What New Car Would You Buy For 500K Or 600K?

ChiangMai101

Looking to buy a new reliable car with good resale value. If you had 500,000 to spend what would you buy and why?

Would I get a lot more car for my money if I stretched it to 600,000?

Don't intend to run up hundreds of thousands of kms in it and would have it serviced regularly. I think I would feel a lot safer with 4 wheels than 2. (Also, I don't want to get wet and not a great fan of Hair by Helmut - don't judge - I'm female).

just got a mazda2 sedan at 574k baht, and I am impressed with it. cost less than similar honda or toyota, and is at least as good. price included freebies, 1st class Insurance and reg/tax/plates

one thing stands out if you are north of BKK, its got a heater and windshield defroster, none else below 900k baht has

Something NEW for 500 up to 600k, then that would be simple for me, a pickup...... Reason all cars at that price I do not fit in, even if I could manage to get into a little car, not at all sure would be able to drive it or get out again.... Now if they had the 3 door models here wider door to get in and out would be a different matter.

Question about these little 4 doors, if you take out the drivers seat to sit on the rear seat to drive, how do you get in ? even a pickup with the seat right back is cramped but appears to be more room.

Edit: Saying that the NEW Nissan Almera looks to be bigger, looks OK starts at just over 400k to top of the range just under 600k.... only seen it outside, but looks bigger than the Mazda 2... Mazda 2 I tried and don't fit.

Edited by ignis

Either the Nissan Almera 1.2EMT at 455,000B, significantly under budget

price_13.png

Or the Mazda 2 Sports Groove MT at 545,000B (price on this one has been edging upwards)

mazda2grandopening01.jpg

They have a sedan version (Mazda 2 Elegance) but I think its just an uglier twin.

I love to drive manual vehicles. If you're more into autos, have a look at the Ford Fiesta as well as the auto variants of all the above.

I had a similar budget and ended up getting a Ford Ranger (outgoing model) slightly over budget as I realised I'd actually be using it to carry stuff a lot of the time - and I got a good deal due to it being phased out.

just got a mazda2 sedan at 574k baht, and I am impressed with it. cost less than similar honda or toyota, and is at least as good. price included freebies, 1st class Insurance and reg/tax/plates

one thing stands out if you are north of BKK, its got a heater and windshield defroster, none else below 900k baht has

Agreed. That's my wife's car, we bought it about a year ago. Great, no problems or issues, fun to drive, but if you drive a lot not as economical as a Honda Jazz or City. You're right KBB, that heater is really NICE on these cold winter mornings/nights.

I would either buy the new Nissan Almera or a Toyota Vios. Nissan Almera seems to be value for money, has an automatic transmission and is quit roomy. second best model is 563'000.- Baht. I would not go for a second hand car, they are ways to expensive for what you get.

I would not go for a second hand car, they are ways to expensive for what you get.

True on Toyota and Honda, but not on some makes and models, eg:: 2010 Mitsubishi EV - GLS was for sale in a car tent at 610k, that is 260k cheaper in 1 year ......... 2011 model Lancer 1.6 SEI Auto are for sale at about 400k, so saving over 200k on a 6 - 9 month old car, = good value.?

Look at Mazda 3 a 2010 model is around 350-400k cheaper than when they came out of the showroom... 2010 Ford Focus is in the 500 - 600k budget

The Suzuki Swift, Toyota's, Honda's all have lost less then 70k on a 2010, so not worth the money 2nd hand.

Fair enough Ignis, thats whats put me off the top Lancer. If you buy one, second hand as you described, you win once, then in 3 Years you get kicked in the Nuts again. Ill stick with the Boring top end City when i change. "erm" i think , not sure yet.coffee1.gif .

I agree. My old boring City 06 top model can be sold for app. 400-440k bath according to one-2car. I paid 480k bath 2 years ago so it very limited what I have lost when and if I sell it. The car is fairly comfortable, roomy and never missed a beat and does the job: get you from A to B.

Thais want Toyota or Honda (sedans) and nothing you tell them can made them change their minds.

Not sure that is 100%, If you look at the price now of a 06 Honda City and a 06 Ford Focus there around the same price, on paper the Focus cost 300k+ more out of the showroom NEW...... so yes lost a lot, but look again,.. it appears the big loss is in the 1st year - 18 months.... as you look on one2car check out say a 09 City and 09 Focus there around the same price...... to me that is a good deal + will lose from then on about the same as a City..

