MJ one and the Google Voice one -- both offering free calls to the U.S. and Canada. It's also kind of a backup plan just in case Google Voice at some point in the future decides to start charging for Google Voice calls to U.S. numbers.

Unfortunately, re the Magic Jack Android app, there doesn't appear to have been any update to allow one to close or sign out of the app from within the app itself, and I agree that's a bad issue.

But I did notice in looking at the Google Play Store re all this, the Store data indicated the MJ app has been downloaded more than 1 million times, while the free GrooveIP Lite has been downloaded 100,000 plus times, and 50,000 plus times for the paid version of GrooveIP.

Regarding use of GrooVeIP with you GoogleVoice number, I do use it occasionally for calls to the U.S. just to exercise/test my GoogleVoice number, but I predominately use my NetTalkDuo device hooked between my router and cordless phone. But when I do use GrooVeIP I pretty much open GrooVeIP, make the call, and then exit/close GrooVeIP. I gave up in trying to get it to work reliably to ring/respond to "inbound" calls.

As mentioned in my other posts, usually after approx. 5-10 minutes after my Samsung Galaxy Ace II screens turn off to save power, GrooVeIP would stop responding/ringing for incoming calls. Sometimes it might respond to inbound calls for a few hours, but 90% of the time approx. 5-10 minutes after the screen goes dark GrooVeIP won't respond to inbound calls. Now, swipe my finger across the screen to get it our of screen/power savings mode which takes about a second, the screen/icons instantly appear, I look in the status bar at the top of the screen and the GV (GrooVeIP) icon is green indicating it still has a good connection to GoogleVoice servers (if no connection it is yellow). However, make a test call "to" your GoogleVoice number (like using my NetTalkDuo VOIP device) and GrooVeIP will not ring....you will hear the phone ring until my GoogleVoice voice mail picks...I can leave a voice mail and get a email sent to me...but GrooVeIP never responded/rang to that incoming call.

This occurs whether on a my DTAC mobile data or home wifi connection...but seems to hang in their a little better on the mobile connection but with the mobile connection the sound quality may not be as good as on a wifi connection. But if I have a VPN connection running I do not experience the problem, however, but, if I lose the VPN connection even for a few seconds and the VPN reconnects automatically, and the GV icon remains green but its back to not responding to inbound calls...I have to exit/close GrooVeIP and let it reconnect to the GoogleVoice servers...and it will indeed respond to inbound calls until my phone screen goes dark for 5 to 10 minutes. Other apps I have on the phone which use the internet to sync continue to work fine, connect to the internet, do their thing while my phone's screen is dark.

In my case I've just never been able to get GrooVeIP to reliably work for inbound calls on my Ace II. I would just recommend to anyone using GrooVeIP that just because its icon is Green in the status bar does not mean it will ring/respond to inbound calls. Best to do testing if you have a way to make test calls to your GoogleVoice number; hopefully, your GrooVeIP experience will result in inbound calls always ringing...just hasn't occurred in my case. With that being said, since my Ace II has had some minor firmware updates over the last few months, but still running 2.3.6 waiting for the Jelly Bean update, and GrooVeIP has updated itself several times maybe I'll do some more testing on the inbound call function.

Edited by Pib

I like Google Voice for the SMS origination/receipt, speech to text voice-mail, portability, flexibility, quality and of course, cost. Honestly, I'd pay for it. I have no problems receiving calls, even when I transition from home WiFi to 3G to 4G (in the U.S.) to work WiFi and then back to other WiFi networks. I do not have to do anything on my phone, or router(s) (i.e. port forwarding of TCP/5222 to the IP address for the phone), as everything works as expected. Obviously being able to make/receive calls anywhere is a huge benefit, but even when I am home I do not use my mJ anymore. The SMS option is handy for OTPs, among other things. Getting voice-mails delivered via Google Voice, rather than as a WAV attachment (as mJ does), instantaneously as well as in speech to text format, is another benefit.

