Uk Passport Renewal - Countersignature

All UK Passport applications have to now be processed through a Hong Kong centre.

My wife's UK passport will soon expire and a Form C1 application will be submitted.

One of the requirements is that the Form C1 is Countersigned by a person of British nationality who has known the applicant for at least two years. The explanatory notes with Form C1 allow that a citizen of equivalent standing in the country in which you are resident (in this case Thailand) could be acceptable if the Passport Manager considers their signature to be acceptable.

Has someone else faced this requirement and how was it resolved. Who is the 'Passport Manager' in Hong Kong?

i am sure if you read the webpages of the Hong Kong passport section it says no counter signatory is required for renewals of passports.

Thanks, I had already downloaded all the Hong Kong procedures and forms and read them until my head hurts but cannot see any exception for a RENEWAL. When I renewed my own UK PP at the BKK Consulate a couple of years ago no countersignature was required for a renewal and I expect that to prevail but I cannot find it in black and white.

i am sure if you read the webpages of the Hong Kong passport section it says no counter signatory is required for renewals of passports.

Thanks, I had already downloaded all the Hong Kong procedures and forms and read them until my head hurts but cannot see any exception for a RENEWAL. When I renewed my own UK PP at the BKK Consulate a couple of years ago no countersignature was required for a renewal and I expect that to prevail but I cannot find it in black and white.

I renewed mine in August I remember seeing it on the HKG website but as you say it is not there now.

the following link states you do not need countersignature if you are renewing and you do not look significantly different.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174152

if you just read the application form, it does not state this, so it is another area of confusion for applicants, which can easily remedied with a few additional lines. i just got my new passport back this morning, and i did not fill in the countersignature.

Thanks, I eventually found that statement.

In view of the fact that you have been issued a new PP without countersignature of the application and photograph(?) I shall do the same for my wife's.

Did you use the DHL route or Thai Post EMS? If DHL what was the cost so that I can compare.

Bill, the notes relating to countersignatures on passport photographs state that a countersignature is not required if there has been no significant change to the facial appearance of the applicant. In you son's case I assume that he would have had a (first) 5 year PP and that now his appearance is changed considerably.

I thought that one had to use the DHL service. Does this mean I can renew my passport, using the Thai EMS service from my local village ? Has anyone used this and got their passport back without problems ?

You do not need to use DHL: I used Thai ems and it arrived in HK in two days. As you do not need to send original pasport or original supporting documents, ems is more than adequate, and you save money.

Would I need a countersignature for my son's passport?

It expired this year and he is now 7 years old.

It is best to include a countersignature for children's renewals, because their apprearance will change more than adults. don't forget that you can use a local Thai person of good standing to countersign e.g head teacher or doctor. i think many people find it hard to find a British citizen to fit the bill, especially in Thailand.

It is best to include a countersignature for children's renewals, because their apprearance will change more than adults. don't forget that you can use a local Thai person of good standing to countersign e.g head teacher or doctor. i think many people find it hard to find a British citizen to fit the bill, especially in Thailand.

That would be useful. My neighbour is Dutch, I also have neighbours from Australia, Switzerland, France, Austria and a mate from Scotland who lives about 50 km away, a Brit about 65 km, another 125km, an Austrian same city and a guy from Mexico.

Brits are a bit thin on the ground around here in Nakhon Nowhere.

Perhaps the best bet would be the Head teacher form his school 65 km away.

taken from directgov website -

Do you need to get your application countersigned?

You need to get your application countersigned if you are applying:

• for a first passport
  • to replace a lost stolen or damaged passport
  • to renew a passport for a child aged 11 or under
  • to renew a passport when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last or current passport

link here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174151

Thanks for the DHL and EMS prices.

I sent a single page document to UK last year EMS International and it cost 900 odd baht so 400 baht to Hong Kong is good plus convenient since I have no DHL office at my location.

The only reason that I mentioned DHL is because the Bangkok British Embassy website states that a special price has been negotiated by them with DHL for PP applications!

By the way, avoid indicating on the envelope that the contents are a PP.

I spoke with the Embassy, in person, about 2 weeks ago about this as I have to get a passport for my daughter (2 months old). They have confirmed that the (please forgive my useless transliteration) "Phu Yai Bahn" (Village Chief) can do the I.D. signing for you. I asked again to be sure and the lady confirmed that this is the case.

I spoke with the Embassy, in person, about 2 weeks ago about this as I have to get a passport for my daughter (2 months old). They have confirmed that the (please forgive my useless transliteration) "Phu Yai Bahn" (Village Chief) can do the I.D. signing for you. I asked again to be sure and the lady confirmed that this is the case.

This is the case for new passports not renewals

Is it me ? am I to old ? or just daft ?