Also a bit odd 'Thais want Toyota or Honda (sedans) and nothing you tell them can made them change their minds' most of my Thai friend that have bought new cars this year have gone to Mazda, 2's and 3's and 4 Thai friend now have the BT50,.. only one had a 323 Mazda before........ 2nd hand yes they want Toyota cars or Isuzu pickups

Edit: Love the Audi A6, but look at the price 2nd hand 01 model is the same price as the 01 Camry, yet the Audi cost 1.6 million more out of the showroom.. No way would I buy a new A6, but love my older one., bought over 3 years ago

Edited by ignis

Perhaps the O.P. can take advantage of the Money Back incentive for 1St Time Buyers. No ones mentioned that. A few of you Guys who know what a "CAR o LINER" is wouldn't even look at Second Hand, without knowing its history. On our Factory Estate they Re Build wrecks, not knocking the results in any way, but if you had seen the Blood that dissapears from the roof-linings , you wouldn't want one. Or its Bad Luck . Up to You.

I own a Honda City - I'd recommend it, it's a fine budget run-around and however anyone dismisses such vehicles as 'shopping carts', I've happily driven all over Thailand in my City, it's been fine, right up to Chiang Mai and as far south as Samui. I think it's well built and gets around 13kpl city, 17-18kpl highway on E20 fuel, the 'looks' of the car were appealing at first but have worn thin over time - I don't care.

I did drive a friend's Nissan March recently and my opinion is that although they are cheaper, the build-quality is poorer, they aren't as spacious and the 20kpl fuel economy claim can't always be realized. The Almera which 'noboo' mentioned is a sedan version of the March and I haven't driven it.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the look of the Mazda. Seems the lower end Honda City is good value for its size. Pricing of the Almera is certainly attractive but I am concerned it lacks power. An important factor to me is resale value - that means I must check out Toyota then! (Although here in Aus Toyota has suffered with a number of major recalls in the last few years).

I will explore 2nd hand as well - seems there are good buys to be had - but must remember to check for flood damage! From the replies it seems that Mitsubishi, Mazda and Nissan lose value fairly quickly and Toyota and Honda keep their value...? Is this correct?

BTW, how do Thai dealerships respond to requests for a test drive?

Thanks for all the replies. I like the look of the Mazda. Seems the lower end Honda City is good value for its size. Pricing of the Almera is certainly attractive but I am concerned it lacks power. An important factor to me is resale value - that means I must check out Toyota then! (Although here in Aus Toyota has suffered with a number of major recalls in the last few years).

I will explore 2nd hand as well - seems there are good buys to be had - but must remember to check for flood damage! From the replies it seems that Mitsubishi, Mazda and Nissan lose value fairly quickly and Toyota and Honda keep their value...? Is this correct?

BTW, how do Thai dealerships respond to requests for a test drive?

If you like the looks of the Mazda go for it. Make sure you get a model with min 1 airbag.

I brought a 2 hand car and never had any problems but if you go that way be extremely careful, there are MANY pitfalls. If 2 hand make sure the car has full service history from the dealer ship as a minimum, and best bring somebody along that knows what to look for.

Yes you can normal test drive a car here but if you go to a dealer ship a for a test drive don't say: can I test one, but ask: when can I test drive one. Remember they are there for you and not the other way around, so be firm but polite. Then there is the question about what you can get for free if buying a new car: 1st class Insurance and different things for the car like tinted windows and the list goes on, that all depends on car brand/location and how good a negotiator you are.

If you don't mind driving a manual with a nice slick gearbox, the mazda 2 MT is good value at 545K. The updated version has twin airbags. The only thing this model lacks that would concern me would be the absence of alarm/immobiliser, but sure you can get that aftermarket. The mazda 2 is selling very well so I wouldn't be too worried about resale. The auto version is 575K or so, I believe. In comparison the jazz MT is 590K and you will not likely get free insurance, which you would get with the mazda 2 - and the mazda is quite fast at delivering their vehicles. Who knows when you can get a city/jazz now...