Pib, I know this doesn't change the problem you're having with GrooveIP and your Samsung phone. But just in the interest of balance:

This morning, I had GrooveIP running on my Sony ICS phone, which is fed by my home wifi network. NO VPN or other things at work. Then I repeatedly let my phone sit, with the screen dark and not even unlocked.

Then I'd make a call to my phone's GoogleVoice/Groove IP number using the MagicJack USB phone attached to my PC.

Every time I punched the call button on my MagicJack, my mobile phone started ringing virtually instantaneously.

Never had any problem with the mobile phone not responding to incoming calls to its GoogleVoice/GrooveIP number.... even after sitting unused for extended periods.

Wish I could offer some suggestion to resolve the problem you've been having. But I know you've got your alternate approach working, in any event.

So just to say... the GrooveIP/GoogleVoice setup does work -- generally speaking -- on mobile phones here. Unless it happens not to on your particular phone.

Regarding use of GrooVeIP with you GoogleVoice number, I do use it occasionally for calls to the U.S. just to exercise/test my GoogleVoice number, but I predominately use my NetTalkDuo device hooked between my router and cordless phone. But when I do use GrooVeIP I pretty much open GrooVeIP, make the call, and then exit/close GrooVeIP. I gave up in trying to get it to work reliably to ring/respond to "inbound" calls.

As mentioned in my other posts, usually after approx. 5-10 minutes after my Samsung Galaxy Ace II screens turn off to save power, GrooVeIP would stop responding/ringing for incoming calls. Sometimes it might respond to inbound calls for a few hours, but 90% of the time approx. 5-10 minutes after the screen goes dark GrooVeIP won't respond to inbound calls. Now, swipe my finger across the screen to get it our of screen/power savings mode which takes about a second, the screen/icons instantly appear, I look in the status bar at the top of the screen and the GV (GrooVeIP) icon is green indicating it still has a good connection to GoogleVoice servers (if no connection it is yellow). However, make a test call "to" your GoogleVoice number (like using my NetTalkDuo VOIP device) and GrooVeIP will not ring....you will hear the phone ring until my GoogleVoice voice mail picks...I can leave a voice mail and get a email sent to me...but GrooVeIP never responded/rang to that incoming call.

This occurs whether on a my DTAC mobile data or home wifi connection...but seems to hang in their a little better on the mobile connection but with the mobile connection the sound quality may not be as good as on a wifi connection. But if I have a VPN connection running I do not experience the problem, however, but, if I lose the VPN connection even for a few seconds and the VPN reconnects automatically, and the GV icon remains green but its back to not responding to inbound calls...I have to exit/close GrooVeIP and let it reconnect to the GoogleVoice servers...and it will indeed respond to inbound calls until my phone screen goes dark for 5 to 10 minutes. Other apps I have on the phone which use the internet to sync continue to work fine, connect to the internet, do their thing while my phone's screen is dark.

In my case I've just never been able to get GrooVeIP to reliably work for inbound calls on my Ace II. I would just recommend to anyone using GrooVeIP that just because its icon is Green in the status bar does not mean it will ring/respond to inbound calls. Best to do testing if you have a way to make test calls to your GoogleVoice number; hopefully, your GrooVeIP experience will result in inbound calls always ringing...just hasn't occurred in my case. With that being said, since my Ace II has had some minor firmware updates over the last few months, but still running 2.3.6 waiting for the Jelly Bean update, and GrooVeIP has updated itself several times maybe I'll do some more testing on the inbound call function.

Pib, I suggest that you try install and configure Talkatone. It is easy.You'll be able to do all the things: call and get calls back,send SMSs, etc.

Pib, I suggest that you try install and configure Talkatone. It is easy.You'll be able to do all the things: call and get calls back,send SMSs, etc.

Thanks. I give Talkatone a try...already told Google Play to install it to my phone. I thought Talkatone was a Apple App only, but now see they have an Android version also.