I have had a UK Passport for 50 years, never can I remember it being so difficult, I have read and re-read over the past weeks till my head and eyes hurt, yet cannot work out what is now needed, maybe because i am dyslexic ? maybe because of poor memory can't remember what I just read... Before what ever Country I have been living in the UK Embassy dealt with Applications = Simple

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction please........... Nowhere can i find the price of the Passport... It says on many pages + website to pay in HK $, Nowhere can I find the total price in HK $ ?............ [feel sure it was on a website last year]... All I can find in UK Embassy Thailand is price in Baht.

Where do you get a cheque made out in HK $ in or around Bang Yai ?

On the application Form you must fill in Parent names, OK fine, there date of Birth ? I have NO idea, date of there marriage ? I have No idea , I was not born or even thought of at the time.......... How do you find this out ? Mother died over 30 years ago, Father over 10.......

I have just 1x empty page in PP and it runs out in 10 months so must sort this out in the next month or so.

As with many things/Laws in the UK, new Laws come in but the old one is still there, so trying to read stuff I have no idea if it is new or old..

Got photo done yesterday, now that is difficult, as says must be white or light grey background on website, had to have an argument with the Kodak shop owner as they said ALL are done on bright blue, also the Kodak owner said without my glasses on, but stuck to my ground and kept them on [as they are on in my old PP] after 40 mins managed to get them done with a dirty white background...

I phoned the UK Embassy last year and asked abut countersignatures, they said on the phone my Thai Dentist their signature would be acceptable, with there rubber stamp. I have used the same dentist for over 8 years..

Same as the Form say you MUST send the old PP back with the application........ ? yet know you only need to send a Copy of ID info page....

It says to allow 4 weeks yet on the website in Thailand it says 6 - 7 weeks.......... So say we now live in a age of speed ? can't see 6-7 weeks being faster than the 3 days in UK Embassy Passports.

In my experience, it's not important who you get to sign the thing. Any British person seems to work, any Thai person who doesn't drive a tuk tuk seems to work too.

Is the only way to pay for the renewal by visa?

edit ah I found it

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus courier fee) either by credit card using the

credit card form, or by International Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction please........... Nowhere can i find the price of the Passport... It says on many pages + website to pay in HK $, Nowhere can I find the total price in HK $ ?............ [feel sure it was on a website last year]... All I can find in UK Embassy Thailand is price in Baht.

http://ukinhongkong....-hk-dollars.pdf

Edited by Johnniey

Yes thanks, found that......

Looking for the Debit card form, hours latter still not found where this Form is to download ????

Also cannot find out about printing the C1 Form ?

is it all single side ? or [like the TM 7 Form I print a lot] Double sided ?

Edited by ignis

Yes thanks, found that......

Looking for the Debit card form, hours latter still not found where this Form is to download ????

Also cannot find out about printing the C1 Form ?

is it all single side ? or [like the TM 7 Form I print a lot] Double sided ?

I'm confused also - I looked at the credit card form which states that they DON'T accept debit cards.

C1 form here - http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/central-content-pdfs/form-c1.pdf

right click on the page and press 'print'.

I'm confused also - I looked at the credit card form which states that they DON'T accept debit cards.

C1 form here -

right click on the page and press 'print'.

Yes thanks......... But is the C1 Forms all printed single sided ? or on both sides of the paper ?.......... C1 is 5 pages, do you print on 5 pieces of paper or page 1 & 2 on the back of side 1 and 3 & 4 on the back of side 3 ??

Re payment......... what page is the most up to date ? Do you read the info on getting a UK Passport renewal on the British Embassy website Thailand or on the Hong Kong website ?

If clearly states on one that only credit cards are accepted, on the other that Debit cards are accepted if they display the Visa/Mastercard Logo..?????? confused how do others pay ? [ I asked my Bank yesterday for a Bank Draft in HK $ even took the printed info from the British Embassy website, they have not and can give no info how to get]

the British Embassy website Thailand also say can be paid in Thai baht at the Embassy in Bangkok ????? and give the fees for doing so... is that new info or info of 2 years ago ?

It is not just me as i know another guy, say it is impossible to understand and twice his application has been returned, and he did get a Bank Draft in HK $...... His passport ran out 18 months ago !! [+ his extensions of stay in Thailand]

I mailed an expired PP and application to HK by EMS International at 1130 am on 06 Jan from a Pay at Post Hua Hin and the cost was ThB 605 (based on weight). Tracking it on-line it was at Suwanabhumi midnight on 07 Jan ready to fly out.

Half the price of DHL

I mailed an expired PP and application to HK by EMS International at 1130 am on 06 Jan from a Pay at Post Hua Hin and the cost was ThB 605 (based on weight). Tracking it on-line it was at Suwanabhumi midnight on 07 Jan ready to fly out.

Half the price of DHL

I hope you did not sent the expired PP as that is not required as per the instructions on the website. And without a passport or copy in Thailand you could be arrested.

I sent mine by EMS as well, 400 baht for EMS and about 50 for the package.