If you don't mind driving a manual with a nice slick gearbox, the mazda 2 MT is good value at 545K. The updated version has twin airbags. The only thing this model lacks that would concern me would be the absence of alarm/immobiliser, but sure you can get that aftermarket. The mazda 2 is selling very well so I wouldn't be too worried about resale. The auto version is 575K or so, I believe. In comparison the jazz MT is 590K and you will not likely get free insurance, which you would get with the mazda 2 - and the mazda is quite fast at delivering their vehicles. Who knows when you can get a city/jazz now...

here in Phuket, considering mazdas free insurance etc, a city auto is at least 50k more than mazda2 sedan auto at 574k baht. In addition Mazda2 at this price has mags, foldable rearseats and soundsystem auto volume not available in city at his price. kit is otherwise very similar. ad on the spot delivery, and mazda2 was an easy choise for us

But with the City you get 120 BHP, 18 more than a Mazda 2. Diddy Mags aint worth NUFIN.. just look at a Toyo /G.M.Truck . !!!. Sound Systems should be banned, like Tints and Mobile Phones , Mother in Laws, Kids , and everything else that Clucks up a Serious Pleasure Drive.. coffee1.gif

I did drive a friend's Nissan March recently and my opinion is that although they are cheaper, the build-quality is poorer, they aren't as spacious and the 20kpl fuel economy claim can't always be realized. The Almera which 'noboo' mentioned is a sedan version of the March and I haven't driven it.

Having driven both City and March recently, i can concur that the City is for sure, better built, but then if you compare prices of the bog standard versions of these two, you are talking about 380k for the March, versus 570k for the City, so i think Nissan need not make apology for this, and if you are interested in saving money, the March is a great buy. And if it is too small, the Almera, which starts at 420k, has ample room - arguably more than the City.

Horses for courses and all that.

And if you are looking for something that saves you a bit of money, but with similar quality to the City, the Mazda 2 fits the bill very well.

Dont fore-get the Base Civic..The Bar Girls Dream . .Same price as the Top City, and it cheesy.gif beats her Girl Friend whose clown bought a Truck thats Parked next to Moms shed. And still they come. .

You sounds like an expert on the subject ehh WS.

Since I don't I will take your word for it, lol.

At this price range, you're obviously looking for the best value you can get, so in that light I probably wouldn't recommend buying a car - unless you are able to take advantage of the first car buyer rebate..

At 600K, you're getting just 400-420K worth of 4-door mini-car, once you work out what you're paying in taxes. The same amount of money in an extra cab pickup gets you ~550K worth of vehicle, and in a 4-door pickup, ~500K worth. It doesn't matter what car it is, it will never hold it's value like a lower-end pickup will.

If it just has to be car, my recommendation would be the Nissan Almera - it's not only the biggest in it's class, once you consider the overall package, it's just a plain daylight winner when it comes to value for money in the segment.

At this price range, you're obviously looking for the best value you can get, so in that light I probably wouldn't recommend buying a car - unless you are able to take advantage of the first car buyer rebate..

At 600K, you're getting just 400-420K worth of 4-door mini-car, once you work out what you're paying in taxes. The same amount of money in an extra cab pickup gets you ~550K worth of vehicle, and in a 4-door pickup, ~500K worth. It doesn't matter what car it is, it will never hold it's value like a lower-end pickup will.

If it just has to be car, my recommendation would be the Nissan Almera - it's not only the biggest in it's class, once you consider the overall package, it's just a plain daylight winner when it comes to value for money in the segment.

It would be interesting to look at this in greater detail - I don't have all the answers but pickups pay more road tax than cars, diesel engines cost more to maintain and service than gasoline ones, parts are dearer (tires and timing belts come to mind) and higher vehicle value means a larger insurance premium, I wonder how the costs pan-out over five years.

As for the Almera, the 20kpl eco-car rating is misleading. 10,000km in my City getting 13kpl on E20 (30b/litre) costs ฿23k so you'd think it'll only cost ฿15k in an Almerma, but that's simply not true - they've awarded the claim based on engine-stop technology. A recent Bangkok Post review of the Almera reported 13kpl city, 17kpl highway - I can get that in my City.

Dont fore-get the Base Civic..The Bar Girls Dream . .Same price as the Top City, and it cheesy.gif beats her Girl Friend whose clown bought a Truck thats Parked next to Moms shed. And still they come. .

...wand-master you're the star...Merry Christmas thumbsup.gif

It would be interesting to look at this in greater detail - I don't have all the answers but pickups pay more road tax than cars, diesel engines cost more to maintain and service than gasoline ones, parts are dearer (tires and timing belts come to mind) and higher vehicle value means a larger insurance premium, I wonder how the costs pan-out over five years.

As for the Almera, the 20kpl eco-car rating is misleading. 10,000km in my City getting 13kpl on E20 (30b/litre) costs ฿23k so you'd think it'll only cost ฿15k in an Almerma, but that's simply not true - they've awarded the claim based on engine-stop technology. A recent Bangkok Post review of the Almera reported 13kpl city, 17kpl highway - I can get that in my City.

Looks like you got it all backwards...giggle.gif