So just to say... the GrooveIP/GoogleVoice setup does work -- generally speaking -- on mobile phones here. Unless it happens not to on your particular phone.

I agree...it could very well be my phone. As mentioned in my 10:51am post from this morning, I've had two firmware updates to my Ace II Gingerbread 2.3.6 over the past two months or so and I haven't done any GrooVeIP testing since those upgrades. I fired-up GrooVeIP using my DTAC mobile connection right after my above 10:51am post and then laid the phone down. About 30 minutes later I tried an inbound call and the phone rang...and just a few minutes ago I tried another call and it rang. So far, so good on mobile data with the current ongoing test, but in the tons of testing I did before the firmware upgrades there was one or two time before where I made it around 6-12 hours before the inbound calls stopped responding, so it's too early without more testing--to included testing on my home wifi (True DOCSIS)--to determine if maybe the firmware updates fixed my GrooVeIP issue. While I primarily use my home Nettalk setup for inbound/outbound calls to the U.S., it would be nice to get a phone App reliably working on my phone for inbound calls to my GoogleVoice number for special cases/emergencies/etc. Not being a working man anymore I don't need to be connected 24/7 for work related inbound calls. Cheers.

Had my GV/Groove IP logged in on my mobile all day right up until now... about 7 pm...

Just tried a couple of calls to the GV/GrooveIP number and they went thru fine...

It's been probably 5 hours or so since I last tried to call that number or in any way used the GV/GrooveIP functionality.

Apologies. I have been remiss in following up on my posting quite awhile back.

As information, I installed an Obihai "Obi100" device for use with my Google Voice number.

(No wireless frills, with this little device. Only, an ethernet connection.)

Setup on the Obihai server was quick (about ten minutes). Just followed the Obihai website tutorial to use Google voice with it. Simple instructions.

Voice is clear. Outgoing calls to US ring and connect quickly. Incoming calls are connected at pick up.

So, am happy with this little device. Bought on Amazon ($44.49 US). Friend shipped Regular Post (9.72 US). US calls free, at least until end of 2013. Hopefully, Google will extend again after that.

Cheers

Fortunately, there are a variety of different front end apps or other devices that work off the underlying Google Voice platform.

GrooveIP is just one of them. I believe the Talkatone app mentioned above is another. Similar with the Obi device.

On the flipside, MagicJack and NetTalk are their own separate operations/networks.

Since some time had passed, I thought I'd take another run at the battery usage dynamics of the GrooveIP/Google Voice apps on my Sony ICS phone compared to the usage of the MagicJack app, assuming both are left running on your phone.

The result: Magic Jack by far and away emerges as a battery hog, whereas the duo of GrooveIP and Google Voice barely registered any battery usage at all, when both were left on for hours without any actual usage of those apps on the phone.

Here's what the MagicJack app battery usage looked like:

post-58284-0-25675700-1362479639_thumb.j

Really don't want to leave the MJ App running on a battery-powered Android phone.

• 7 months later...

Apologies. I have been remiss in following up on my posting quite awhile back.

As information, I installed an Obihai "Obi100" device for use with my Google Voice number.

(No wireless frills, with this little device. Only, an ethernet connection.)

Setup on the Obihai server was quick (about ten minutes). Just followed the Obihai website tutorial to use Google voice with it. Simple instructions.

Voice is clear. Outgoing calls to US ring and connect quickly. Incoming calls are connected at pick up.

So, am happy with this little device. Bought on Amazon ($44.49 US). Friend shipped Regular Post (9.72 US). US calls free, at least until end of 2013. Hopefully, Google will extend again after that.

Cheers

Looks like they WON'T!!!! From Obihai's blog:

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Recently Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014 – that’s over 6 months from today. Since your OBi device uses XMPP to communicate with Google servers, the end of support will directly impact how your OBi device can be used with your Gmail account and its associated Google Voice phone number. Unfortunately, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device. Also, the ability to receive calls to your Google Voice number, directly from Google’s service, will not be possible.
Fortunately, your OBi device may be used with many Internet phone service providers – all providing very low-cost calling to the USA, Canada and almost every country in the world. Most offer subscriptions and pay-as-you-go plans starting from $1.30 per month (including E911) and rates starting at 1 cent per minute to the USA and Canada. The OBiTALK web portal can be used to easily configure an account from any of these services on your OBi. Of course, OBi-to-OBi calls, using the OBi number printed on the device, remain completely free.

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html

^ Believe that announcement relates only to using OBi ATA's with GV as GV is evidently moving away from XMPP. This also means that GrooVeIP will stop functioning on May 15, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrooVe-IP/118608074886558

Assume GV will remain free in 2014 but we won't know until we know.

Also assume GV functionality - inbound and outbound - will be rolled into Hangouts, thus enabling us to originate/terminate GV calls on Android devices?

Hangouts is designed to be the future of Google Voice, and making/receiving phone calls is just the beginning. Future versions of Hangouts will integrate Google Voice more seamlessly.

https://plus.google.com/106636280351174936240/posts/DG6h32BWaQW

http://phandroid.com/2013/10/31/new-hangouts-v2-will-support-sms-and-mms-but-google-voice-integration-will-take-some-time/

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Yes... I should have worded my opening transition better...

Meant to make it clear that the Obi devices won't be able to piggy back on Google Voice for free U.S. calls beyond the mid-May date.

Loma, thanks for adding in that GrooveIP is going to get undone/killed by the same Google technology change. BAD news that.... I wouldn't have put the two pieces of news together.

Re Google Hangouts, I believe I've been hearing (as your Phandroid link above point out) that the upcoming version of Google Hangouts is finally supposed to support SMS and MMS messaging.

But when and how Hangouts in the future will pick up for Google Voice functionality seems to be a bigger question.

The Phandroid article seems to have Google blaming third party folks perhaps like GrooveIP for the delays, but I don't understand the rationale/reasoning:

According to Googler Nikhyl Singhal, Google has run into some snags with getting Google Voice integrated into Hangouts. The explanation is kind of weird, but it has something to do with 3rd party developers using Google Voice services in their own apps, and it creating some kinda of headache for Google. Google has put those developers on notice, saying they have until May 15th, 2014 to cease and desist.

I like Google for their range of services and features. But I'm disinclined to rely on them too much for anything that isn't at the heart of their endeavors, because they just seem too flaky and inconsistent over time on the peripheral things (like VOIP telephone calling).

Maybe things will turn out well... But meanwhile, my MJ is roughly 5 years old and going strong. As long as I've got Internet access, it just works.

Well, heck fire!!! Will hate to see GrooVeIP not work anymore as it did come in handy sometimes. But my NetTalkDuo is still trucking along just fine here in Bangkok on a True internet plan...calls from and to the U.S. clear as a bell and reliability durn near 100%. Can't complain for $30/year ($2.50/month)...and I haven't been charged any taxes on my yearly renewal.

All the extra features and functionality: mobility, messaging, follow-me, speech to text, SMS, along with the price (free), of Google Voice make it an obvious choice. Who doesn't like 'free'? GV is integral to Google's (mobile/Android) strategy so expect it to both stay around, and be integrated into Hangouts before May 15, 2015, thus replacing my usage of GrooVeIP. "Flaky" is just not a word I associate with GV. I have transitioned many of my contacts from mJ to GV.

I did just re-up my mJ account; 5 years for $100. For $20 a year it's OK, I just wish they'd add some features, but understand they're a bit of low-budget operation. Just hope they stay around for another five years.

Slightly related, if anyone uses T-Mobile pre-paid in the U.S. note that T-Mo now supports roaming in Thailand so if you need SMS, say for an OTP, or to initiate a credit card, or even monitor in-bound calls/voice-mail, it is easy to pop the T-Mo SIM into a phone.

I have fairly low expectations from my mJ device/service so I am never disappointed but...

Magicjack: Good idea but many complain of bad service

Magicjack appears to be one of those companies inspiring a steady stream of complaints every month—indeed, every week. And when we limit ourselves to only the past fortnight’s worth of Magicjack letters, we see two consistent trends: complaints about the quality of the service itself, and either difficulties or “hidden” charges involved in porting phone numbers to or from Magicjack.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/magicjack-bad-service-complaints-might-be-justified-hidden-porting-charges-are-not-102113.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/magicjack.html

To me "flaky" is naming a professional sports team "magicJack"!cheesy.gif

MagicJack is an American professional soccer club based in Boca Raton, Florida. The team competed in Women's Professional Soccer for one season until legal challenges caused the team's owner to become banned from the league, the WPS, which subsequently went on hiatus.

MAGICTRICK

DAN BORISLOW'S EYES sparkled as he plied half a dozen of the greatest women soccer players on the planet with hundred-dollar bottles of wine on a rainy evening in April 2011.
Six months earlier, the telecom entrepreneur, whose MagicJack phone service is valued at $450 million, was spending his spare time coaching youth soccer in Palm Beach, Fla. Now he had Abby Wambach and her teammates at his elbows, laughing at his jokes and watching him throw around so much money that, as one player at the dinner recalls, he "seemed to have thousands of dollars in cash in his pocket."

post-9615-0-31384300-1383528780_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-63440200-1383528793_thumb.jp

Well, as a regular MJ user over the past 5 years, I've rarely if ever had any problems with either a) being unable to make a call due to some MJ problem, or b] the call quality being poor on my MJ calls to the U.S.

In fact, on both ends of the calls, the call quality consistently is as good as a regular voice line, and usually better than a comparable Skype call.

I've never done any phone number porting with MJ, so I can't speak to that. But my annual MJ service renewal comes once a year, and I pay a one-time flat fee of (now) $29.95 for annual service... and that's all.

Five years later, my MJ device still works and the company providing service for it shows no signs of disappearing or halting its service.

What are GrooveIP and Obi customers going to be doing next year? How long are customers going to wait until Google brings a comparable voice calling capability into Hangouts?

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue making free no fuss, no muss calls to the U.S., as I've done the past five years, with my MJ.

BTW, I'm using the original MJ device... And contrary to one of the complaints in one of the articles you posted above, I've never had any problems or issues with my older device once MJ came out with its newer models.

The company has stayed in business all these years and has been improving and diversifying its product line... So clearly, there are a lot of other users like me who find value in the service and are willing to continue to paying for what it offers.

If MJ didn't provide free calls to the U.S. with good quality as promised, I and others wouldn't keep paying for the service year after year.

As long as Mr. Borislow doesn't take off to some country, which does not have an extradition agreement with the U.S., on his yacht, we should be fine with mJ for the foreseeable future. whistling.gif

My expectations of mJ are so low that I am rarely disappointed. I do not rely on it for voice communications. Yes, it works OK when my PC is turned on, and when I am home.

Most GrooVeIP "customers" used the free version to extend their GV into the mobile world, so they are out, well, nothing. I paid $4.99 for the paid version of GrooVeIP, which allowed to receive and originate calls anywhere, and I was more than satisfied with the service, which I can still use for another six months.

Obi customers have had free VoIP, and still have an industry-standard VoIP adapter, which can/will be used with VoIP service providers. Obviously mJ or netTalk adapters are non-standard, so cannot be used with other VoIP service providers.

Yes, Google will stop supporting XMPP on May 15, 2014, so six months from now. I do not find it a stretch to think Google will offer us the ability to extend our GV services into the mobile world as they have so publicly committed. The added features/functionality of GV, which are of course free, are very, very, very impressive and useful, and I understand that it is unreasonable to expect the same from mJ. I wouldn't expect my "Flowbee" to trim my nails now would I? tongue.png

Edited by lomatopo